Teach for America Interview Questions

Updated 31 Aug 2015

3.5

Manager of Teacher Leadership and Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Tulsa, OK (US)).

Interview

Rigorous and multi-phased with elements of role-play. Teach For America assess your ability to problem-solve, how you deal in high-stress situations, and how you respond to people who don't share your views and perspectives. Overall, they're looking to see how effective an advocate you will be in the mission to end educational inequity.

Interview Questions

• How would you respond in this situation?   1 Answer

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in South Bend, IN (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (South Bend, IN (US)).

Interview

Many steps, you have to do a phone interview, a group interview then individual interview, and create a lesson plan. You speak with an alum of the program to do a phone interview. You have to read and discuss an article with other people in the group. Then you have to read situations and discuss your answers with individual.

TFA Corps Member Interview

Interview

Extremely selective. Do not focus on teaching experiences as much as your organizational and leadership skills. During the final interview make sure you plan out all the details of your lesson. Know how much time is required for each part of your lesson including set up. They will cut you off.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever missed a deadline. If so, why.   1 Answer

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in UC Berkeley, CA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Teach for America (UC Berkeley, CA (US)).

Interview

Full-day, includes group exercises, and one-on-one questions. Also, had to prepare a mini-teaching lesson. The group exercise was an activity to gauge leadership role, and team role. The mini-teaching lesson was a test to gauge ability to deliver a short succinct 10 minute lesson.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Rigorous. I skipped the phone interview. Teach For America wants to see that you've been a leader in your classroom. Teach For America also likes to see data and numbers to quantify the accomplishments that you've had in the leadership roles.

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

The Interview is a long process. It takes about 2 months to complete, with several components (online application, phone interview, final interview). However, depending on who you interact with the experience is very enjoyable, although challenging. Make sure to do your research before each interview and put forth your best effort. Also when building your lesson plan for the final interview be sure to keep it simple but interesting! There will be several individuals teaching during the day and you need to stand out. So have fun but make sure that you are using your time wisely. You only have 5 minutes, which goes quickly!

Interview Questions

• What would be one thing that would result in you leaving the corps?   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Interview

Very friendly and kind. There is an online application an then a phone interview and then a in person interview. You will have to do a sample lesson for 5 minutes, as well.

Teach for America Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Washington, DC (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

online application, phone interview, final interview. I skipped the phone interview and was directed straight to the final interview so I can't comment on the phone interview. The final interview consisted of a 5 minute lesson plan, a group activity and a personal interview. for the five minute lesson plan, I recommend doing something with visual aids and something creative. The lower grade levels I think are easier for this. Definitely video tape yourself practicing the lesson with all of your aids and practice on your friends. Listen to their feedback and improve your lesson. For the group activity, you will have a scenario and you will have to resolve an issue. try to stick out. I immediately took on the role of scribe and directed our discussion. I said, ok does anyone have a preference about taking notes and when everyone said they had bad writing, I said I was happy to. Then I asked who would like to speak first, and when I ended up giving my opinion last, I made sure to include new information. I also validated other people's opinions, both similar and dissimilar from my own. It seems important to convey that you are open to construct criticism and other world views. The personal interview--I didn't think mine went too well to be completely honest. I felt that I was rambling, but I hope it came off as impassioned. Really, I think they just want to know of your leadership qualities and the challenges you have overcome.

Interview Questions

• What are your methods of organization?   1 Answer

Teach for America Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Washington, DC (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

Online application. Notification of either going on to final interview or a phone interview (I skipped the phone interview.) Then online activity (about biases and how you would handle certain situations.) Following the online activity, there is a full-day in-person interview with a sample teaching lesson, group activity, and individual interview.

Interview Questions

• What was the biggest challenge you have overcome and how can you bring that experience to improve yourself in the future?   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Denver, CO (US)).

Interview

After submitting my application, I was asked several weeks later about attending an interview in person. The interview style was very unique - it was an all day process. There were 2 interviewers and a group of several of us. In the morning, we all gave 5 minute lessons we had previously prepared as well as a group problem solving activity and individual interviews in the afternoon. We all had to pick a time to sign up for, some people had to wait several hours between the group interview and their individual time. The one on one interview asked very standard questions, I was mostly asked to elaborate on responses to application questions and things on my resume.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.