Uber Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Interviews at Uber

3,335 Interview Reviews

2.9

Product Operations Manager Interview

Interview

When is the recruiter's incompetence going to be accountable for their actions?? Recruiter Aparna ghosts 50% of my emails I sent. I completed the Analytics test which is 2 hours long and I've scored high on, only to be ghosted AGAIN. Two weeks later responds that people were already at the last round of interviews when I applied... Well why did she waste my time and make me take the test then? She later says there's another role and says if I was interested. I said I was and asked for next steps... GHOSTED. I sent her another email and she finally responds back with an interview lined up. The interview went well, and immediately I ask for the interviewer's email address. GHOSTED. What is up with this, incompetence all over the place and she's a principal recruiter too. Interviewing here is a waste of your time and effort. Know your value.

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Interview

Simple resume walk thru and sql and analytics walk thru. Was recommended for Onsite and things went downhill from there. They forgot to schedule my Lunch Interview. Moreover Promo Code to take Uber for Onsite doesn't work so you end up shelling 100$ from your own pocket. Cleared Tech in 30 mins so had spare 30 mins also other interviews went fine other than experimentation. well! it was always my weak point but then Uber won't help you learn anything thats wat I learn from the interaction. Then they asked me to interview for an entry level role.

Interview Questions

• Well curated experimentation   1 Answer

Product Design Interview

Interview

Two rounds. One hour first round with a design lead. Present one to two portfolio piece works. There will time leaving for you to ask their questions. They are interested in your collaboration work.

Learning and Development Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (Chicago, IL (US)) in March 2020.

Interview

After submitting my initial application, I quickly received a response from one of their corporate recruiters asking to setup a call for an initial screening. I selected a time slot from the provided calendar, which was then confirmed with an event invitation, and then I never received a call at the scheduled time.

After almost 30 minutes, I sent her an email asking what I could do to reschedule since she missed the appointment without any notification. She immediately replied to my email apologizing and explaining that she didn’t have the time to notify me prior to explain that she would miss our scheduled call, despite having access to an immediate reply to my message.

I rescheduled via the same calendar for another date and time, to which I received a call from her later than the appointment time. The call was short and rushed, as she hurried through an explanation of the entire role and responsibilities, finishing with, “do you have any questions?” I was taking notes so I caught a few things that I asked her to revisit and explain.

After a few more basic screening questions and an outline of the interview process, she informed me that my experiences closely aligned with what they were looking for and that she would pass her notes on to the hiring manager. She explained that I would hear from her with a decision either way by the following day no later than 5:00pm PST.

I wasn’t surprised when her message never came, so after another five days passed with no communication from her I reached out again to ask about the status of my application. She didn’t respond, but another day later sent the stock corporate response thanking me and explaining that the hiring team decided to move in a different direction.

The role was considered somewhat entry level at the company and asked for minimal experience in the area. I’ve been rejected from dozens of jobs before, but I’ve almost never encountered a recruiter who was so overtly negligent with time management, communication, and professionalism despite indicating how important those skills would be for a role of this nature. I’m confident that I would have had a different interview experience had I been connected with a different recruiting employee.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have designing learning instruction for a group of people?   Answer Question
    • How do you address time management and working with deadlines?   Answer Question

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Interview

Technical phone screen with Uber ATG's Labeling team. Question was challenging and open-ended.

Although I did poorly in the interview, my interviewer was friendly, interested in getting to know me, and more than willing to answer all of my questions about the company and the team.

Interview Questions

• Design question where you're given a simple problem (ex: find the distance between two points) which is repeatedly expanded upon.   1 Answer

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA (US)).

Interview

Recruiter Screen, HM Call, Test, Onsite

I had the worst recruiter and I'm not even sure how she's still there -- she missed our initial call multiple times, ran extremely late when we finally had something on schedule, never let me know she was OOO, and then just disappeared without a trace. I struggled getting one simple response and I don't know if it's because she was busy or what, but isn't it your job in recruiting to check in on your candidates? In an appropriate amount of time? ON time?

Uber talks a big game about candidate experience but they fail to do the basics like commit to a time and not be late. There is no transparency whatsoever and it seems like they have 0 regard for your time.

Interview Questions

• I got asked one question which was to tell them about one program I ran and that's it... the rest of the time was just the interviewer talking at me   Answer Question

Learning and Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Uber (Chicago, IL (US)).

Interview

Within 24 hours of submitting resume, I was contacted for a phone screen.

Phone Screen: Easy. Basic questions regarding background and level of interest with Uber. Within 24 hours asked to give availability for next phase in interview process. All steps laid out for interview process.

Interview: Scheduled within one week of phone screen. Moderately difficult. Asked questions to understand navigation of certain situations. Was given more detail around role. Informed I would hear back from Recruiting team within 72 hours; did not hear back from Recruiting team until 5 days later.

After interview via email, I was given a Creative Assignment. Email stated that after submission of Creative Exercise, I would be contacted to deliver in person. Within 24 hours of submission, I was emailed that I would not be moving forward.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Uber?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a process that was created and implemented.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Interview

None. Recruiter contacted me, scheduled time with them well in advance and on instructions said they will call on my contact info listed on my resume. They didn't call, no response when I inquired, nothing. I actually moved my schedule around for that call. Not applying there again.

Data Scientist Interview

Interview

I applied online and started with a recruiter call. The hiring manager call went well. I did the data challenge and received a 1 line rejection with no feedback whatsoever.

Interview Questions

• Describe a regression to an executive with no background in statistics.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA (US)).

Interview

*Recruiter Call*
    - Recruiter started the call by laughing at me repeatedly. They kept on attempting to say my name and then started laughing. When they caught their breath, stated "Sorry, I'm not laughing at you. I'm laughing because I keep on butchering your name." Later in the call, recruiter made fun of how long Google's interviewing process took.

*Bar Raiser*
    - Interviewer did not show up at start time. After 6 minutes, I notice someone is waiting outside so I go outside. They walk in and apologize saying they didn't know they were the first interviewer.

*1st Algo Interviewer*
    - Interviewer again does not show up to interview. I have to email my coordinator to see where my interviewer is. After 20 minutes, the interviewer rushes into the room
    - Interviewer is unprepared and unaware of what interview they should be conducting. Specifically they mention that it is "bar raiser" interview several times, and I have to correct them (I show them the paper with the interview schedule).
    - Interviewer pauses and quickly think of a problem on the spot. I am able to start work on it because I’ve covered the topic before. Any person unfamiliar with this problem would not be able to work on it because the problem description was stated in 30 seconds of rushed, broken, and hard to understand English.
    - Interviewer directs me to use code signal site but we switch to whiteboard because they are unable to get it to work.
    - Interviewer gets phone notifications during the interview and appears distracted. I talk for large amounts of time without any communication or interaction from the interviewer side. I ask them if they are following me to ensure they are listening to me. Interviewer is glued to their phone several times while I’m explaining my solution. (I believe interviewer was getting messaged by someone at work or maybe paged for an issue)

*2nd Algo Interviewer*
    * Interviewer walks in with a paper and starts to read from it. The problem involves matrix multiplication, and since I am not too familiar with matrix multiplication, I ask how matrix multiplication works. The interviewer pauses, pulls out their phone to check the internet on how matrix multiplication works for 5 minutes, and then explains it to me. I suspect they don't understand the problem fully. They confirm this during our interview by casually mentioning they do not know the optimal solution to the problem they are asking.
    * Again the code signal site does not work during our loop. Interviewer tries to switch to hackerrank but are unable to get that to work too. We switch to sublime text on my computer.
    - They asked a follow up question (can you speed up if the matrix is sparse). I struggled and the interviewer gave me a hint. Unfortunately when I reviewed the problem later, the hint was false; I believe they hadn't read the problem notes correctly. At the end of the interview they gave me the correct hint by suggesting I think about more efficient data structure to store the matrix. However, it was too late to come up with a solution at this point.
    - The interviewer suggested that the runtime complexity of a product of two numbers is faster than a hash table lookup. I believe this is incorrect.

All of my the interviewers were unprepared and there technical issue with Uber's interviewing tools. I also got little to no time to ask questions during the technical interviews due to all of the issues.

*Recruiter onsite follow up*
    - During the follow up call, the recruiter mentioned they had mixed news. Most of the feedback was positive, but the system design interviewer felt they didn't have enough information to assess me. The team was passing, but they wanted me to come back in for a system design interview and if that went well they would find another team for me.
    - At this point I was completely confused. If the system design interviewer didn't feel they had enough inputs to assess me, that means every technical interviewer in my loop failed as an interviewer.
    - The recruiter starts laughing uncontrollably during this call again when I voice concerns about impending deadlines. This time it occurs after I state that I am at hiring committee Google and might not have time to come back to interview the recruiter starts laughing again at me: "hahahahHAHAHAHAHAHAAhahaha. You are totally not going to get an offer from Google in time for your deadlines. hahahhahahahaHahahahaHahaha”. The recruiter states matter of factly that Google and Amazonare too slow and would not make the deadline I have with another company. Note the recruiter was incorrect, both Google and Amazon gave me offers by the exact date they promised.

This process felt like I was on a prank show where Uber was seeing how they could far they could go by insulting me before I would walk away from the company. This was one of the worst first experiences I've had in my decade long career in tech.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer couldn't explain in clear english, but I got a topological sort problem (tasks and dependencies   1 Answer
    • The interviewer didn't understand how matrix multiplication worked, but asked that I code a function that does matrix multiplication. The follow up question was is there any way you can make this more efficient if the matrix is sparse (lots of zeros)   1 Answer
    • Design an a/b experimentation service for engineers to use to help do split testing   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.