Mu Sigma Interview Question: i have a gun in each hand, on... | Glassdoor.co.in

Interview Question

Business Analyst Interview Bengaluru

i have a gun in each hand, one with 3 bullets and other

  with 2. i fire them together at you, what is the probability that you die?
Tags:
problem solving, probability
Answer

Interview Answer

17 Answers

This post has been removed.
Please see our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service for more information.

14

the corrent answer is 5/6 .
since both the guns are fired at the same time and both the guns do now hve any connection
so probability of 1st gun firing a round is 3/6.
and probability of 2nd gun firing = 2/6.
now we will add then wince they are mutually exclusive.
2/6 + 3/6 = 5/6

Jayant Sharma on 16-Mar-2012
0

From a Business Analyst perspective, I will not assume that the formula for calculating probability is the same as what I understand it. I will confirm from the SME and that is the Business Rule. I will determine the factors that can affect the firing decision by asking some questions. What are the different factors that makes the user pick up one gun or 2 guns? Is the user aware which gun has how many bullets? Is that a factor in decision-making? Does the user like to bluff sometimes? How frequently? etc.

Ajoy on 16-Mar-2012
9

1 - P(gun1 failed) * P(gun2 failed) = 1 - (3/6)*(4/6) = 2/3

S G on 02-May-2012
1

I guess it is a six revolver.

1-3/6*4/6=2/3

Arnie on 17-May-2012
1

* Why to assume the revoler to have 6 slots? A die is thrown, possible outcomes are 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. Likewise, a bullet is shot, possible outcomes are hit or no-hit.

Now the possibility to die is probability that atleast one bullet hits the target = 3/4

* If a six bullet revolver is assumed, then the total possible outcomes is 12. The probability to die is the probability that atleast one bullet hits the target = 3/12 = 1/4

NRP on 07-Jun-2012
0

Ho there is a glitch!
* If a six bullet revolver is assumed, then the total possible outcomes is 36.

Now the possibility to die is probability that atleast one bullet hits the target = 3/36 = 1/12

NRP on 08-Jun-2012
0

The prob should be 5/12. Lets consider a case where both the guns have 5 bullets each, simply adding i.e, 5/6 + 5/6 would give a prob greater than 1. To kill, any one of the bullets in either of the guns need to be in the slot that gives 5/12.

NO on 03-Mar-2013
4

probability of 1st gun firing a round is P(a)=3/6.
and probability of 2nd gun firing P(b)= 2/6.
probability of 1st gun FAILURE P(a')=3/6
probability of 2 nd gun FAILURE P(b')=4/6
3 conditions are possible
p(a)*P(b')+P(a')*P(b)+P(a)*P(b)=2/3

sanket patel on 20-Aug-2014
0

probability of 1st gun firing a round is P(a)=3/6.
and probability of 2nd gun firing P(b)= 2/6.
probability of 1st gun FAILURE P(a')=3/6
probability of 2 nd gun FAILURE P(b')=4/6
3 conditions are possible
p(a)*P(b')+P(a')*P(b)+P(a)*P(b)=2/3

sanket patel on 20-Aug-2014
0

Answer - 5/6
Solution - Either bullet is fired from Gun A or Gun B
P(A) = 5C2/6C3
P(B) = 5C1/6C2

P(A OR B ) = P(A) +P(B)= 5/6

Aditya on 24-Aug-2014
1

You Shoot and I die , simple ,now do I need wait to calculate your probability

Sojan Thomas on 29-Sep-2014
0

but the question doesn't specify how many bullet shots will lead to death of person that data too is important

Anonymous on 22-Dec-2014
0

83% of getting killed

Product Analyst on 04-Apr-2016
0

the chance of getting killed is 41% and the chance of survival is 59%..

Seema on 02-Jun-2017
0

the chance of getting killed is 41% and the chance of survival is 59%..

Seema on 02-Jun-2017
0

If its a probability question to a school kid the answer is pretty direct, but to professionals, shouldn't they be asking for other inputs like what other variables are at play? Also are we looking at a target hit or kill? For kill the probability reduces since of all the exposed area, the bullets have to hit the critical to life parts /arteries/veins etc. Other angles at play are wind velocity, distance, even type of gun, for example a double barrel gun will have two bullet slot and if the second gun being used is a double barrel and we are shooting the target at point blank, there is no question of probability ..target will be hit...,but if the hand angle is low, shooting at the feet may not result in a kill..

What about factor like angle of hand, distance to target, type of guns, length of barrel? on 19-Dec-2018

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.