Vulcan Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated 14 May 2019

2.9

Sort:

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Vulcan (Seattle, WA (US)) in May 2009.

Interview

I was recruited to the position by an old friend who I had worked with before. He pushed my name through the interview process, but I still had to jump through a lot of hoops with HR who were adamant on maintaining their control over hiring. Job required a thorough background check, which was no problem for me.

Interview Questions

• I was interviewed by an eventual co-worker who asked me many very specific questions about how I would approach a given problem. He later told me that any time he was stuck on a problem, he would quiz the potential employees he interviewed about it until he heard an idea that intrigued him.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Simple - they offered me more than I was asking, and I took it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vulcan (Seattle, WA (US)) in February 2011.

Interview

Gruling at best.,

Interview Questions

• Name a past project you worked on where critical thinking came in to play.   Answer Question
    • Give me three words your past boss would use to describe you.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Vulcan (Seattle, WA (US)) in May 2017.

Interview

Initial Phone screen was a recruiter who didn't seem to know very much about technology or software. She seemed very interested in promoting Paul Allen rather than talking about the position itself.

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Vulcan.

Interview

Had to interview with 14 people. I have interviewed other places with a lot of interviewers but this was a record. Then they wanted me to come back and meet with more people. I was concerned that if it took that much "consensus" to hire a person, what would it be like getting any work done? I decided it wasn't the right fit for me.

Interview Questions

• The usual questions - open ended, "tell me about a time" - lots of questions around flexibility, change management, working with a tight knit team   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Vulcan (Seattle, WA (US)).

Interview

I had a much easier experience than most people since I had an in with the hiring manager. Submitted my resume. About a week later, HR called to schedule the interview. During the interview, I first met with an HR person who asked basic employment eligibility questions and salary requirements. Then I met with one team member, followed by the hiring manager. Took about 1.5 hours overall.

Negotiation

I accepted their offer w/o changes.

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Vulcan (Seattle, WA (US)) in April 2017.

Interview

Went through a phone screen first. Very basic questions about my background. Was invited back for an in person interview a few days later, which was scheduled about a week out. This lasted about 3 hours with three rounds of interviews. The questions were all behaviorally based which made it easier to reference specific experiences in my answers.

Two weeks later I came in for another round of interviews with different leaders. This also lasted about three hours and included two or three rounds.

The recruiter did a fantastic job of making sure I knew what the timeline looked like as did the hiring manager. Overall a good experience and they seemed to move through the process very quickly.

Interview Questions

• Behaviorally based questions "Tell me about a time when..." or "Do you have any experience with..."   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Vulcan (Seattle, WA (US)) in May 2016.

Interview

I went through the phone screen and then was invited to interview onsite. The onsite interview was pretty basic. One of the people I interviewed with told me that she didnt know what she was supposed to ask.
    Being in HR, I understand that some people arent used to interviewing and its a learning experience.
    After all was said and done, I never heard back from them at all. No rejection, no request for additional information, nothing.
    In the end, all worked out as it should and I'm happy where I am. I'm merely posting this in the hopes that the recruiting team sees this and makes sure that they really pay attention to the candidate experience as mine was pretty sad. Again, being in HR I expect recruiters to close out every candidate that comes onsite for an interview.
    Great company and I hope they're successful!

Interview Questions

Vulcan Response

30 Aug 2016

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your interview experience. We appreciate you taking the time to consider working at Vulcan and we regret you did not hear back.

We continue to strengthen... More

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Vulcan (Seattle, WA (US)) in April 2016.

Interview

very open, inviting but deceiving. Thought we'd be doing bigger things than what we're actually doing. Had hoped we'd be tackling some the world's hardest issues only to learn we were mired in process and politics.

Interview Questions

• How would you change the world   1 Answer

Interview

Very sexist interview process. Could tell that the company was a very difficult place to work that was hostile to professional women. Not a place for the feint of heart. Very unprofessional. Definetly not a company that will attrack A-talent. Clearly this is a nightmare job that has had huge turnover. Do not accept if you are not a masochist.

Senior Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Vulcan (Seattle, WA (US)) in January 2017.

Interview

I hope this was just my bad luck. I was excited when I first learned about this job opportunity. I had two non-technical phone calls with recruiters, both calls were about a half hour late. They went fine other than the recruiters were not very technical.

I learned from them that Vulcan has a strict no work from home policy and is quite secretive. I still don't understand why such a philanthropic company needs to be so tightlipped (very counterintuitive).

I scheduled a technical interview that was to be phone plus computer. I signed an NDA. I set aside the asked for hour but this call was also a half an hour late. I offered to do as much as we could in the remaining half an hour, but the technical person wasn't up for this.

After all of this I decided not to reschedule. There are many other opportunities in the sea.

I hope your experience goes better than mine. I would recommend, though, if you start to experience red flags early in the process quit before you end up wasting lots of time.

Interview Questions

• Some questions about my past experience. Read above I had to drop out before a real technical interview could take place.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.