Alpha FX Employee Reviews about "hard work"

Updated 16 Oct 2020

4.1
Alpha FX Chief Executive Officer Morgan Tillbrook
Morgan Tillbrook
Pros
Cons
  • "Long hours can be tough but encourages you to ensure you stay on top of your life and look after yourself(in 10 reviews)

• "This job requires more work and commitment than your typical 9 to 5, and it’s a performance-oriented culture which can be high pressured(in 6 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "hard work"

Return to all Reviews

"Life-changing Opportunity"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Senior Partner in London, England

I have been working at Alpha FX full-time

Pros

Personal development, career growth, team spirit, great remuneration packages, culture, office space. Alpha is a phenomenal company to be a part of

Cons

Worth knowing for new hires, but this isn’t typically a con for people that have longer careers at Alpha: Hard work and humility are must haves - feedback will be constant and transparent, and a culture of combined ownership will force you to work hard and improve continuously. No putting your feet up!

"Alpha FX Canada: Life changing opportunity"

I have been working at Alpha FX full-time for less than a year

Pros

Alpha employs talented, hardworking people who give back to their environment, and it shows. From top to bottom, employees are welcoming and supportive, and are genuinely happy to celebrate your success. The team in Toronto is smaller, is very tight knit, and comes with the buzzing excitement of a Startup with the resources of a medium cap PLC behind it. Days are busy but fast paced; the week goes by very quickly. My colleagues are people that I can learn from, people that I know care about the work they do, and most importantly people I want to have beers with at the end of the week! I highly respect upper management's leadership style. Everything comes down to meritocracy. Questions/learning are highly encouraged, and there is a ton of support for new hires. Mark Stuart, Managing Director, my direct boss is a great example of this. He wants the best for the team, and it shows through his dedication and support. He gives constructive criticism where it’s needed, and just as importantly gives praise where it's deserved. Where we have had differences of opinions, Mark is always candid and open to new opinions despite being the boss. The office is in a Wework: open-ish concept, friendly neighbors, ergonomic desks, stocked kitchen, 2-minute walk from Osgoode station. We are moving to the brand-new WeWork at 357 Bay St soon... if it ever opens! Competitive base salary, benefits, and uncapped commission. Obviously, this job is not for everyone, but for me working at Alpha has been absolutely life changing.

Cons

Hard work/long hours; This was made clear in my interview process; there is an abundance of opportunity offered at alpha, but it is expected that you work your hardest. Hard work is a staple of Alpha culture, and it is easier to work hard when upper management leads by example. If you are looking to clock in/clock out at the bell, this job is not for you.

"Bring your A-Game"

I have been working at Alpha FX full-time for less than a year

Pros

Alpha is publicly listed in the UK and has a proven track record of success. Being part of their first overseas office and applying this proven business model to a new market means a tremendous opportunity. While being at Alpha I’ve personally had the opportunity to travel to the UK twice and also attend a ski trip in France in my first year here. In terms of culture. Alpha emphasizes: integrity, hard-work, constant learning, curiosity, physical activity, and resilience among many other variables which foster a high-performance work environment.

Cons

None that I can think of. However, Alpha may not be the place for you if aren’t ready to truly put in the work and bring your A-Game everyday. With any opportunity that provides continual learning, progression, and life changing experiences, the expectations are great - but the rewards are even greater.

Continue reading

"Opportunity to challenge yourself and be a part of an amazing team"

I have been working at Alpha FX full-time

Pros

Uncapped earning potential. Also a chance to be a part of an amazing, hard working team and an environment where everyone pushes each other to be better every day. Success will come with hard work and consistency.

Cons

As with any sales job, you won’t be successful if you aren’t willing to put in the time and effort every day.

"Great opportunity for hard workers"

I have been working at Alpha FX full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Ability to work in a fast paced environment with a great team - Excellent development and growth opportunities - Hard work pays off mentality - Upper management isn't far removed (CEO and SR Partners are very involved in development) - Opportunity to travel around Canada and Europe -great opportunity for females in finance as it is typically a male dominated industry - had no prior experience in finance or FX and it hasn’t hindered my success

Cons

- with great opportunity comes a lot of pressure. If you can’t take the heat get out of the kitchen - start up in Canada (with every start up comes some growing pains)

Continue reading

"An exciting, fast paced, highly motivating place to work"

Current Employee - Finance in London, England

I have been working at Alpha FX full-time for more than a year

Pros

Alpha is full of hard working, driven and motivated people, across all departments. There is no hierarchy. Everyone is fully exposed meaning potential to learn and grow is enhanced. Hard work and results are expected, rewarded and recognised by everyone in the company. The business is growing rapidly, meaning there are huge opportunities for progression in each department.

Cons

Not a con for a lot of people, but be prepared to work hard/play hard, regardless of which department you are in. Everyone across the firm is expected to contribute to the current and future success’ of the business.

"Incredible Opportunity"

Current Employee - Analyst in London, England

I have been working at Alpha FX full-time for less than a year

Pros

These are the 2 main things that come to mind when considering why I enjoy working at Alpha: The people As soon as you join you realise that you're surrounded by incredibly inspriring, talented, hard-working individuals. I was particularly surprised when I first joined, at how open the culture is here. Everyone, in all areas of the business, will offer their knowledge, experience and feedback in order to push you to excel. Everyone celebrates individual successes and as cheesy as it sounds, there's a real team spirit. The opportunity Having only started at Alpha 8 months ago, and with this being my first job in the industry, the amount that I have learned, the responsibility I have been given and the opportunity ahead of me is pretty incredible. All employees are given the opportunity to forge their own success and hard-work is noticed and highly rewarded. Morgan, the CEO, goes out of his way to praise success when due, and you can tell that he genuinely wants to give employees amazing opportunities. All in all, a job at Alpha is highly rewarding and exciting. I'm genuinely excited as to what the future will bring, and I can feel that the rest of the team is too.

Cons

A high performing team comes with high expectations. You need to be down to earth but an ambitious go-getter - if you're not then you're probably not right for Alpha.

Continue reading

"Working as a woman in Portfolio Management"

Current Employee - Portfolio Manager in London, England

I have been working at Alpha FX full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have been working at Alpha for almost a year now. I am one of the few women working in the FX broker industry and it is worth mentioning that, when doing interviews I thought I wouldn’t work for a broker given that it is traditionally a male dominated industry. However, after meeting the CEO and Head of Portfolio Management, joining Alpha felt like the right decision. I must say that this has been the best choice from both a personal and career perspective. Alpha has given me so much support, I have grown a lot, and I have definitely felt like a member of the team since day-1. Long hours? Hard work? High expectations? YES – but that is what happens in any high-performance industry, and at Alpha you get generously rewarded for the effort you put in and performing well.

Cons

At the beginning, there is lots to take in, you are expected to take ownership of your responsibilities/KPI’s straight away, so allocating the right amount of time for learning new systems, concepts and socialising can be tricky! It all comes down to good time management though.

"The Facts"

Current Employee - PM in London, England

I have been working at Alpha FX full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

With reference to the negative reviews below, let’s stick to the facts. Numbers don’t lie; Alpha is a business that has grown over 50% YOY for the past decade with over 60% of its team now shareholders. What does this tell you about the company’s approach to business and its people? When the company IPO’d last year, it did so with a 97% client retention rate which was independently audited by BDO. What does this tell you about the company’s treatment of clients? And when these reviews were posted, all four went up over the space of 10 days, despite Alpha only receiving 40 reviews in the last five years. What does this tell you about the likelihood these reviews are authentic? If you’re reading the reviews here, the best advice I can give is to reach out to people via LinkedIn; real men, women and people of different nationalities and races who are prepared to stand behind their words. One thing the reviews have got right is this; a high performance culture isn’t for everyone – it requires hard work, determination and sacrifice. Alpha genuinely does change lives though, so if you want to change yours, my advice would be to look at the facts and contact the people who are enjoying the opportunity and community that Alpha provides.

Cons

Like all high performing organisations, you must recognise that there is a higher than normal possibility things will not work out here.

"Hard work is rewarded"

Current Employee - Developer in London, England

I have been working at Alpha FX full-time for less than a year

Pros

Alpha FX is built on the foundations of hard work and a great culture where any employee, regardless of position or department are accepted and treated as part of a family. The hours in the tech department can be long but these are balanced with Alpha’s start up mentality and unique approach towards development which includes ownership and autonomy. Management in tech do not rule with an iron fist and are open to the opinions of their developers which resulted in us using a tech stack that best suited us and the company. Alpha has and is continuously changing my life in a positive way and I have never worked in a position where I look forward to getting back to work the next day.

Cons

It may take a while to understand Alpha and their culture, but once you do there aren’t any cons.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 12 English Reviews