Union Pacific Interview Questions

Updated 9 Feb 2016

2.7

Railroad Conductor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Wichita, KS (US)).

Interview

Invited to hiring session, given the overview of the job and all it requires. They then move on to tell you how you'll never see your family again and that you'll marriage has a good chance to end in a divorce and tell you you might get killed and generally try to scare you away. You then sit down with local managers and HR rep and have a interview by yourself

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Austin, TX (US)) in February 2016.

Interview

Very behavioral. Long list of generic behavioral questions, with the only somewhat technical question being the difference between an object and a class. Not much emphasis on the details of my resume. Would have preferred more time to talk about it. Easy interview overall. Should have spent more time preparing generic behavioral answers.

Interview Questions

• What is one of your greatest weaknesses as a computer scientist? Describe one of your projects.   Answer Question

Corporate Audit Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Omaha, NE (US)) in January 2016.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted about a week later for a phone interview. The interviewer was friendly and most of the questions were get to know you type with some behavioral questions as well.

Interview Questions

• What's the biggest thing you learned from your undergraduate degree?   Answer Question

Summer(Finance) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Omaha, NE (US)) in December 2015.

Interview

A campus recruiter made a presentation about UP at our University. I applied online and got a phone call about a week later to schedule a phone interview, ended up doing it on the spot (it was pretty standard). Got invited to 2nd round interview in Omaha about another week later. UP paid for all expenses and gave me a tour of Omaha (it's nicer than you think). They were friendly and every interview felt like a conversation. They were very focuses on analytical and technical skills. "Why UP?" was a frequently asked question. Great people and great place, if I didn't have a local offer I would have accepted.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time you've used your analytical skills?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Union Pacific.

Interview

Basically a heavy behaviourally focused interview with a lot of question regarding your experiences with dealing with people and difficulty of projects worked on during school. The interview had a slight technical aspect to it.

Interview Questions

• How would you explain a class to someone who doesn't know about it?   Answer Question

Mechanical Department Intenrship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Omaha, NE (US)) in November 2015.

Interview

Phone interview. second round, Three interviews in Omaha. They flew me out there for a weekend. One interview with the head of human resources, car facilities, and locomotive facilities. The interview for cars was pretty laid back and the locomotive interview was a pretty intense interrogation of my management skills.

Engineering Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Houston, TX (US)).

Interview

I applied online, and was scheduled to write a test. I passed the test, and then was contacted for an interview. After the first stage interview, I was contacted for another interview at UP regional office. And after a month, I was given an offer. The interview process took about two weeks to a month interval

Interview Questions

• tell me about yourself what is leadership and describe a time you lead a team how would you handle conflict with a colleague what is safety and when have you applied safety measures   Answer Question

Operations Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Omaha, NE (US)) in October 2015.

Interview

Invited to a Hiring Session. Drove to Omaha for a 30 minute interview. Interview was about 40 minutes with a series of questions, some of which I had to use the STARS method to answer. Felt the interview went well, even though the HR guy gave little feed back verbally or emotionally. Got invited to a second interview about 2 weeks later.

Operations Management Trainee Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Union Pacific in October 2015.

Interview

Three interviewers (one in HR, two field workers), short interview (scheduled for half an hour), basic and easy questions, honestly thought first interview was more in depth. In and out so quickly wondered why they flew you down rather than a phone or online interview

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Engineering Campus (Nepal)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Engineering Campus (Nepal)) in October 2015.

Interview

This interview is very, very standard. I went and talked to the recruiters at the career fair and then applied online through my universities job posting website. I was then requested to have an in person, on campus interview. Many of the questions are behavioral such as describe a situation when you had this happened or you experienced this. It was pretty bland and a read from the script type interview.

Interview Questions

• The only technical-ish question they asked me was what is the difference between a class and an object.   Answer Question
Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.