Alpha FX Employee Reviews about "long hours"

Updated 22 Dec 2020

4.1
Alpha FX Chief Executive Officer Morgan Tillbrook
Morgan Tillbrook
Pros
Cons
  • "Long hours can be tough but encourages you to ensure you stay on top of your life and look after yourself(in 10 reviews)

• "This job requires more work and commitment than your typical 9 to 5, and it’s a performance-oriented culture which can be high pressured(in 6 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "long hours"

Return to all Reviews

"Toxic culture, high turnover"

1.0
    • Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - Portfolio Manager in London, England

I worked at Alpha FX full-time for less than a year

Pros

None, potentially compensation if able to close deal in over commoditized industry

Cons

- faulty hiring process with plenty of white lies and half truths - long hours with lying about it in the interview process. Not 9-6 not even 7-7 because if you don't work on weekend you're not working enough - toxic office culture with no team atmosphere and backstabbing. Either their truth or you are out - most of the negative reviews on glassdoor ARE TRUE - management and small group (about 5) are the only ones really happy with this place and berate the rest of the team - do not try to bring new ides or even worse, question the way things are done (even when they can be improved)

Continue reading

"Alpha FX Canada: Life changing opportunity"

Current Employee - Portfolio Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Alpha FX full-time for less than a year

Pros

Alpha employs talented, hardworking people who give back to their environment, and it shows. From top to bottom, employees are welcoming and supportive, and are genuinely happy to celebrate your success. The team in Toronto is smaller, is very tight knit, and comes with the buzzing excitement of a Startup with the resources of a medium cap PLC behind it. Days are busy but fast paced; the week goes by very quickly. My colleagues are people that I can learn from, people that I know care about the work they do, and most importantly people I want to have beers with at the end of the week! I highly respect upper management's leadership style. Everything comes down to meritocracy. Questions/learning are highly encouraged, and there is a ton of support for new hires. Mark Stuart, Managing Director, my direct boss is a great example of this. He wants the best for the team, and it shows through his dedication and support. He gives constructive criticism where it’s needed, and just as importantly gives praise where it's deserved. Where we have had differences of opinions, Mark is always candid and open to new opinions despite being the boss. The office is in a Wework: open-ish concept, friendly neighbors, ergonomic desks, stocked kitchen, 2-minute walk from Osgoode station. We are moving to the brand-new WeWork at 357 Bay St soon... if it ever opens! Competitive base salary, benefits, and uncapped commission. Obviously, this job is not for everyone, but for me working at Alpha has been absolutely life changing.

Cons

Hard work/long hours; This was made clear in my interview process; there is an abundance of opportunity offered at alpha, but it is expected that you work your hardest. Hard work is a staple of Alpha culture, and it is easier to work hard when upper management leads by example. If you are looking to clock in/clock out at the bell, this job is not for you.

"A lifetime job!"

Current Employee - Portfolio Manager in Paddington, England

I have been working at Alpha FX full-time for less than a year

Pros

* Surrunded by inspirational skilled thinkers and salesmen * Progression and personal / professional development opportunities vast in comparison to every other company I have worked for * Change/ adaption culutre is instant * You have a voice! * Opportunity to very realistically change your life financially * Healthy working environment with access to a gym * Superb events, incentives and trips * You feel you are part of something special that is growing at rapid pace

Cons

*Long hours can be tough but encourages you to ensure you stay on top of your life and look after yourself * The first six months can be very daunting and demanding but the reward once you reach the end outweighs the initial pain siginificantly *The job magnifies your personal and professional strengths and weakness instantly so you must be prepared to confront your truth and deal with it quickly!

"An environment that inspires high performance"

Current Employee - Head of Settlements

I have been working at Alpha FX full-time for less than a year

Pros

Recognised and heard from the moment you join and continually throughout your career. With a strong emphasis on culture, which is driven by the CEO and reinforced by each employee, you are surrounded by ambitious and exceptionally talented people from the front to back office. Constantly pushed to reach your potential and given the tools to enable you to reach them. Radical candour can be seen as a negative, however, the flat structure and the ability to speak your mind to all employees creates a positive working environment encouraging an open and honest culture.

Cons

It is easy to say the long hours but a few weeks/ months in the hours aren’t an issue and the days fly by.

"An incredible company that I'm so proud to be part of"

Current Employee - FX Analyst in Paddington, England

I have been working at Alpha FX full-time for less than a year

Pros

Alpha has provided me with such an amazing opportunity, and I'm so proud to be part of the team. The company is full of exciting, talented, driven people, that continue to empower each other and genuinely want others to do well, which is so motivating. Male/Female, young/old, it doesn't matter, as long as you work hard you will be recognised and rewarded - which is a breath of fresh air for this industry.

Cons

I struggle to think of anything significant, yes we work long hours but this is just the norm to me now and the culture and rewards outweigh this considerably.

"fantastic business"

Former Employee - Sales in London, England

I worked at Alpha FX full-time for more than a year

Pros

chance to participate in a fast growing and excellent run business

Cons

No cons other than the long hours you are expected to put in

"Poor Management"

1.0
    Former Employee - Software Developer in London, England

I worked at Alpha FX full-time for less than a year

Pros

There really aren't any pros. I think this was the worst company I worked for.

Cons

Unfortunately, one team leader is incompetent and has poor soft skills. His flatulence is very inappropriate and he thinks he's funny. Management is more concerned about appearance rather than being productive. If you want to work here you will be expected to get in at 7:30am or 8:00am, even though, during the interview they might tell you to get in at 9am. In reality they expect you to work from 7am to 9pm even if there are no real reasons for it. Sometimes they will ask you to work during the weekend because they say they are “bleeding” money. Oh and if at the end of all those long hours, you end up being unproductive, exhausted or sick (I became sick after a few weeks), they don’t care. On regular days, if you want to leave at 6pm, be prepared the next day for them to scold you how you should have stayed longer hours without getting paid for it. They also like to praise they have an “open door policy” where anyone can go and talk to the CEO but that is not true at all. Within my first week, I was asking questions to my other team members on why things are done in a certain way, if the targets were feasible and if things were being done correctly. Within a few hours management intimidated me into stop asking questions. And every time someone leaves the company, someone will bid them farewell with the song “Another one bites the dust” by Queen. You won’t be missed.

"Constant Innovation Engine"

I have been working at Alpha FX full-time for less than a year

Pros

* Commerical Offering - The brand, the people and the process are far better than i've experienced elsewhere. We compete in league far higher than our size would suggest and often win. The company has strong prospects. *Financial Rewards - Pay is top of the tier in the industry, the compensation scheme is transparent and fair, and is aligned with customer best interest. *Development Potential - I learned more in my first few months here than my previous couple of years combined. The entire process here is based around constant improvement and accountability. *Great working environment - The people are inclusive, passionate about the business and, most importantly, you have a voice in the way things are done.

Cons

Long Hours and Total Commitment - Given the potential rewards of success and scope of the development opportunities, it isn't surprising the expectations are high in this area. *Constant Change - Since the company is in a high growth phase and has a start-up mentality, things change often in order to find best practice. You need to be comfortable 'going with flow'.

"employee review"

Portfolio Manager in Reading, England

I have been working at Alpha FX for more than 3 years

Pros

- limitless growth opportunities - great culture - recognition and rewards - commission structure (v. generous, six figure salary is realisable within 12 months)

Cons

- long hours - tenacity required - be prepared to methodically self-develop

"A unique opportunity"

Former Employee - Portfolio Manager in Reading, England

I worked at Alpha FX full-time

Pros

1. Money: industry leading basic remuneration and an unparalleled commission structure which truly provides limitless earning potential that is both fair and transparent. 2. Proximity to directors: there is an enormous amount to be learnt from the directors who lead by example and regularly share their thoughts with the room in open discussions in which everyone's opinion is valued. This provides opportunity for constant innovation. 3. (In)trepeneurial company: If you are someone to whom the idea of working for yourself appeals, then the way in which this role is structured is perfect as it allows you to build your own business portfolio within the framework of the company. This really is a 'best of both worlds' approach: You can work with all the autonomy and ownership you would get owning your own business while also having the added benefit of Alpha's impressive infrastructure behind you. 4. Escalator for talent: Progression is offered on the basis of ability, not time-served.

Cons

1. Long hours: there is no such thing as a free lunch; this is a hard-job and the rewards necessitate a high level of commitment to the role. Thankfully, the team are very good fun to be around. 2. Implicit in the desire to constantly improve is the assumption that there is no such thing as faultless performance. While the ability to look at all performances with a critical eye is no doubt one of the reasons Alpha has been so successful, now and again, everyone should remember to take a step back and pat each other on the back to acknowledge the phenomenal level of success the business has already had. Of course, there are always the quarterly socials and bi-annual holidays for this.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 English Reviews

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.