Western Digital Firmware Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Western Digital Firmware Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Western Digital

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Western Digital (Irvine, CA (US)) in November 2019.

Interview

I interviewed for 2 separate but similar Firmware Engineer positions at Western Digital, once in late September and once in early November 2019.

The interview process was similar for both positions: a 30-min to 1-hour-long phone screening with either the HR rep or one of the managers for the role, followed by a 3-hour-long on-site interview. The on-site I had for the first position consisted of 3 2:1 panels-style interviews, where they drilled into my knowledge of C and C++. I also had to explain what I did at my current company several times, as a few of the interviewers did not understand the purpose of the work I had done (maybe that's one of the reasons why I was trying to leave the company). They also asked me questions regarding operating systems and multi-threaded environments. For the most part, the interviewers I met with were pretty friendly, though I botched a few of the interview questions. About a week after my on-site, my HR rep let me know that I wasn't selected, but what was most annoying for me was that they had chosen an internal candidate for the role... I'm not really opened up interviews to outside candidates like me if they were going to fill it with a pre-existing employee anyway.

Fast-forward a few weeks, and my HR rep contacts me saying that they have another opening for a similar role with a different team. I accept, and go through the phone screen with the manager of that team. A few weeks later, I come in for the on-site interview, which now consisted of 6 1:1 interviews, about 30-45 mins each. Every interviewer asked about my experience and resume, which became a bit of an annoyance by the end of the interview. Most of the interviewers asked me technical questions, from general C/C++ questions to algorithm questions to even a riddle for me to solve. Again, most of them were quite friendly, and this time they even provided me with lunch, which was nice. However, a few of the interviewers interviewed me over the phone, so it was harder to understand what they were asking of me. Overall, I felt that I had done much better during this second interview than my first on-site visit.

Unfortunately, I didn't hear back about this position for another 2 months. Yes, TWO MONTHS. At least my HR rep didn't completely ghost me and gave me a solid answer, but 2 months for a response after a lengthy on-site interview is pretty ridiculous. On top of that, he had told me that they chose to move forward with a candidate who had ~10 years of experience... and I only had about 1.5 at the time. If they were going to hire a candidate with that much experience, why did they even bother interviewing me? What chance did I have against a candidate with that much more experience than I?

Overall, even though my on-site visits were more positive than negative, the way they handled my candidacy after the interview was incredibly fumbled. I won't be applying to Western Digital again for at least another few years, and even then I'd be really wary about them.

Interview Questions

• In C++, what is the difference between a pointer and a reference?   1 Answer
  • How can threads exchange data between each other?   1 Answer
  • Basic bit-manipulation questions in C.   Answer Question
  • A question about the Least Squares Algorithm.   Answer Question
  • Implement an algorithm to sum the contents of 2 arrays.   Answer Question
  • A riddle: If you have two jugs, a 3L jug and a 5L jug, with no measurement markings, how can you measure out exactly 4L of liquid from them?   1 Answer
  • Develop an algorithm that, when given a certain time, can calculate the corresponding angle between the hour and minute hands of a clock at that time.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Western Digital

Firmware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Western Digital (Milpitas, CA (US)) in October 2019.

Interview

Combination of technical and non-technical questions lasting somewhere around 4 hours.
    A lot of software questions and some hardware questions.
    Behavioral section is more straightforward, includes a lot of questions about your resume.

Interview Questions

• Implement a function for n! using c++   1 Answer

Firmware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Western Digital (Irvine, CA (US)) in September 2019.

Interview

Initial phone call asked about why I wanted to move jobs and just general job related questions on my resume. In person involved 4 rounds of 2 people asking general programming questions. Note they were very unrelated to leetcode. You need to know your terms, it might seem trivial, but for firmware knowing all your terms is very important.

Firmware Engineer Interview

Interview

The interview process started with setting up a phone screening over email with one of the recruiters. The phone screening consisted of simple technical questions and also questions about my background and my resume. After the phone screening, I was given a Hackerrank exam in which I was tested on my knowledge of hardware, software, and embedded control systems.
    A few weeks after completing the exam, I was emailed by the recruiter to set up a set of interviews with team members from Western Digital. I interviewed with three members of the same team, which consisted of one technical interview and two behavioral interviews, each lasting about 15 minutes and had no relation to the other. After about a week and a half after the interviews I received my results from the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• What is the Nyquist frequency?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Western Digital (Irvine, CA (US)) in November 2018.

Interview

I received an email requesting that I take an online assessment. I was notified a few days later that I was invited for an onsite interview consisting of four 45 min rounds.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about you prior experience taken from my resume followed by white boarding   1 Answer

Firmware Engineer() Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chandler, AZ (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Western Digital (Chandler, AZ (US)) in March 2018.

Interview

I had 1 phone interview with HR. I took a skills test a few days after. Lastly, I was interviewed by 3 Senior Engineers with an extensive background in Firmware Architecture. They made it clear all they wanted to know was what I don't know. All 3 engineers were kind and understood an intern isn't supposed to know everything. They just want to know if you're a quick learner.

Interview Questions

• If you had to write a software program that took 3 inputs and returns if a triangle can be made with those 3 inputs, what are the requirements for the program's inputs?   2 Answers

Firmware Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Western Digital (Rochester, MN (US)) in October 2014.

Interview

I was emailed and asked to come in for an interview. Was promised no technical questions, but was asked some easy-ish questions on OS and data structures. I had another offer, and they were able to expedite getting me an offer very fast, which was very nice as I really wanted to work there but could not turn down a sure thing.

Interview Questions

• 1. Analyzing Big O of the algorithms I had used in projects
      2. What possible data structures could I use to handle translation from logical address to physical address?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I had another offer. Recruiter beat it by about 10%.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Western Digital (Irvine, CA (US)) in February 2014.

Interview

I submitted my application at the school job fair in the Fall and was offered an interview via e-mail in the Spring. Confirmation was through an HR representation through the phone. An e-mail received was my appointment date and time along with the 5 engineers from firmware engineer to senior principal engineer that will be interviewing me. There is parking with free validation..

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions. Fundamental questions regarding C programming, static constructors, implementation of methods. Terminologies and description based on resume.   Answer Question

Firmware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Western Digital (Irvine, CA (US)) in January 2014.

Interview

It was six interviewer. Three of them asked technical questions and three of them asked a behavioral question. It was 5 hours interview each interviewer had 45 minutes to interview. It was a hard interview. one interview was during lunch which was relaxing.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Western Digital (Irvine, CA (US)) in June 2013.

Interview

I applied online and got called in for a on site interview, the interview lasted for 3 hours and was interviewed by 6 people, half hour each. The first two of them went well but rest 4 were really bad.

Interview Questions

• even though knowing that i was from Electrical Engineering background they kept asking me core computer science algorithms which i didn't had much answer to.
      I don't remember exactly the questions but it was some hardcore algorithm they wanted me to come up with.   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.