American Income Life Reviews

Updated 3 Aug 2020

3.8
American Income Life Chief Executive Officer, AIL Agency Division Steven K. Greer
Steven K. Greer
Pros
  • "Most importantly (for me)the ability to make a LOT of money(in 101 reviews)

• "This company works on an Opportunity Unlimited Philosophy and that truly means unlimited(in 90 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours which can be difficult and young staff which can also be difficult for older applicants(in 263 reviews)

• "100% commission based pay so that makes it difficult(in 110 reviews)

1. "Best plce to work"

4.0
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Ahmedabad

I worked at American Income Life full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good company Great culture Good place to work

Cons

Not much No No No NO

"Might Be The Longest & Hopefully the Most Honest & Balanced Review on Glassdoor Concerning AIL. Please read to the end!"

4.0
    Current Employee - Regional Director

I have been working at American Income Life full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

So many pros here....let's start with: 1) Freedom & flexibility- the ability to be an independent contractor (1099 associate) who can set their own hours, work pace, and income level. 2) Preparation for the future- It is also nice that you can utilize AIL to gain valuable knowledge about sales, marketing, business development, communications and almost any other valuable skill/trait you would normally acquire in a university/college setting before setting out into the professional world. AIL is a great place for people to develop a solid core for what may lie ahead in their future for what they ultimately want to do for the rest of their lives. 3) A fully-vested, Union-protected 10-year renewal plan makes achieving whatever you want to do in life possible- whether it is starting your own business or a non-profit, without taking out huge small business loans. Work hard now- enjoy the financial benefits for the rest of your life. 4) The socialization aspect: from policyholders to co-workers to the random person that opens up the door to you on a daily basis there is never a boring day @ AIL. In short, we get paid to drive, talk, and help educate people on how to be financially literate when it comes to insurance and savings. Also, we get invited to BBQ's, family functions, and many other cool events from our members. It is impossible to work @ AIL and not develop a strong social network as a result of working here! 5) The opportunity to be given recognition and additional responsibilities based on your own results, instead of on tenure or who you know 6) Legitimate 6-figure income reality...I've personally only had 1 year under $100,000 and I took a ton of time off that year. I had never made more than 50,000 per year working 60-70 hours per week in retail prior to AIL. 7) Good Senior Leadership/Mentors: although rare, this company truly some fantastic individuals sitting in high-profile & decision-making positions within the company...many of whom truly live the company's mottos and operating principles to the 'T' 8) Ability to rebound quickly in a financial crisis- whether it happens directly or indirectly to you there a very few professional opportunities where you can go make an extra 10K or so the following month, even if you are not a manager. While money is the root of all evil, it can also help you do great by and support those around when times get tough. As long as someone focuses on the beneficial aspects of the monetary opportunity at AIL they will be in a good place. 9) Running your own business- as long as you are showing results and growth, you can run your own office(s) with nearly absolute autonomy. But, unlike running your own traditional business, you have the support of a Fortune 700 company and its senior leaders when you need it. It's the best of both world's really.

Cons

NOTE: Every individual AIL office is franchised and no two are exactly alike in nature...just like a fast-food chain or multiple-location gym. Depending on your SGA (AIL franchise-owner), RGA, MGA, and other upline managers, you may have the above-mentioned freedom & financial opportunities inhibited by several factors including: 1) Micromanagement- many managers treat their associates like W-2 employees in their daily interactions with them and should be reminded of the 6-Point Test for Independent Contractors to help them develop a working relationship that is more true to the nature of their contract. Recommend to do something, but not require them to do something. Small but huge difference between the two. 2) Too heavy of a focus on the scripts- teach your associates the script and it's key components but don't hold back their creativity and interpretation of the presentation- remember, you hired them because they were intelligent beings (I hope)...not script-reciting robots. 3) Mandatory Meetings- yikes, this is a huge legal volcano waiting to bury the SGA's of this company. Recommend attendance and explain why it is important associates are there...and leave it at that. 4) Lack of accountability from senior management- remember, you are not infallible...quit making promises you can't back up and if you fail to uphold your end of the bargain, make it right in whatever way possible! 5) Buddy-buddy system- depending on the SGA, many are very cliquey and develop too tight of an inner-circle where the general attitude becomes very akin to a fanatic cult. Stay true to your standards and guidelines, not to who challenges you the least and edifies the very ground you walk on 6) Chargebacks and selective underwriting- you may actually owe the money back to the company if you submit a policy that does not get issued due to health, even though sometimes the insured met the underwriting guidelines of the field guide you were issued. AIL also does not like to underwrite large policies for some reason. 7) Too many traps in the bonus system- many times as a senior manager I have not earned the bonuses I projected on earning because of the several pitfalls in the bonus system, such as the quality of the downline manager (the manager you are supervising), the fact that your downline managers did not code enough new associates (even though you might have) 8) The Peter-principle- associates are promoted to management positions to rapidly in many SGAships across AIL so they never get a chance to fully grow into their previous role and end up failing miserably at everything. Give junior associates more time to hone their skills before throwing the next task(s) at them. If you want to grow so bad, go do it yourself and stop forcing others to take on your responsibilities.

May 15, 2018HR Manager

Thank you for your thorough review of the AIL opportunity. We appreciate you taking the time to help others understand the uniqueness of our Independent Agent position. We enjoy seeing our agents succeed and know that hard work and dedication is a staple of a successful AIL agent. We thank you for being a part of our AIL family!

"Best opportunity I have ever had."

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at American Income Life full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Make my own schedule -Supportive team and managers-positive energy & recognition -Set personal goals and grow professionally -Gain workplace skills every week from your mentors, always the opportunity to learn and move forward

Cons

Nothing so far I love my job.

August 5, 2020HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We're happy you're enjoying the positive work environment and a supportive team atmosphere that we encourage at AIL. Professional growth and opportunity are important aspects of our Agency culture and we're glad you're benefiting. Best wishes for a long and successful career with us!

"Especially right now"

Current Employee - Personal Producer & Master General Agent in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at American Income Life full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

work from home decide your pay 60% starting off and up ownership of everything easily a $50,000 a year + position for hardworking and coach able people great way to get into management freedom

Cons

stupid bad reviews from people that are weak and bratty

July 24, 2020HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. As you know, AIL strives to provide our agents with a positive work environment and the opportunity for continued growth and development. With a strong work ethic, this career can lead to an abundance of personal and financial success. Thank you for being an integral part of our team's mission to provide financial protection to families in our community. Best wishes to even more success at AIL.

5. "Great company with a great culture"

Current Employee - Supervising Agent in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at American Income Life full-time for less than a year

Pros

- over 100% commission - company competitions to win prizes - top of the line training - selfless leadership - no politics when trying to get a promotion

Cons

can't really think of any.

Continue reading
  6. "Fast paced, competitive, energized atmosphere."

Current Employee - Agent

I have been working at American Income Life full-time

Pros

My managers have been 100% honest with me from the start. It's hard work, it's 100% commission based, but the system is set up for success! The potential to make great money while also helping my community isn't something I've been able to do in the past. So grateful for this opprotunity. The ability to work from home is the real seller for me with this company.

Cons

If you aren't willing to work hard, this job isn't for you. If you aren't willing to be on the phone all day every day, this isn't the job for you.

7. "Amazing Company"

Current Employee - Insurance Agent

I have been working at American Income Life full-time

Pros

Great company, Great employees. They are a people first company and really do care about their employees. Great training, Amazing opportunities!

Cons

I wouldnt say there is any cons but you do need to be coachble and willing to work hard for what you want

8. "Life changing career opportunity, guaranteed results with hard work, open mindedness and a positive attitude!"

Current Employee - Supervising Agent

I have been working at American Income Life full-time

Pros

100% schedule control, unlimited income potential, people first environment, great mentors and colleagues to grow and learn from, freedom of becoming the best professional version of yourself, lifetime business skills to obtain and keep, positive growth and abundance mindset. This company will trick you into believing anything is possible in as little as seven days.

Cons

Not for the faint of heart, not for those who give up easily, not for those who prefer comfort over exponential life changes in a rapid fashion.

August 5, 2020HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback and for your service to our AIL team and customers! We love hearing that you're benefiting from the schedule flexibility, thorough training, and incredible income we offer through hard work and dedication. Thank you for all you do and best wishes for many more years of career success with AIL.

9. "Great company!"

5.0
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative (CSR)

I worked at American Income Life full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits Understanding training Union based

Cons

Union doesn’t always help Took away bonus for CSRs

"this is an opportunity unlimited"

Current Employee - Manager in Edison, NJ

I have been working at American Income Life full-time for less than a year

Pros

work from home, create your own future, opportunity is endless

Cons

this opportunity is unlimited for those that want to hard. the bad reviews on here just seem to be from people that want an easy way out and arent interested in hustling

July 22, 2020HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate that you recognize hard work and commitment to this AIL career can be extremely rewarding financially and personally. Thank you for your dedication and your valuable contribution to our team's success. Best wishes for a long and successful career with us!

Found 2599 reviews