Square Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor.co.in

Square Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Interviews at Square

Talent Development Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Square (San Francisco, CA (US)).

Interview

Lots of good and passionate people at square. Had several rounds with great people. The recruiter in charge was however very low energy and unorganized. She double booked me on 2 occasions and had to readjust my work schedule 2x as multiple invites for different times. She also scheduled a final interview and gave me 2.5 days to complete a project for that interview on top of a busy work week for me. At least the weekend would have been nice. Didn't even ask and took her 2 to 3 days to respond to simple emails. As others have mentioned candidate experience is just spoken about and not applied. I received a standard rejection email after 6 rounds and asked for feedback but none was given. As I a recruiter I at least call and debrief those that have put in the time and energy in the process. Thankfully there are other places doing this right. I get a business decision was made, but candidate experience isn't a priority at square.

Interview Questions

• describe your recruiting process   1 Answer

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Square (San Francisco, CA (US)) in March 2020.

Interview

Was reached out to after applying, but was ghosted after I sent my availability for a phone interview. 1 month later was reached out to again by someone else asking for my availability again, never addressing the prior ghosting situation. During the phone screen, no questions were asked about me or my experience, only a description of the culture and role. Then was given a writing challenge with a few questions regarding how to write an email to a candidate, how I would prioritize a number of tasks, and how to write an email to an EA asking for a VP's availability.

Interview Questions

• Write a sample email to an EA regarding availability for a VP   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Square (San Francisco, CA (US)) in March 2020.

Interview

In broad strokes: the process began with a phone screen. After that, there were two separate CoderPad pair programming interviews. After that was a "virtual onsite" (given the ongoing Coronavirus shelter-in-place order), which had three more pair coding sessions (two more CoderPad algorithms questions, and a JavaScript CodePen visualization question), a session to discuss recent past projects, and a system design question session with the type of system given ahead of time.

After the on-site, I was told that under normal circumstances, I would be placed, but that due to the economic downturn from the Coronavirus, Square was closing out most of its existing positions without filling them. The recruiter told me my hypothetical leveling and mentioned that I may still be able to get a placement in the near future if the economy bounces back and new postings go up, and I haven't actually gotten a formal "no" besides that discussion. It's a bit disappointing, but understandable given their small business customer base and the extraordinary times. I'd definitely apply again under normal circumstances.

Interview Questions

• Lots of pair coding algorithms (think LeetCode medium, more OOP design than "figure out the Big O complexity trick"). Present about a past project in great detail. The usual system design and scaling questions.   Answer Question

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Square (San Francisco, CA (US)) in March 2020.

Interview

Talked to a recruiter then had a technical interview with an engineer over codepen. I thought this interview was extremely fair and enjoyable. They give you a small code base to debug as well as build new features. Interviewer provided helpful tips when needed. It's refreshing to see a company attempt to step away from the useless white boarding algorithms.

IOS Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Interview

Recruiter call followed by technical round through coderpad.
    It contained a recruiter call that contains overall experience explanation and technical round on coderpad.

Pretty standard in the bay area or any other company in bay area.

Interview Questions

• Design Router communication

Router A should be able to send message to Router B and Router B should not be exposed to outer world

Router B should send message to router c and now this time router b should be exposed to outer world not just through router A.

Lastly, Router C is also exposed to to A and B and either A or B or both can send message to C to the same instance of C.   1 Answer

Performance Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Square (San Francisco, CA (US)) in February 2020.

Interview

Applied online and was messaged back by the recruiter a few days later requesting a phone interview. After the phone screen, I had another phone interview with the hiring manager the next week. I felt like the hiring manager did more of the talking and barely gave me time to answer the questions. The next week I received a generic email saying they wouldn’t move forward with me. I feel like they didn’t give me much of an opportunity to really get to ask about my background and experience.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Square?   1 Answer

Product Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Square (San Francisco, CA (US)) in February 2020.

Interview

I applied online and then had a 30 min call with the recruiter, followed by a 30 min call with a hiring manager. I was being considered for a different job initially, but business needs changed. The recruiter took about a month to get back to me, but she was able to refer me for another role and then there was a technical screen -- SQL and then Python -- which had to be done during businesses hours because it was live using CoderPad. That took about 1hr 15min.

I wanted to do this after work b/c surprisingly enough, at work people become suspicious when you're not at your desk when they expect you to be and there are only so many lies one can tell. (News flash, not everyone can work from home, and some people get paid by the hour, but I don't expect people who don't value EQ or understand that people have different circumstances to get that.)

And why is the company doing live, timed coding tests? I was able to do a take home before, and again, not everyone who can code studied engineering or computer science since college and has had regular experience with live coding tests. Academics are questioning the appropriateness of the SAT/ACT, but I guess considering Silicon Valley is run by one type of person, they know best, not academics who consulted non-academics and other sources, i.e. empirical research, i.e. not just going with gut impulses as is the engineering way. If you only want engineering/CS majors in their 20s with no life experience or experience working with different types of people, then just say so and stop wasting people's time.

Considering the first time I applied I didn't even get past the recruiter and ended up working for a Fortune 5 company, I guess it all worked out. And how many of the people at this company are even intimately familiar with anyone who works at or runs a small business? What about someone who does that in the developing world? Remember, people exist before and at the end of those numbers and you can't just apply your experiences to someone else's.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to leave your current company?   2 Answers
    • Using python, what are the smallest two weights of the tuples and their combined weight?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Square (San Francisco, CA (US)).

Interview

My friend referred me scheduled a standard 30 minute intro call with recruiter. The recruiter said they would be scheduling a phone call with the hiring manager the following week. She never contacted me again. Just a poor experience and I feel bad for my friend who referred me because it made them upset how I was treated. Just a word of advice to recruitment at Square don’t make promises you will do something and then not do it. I haven’t even gotten a rejection.

Interview Questions

• What interests you in Square?   1 Answer

Business Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Square (San Francisco, CA (US)) in November 2019.

Interview

Phone interviews were very simple and quick. They asked straight forward questions. Final round interview were with 5 different people, they all asked the same questions with on mock sales call. They told me they would get back to me by the end of the week, but did not.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Square (San Francisco, CA (US)).

Interview

Solid process. Well executed. Call from HM. 1 to 1 team interviews through a 4 hour period. Panel product concept presentation and final interview with VP. Follow up call with recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Interviewers were clearly green, unaccomplished, and had unrealistic expectations for market intelligence for a person that does not have access to internal data.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.