Southwest Airlines Interview Questions

Updated 26 Aug 2015

2.7

Customer Service Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview

After about 3 weeks of applying I got an email that they were considering me. I had to fill out an intensive application. They called me few days after for a phone interview. after a week they said I passed the phone interview and would like to move me up to 1-on-1 interview. 1on1 interview took another 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• phone interview was relatively easy. why swa? and other customer service questions about situations with customers who were upset.   Answer Question

Ramp Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Minneapolis, MN (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

I received a call for a phone interview from a recruiter roughly a week after submitting an online application. I did however receive an email a few days before from a different recruiter asking me to fill out an online application for the Ramp Agent position. When I received the call, the recruiter started interviewing me for the wrong position. The interview was supposed to be for the Ramp Agent position, but I was being asked questions regarding a Customer Service Agent position. I informed the recruiter that I never applied for the Customer Service Agent position and he said, "Oops, give me a minute to get the correct job description". -.- How unprofessional are these recruiters? I clearly mentioned at the beginning of the interview I was surprised I heard so soon after applying for the Ramp Agent position, but apparently the recruiter wasn't listening. Another situation I noticed is that the recruiter had not read my resume at all before hand; he was going through the provided application I submitted online while I was explaining my background. The interview consisted of questions such as, "Why Southwest?", "What is your previous work experience?", "Can you tell me what you know about the Ramp Agent position?", and "Are you okay with working in various weather conditions, carrying 70 pounds, and being payed $10.28 per hour for the first six months?" I was not asked any behavioral questions. The online application does not fit a lot of information, I had no room to fill in all of my college adduction, high school education, previous jobs, and my current job. I do currently work for Delta as a Ramp Agent, and I don't think the recruiter liked hearing that. The tone of his voice changed from a somewhat preppy sound to a more annoyed sound after I mentioned my current work with Delta. The recruiter did say that he has a few more days of phone interviews and he will call me back in a few days. The key note for this interview compared to other phone interviews I have had with Southwest is that the recruiter specifically said, "I will call you back". Unfortunately, it has been about 5 days and so far no call back. The recruiter also specifically said, "Call me if you have any further questions regarding the Ramp Agent position". I did try calling him so I could ask a question but he did not pick up. I left a voicemail and so far I have heard no response. Overall, this was once again a negative phone interview experience with Southwest Airlines. It seems many of the recruiters lack organization and do not return calls. Besides for my experience in working for a competitor airline, I'm not sure why I would not be chosen for a F2F. I was not given a chance to talk very much, the recruiter spent most of the time talking about the position and reading my application out loud. Any questions I were asked I could not give a somewhat long response answer because the recruiter kept interrupting to either ask a new question or to describe the job more in detail. At the end of the phone interview when he asked if I had any other questions was the only other opportunity I was given to talk more about me and to better answer his questions. However, to no surprise the recruiter interrupted and said if I have no other questions then that's all he has.

Customer Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Chicago, IL (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

Application I applied online April 11th, the entire process after being hired took about 4 weeks – interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Chicago, IL MDW) in April 2015. Interview The process begins with initial resume submission and upon screening by HR department, if skill set match the position, they will give you a phone call followed by an email. The first call basically was to congratulate you and said, that I was being considered for the position. Next, they scheduled a phone interview where they asked how my skill set would help the company. Also, they inquired about my previous customer service experience. Upon conclusion of the phone call, they indicated that I would be moving to the next step in the process, which would entail a face to face interview. The hiring process was quick. I applied in April, the phone interview was 2 weeks later, and face to face interview the following week. The f2f interview was great. There were 2 recruiters that interviewed me that day. The background check process took roughly 3-4 weeks. Southwest background check is “NO JOKE” they are extremely thorough. I suggest that you make sure everything that is on your resume can be verified & reflects what you put on the application. Just be yourself and wait patiently. Best of luck!

Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

applied online within 10 days phone interview another 7 days past then called again and flew me to dallas Tx to get me rehired as FA after resigning from chronic illness of lyme disease in 2009. Took finger prints, filled out drug test paperwork, and took physical aisle airplane walk test with jump seat fit test Passed. Then one on one interview with a recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to return to SWA?   1 Answer

Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Oakland, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (West Oakland, CA (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

Amazing and fun. Very very streamlined and personal. I got to the CJO. The face-to-face interview had a really good vibe from the beginning. It was a panel of three interviewers and myself. They asked great questions allowing me to elaborate and show my Southwest Airline spirit.

Interview Questions

• tell us something we don't already know about Southwest Airlines?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to be a flight attendant?   1 Answer
    • Since you have been a flight attendant before, can you tell us what you miss most about the job?   1 Answer
    • They wanted to know why you are leaving your current employment?   1 Answer
    • They asked me if I knew or had heard of their training curriculum?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. My flight attendant interviewlasted about 30 minutes. They took two minutes to deliberate then call me back in and offered me the job. I wept for joy.

Ramp Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines in April 2015.

Interview

I applied 3 times for the same position (Ramp Agent Part Time) at MSY. 4/30/15- 6/8/15 & 7/14/15. I had a phone interview for the first 2 applications but then had to follow up after weeks of not hearing anything only to get a reply email saying that I wasn't getting the position. For the last application I haven't heard anything yet. Disappointed to say the least.

Interview Questions

• Do you know some of the job duties of the ramp agent.   2 Answers

Supply Chain Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

Got a call waaaaay after I had applied. Don't expect any form of communication right off the bat, you'll be in the dark for months. But then they call you to set up a phone interview, and if you do well at that they will fly you to Dallas for an in-person interview. If they want you they will most likely offer you the job at the end of that interview.

Interview Questions

• Lots of very specific questions about interactions with suppliers and contracts. But don't sweat it, be yourself and insert what experiences apply to the situations they ask about.   Answer Question

Social Media Strategist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

My recruiter was wonderful. She took a great amount of time to explain the culture of the company and ask thought-provoking questions. I ended up not moving on past the phone interview because my experience wasn't a great fit for the role, but the recruiter told me I was a great fit for Southwest and should reach out to her directly if I found other roles I was interested in.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you would be a great fit for Southwest?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

30 minute phone interview. General introduction of the position and the expectations of the job. Moved onto behavioral questions on my resume and background. Ended with an open Q&A for any questions I had about the position or the company. I was told this was a entry level position and they were looking at other candidates that are recent college grad or current college students. I have been working in the industry for about 3 years now. They did not extend me a second round interview. They encouraged me to apply to the "business" side at SW and that I am a really great fit in the company. The reason is my experience is lacking in documentation & gathering requirements and they could not pass up on other candidates who have more experience.

Interview Questions

• What kind of experience do you have with documentation and gathering requirements? What experience do you have working with other teams to solve a problem? What coding languages are you familiar with and have a working knowledge to communicate with the tech teams? Explain why you chose your college major and what career aspirations do you have in the future?   Answer Question

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online and 2 weeks later got a call from the recruiter and set up a phone screening. After the phone screening, I got an invitation to fly to Dallas for a panel interview. They flew me up there from Houston and I had my interview with 2 of the people on the team and the recruiter. They were all very pleasant, and after that, I flew back on the same day. After the interview, I didn't hear back in over 2 weeks which led me to correctly conclude that they weren't interested in following up with me. Sure enough, 2 weeks and 2 days after my in person interview, they sent me an email telling me I didn't get picked to proceed further.