Amgen Project Manager Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated Aug 24, 2019

2.6
Amgen CEO Robert A. Bradway
Robert A. Bradway

"Was a great place but somehow management took a turn"

I worked at Amgen full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A lot of smart and talented staff

Cons

Moral was down due to all the layoffs

Advice to Management

Start listening to what's really going on.

Amgen2019-08-24

"No seats in Tampa"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Amgen full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good values and nice people

Cons

The shared services center is designed for collaboration and not effective productivity. Management readily admits that there are not seats for everyone assigned to the center yet everyone is expected to be in the office. Monitors are hard to come by and laptops are too small when working in spreadsheets.

Advice to Management

Saving money by moving to Tampa isn’t getting you more bang for you buck. It’s gett you less. Give us the space and tools to do our jobs and we will produce.

Amgen2019-03-08

"Wonderful company and people"

I worked at Amgen full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

People - I had the privilege of working with not only intelligent people, but also people who care about their impact on the world Benefits - The benefits program did change and was reduced a bit, it was still one of the best packages available at any company I've worked for Patients - It's not often that you get to work at a place that has real purpose and when you know that you are contributing to saving and... improving lives, there is almost nothing better Diversity - Amgen has always had an incredibly diverse workforce at all levels even before it was popular

Cons

Career Opportunities Limited - opportunities for career advancement were a bit challenging if one did not want to be a biologist, scientist or technology specialist. It prevented me from being able to explore certain areas any further than where I was, when I left. Dependent on Credentials - from a hiring perspective, the prevalent management culture focused disproportionately on degrees and certifications. While... those are important there were a number of highly qualified people that were passed over as a result.

Advice to Management

You have generally been committed to diversity at all levels and it shows in hiring and promotions. However, given how good Amgen is traditionally, it might be appropriate to expand the notion of diversity to be more inclusive beyond gender and race. One examples is for recruitment and hiring of non-college degree or certificate only employees and applicants. When I was there I saw a couple of very qualified... individuals that were not considered for a position because of they lacked the specific education, but their experience and ability to problem solve was exceptional. Sadly, those people went to other companies and we lost out on their experiences and perspective. Insight and innovation can come from a multitude of places and when diversity is only about race or gender, it limits the ability for new ideas to develop.

Amgen2019-01-30

"Politics, dishonesty, fake values"

Former Contractor - Project Manager

I worked at Amgen

Pros

Campus and food (but really?)

Cons

everything else, arrogant and fake atmosphere above all

Advice to Management

Stop PR propaganda and face the fact that Amgen is no more innovative biotech with great pipeline and prospects. It seems management is primary concerned with maximizing (sometimes forcefully) current products, and with political correctness (genre "diversity" is a prime example - come on, some department are so woman-friendly it's ridiculous (and I am a woman!). What happened to hire people based on their... competency? Very fake, arrogant and "behind the back aggressive" organization.

Amgen2018-08-24

"You schmooze you gain"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Amgen full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great peers, decent benefits, some balance

Cons

Zero growth, meritocracy nonexistent, backbiting and politicking

Advice to Management

Replace HR. They only talk to you at the time of hiring and firing. Zero talent review and recognition

Amgen2018-05-18

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times"

I worked at Amgen full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

All the fringe benefits of a Fortune 500

Cons

Career Advancement relies heavily on direct manager feedback to quote "I would have to go to the annual promotion meeting and stand on the table and light my hair on fire to demand a raise for a staff member."

Advice to Management

Recognize and develop your key talent; more transparency on career advancement with tangible goals, timelines and less focus on a manager's singular opinion. The career advancement process and management accountability in place during my tenure was unfortunately very lacking. Twice departments I was in were given approval to hire a higher level employee (less educated and skilled for a fact) than myself instead of... promoting a dedicated employee like myself from within and backfilling the lower position. It made no sense whatsoever and was highly disparaging from trusting any further advancement.

Amgen2018-01-14
  7. "Contractors Rule"

Current Contractor - Project Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Amgen for more than 5 years

Pros

Beautiful campus, tons of resources, great working conditions

Cons

Being a contractor here makes you a 2nd class citizen. Contractors are ineligible for many services. Aside from that - it s great

Advice to Management

Employees care far more about the success of the firm than contractors. You may believe a contractor is less costly, but in the end, you pay for more in indirect costs. Opening access to confidential information to contractors with no allegiance to the firm is highly risky.

Amgen2017-11-14

"Project Manager"

I worked at Amgen full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Awesome people and beautiful surroundings.

Cons

More work than you can anticipate and lots of rework in many ever-changing situations.

Advice to Management

Pay closer attention and give focus to the people in the organization. The culture is what makes this company good or great.

Amgen2017-10-17
  9. "Work Place Culture"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Amgen full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very good place to work, great benefits, gym etc. enjoy the campus with few basketball courts, and soccer field.

Cons

Growth within the Organization is hard as too many are at same level, more emphasis on cost cutting lately, I guess it has become industry norm

Advice to Management

Communication

Amgen2017-06-14

"Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Breda

I worked at Amgen full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great pay Great resources Great facility Great products

Cons

Work balance, work keeps on coming short term vision lack of leadership no ownership

Advice to Management

site management go back to kindergarten

Amgen2017-06-01