SmarterTravel Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

SmarterTravel Interview Questions

Interviews at SmarterTravel

3.3

Computer Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at SmarterTravel (New York, NY (US)) in December 2009.

Interview

Had a Skype interview with one of their developers. He seemed disappointed I didn't have a webcam, even though the interview had been described as a "phone" interview. We spoke a bit about my background and goals, and about what I thought my strengths were. The interviewer gave me a programming problem which did seem to draw upon my strengths: write a function in C to compress a string using Run-Length Encoding. He watched (using a sort of remote assistance product from JoelOnSoftware.com) as I entered the code in Visual Studio. We never tried to compile or run it. I thought I got the function basically done (90% or so) and then talked about it a bit. I thought I did well, but I was quickly informed via e-mail that I would not be receiving an offer. In retrospect, I answered incorrectly on a question about the worst-case size of the output- it can actually be significantly bigger than the input. (This fact hit my during my morning commute the next day). Also, I correctly identified some edge cases but left them marked with "to do" comments. I guess the interviewer didn't like that, but frankly I find these sorts of Rube Goldberg Remote Desktop / extemporaneous interviews to be agonizing, and I guess I'm going to have to either get lucky or find an employer that values other things. The staff at Oyster.com seemed like decent people, though, and they didn't waste any more of my time than was absolutely necessary, which I liked. I do think that luck and what I'll call IT / home theater ability played a bit too much of a role here.

Interview Questions

• Write a C function to encode a string using RLE encoding   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at SmarterTravel (Boston, MA (US)) in February 2013.

Interview

called for an in-person interview through campus career fair, emailed for an available time to interview, there would be 2 interview each of 45 minutes, The office and the employees are very nice, They do not leave you alone while in the office. Someone is always around to make you fell comfortable.

Interview Questions

• Given an array find a set of the integers whose sum is equal to a given number, using hashmap.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SmarterTravel (Boston, MA (US)).

Interview

The hiring process was very positive. The phone screen was very pleasant and I was asked a variety of java coding questions. After that I was invited on site to meet with the various team members. I got more design questions than specific coding questions.

Overall I was very impressed with Smarter Travel. They were a great group of people and I really enjoyed meeting them all.

Interview Questions

• How would you design a system to quickly query a database of a million possible keywords   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at SmarterTravel (Boston, MA (US)) in July 2016.

Interview

Phone screen led to an in person technical interview. All in all, fairly painless to schedule.

Everybody was very nice and personable and folks seemed to be engaged, I reckon they've got the interview process on lockdown. Most of the questions were fairly easy at first glance, but had were iterated upon adding extra requirements as you reached each incremental solution.

Why did I rate this a negative experience? Well, thats due to the fact that I was told that they prided themselves on not leaving candidates hanging and that I'd be hearing back from them the next day regarding their decision. They also noted that they don't play the "we don't give feedback" game. Next day came and went. Next week came and went. I sent a quick e-mail asking for feedback assuming I hadn't been selected to move on, and no response. That irks me, quite a bit.

Interview Questions

• Given a very long text file (say, War and Peace), how would you provide a list of words and the number of times they appear in the file?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SmarterTravel in January 2016.

Interview

I met with various teams over a five hour period, consisting of a character interview with a rep from HR, the head of the technical team, and two groups of engineers who each conducted hour long technical interviews. Everyone was very kind and seemed to enjoy their jobs, continuously talking up their place of work and how great of a place it was to be.

Interview Questions

• How would you find the greatest contiguous sequence of numbers in an array?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SmarterTravel (Boston, MA (US)) in June 2016.

Interview

Dan Lyons wrote a book about how the software industry is becoming a field in which emotionally intelligent managers present a positive atmosphere to take advantage of young people, and get them to work very long hours. I would describe this company as a typical tech company without the emotional intelligence.

When my interview was booked, I was told that if it wasn't going well, they would not have me meet the CTO, out of respect for my time. This is obviously really because they don't want to waste their CTO's time on a candidate who probably won't be hired, disguised as an effort to be considerate to me. When I showed up, I was asked to fill out a job application, which is highly unusual for high-paid positions, such as software engineer. The form wanted me to sign over permission to contact my previous employers, even though I had been given no notice they might do this during the interview. Past employers should be given notice that they might be called and asked for recommendations. Asking me to sign over permission was unprofessional of them, and threatened to make me look unprofessional to my past employers. I politely declined.

I spent the day doing coding exercises, including coding problems that were specific to niche areas I had never touched before. I got all questions correctly, except for two that had to do with niche topics I had never worked with. Then the manager came in to tell me they had decided to pass because they liked to see people who could demonstrate an ability to write code. I have a degree in Computer Science from a top school, I'm a third generation computer programmer, and I've worked for top tech companies in the past. If this company doesn't think I can demonstrate an ability to write code because my brain is dead after six hours straight of coding exercises, and being asked to code specific things my resume clearly indicated no experience in, then that's a sign that this company does not know how to interview developers.

The manager also said there were other reasons they were declining to move forward, but that companies need to be sensitive about what information they disclose. This sounds distinctly like this company did something illegal.

Interview Questions

• Determine the probability of an ad repeating a certain number of times, given JSON data representing ads and their respective probability weights.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SmarterTravel (New York, NY (US)) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied through my university hackathon and got an video interview. 2 1 hour interviews with 2 coding questions and a design question. The first half was not that good, as the interviewer did not get along very well. The second half was great and I got really comfortable with the whole process.

Interview Questions

• 1. How will you design an online room booking portal?
      2. Was given two input strings and was asked to get the desired output.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at SmarterTravel (Boston, MA (US)) in February 2016.

Interview

Two 1 hour technical interviews with two different team members. SmarterTravel helped sponsor a local hackathon and asked to interview me after they came across my resume that I submitted when I signed up for the hackathon.

The interviews has an overall emphasis on skills listed on resume, I had linux and sql among other things and was asked specific common knowledge questions about both topics.

Interview Questions

• Design a relational database model that will allow a user to search for a hotel by city, book a hotel and cancel a booking.   Answer Question
    • Given a number n return a random integral number from 0 to n exclusive.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SmarterTravel (Boston, MA (US)).

Interview

2 45min sessions with 2 different engineers. Went into an empty room and was asked many technical questions specific to features on the SmarterTravel websites as well as on different interactions. Definitely looking for an experienced candidate.

Interview Questions

• Asked questions about features on their site and how they would be coded as well as data structure and database questions. Wanted to make sure you had read your textbooks in school.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SmarterTravel (Boston, MA (US)) in September 2014.

Interview

This interview had 2 onsite technical rounds. Interview was majorly focussed on resume, some java questions and set of white board coding questions. They asked following questions fizzbuzz problem
    Database design question,Log file processing.

Interview Questions

• fizzbuzz problem
      Database design question
      Log file processing   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.