Square Interview Questions

Updated 6 May 2021

To filter interviews, or .

Interviews at Square

Employee Referral14%
HardAverageEasy
Found 831 candidate interviews
Square
Application

I interviewed at Square

Interview

It was an easy interview process, except for one interviewer asking a 'gotcha' question. He totally presented data as if it was one thing and it was actually another. Which I found as we progressed in the exercise. It was a simple problem, and maybe they're checking if you don't just blindly trust your teammates, but I certainly felt tricked. It was my fourth interview and I knew it was all a waste of time as I could tell his attitude shifted when I didn't catch that he gave the wrong data up front. Which led me to eventually question and figure it out, but by then it was too late. I have offers for more high profile roles at this point, so I guess no harm no foul, but I wanted to add this so that someone else in the future will know that Square's whole message about culture and being a different kind of tech company is completely bs, if that's the kind of people they have representing them as a company. I was really hopeful for more normal people and less tech douches, but what I experienced was very similar to Amazon's interview process. Also they talk a big game about diversity but my 4 interviews were all white dudes.

Square
Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Square

Interview

Pretty standard interview process: 1. talk with hr 2. 1h technical interview or for mobile positions there is an option to choose a take home project. 3. Then 6 interviews (virtual on site). 2 coding sessions (continue on the project for mobile), 3 Q&A behavior sessions and 1 session with hiring manager. Read many negative reviews here about coding sessions so chose the take home project which was not difficult or tricky. Everything is straightforward and gives you a chance to be your best self. On the other hand, Q&A sessions were weird. They all have different theme but many questions were asked multiple times. Felt like interviews didn’t sync up who asks what and they just googled behavioral questions and chose questions from the first page. Moreover, everyone asked to introduce myself (6 times I repeated my intro) even though next questions were not related to my experience for most sessions. Recruiters didn’t respond when they promised. Also, one recruiter sent an email to schedule a call to give a feedback after the virtual on-site, scheduled for the next day and the call was just 3 minutes (said I didn’t perform well on one of the sessions) and that was it. Well, it could have been an email or a call same day. No need to schedule a whole meeting if you don’t know how to give a meaningful feedback. Overall, on site interviews left negative impression. Everyone in the industry conducts interviews for the whole day, seemed like Square just copied it without training their employees or preparing questions and dividing areas. It’s hard to make an unbiased decision if you don’t have a structure and clear expectations. Not to mention, all interviewer (8 people) were male that makes me question how diverse and inclusive this workspace is.

Interview Questions
  • Coding - add more features to the home project. Q&A - past experience
    Answer Question
Square
Application

I applied through an employee referral I interviewed at Square

Interview

Hiring manager implored me to apply, stating that Square has moved away from algorithmic interviews. The recruiter also mentioned that interviews are based on "real-world problems". Instead, I was asked to traverse a nested array (a binary search algorithm, essentially). I probably would have completed the solution except the interviewer wasted half our allotted time on a "warm up" then only introduced the actual problem halfway through our session. This kind of interview does not measure real-world engineering skills at all and is biased towards people who have time to study (e.g. no responsibilities outside of work). Square claims to value inclusion and non-traditional backgrounds but their interview process clearly indicates otherwise. The cherry on top is that they will ghost you if they don't wish to move forward.

Interview Questions
Square
Application

I interviewed at Square

Interview

Had 2 phone interviews with someone from the recruiting team. Questions seemed very scripted and got little feedback or response from interviewer, just moved immediately to the next question. Seemed like she was rushing through the process.

Interview Questions
  • What qualities do you have that would make you a good candidate for this role?
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR
Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Square (Portland, OR)

Interview

The interview process was extensive - total of 5 different interviews (recruiter, hiring manager, panel of 4, then 2 executives). I didn't know it would be so extensive. The process took 2 months due to number of interviews and hiring logistics. It was honestly the best interview process I've been a part of. The people are great & chill which made for more of a natural conversation & excitement about the company than an interview. Behavioral questions along with specific questions about you. Have questions! You should ask each person at least 3 questions. Do your research on the firm & their products. A multi week delay on headcount led to me accepting an offer at another great company in Denver. The one downside is that I was initially led to believe it would be WFH out of state based on Square's policy, but that doesn't apply to Cash App since they're a BD.

Interview Questions
  • Why Cash App? What fictional character do you relate to the most and why? (something along those lines). How do you like to be managed? Tell me about a time you or a teammate made an error - how did you correct it or correct them?
Square
Application

I interviewed at Square

Interview

I just got the phone interview done, waiting for the next round. Compensation package is great for this entry level position. Questions they ask in the phone interview is too vague, I don't think the recruiter have any idea about what answer they are expecting.

Interview Questions
Square
Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Square

Interview

1st step - Call with recruiter - 30 minutes introductions 2nd step - Interview with team leader - 30 minutes discussing experience 3rd step would have been - Interview with Senior Exec

Square
Application

I applied through an employee referral I interviewed at Square

Interview

straightforward interview, covered the typical data scientist questions. technical sql, then python then onsite with interviews with pms and other data scientists. overall, not sure if it was the best way to evaluate candidate skillset, but didn’t stray from the typical path

Interview Questions
Square
Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Square

Interview

Straightforward process. Double check with your recruiter or hiring manager about your take home assignment. I was told it would be a SQL assessment so I studied that for a week. Got the assessment and it had nothing to do with SQL. -Recruiter phone screen - 30 min meeting with hiring manager (conversational with a couple behavioral questions) - take home assignment (process-related case study) - panel interview (didn’t get to this part)

Square
Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Square

Interview

Probably one of the weirdest experiences of my life. The interview process was good. For screening I have had 2 Pair programming sessions. For onsite I had 3 pair programming sessions, 1 system design and 1 past experience. Sadly, I couldn't make it through. Even though I wanted to work for this company so bad, but it's okay since the interview seemed good. However, what followed just ruined my entire experience about this. The recruiter emailed me on Thursday EOD (EST) that I didn't make it. I had another interview coming up on Monday (PT), so I begged the interviewer to provide a feedback at the earliest, but she never replied. I emailed emailed her twice after that, nothing. Complete silence. Anyway I didn't make it through Monday's interview either. Till today I haven't received even an acknowledgement about my email. I spent quite a few weeks chasing my dream of working here, but this is what I get. I feel sad and small. I don't think I'll ever apply here again.

Interview Questions
Viewing 1 - 10 of 831 Interviews

Popular Careers with Square Job Seekers