Cover image for Aegis Therapies

Aegis Therapies

Engaged Employer

Aegis Therapies

Add a Review

Aegis Therapies Employee Reviews about "therapists"

Updated 31 Oct 2021

38% Approve of CEO

Found 88 of over 504 reviews

Aegis Therapies President Martha Schram
Martha Schram
Pros
  • "Clinical growth through company provided continuing education(in 24 reviews)

• "Company provided good benefits including HRA(in 21 reviews)

• Cons
  • "High productivity, tough being contract in the facility(in 32 reviews)

• "Contract company, smaller company, no raises(in 29 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "therapists"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great team, terrible company.

31 Oct 2021 - Physical Therapist in Kansas City, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

*You gain tons of experience across several facilities, functioning as a floater in your region. Travel time and mileage between facilities is compensated. *The therapists they staff are excellent.

Cons

*Impossible productivity standards and expectations for therapists. *I have witnessed DOR and regional higher-ups perpetrating a hit job on a coworker, creating a hostile work environment for the team and causing damaged trust. *Pay was cut by 3.5% across the board back in March 2021, after the hardest year the industry has seen since before polio was eradicated. *Beyond the pay cut, salaries and hourly compensation are below average for the area. *My current DOR is an empty husk. They have sucked her dry and abused her good nature and work ethic. *Same-Day evaluation policy for patient admissions for sub-acute facilities and care results in abuse of therapists and tension with DOR's. They have gone so far as to edit our job description to include late days to our weekly regimen. This requires you to choose a day of the week that you come into work after 10 am, which results in getting home to my family after 8 pm - not sustainable work/life balance. *If you are still reading, the benefits package is mediocre. 401k match is profit-sharing, which given the pay cut was measly at best. *No holidays off, and if a holiday lands on the weekday, you have to make up the therapy on the weekend. *There is paltry PT PRN assist, and I am the lone DPT in my building. If I need to miss work, or if I use PTO, it's not a break. It is work deferred.

6 people found this review helpful

VP Recruiting & Staffing

In the more than 20 years we have been in business, Aegis Therapies has put employee satisfaction at the forefront. Your concerns are our concerns as we place high value on communication and clinical support for each of our team members. Please have a conversation with your manager and take advantage of the multiple resources for providing feedback so that we can better understand your specific situation and take positive action.

2. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Poor Management

23 Sep 2021 - Therapist
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are none at this time.

Cons

This is the first time I have ever written a negative review for a company that employed me, but I am compelled to do so today. Aegis is by far one of the worst companies I’ve worked for. Management absolutely does not care about its employees. They do not recognize staff for its hard work or extra effort. They do not give raises, in fact they give pay cuts. They were of little assistance to staff who were laid off and needed unemployment benefits during the pandemic. They offered no hazard pay to front line staff and never checked on our mental well being or gave any real encouragement during the first year of the pandemic. Upper management rarely visits and continues to pile more and more responsibility on evaluating therapists all while demanding high productivity. About once a year they ask to hear about staff concerns but no changes are made. The staff turn over is high. I could go on but I will stop here. This company disappoints on every level. I do not recommend working for Aegis.

5 people found this review helpful

VP Recruiting & Staffing

Thank you for providing your feedback. This is an unprecedented time and healthcare in particular has been drastically affected by the pandemic and industry changes that continue to take place. That said, our patient-centered values and priorities have not changed, and we have had to remain flexible as these events interrupted the “normality” of doing business. Aegis implemented several COVID related programs to support our employees in early 2020 and communicated the details of those programs through several channels, including regular updates to our internal employee database (myCare) to help ensure all employees were aware of what was available. Because we have been in healthcare for over 22 years, we know there is a strong future for therapy and appreciate our employees now, more than ever, as we continue to integrate the necessary changes to remain relevant in our industry. We understand that across every sector of America, mental well-being is a high priority as we continue to navigate the implications of the changing values and priorities of our patients, clients and team members every day. I encourage you to connect with your DOR, local leadership and RDHR to share your concerns and discuss how we can ensure we work together to help improve your experience moving forward.

3. Join the Aegis Therapies team
      See Our Latest Jobs
    4. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Unethical Company

3 Aug 2021 - Physical Therapist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pay is competitive for the area and the area is nice

Cons

Unethical company with unreasonable productivity standards. Therapists will only do evals, progress notes and discharges. Hopefully contract companies go away with PDPM.

1 person found this review helpful

VP Recruiting & Staffing

Thank you for your commitment to helping people get better every day. We are sorry to hear your experience did not meet expectations. Aegis is committed to providing care within the framework of CMS’s Triple Aim of Healthcare that calls for all of us to be good stewards of our limited healthcare resources and ensure that each action taken by all of our employees is done in a way that is as impactful and meaningful as possible to direct patient care. Aegis supports this goal by using a ‘top of license’ approach where therapists fulfill their primary role of providing the patient care they are uniquely qualified to perform. Aegis standards remain patient-focused, we respect the clinical judgment and expertise of our staff to achieve the best care possible. Although these standards are an important part of providing excellent patient results and meeting the costs of doing business, we encourage our employees to discuss any concerns with their supervisors.

5. 1.0

Not my favorite company

12 Jul 2021 - Speech Language Pathologist in Fort Pierce, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

This company has competitive salaries, good benefit, and state of the art onboarding process.

Cons

High pressure to maintain caseload, unrealistic expectations, difficulty caseloads, micro management and lots of oversight from management. I hated working here. As a seasoned therapist, it's insulting to be micromanaged. They promised a full time caseload but it was very difficult to maintain.

3 people found this review helpful

VP Recruiting & Staffing

Offering a competitive salary with good benefits is an important consideration as an SLP and we are happy to hear that your onboarding experience was a positive one. Whether a new therapist or seasoned one, the first year with our company is an important one. Mentorship and clinical support are offered to help with the adjustment period rather than make you feel micromanaged. We know that caseload sizes are an ongoing concern in the therapy field. We make every effort to keep them manageable with expectations that are based on facility and industry data we gather on a regular basis. Keeping pace with your caseload will vary depending on patient need.

6. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Terrible terrible Company.

19 Jun 2021 - Physical Therapist
      Business Outlook

Pros

None! I can’t think of any at all which is absolutely astounding to me. I have never come across a company like this one. Stay well away if your a serious therapist,.

Cons

No one cares. Unrealistic productivity demands. Managers and regionals that could care less about patients and only about the $$$

3 people found this review helpful

VP Recruiting & Staffing

We are sorry that your experience is not meeting expectations. Aegis Therapies is proud to have an 88.5% employee retention rate, and the positive reviews you see come from real employees and patients. Productivity expectations are just one way to ensure we stay relevant in today’s healthcare environment, which calls for all of us to be good stewards of our limited resources. An important part of this process is to help make sure each clinician is fulfilling their primary role of providing patient care. That said, we understand there may be concerns directly related to an individual situation, and we encourage all employees to take advantage of the multiple avenues available to share feedback and voice concerns.

7. 2.0

Nope

24 Mar 2021 - Certified Occupational Therapist Assistant (COTA)
      Business Outlook

Pros

benefits are good compared to not having any.

Cons

The location was very unorganized and misleading. I was "full-time" but was not getting the hours I should for full-time and to qualify for benefits. I was told it would get better with time however it did not. With COVID things are harder which is understandable but it was not suitable for a first-time job because it was hard to find other therapists and ask questions. There were no clear expectations, people came in at whatever time they wanted and left once all clients were seen. Weekly meetings were optional and not clear when they would be.

2 people found this review helpful

VP Recruiting & Staffing

We are disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet expectations, but your comments are helpful as we look at ways to make the onboarding process as smooth as possible. Although the Public Health Emergency caused unprecedented interruptions to the normal flow of businesses across the nation, we always encourage employees to take advantage of the multiple resources available to give feedback, and seek the support they need to provide excellent patient outcomes.

8. 2.0

Occupational Therapy

23 Mar 2021 - Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Worked with great therapist and they made it fun to be there.

Cons

Poor management and region management.

VP Recruiting & Staffing

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your OT. Having a therapist who serves as a mentor helps to grow professionally and allows one to experience an important aspect of the Aegis Therapies culture. We place a high value on communication and clinical support at all levels and encourage each team member to take advantage of the multiple resources for providing feedback so that we can understand concerns and take positive action.

9. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Prior to Switch to PDPM

10 Mar 2021 - Speech Language Pathologist in Sarasota, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

worked alongside great therapists, clean facility,

Cons

scheduling, high productivity expectations, little accountability for facility carryover of recommendations

VP Recruiting & Staffing

Thank you for your review. Our industry continues to adjust to PDPM and the multiple additional changes and challenges facing our industry today. Aegis is committed to providing care within the framework of CMS’s Triple Aim of Healthcare that calls for all of us to be good stewards of our limited healthcare resources and ensure that each action taken by all of our employees is done in a way that is as impactful and meaningful as possible to direct patient care. Aegis supports this goal by using a ‘top of license’ approach where therapists fulfill their primary role of providing patient care. Managing the tasks that take therapists away from patient care is critical to ensuring their unique skills are directed where they are needed most, empowering and treating patients. Additionally, we support and encourage communication with our partner facilities in order to collaborate in providing appropriate follow-up care by making recommendations and soliciting regular feedback. We encourage all clinicians to work closely with their local directors and management to enhance this process as needed.

10. 3.0

Nice Staff, but unorganized

7 Feb 2021 - Licensed Physical Therapist Assistant in Raytown, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Therapist were all caring and easy to work with

Cons

PRN request were very late notice, I.E. 10pm the night before. company seems less than interested with employee satisfaction

VP Recruiting & Staffing

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the experience with Aegis Therapies during your short time with our company. We are proud of our teams and the positive impact they have on people’s lives every day. PRN’s are based on patient needs that are continuously changing. They may at times require flexibility on the part of our therapists to meet the high standards of customer service that we offer. Employee satisfaction is so much a part of the Aegis culture that we boast an 84% employee engagement.

11. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

All about the bottom line

29 Dec 2020 - Occupational Therapist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nice co-workers. ----- ----- ----

Cons

This company does not want to pay you. Given the amount of education it takes to become a PT/OT/SLP you would expect a decent salary. However, Aegis expects you to do max amount of work for minimum pay. It only went more downhill after PDPM. Things that were previously discouraged for billing purposes were now expected to be normal practice for the same reason. Co-treat. Concurrent treatment. A certain percent of group therapy. Treat the same amount of patients in less time and then leave whether or not you've worked 8 hours. The productivity expectation is absurd. The MBAs who run these companies have no idea what it's like to treat patients in a SNF; all of the external barriers that come in to play. Who is refusing therapy? Who wants therapy later? Who hasn't received their meds yet? Who needs help going to the bathroom or which nurse needs help transferring a patient and even though you want to help, you're hesitant because it's not billable time and won't count toward your productivity. Who would rather go to activity? Who's agitated? Who has a doctor's appointment? Who goes out to the hospital? Who can't actually tolerate therapy? Do screens, build up your caseload, but don't spend too much time because that's not productive. Write your notes while you're with the patient but provide patient centered care. You can only bill for time spent with the patient even if you're in a family care conference where the patient isn't present. Need a wheelchair but can't find one? Search the facility but that's unproductive time. It goes on and on. I'd spend hours working off the clock to get everything i needed to done so it wouldn't mess with my productivity. They say this is against company policy, but they know and don't care. The things we have to do as therapists that we can't bill for. Aegis doesn't give holidays. Want a holiday off? Use your PTO or flex the day. So you can have off Christmas but you need to work saturday to make up for it. Working a holiday? Why should you? NO HOLIDAY PAY!! And don't forget to go online and pick your holiday gift! If you don't you get a nice coffee tumbler! How insulting!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also no chance for a raise unless you've worked there for 15 years, so prepare to be underpaid. Working for this company was a nightmare. My personal hell come to life. thank you for making me hate being an occupational therapist.

5 people found this review helpful

VP Recruiting & Staffing

We are sorry for your experience. Being an Occupational Therapist in a skilled environment does require flexibility, precisely because the care is patient-centered and is organized around a team staffing model. Treatment depends on the volume and acuity needs of the patients requiring skilled rehabilitation in each facility, so workdays will vary. Aegis Therapies is proud to be clinician lead. Our CEO is a licensed PT, and all therapy field leadership hold PT, OT, or SLP credentials. This, combined with over 20 years in the industry, enables us to understand the challenges of providing efficiencies in cost, quality treatment and patient satisfaction. With the shifting costs of healthcare, varying reimbursement rates, the pandemic, and PDPM, it has been an extraordinary year. Throughout all these changes, Aegis continues to be committed to making necessary adjustments to best achieve our patient care objectives, support the incredible challenges faced by our therapists and customers. We are pleased to continue to offer benefits that are competitive in the industry. We trust our staff with our mission to make a difference every day, as well as their ability to handle their PTO, vacation schedule and tools to get the job done. With 88.5% employee retention, we know we are continuing to build a solid team of professionals who impact the variety of clinical settings they work in.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 88 Reviews