Interview Question

Private Wealth Management Interview

Goldman Sachs

flip a fair coin, what is the expected number of times one need to flip to get two consecutive head.

AnswerAdd Tags

Interview Answers

4 Answers

xi-i is a martingale with x0-0 = 0 so we have 2^2+2-E[i] = 0 which gives E[i] = 6

xi-i is a martingale on

I have an alternative to Charles's answer from the point of view of conditional expectations. The formula is that E[X] = sums of E[X|A] * P(A) where E[X|A] is the conditional expectation of X given event A. Let's consider the following possibilities. If the first toss gives T, then the expected value of tosses under this condition must be 1 time more than the original expectation. Similarly, if one analyzes the case when the first toss gives H, then two possibilities emerge. Either you have a second toss of H, which gives exactly 2, or you have a second toss of T, which gives a conditioned expectation to be added by two. In a summary we have x = (x+1)*P(T) + (x+2)*P(HT) + 2*P(HH) Solve to get x = 6.

Anonymous on

The previous answer is incorrect. The correct answer is 6. This can be modeled by a simple markov chain: state 0: [1/2 1/2 0] state 1: [1/2 0 1/2] state 2: [0 0 1] where state 0 is having 0 heads in a row (i.e. back at square 1), state 1 is having 1 heads in a row, and state 2 is having 2 heads in a row a.k.a the final state Since we are solving for expected time to reach state 2, we have to solve the system of equations: t0=1+1/2*t0+1/2*t1 t1=1 + 1/2*t0 + 1/2*t2 t2=0 <--if you are already in state 2 i.e. you already have 2 consecutive heads, then you do not need to flip any additional coins because you are already done. Solving the system gets you t0=6. Alternatively, you could use the equation E(x)=(1-p^2)/(p^2*(1-p)), which also gives you 6 when you plug in p=.5

Charles on

the probability that you get heads on any given toss is 0.5, since the flips are independent events, the probability of getting two heads consecutively is (.5)(.5)= 0.25=(1/4) thus you would expect to have to flip four times before you would get two consecutive heads.

David Reynolds on

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.