Find jobs for Data Scientist

Updated 21 Jun 2020

4.5
Airbnb CEO & Co-Founder Brian Chesky
Brian Chesky
  1. "Great culture but with weak leadership and some bad apples"

I have been working at Airbnb full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Company takes care of you. - Work life balance can be achieved without too much pressure. - Smart colleagues

Cons

- Leadership and middle management mostly unvetted with little experience. - Self-promotion leading to unideal outcomes for users and the company (eg., tech debt, not telling full view of results). - Cutting corners leads to long term costs and over-hiring of teams to maintain unmaintainable systems. - Poor feedback loop means managers and leaders are left not accountable.

Continue reading
  2. "Very good place to work"

Former Employee - Data Scientist

I worked at Airbnb full-time

Pros

- Culture of company is amazing - People are so friendly and take care each other - Too many opportunities to grow and develop career

Cons

- Some low level managers have not been trained well

3. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Staff Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Friendly, interesting problems, great people

Cons

passive aggressive behaviors, expectation can be unclear

4. "All considered a great place to work"

I have been working at Airbnb full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Compensation - People - Work - Culture

Cons

Takes a lot to get promoted

5. "Great culture, ambient, tools, people."

Former Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Airbnb full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cool office, freedom to choose projects, the food.

Cons

Didn't find any relevant cons.

6. "Greatest Internship"

Former Intern - Intern data scientist in Paris
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Airbnb for less than a year

Pros

Great Team, Great Missions and colleagues that respect yourself and your ideas.

Cons

Some missions can be really intense

"A great place for data scientists"

I have been working at Airbnb full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Lots of great people (smart, skilled, empathetic & kind) both on the DS team and across the company. - Tons of opportunities to learn and grows as a DS through great lunch & learns (with great external speakers as well), internal workshops and mini-conference like data days. Amazing for data nerds. Lots of opportunities for DS mentorship from experienced folks if you seek it out. $1000 Education stipend. - Competitive compensation for DS and other positions. Company is profitable and usually generous to its employees. - All the usual great perks of a Sillicon Valley company like food, great snacks, flexible working hours, lots of benefits etc + $2000 in Airbnb credits/year - Great tooling and always improving on this (Knowledge Repo, data portal, R, Python servers, modeling platform etc) - Decent company growth and diversification - Not everything is perfect, but DS leadership listens, is open to feedback and acts on the feedback - Great company and DS brand - Strong data culture: data has a strong voice and DS are respected. People are eager to learn more about data through Data U. Focus on data self sufficiency etc. - Absolutely stunning office. Visitors are always amazed. - Inclusive, diverse and welcoming culture

Cons

- Waiting for IPO. Company took action to increase cash comp in the meantime (which was highly appreciated!), but still would be great to IPO soon - Still lots of improvement for data tooling (Superset, pipelining etc) and data quality - Often stretched thin, which can be stressful. Need to hire more DS faster - Food is sometimes great, sometimes just ok - Wish the office was closer to public transportation. Lyft credits mostly solve this, though. - Sometimes I feel like there can be too much of a SJW vibe, but I suppose this is a byproduct of having lots of highly empathetic and kind people.

"Awesome place to work as a Data Scientist"

I have been working at Airbnb full-time for more than a year

Pros

1) Data Scientists are valued partners and have a seat at the table when key decisions are made. PMs seek out my input to opportunity size projects, and when I have an idea that I want to drive, they listen. My eng leader is keen to invest in data in order to support my and my team's work. 2) The team has a wealth of expertise in many fields of data science, ML, forecasting, Analytics, etc. Whenever I have a question, there is always someone on the team who is an expert that I can learn from. 3) I really like our internal tools - both Airflow and Superset are two of my favorite new tools since joining Airbnb. Also our internal experimentation platform. 4) I'm excited to work for a company that I think is genuinely making the world a better place by helping people connect and belong. I came to the US as a refugee, and Airbnb's stand for refugees made me proud to work here. 5) Internal mobility on the data science team is strongly encouraged and supported. Once you've been in your role for a year or two, you can start looking at other roles if you're interested. So there are always more problems to solve!

Cons

1) Airbnb moves really fast - roadmaps change frequently and it's sometimes hard to keep up. 2) While we're getting better at it, we still don't always think very long term.

Continue reading

"Amazing culture and impactful work!"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time

Pros

I am very proud of the culture and impact of our data science team. We have one of the most diverse teams in industry, with more than 120 Data Scientists working on all aspects of the business. I could not be happier to come to work every day, and see the value that we are adding to the company, and to the data science community more broadly through open-source projects and participation at top conferences.

Cons

All the challenges expected from a fast-growing team and company.

"Unfit Management"

1.0
    Former Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Airbnb full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free food and good people.

Cons

There is a lot of chaos and shifting priorities everyday. Managers are homegrown and don't really know how to manage. They are mainly concerned with upward management and don't invest in developing employees. Also, a culture which values visibility and "tooting your own horn" over genuine hard work. A very weak data science foundation that is bound to collapse sooner or later unless something is done about it.

Found 23 reviews