Progress Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Progress Interview Questions

Interviews at Progress

2.8

Software Engineer Entry Level Interview

Interview

HR phone interview then on site

BI Data Warehouse Architect Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Progress.

Interview

The interview panel consisted of 3 people. The interview was somewhat odd. One person was asking most of the question. And he didn't really want to understand what I was trying to answer. I guess I had to answer them the way he thinks. Based on his questions and reactions to mine, I felt he doesn't implement what he is talking about. But he knows things theoretically. For example, he told me that MERGE statement is a substitution for CDC in data logging in non-enterprise edition of SQL. And the way it was said was a bit odd, when he asked me how I implement data logging when no CDC is available, I suggested to build a logging tables (which I've done in the past) and he asked me with the smirk "Don't you know about merge?". And I said, no, they are 2 different things - one is for logging (CDC) and another is updating (MERGE). He (and the manager) ignored that.
    He asked me about how do I denormalize a highly normalized database (he said in 6th normal form - so this company is probably working with such complex databases). I said I would look into relationships between tables, to determine what are attributes and what are facts. But I couldn't elaborate as he just started talking over me. He asked can you have a fact table without numbers? And I said no you have to have numbers in the fact table. Some of them could be not facts, like invoice number. He said, again with smirk - that would be degenerate dimensions. Not sure what he meant? yes, that would be degenerate dimension but it is still a number that is IN the fact table. I don't know if he denormalized any databases before but if he did, the question is too broad and there is no one sentence answer.
    Then he asked me a SQL join question. What would be a result of SELECT * from A LEFT OUTER JOIN B on A.ID = B.ID where B.ID is null. A had 1,2,3,4,5,6 and B had 1,2,3,7,9. So I said the result is 4,5,6. One of the people said NO. So I have added results side by side and NULLs to show how I arrived. I was sure I was right. I was pretty nervous at this point. Then he changed the WHERE clause to A.ID is null. I said it will bring nothing. Based on his face I was wrong, so I've asked him - is it a right answer? He told me that I need to check it myself when I come back home from the interview. I am pretty sure it is right, there are no null values for A table.
    The way he asked questions I couldn't understand what exactly he wanted to know. He asked me what is the template for initial ETL package I would create. I frankly not sure what he meant. So I said I would have data sources and data flow task and in the data flow task placeholders for transformations for staging area, etc. I said it depends on the task. He was not in agreement and kind of moved on. When talking about data execution plan he has asked me what would slow down the query. My answer was indexes and subselects. Then he asked what is table scan and Index seek. The names by context offer the answer, right? But I was so nervous I wasn't able to answer it and that was in my opinion the only answer that I didn't have. That and "template" for the ETL.
    So yes, I have to admit, it was emotionally very hard, intense and somewhat humiliating interview. I wonder if it was a technique to see if I can work under pressure? Obviously I can not as they told me I am in between junior and mid-level on DW development and they need someone with better skills. I am somewhat relieved that I never have to work with them.

Senior UX Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Progress in March 2016.

Interview

Phone screen by HR. Technical interview by hiring manager that lasted about thirty minutes. Followed by onsite interview with the team. Very friendly staff, smart people, easy to talk to.

Interview Questions

• General questions on experience, expertise, process, familiarity with software applications, aglie, scrum, etc. Explained about company culture and benefits.   Answer Question

Contract Renewal Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Progress (Morrisville, NC (US)) in July 2015.

Interview

Applied online, phone interview with recruiter 30 minutes to an hour, phone interview with hiring manager, in person interview with VP of renewals, phone interview with sales force admin, follow up calls with hiring manager and recruiter. Everyone was punctual and polite, clear throughout process they were highly interested in me. Gerry (the recruiter) did a fantastic job selling the company.

Interview Questions

• Lots of brain teasers, they want to see your thought process   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was prepared to negotiate, but the offer they presented me was actually more or less exactly what I should be making in the area with my experience.

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lowell, MA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Progress (Lowell, MA (US)) in April 2016.

Interview

It was 2 rounds Interview.
    First round was a phone conversation, they basically select you in this round.
    They check whether your skills and experience meet their current openings.
    Second round was onsite.
    Lots of discussion with different stake holders of the team.

Software Engineering (Technical) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Progress (Bedford, MA (US)) in July 2018.

Interview

The interview consisted of an informal phone screen and then an onsite. The onsite was an hour-long, with mostly behavioral and one technical portion. For the technical portion, I was given the option of one 10 minute whiteboard coding problem or several smaller, more generic CS questions. I chose the latter path.

Interview Questions

• Mostly stuff related to NodeJS (they will ask you things related to what you will be working on)   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progress (Waltham, MA (US)) in January 2015.

Interview

There were three rounds, Two Phone and one on-site.
    Phone interview was mainly behavioral questions. Where as on-site interview was purely technical mostly related to Database, Scripting, Linux. And also few questions were related to previous work experience.

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Progress (Boston, MA (US)) in April 2014.

Interview

The interview process what pretty straight forward. There were several interviews starting with the HR manager and then my direct boss. They were quick to respond and honest in their feedback. If the interview process was an honest assessment of how the job would be I would be very happy; however, things have not played out that way.

Interview Questions

• Questions ranged from what did you do in your previous position, to where do you see yourself in 5 years.   Answer Question

26 Jan 2017 – Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your review. We strive to make the interview process simple and straight-forward, as you mentioned. Please reach out to your manager and/or the Human Capital team to discuss why your... More

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Progress (Boston, MA (US)) in May 2016.

Interview

Had three interviews (two by phone and one in person). I also had a chance to speak with peers, which helped me feel comfortable about joining the company. The hiring manager also assured me that they don't cap earnings and want their people to do well.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your experience selling technology to large enterprise?   1 Answer

26 Jan 2017 – Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your review. Yes, we often have candidates meet with their peers in order to gain a better understanding of what it would be like to work in the role and to learn more about the culture.

Renewal Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Progress (Bedford, MA (US)) in May 2015.

Interview

Two phone interviews and one in-person interview. The phone interviews I felt were more important in the screening process. by the time I got to the in-person interview it was very informal and I felt they had already decided that they would hire me. Everyone was friendly and casual and made me feel very comfortable.

Interview Questions

• Department Manager (no longer with company) asked me brain-teaser questions, which was new and interesting. Otherwise standard interview questions, they were very interested in hearing me sell myself for the position, but in a way that made me feel confident.   1 Answer

26 Jan 2017 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your review. We are glad that you enjoyed the interview process and appreciated the questions that were asked. Welcome to the team!