AGC Partners Reviews

Updated 7 Jan 2021

4.3
AGC Partners Co-Founder & CEO M. Benjamin Howe (no image)
M. Benjamin Howe
Pros
  • "Great place to begin your career in investment banking(in 41 reviews)

• "I found the Summer Analyst program to be an invaluable learning experience(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • "AGC is a boutique style firm with high volume deal flow which means long hours and lots of work but that comes with the territory of working in IB(in 31 reviews)

• "Hours can be long, however, that is consistent with the investment banking industry around the world(in 23 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "Learning, Experience, and Great People - AGC Covers it All"

Current Employee - Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at AGC Partners full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have worked at AGC for close to a year and half now and have been incredibly grateful of the firm, the people who I have worked here with, and where I am today because of AGC. Like any other person who wanted to start a career in investment banking, my goal from the onset was to not only get as much learning and experience from my first job out of college as possible, but also be in a position where I was given the level of responsibility that I would not have received elsewhere - AGC has and continues to deliver on both fronts. If I could break down why I have loved and continue to love working at AGC, it would be summarized in two parts: 1) The learning you receive in such a short period of time, and 2) the people who you work with at this firm. I have become extremely skilled in all aspects of an M&A deal, many of which peers in my industry would not be exposed to at this same position or age. I can attribute my knowledge of the Tech M&A space, my understanding of how deals work, how deals get done, and the nitty-gritty details of each step in between directly to the partners, the senior-level management, my senior mentors, and my fellow associates and analysts who I work with day-in, day-out. I started as an analyst here, and really did not know much about the industry outside of what I learned during my internship. Within months, I was leading deal processes, cranking out models, creating marketing materials, and driving diligence, all of which I undeniably improve upon every day. I have worked on deals across a large variety of sectors and industries, I have been exposed to live-deal situations where I made thoughtful decisions on the right paths forward directly with my partner, VP, and our client, and continue to be given opportunity to become a leader within my position and at the firm. I believe the most valuable part of AGC partners is the people who work here. From our CEO, COO, CFO, and every partner at the firm, every employee is willing to offer me help when I need it, push me to be a better associate, and give me the tools to be successful both here at AGC and my general career in finance. The partners and senior-level management undeniably care about each analyst and associate, and strive to make our experience the best it could possibly be. They are fully open to hearing feedback from analysts and associates, and work every day to make sure we are best positioned to succeed both in the office and outside of it. I also would not be where I am today without the support and strong, life-long bonds I have made with my fellow associates and analysts. Like other investment banking jobs across the country, you spend countless hours alongside your peers - at AGC, your peers are your biggest asset, and everyone here strives to make each other better, are with you in the trenches, and are always willing to offer a helping hand when needed. Ultimately, AGC offers you a chance to grow into an extremely skilled investment banker in a very short period of time, and surrounds you with people who truly care about that growth. I am extremely happy to have gotten where I am today, and am excited to be a part of what is to come for the firm.

Cons

With the amount of learning and experience you receive at AGC, it obviously comes with extended hours and pressurized situations. Like other investment banks, this job is not meant to be for everyone. There will be times when you are working late into the night and on weekends and have to juggle multiple workflows and priorities which force you to make rapid decisions. While this is true here at AGC, and likely at other investment banks across the country, it is certainly not something that analysts or associates can not only overcome but excel into better bankers as a result. There will be times where you fail, make mistakes, and have a lot of work on your plate to get through - these situations will be stressful and will not always be easy. You are asked to do a lot at the firm and are given high levels of responsibility from the day you start here. However, I believe fully that this is how I and many of my peers have improved our skills and have quickly reached levels of success that would be difficult to find at other larger investment banks or boutique shops.

2. "An Excellent Environment for Learning and Professional Development"

Former Employee - Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at AGC Partners full-time

Pros

-Junior bankers are given the opportunity to assume responsibility and meaningful contribute to live deals. The level of responsibility that proactive junior bankers are able to take on creates an unparalleled learning environment that is exciting, challenging, and rewarding. -Significant senior level exposure at the Analyst level. Analysts learn directly from Partners and also participate in senior-level conversations where the analyst's 'in-the-weeds' knowledge is valued and informs decision making. Partners take the time to get to know the junior bankers and provide direct guidance and mentorship. -The culture is fast-paced and team members are expected to take pride in and ownership of their work. AGC is a place where everyone knows each other at a personal level, and where employees are encouraged to be themselves and define the firm culture. Management encourages employees to provide feedback and is receptive to suggestions. -Management takes a genuine interest in employee development. Learning and development are a central point of firm culture and management wants to see its employees build the skills that will enable future career success - whether it be at AGC or elsewhere in the stage of their career.

Cons

-As at any investment bank, hours can be long and require employees to be invested in their positions. The firm takes measures to ensure a healthy work-life balance is maintained, but the role remains demanding and is best suited for those with a strong interest in the work. -Working across multiple projects concurrently at times provides great exposure to a range of businesses and technology verticals, but also means the work environment is generally fast paced and often requires the ability to manage competing priorities.

3. "Good Experience"

4.0
    Former Employee - Associate
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at AGC Partners full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of Hands on and Direct Experience

Cons

Too much hands on from upper management. Need to trust employees more.

4. "Lots of opportunities to learn"

Former Employee - Analyst in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at AGC Partners full-time

Pros

A lot of responsibility at the junior levels. Great deal flow. Pay is similar to bulge.

Cons

Hours could be really bad

"Difficult work environment"

1.0
    Former Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at AGC Partners full-time

Pros

There are good exit opportunities

Cons

Long hours. Tough work environment

"AVOID AT ALL COSTS. MOST REVIEWS ONLINE ARE FAKE"

1.0
    Former Employee - Investment Banking Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at AGC Partners full-time for more than a year

Pros

The other analysts are great people. It's just unfortunate that we're forced to work until 3am most nights.

Cons

DON'T BELIEVE ANY OF THE POSITIVE REVIEWS. The company pays the interns to write fake positive reviews. Everyone is actually miserable at AGC. Here is why: 1. Inhumane hours. AGC employees don't go home before 1am. Analysts regularly stay past 3am and the partners pretend to care but actually don't. 2. No vacation time. AGC does not respect your vacations. Employees regularly try to take days off and end up working the whole time. 3. Underpaid, and bonus structure holds you hostage. AGC's base salary is lower than competitors. They surprised analysts by telling us that our bonuses are partially deferred. We were already underpaid, but then we have to wait longer to receive that compensation that we deserve. 4. Awful benefits. College seniors aren't thinking about benefits when they sign up for a job, so AGC uses this opportunity to give you close to nothing. You have to pay a large amount for health insurance compared to employees at other companies. Your vacation time is low and not respected, as mentioned before. Other companies offer so much better. 5. Every day is stressful and miserable. So many partners think that their deal is top priority, so a bunch of people expect you to do a bunch of urgent things. There isn't enough time in the day to balance the work and get everything done.

Continue reading

"Great deal making firm. Knows tech M&A inside and out."

Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at AGC Partners full-time

Pros

All meritocracy. No corporate barnyard like many firms.

Cons

M&A is a fickle world.

"Great Place to Launch Career in Finance - Accelerated Learning / Above-Market Level of Responsibility"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at AGC Partners full-time for more than a year

Pros

- learn how to work effectively and quickly - learn how to deeply analyze a business - high level of junior team camaraderie - you are given well-above-market responsibility at the junior level - highly specialized senior investment bankers help develop industry knowledge, particularly in software and cyber security - positions you well for an exit to growth equity or private equity

Cons

- demanding "trial by fire" environment. AGC is not for everyone but is a very rewarding place for people who can learn and incorporate feedback quickly - hours can be expected to be above market in your first year - high number of simultaneous projects can make it difficult to allocate your time effectively

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at AGC Partners full-time

Pros

Great place to begin your career in investment banking

Cons

I do not have any cons

"Invaluable Experience at a Highly Motivating Firm"

Current Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at AGC Partners full-time for more than a year

Pros

The tight-knit group at AGC is a great place to launch your career. From day 1 you'll hit the ground running working on impactful projects. Although the learning curve is steep and can be intimidating, you'll be thankful for the experience as there's no better and faster way to grow as a person professionally and personally. The learning also doesn't stop; tech is an ever changing landscape and AGC's wide range of projects continuously offers employees invaluable experience.

Cons

The intensity can be tiring, but management and employees ensure downtime when possible.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 94 English Reviews