American Cancer Society Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated Aug 21, 2019

Found 1362 reviews

3.1
Gary Reedy
Pros
  • "Working for a company that can actually do good in the world, some people are very motivated, great benefits(in 83 reviews)

• "Work/Life Balance, not hard to exceed income goals if you are good at managing a team and are a good relationship builder(in 79 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Communications Specialist

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing Benefits. This is a company dedicated to their cause and who has a healthy work/life balance.

Cons

There can be a big learning curve when you have leadership that is remove, but the leaders are eager to help you learn and understand.

American Cancer Society2019-08-16
  2. "Good job, poor management."

Former Employee - Concierge At Hope Lodge in Lubbock, TX

I worked at American Cancer Society part-time

Pros

The job itself is very simple and it feels great to be able to care for/help patients and their families.

Cons

Management at the Lubbock, TX location is horrendous.

American Cancer Society2019-08-21
  3. "Director"

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

PTO and benefits are a plus.

Cons

The organization is not what it used to be. I’ve been with ACS for 2 years and with all of the restructuring, good staff are leaving as the leadership changes and the mission is not the priority.

Advice to Management

Focus on supporting the staff currently with the organization instead of creating a revolving door of new staff with no non-profit experience.

American Cancer Society2019-08-22
  4. "Needs more focus on employee retention"

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Co-workers, Volunteers, Events, Work From Home

Cons

Pay, Upper Leadership, Hours, Overworked

Advice to Management

Create more sustainable full time opportunities and support professional development - it’s a revolving door because we can feel how little you care about the field staff.

American Cancer Society2019-08-20
  5. "Strong Mission & Major Stresses"

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time for more than a year

Pros

The mission is incredible; strong and clear stewards of where revenue goes and why; flexible schedules; great paid time off; freedom to be creative in your fundraising ideas/methods

Cons

High revenue goals; poor mid and upper management; yearly staff lay-offs and high turnover; typically working 40+ hrs a week so you need to be responsible for your own work/life balance boundaries; overwhelming lack of trust in leadership across the board; within most markets you’ll have a lot of trouble engaging the community due to staff turnover, poor longevity planning, and upset volunteers; Mid-level managers are...

Advice to Management

Set realistic goals; coach up or out poor management because you’ll keep losing good employees if not; monitor and set expectations for fundraisers who are under-performing; relieve the stress and burdens that are continued to be placed on your employees as they often think if they don’t perform, their job may be eliminated; Mid-level managers should be responsible for helping gain revenue and not just be responsible...

American Cancer Society2019-08-16
  6. "Great Culture"

Former Employee - RFL Coordinator in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time for more than a year

Pros

Dedicated team, passionate people

Cons

Non profit, lack of resources

American Cancer Society2019-07-31
  7. "Help people all day, but very draining"

Former Employee - Patient Service Representative

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time

Pros

-You get to feel good about what you do all day! You help patients and families for a living during a really hard time -Great people! So many incredible people work here -100% work from home

Cons

-Very overworked, underpaid, under staffed. You have to do so many things at once. -Low pay -Management is slow to change anything even if it makes good business sense

American Cancer Society2019-08-12
  8. "Wonderful non-profit organization with fulfilling work & great benefits!"

Current Employee - Cancer Resource Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time for less than a year

Pros

Your job is to help callers who have to deal with cancer as a patient, caregiver, or medical/social worker. In your own way, you are working toward a greater good. Supportive management, excellent benefits, competitive wage. Work from home.

Cons

As with any call center, you need to adhere to scheduled breaks and lunches so less freedom to decide when you take those.

American Cancer Society2019-07-26
  9. "Not supportive to research-focused interns"

Former Employee - Masters Level Social Work in Louisville, KY

I worked at American Cancer Society for less than a year

Pros

Great opportunity for bachelors level interns - allows for introduction to cancer policy-based systems, or for masters level students who wish to pursue systems work with fundraising and marketing focus.

Cons

Working with state-based offices is not a good internship choice for Master of Science interns who have a major focus on research - according to exit interview with national office leadership, the Atlanta-based ACS research office would have been a better placement for me.

Advice to Management

Create a map of internship location placement opportunities commensurate with intern academic focus/course of study in order to match intern academic requirements with appropriate staff whose role in the organization creates a placement of mutual benefit.

American Cancer Society2019-07-31
  10. "Beware Of Burnout"

Former Employee - Cancer Information Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great benefits and you're helping people

Cons

Burnout and a corporate culture that talks a good game about caring for the employees but you're really just cogs in a big machine

Advice to Management

Focus more on the mental health aspects of the Employee Assistance Program. I burned out, kept trying with diminishing success, was bounced from supervisor to supervisor as teams were reshuffled (so my support was stopped and started multiple times), and by the time I was terminated I had a complete psychological breakdown requiring involuntary hospitalization. I'm still not fully recovered 4 years later. I was notified...

American Cancer Society2019-07-28