Western Digital Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Western Digital Interview Questions

Interviews at Western Digital

2.8

Principal Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Western Digital (San Jose, CA (US)) in January 2020.

Interview

Overall, it is a pleasant process. People are very nice and welcome. And you can learn a lot from talking to them. I would recommend for applying.

Senior Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Western Digital.

Interview

Had an average length interview process. I spoke to 4 individual contributors and 1 manager.
    The tech interview were around storage industry knowledge, data center experience and the manager interview was around customer success.

Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Western Digital (San Jose, CA (US)).

Interview

Disappointing - recruiter reached out to me, had me go through the usual online application gauntlet, and send work samples. Hiring manager looked at my LinkedIn profile, then complete radio silence.

Interview Questions

• What are your salary expectations   1 Answer

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Western Digital (Milpitas, CA (US)) in December 2019.

Interview

one phone and one on-site interview were taken, the process lasted around 4 weeks, interviewers were friendly and highly skilled in their respective fields. A total of 4 rounds of interviews were held for the position.

Nand Product Engineer Interview

Interview

Apply through the university career fair, then after one week the HR send me email to have a phone interview, the interview question is easy but they basically want analog guy.

Interview Questions

• What is mos operation region, what's body effect and why sometimes we apply voltage to mos substrate?   Answer Question

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Western Digital.

Interview

Sent a hacker rank test that should be completed before the interview. The test was multiple choice, fill in the blank, and a few coding questions. Most of the multiple choice questions were low level binary, hex, bit shifting type questions.

Principal Signal and Power Integrity Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Western Digital (Irvine, CA (US)).

Interview

No technical phone screen but I was asked to provide a technical response to some questions at the initial stage.

On-site interview mostly revolved around memory experience, and points from my resume. One of the interviewers stopped asking me questions when our two understandings of a technical question didnt align. I actually attempted to coax the situation and see if he would ask other questions in order to move forward, but he switched to personal background questions and refused to continue. I dont think this person gave me a good review, but I am still confident you can only sample data bits once the strobe has been properly delayed.

The remainder of the interviewers stuck to asking questions about my resume.

Launch Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Western Digital (Milpitas, CA (US)).

Interview

There were 4 interviews. Mainly went through the resume. A few technical questions that were pretty basic. Mostly behavioral questions. Everyone was super nice and explained the work they performed.

Launch Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Western Digital.

Interview

I talked to them at a campus job fair, after that I applied online.
    HR phone call after applying online, then assessment quiz, then onsite with 4 interviews
    onsite interview lasted about 2 hours about 30 mins each.

Firmware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Western Digital (Irvine, CA (US)) in November 2019.

Interview

I interviewed for 2 separate but similar Firmware Engineer positions at Western Digital, once in late September and once in early November 2019.

The interview process was similar for both positions: a 30-min to 1-hour-long phone screening with either the HR rep or one of the managers for the role, followed by a 3-hour-long on-site interview. The on-site I had for the first position consisted of 3 2:1 panels-style interviews, where they drilled into my knowledge of C and C++. I also had to explain what I did at my current company several times, as a few of the interviewers did not understand the purpose of the work I had done (maybe that's one of the reasons why I was trying to leave the company). They also asked me questions regarding operating systems and multi-threaded environments. For the most part, the interviewers I met with were pretty friendly, though I botched a few of the interview questions. About a week after my on-site, my HR rep let me know that I wasn't selected, but what was most annoying for me was that they had chosen an internal candidate for the role... I'm not really opened up interviews to outside candidates like me if they were going to fill it with a pre-existing employee anyway.

Fast-forward a few weeks, and my HR rep contacts me saying that they have another opening for a similar role with a different team. I accept, and go through the phone screen with the manager of that team. A few weeks later, I come in for the on-site interview, which now consisted of 6 1:1 interviews, about 30-45 mins each. Every interviewer asked about my experience and resume, which became a bit of an annoyance by the end of the interview. Most of the interviewers asked me technical questions, from general C/C++ questions to algorithm questions to even a riddle for me to solve. Again, most of them were quite friendly, and this time they even provided me with lunch, which was nice. However, a few of the interviewers interviewed me over the phone, so it was harder to understand what they were asking of me. Overall, I felt that I had done much better during this second interview than my first on-site visit.

Unfortunately, I didn't hear back about this position for another 2 months. Yes, TWO MONTHS. At least my HR rep didn't completely ghost me and gave me a solid answer, but 2 months for a response after a lengthy on-site interview is pretty ridiculous. On top of that, he had told me that they chose to move forward with a candidate who had ~10 years of experience... and I only had about 1.5 at the time. If they were going to hire a candidate with that much experience, why did they even bother interviewing me? What chance did I have against a candidate with that much more experience than I?

Overall, even though my on-site visits were more positive than negative, the way they handled my candidacy after the interview was incredibly fumbled. I won't be applying to Western Digital again for at least another few years, and even then I'd be really wary about them.

Interview Questions

• In C++, what is the difference between a pointer and a reference?   1 Answer
    • How can threads exchange data between each other?   1 Answer
    • Basic bit-manipulation questions in C.   Answer Question
    • A question about the Least Squares Algorithm.   Answer Question
    • Implement an algorithm to sum the contents of 2 arrays.   Answer Question
    • A riddle: If you have two jugs, a 3L jug and a 5L jug, with no measurement markings, how can you measure out exactly 4L of liquid from them?   1 Answer
    • Develop an algorithm that, when given a certain time, can calculate the corresponding angle between the hour and minute hands of a clock at that time.   Answer Question