Salesforce Sales Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Salesforce Sales Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Salesforce

3.8

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Salesforce (Chicago, IL (US)) in November 2018.

Interview

Had a series of interviews over the course of a few weeks. Everyone was very friendly and very transparent in the process and next steps.

Interviews:
30 minute phone call with recruiter
1 hour phone interview with hiring manager
3-30 minute onsite interviews with other managers and a VP of department
1 hour long panel demo where I was given a case study and had to present to 6 different people acting as different members of the c-suite

Interview Questions

• During the panel interview they will ask you a handful of questions about your use case. It was important to ask qualifying questions back instead of answering the question right away and not getting caught up in the weeds to show you can control the room   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Salesforce

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Salesforce (Atlanta, GA (US)) in September 2018.

Interview

Met with my potential boss in person. Phone interviews with peers and sales manager that I would be supporting. Had to do a mock sales presentation based on a case study I received. 60 minute presentation included demo of SalesForce

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to go from owning your own company to working for somebody else.   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for SalesForce   Answer Question

Sales Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Salesforce.

Interview

As a remote employee, all interviews were over the phone. I was referred by another employee that I had previously worked with. Spoke with the hiring manager, HR Recruiter, two members of the sales team, another SE, and a director.
    The most nerve-wracking part of the process was preparing and presenting a live demo of functionality I built.

Interview Questions

• Why did I want to be an SE?
      What did I like most about my current job?
      What is my learning style?
      Explain my sales experience.   Answer Question

Sales Engineer Interview

Interview

The following is my experience at the NYC and East coast offices:
    Pros:
    - Most of recruiters were very professional and responsive
    - Great successful product and smart tech teams.
    Cons:
    - For the in person interviews I sensed racial biases at the NYC office, they seem to do a good job with women equality, but seem to have subtle and widspread racial biases.
    - I sensed they have a great product and technical skilled teams and that pretty much makes up for all the other flaws that exist. For example: their management expertise is average and work-life balance seems to be below average.
    - They seem to have an arrogant attitude probably because they are #1 in their industry. At the panel interview, not even the least bit of a smile from most of them.
    - Overall, even though they have lots going for them, I didn't feel like a good fit because of subtle racial biases, lack of a supportive team environment (more task driven than people driven), average line manager expertise, and below average work-life balance.
    I am glad I didn't have to work for them because I got something better after sometime.

Interview Questions

• Thru your career choices do you have any regrets in the choices you made?   1 Answer

Salesforce Response

15 Dec 2017 – SVP, Global Recruiting

Thank you for sharing your experience. Equality is a core value for Salesforce, and we train our managers on inclusive hiring practices and ways to prevent biases. The information you've shared is... More

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Salesforce (San Francisco, CA (US)) in March 2017.

Interview

Do you like wasting your time? Do you like begging for and receiving charity? Do you like dull managers? Do you like being low-balled on salary? Welcome to Salesforce.

I was contacted by a recruiter for a phone screen. Asked usual questions and came to my salary and would not budge when I said I don't feel comfortable sharing it.
    Recruiter: "Finance won't let me proceed on interviews without your salary, its just our standard process. I just can't let you proceed with the next interview without that information."
    Right from the start they make you feel like they are doing charity for you and attempt to bully you. I didn't cave in and kept deflecting for later discussion on salary.

Next had a couple of phone screen interviews followed by on-site with managers. Sales Engineering Directors were outright dull in their responses to my questions.
    Me: "What's your favorite part about working at Salesforce?"
    SE Manager: "The people are just so great. We work hard, we have fun, its a nice company."
    That's really your best answer and way to inspire me on joining the company? So at all the other companies people aren't great, don't work hard and don't have fun? haha all their answers were just as dull.

Next was the final on-site presentation. They give you a week to prepare for it. They attempt to throw you off with random questions during the demo and won't let you finish within stipulated time. I wanted to laugh at how lame some attempts to waste time are. Overall I've given over 1,000 demos, I'm used to it. I kept going and finished in time, gained consensus from the room that it went well. They wouldn't provide any feedback though and we were out of time so I left. I emailed managers and HR about it repeatedly but no feedback.
    You're the candidate. After you spent 1 week preparing for the interview, deliver it on-site, how dare you ask for feedback? You're just a candidate among many. You should feel privileged and feel our charity should we decide to proceed with you towards an offer.

What came next was so appalling I couldn't have predicted. Recruiter delayed for 2 weeks without responding. I got another offer with a deadline during this time. Recruiter calls me on the day of my other offer deadline saying they need to interview all other candidates before making a decision. Are you kidding me? No presentation feedback yet and now making me feel like they would select me from a list of candidates and do me an charitable favor that I need to wait for.
    Recruiter: "I can't tell you what to do with your other offer but this is our process and we will need to wait for other interviews to be completed before making a decision. We need to wait for 4 more days."
    18 more days pass and not a word. I have given up, not bothered to even reach out to them because why beg for charity? I assumed its over, accepted the other companies' offer and couldn't have been happier.

Funnily enough, I finally hear from the recruiter saying they want to give me an offer. Haha sounds like the process and other candidates all worked out well.
    The fun part was they decided to offer me less than my current salary. Remember I never gave them my salary? They decided to low ball me. I thanked her for the time and said I won't be able to accept it because its less than my current salary.
    Recriter: "Okay tell us your current salary and we'll match it". Nah, thanks, I don't need you to do anything.

Trust me spend your time elsewhere, its not worth it. I'm just disappointed that a well-known company can be so broken and depressing. I read elsewhere that Salesforce is not the cutting-edge place it used to be. Now I got to experience it first hand. Good luck to their team, hopefully they will improve in the future.

Interview Questions

• They will try to throw you off with random questions during the demo, just keep calm and deflect.   Answer Question

Salesforce Response

27 Apr 2017 – SVP, Global Recruiting

Thank you for sharing your experience and bringing this to our attention. The etiquette and issues you encountered during your interview process are very disappointing. This review has been flagged... More

Sales Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Salesforce in April 2014.

Interview

Lots of interviews. Nice people. Focus on previous roles. Many of the same questions across multiple interviews. Many interviews were trying to get to know me - my background, interests. Many questions focused on the culture fit.

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Salesforce (New York, NY (US)) in June 2013.

Interview

I was referred to SFDC by a former boss who was a sales manager there at the time. Recruiter reached out immediately for an initial screening. Sooner after, he scheduled time with the hiring manager approximately a week later. The call went well and he outlined next steps including a mock presentation and a sample scenario he would like to me cover, which I took as a good sign. Multiple weeks went by and eventually I had to reached out to the recruiter several times to get an update. Eventually he scheduled another interview with the same manager, this time in person. The manager did not remember anything about me or how I found SFDC, which was a turn off. He did express his disappointment that I was unable to attend a SFDC hiring event a few days earlier, although I never committed to attending. Over the next couple of weeks, I had calls with the manager's counterparts in other regions as well as his boss. None of the conversations were very compelling and SFDC lost its luster for me by the end. The boss did mention he had a concern that I did not have previous experience in a dedicated sales engineer role, but asked if I was open to looking at other positions within the company potentially. I agreed to explore other options, but never heard back from anyone at SFDC nor did I reach out. Other SFDC recruiters have reached out since but my experience was so poor I would not interview with them again.

Interview Questions

• Rather standard question for a software sales engineer position.. nothing difficult or thought provoking   1 Answer

Sales Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Salesforce.

Interview

Interviews were over the phone, with one onsite presentation/demo. The questions were a little about my experience, and a lot more about how I would handle certain situations. The interviewer wanted to see a flexible approach to sales situations and presenting demos, and was interested in how I would make the decision about how and when to engage customers and present demos. The interviewer was looking for my approach to customer discovery, and also how I would show business process and value rather than talking about software functionality exclusively.

Interview Questions

• Building and giving a demo, with the audience throwing in distractions, was the toughest part.   3 Answers

Negotiation

Salesforce provides fairly good terms and compensation (though others do pay more) and there's very little negotiation. The background check was quite extensive.

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Salesforce (Cincinnati, OH (US)) in August 2011.

Interview

2 phone interviews and 1 video interview (Skype)

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Salesforce (New York, NY (US)) in February 2012.

Interview

Multiple phone/skype/in person interviews followed by onsite presentation interview where I had to deliver an actual demo to the team.

Interview Questions

• Given my success, why do I want to leave my former employer   1 Answer

Negotiation

Standard offer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.