AppFolio Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
AppFolio President and CEO Brian Donahoo
Brian Donahoo

Pros
  • They treat their employees in sales super well and always promote great work life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Awesome upper management and fantastic company culture (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • No cons to think of at this time (in 12 reviews)

• Customer Success is not appreciated enough - could boost morale with more recognition (in 9 reviews)

"Great company - horrendous Sales Development department"

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AppFolio is a great company to work for. They offer a superior product, are an industry leader, financially solid, a bright future, offer TREMENDOUS benefits, great office locations (Santa Barbara, San Diego, Dallas), nice/new modern open floor plans, employee friendly/modern work environment, catered lunches and their famous fully stocked kitchen/free food.

In addition, one thing I highly respected was their transparency into the company's internal finances, processes and changes. We would have monthly company meetings hosted by the CEO or VP of Sales and all the department heads would share the changes and updates. Pretty rare for a publicly traded company.

Cons

I write this with the preface that I was not a perfect employee and made some mistakes. But I was well-respected and had no HR record.

I took the SDR role under the promise in my interview that if I met all the requirements for promotion I would have an opportunity to transfer further in the Marketing department . Throughout the course of the 1 year role obligation (WAY to long to be an outbound SDR), I achieved every requirement necessary and was a top performer on the team. When I became promotable I was told there are no higher level Marketing positions in the Dallas office. So I was misled from day 1 and used for department/company production for a year. I made it clear in my interview and throughout my tenure my only intention to continue my Marketing career. To be fair, I was offered promotions to other departments. None of them were in my career path so I declined.

The SDR role is atrocious. It's a vertical market and limited prospects. The department has been calling on the same prospects for years and AppFolio created a terrible sales tactic reputation. We were consistently reassigned accounts that were called way too many times in the past. I was instructed to even call accounts/contacts again that had previous call notes that said "Never contact me again", "Do not contact" and even people who unsubscribed from Marketing emails "to see if things changed". I was yelled at by prospects, pleaded with to stop calling, cussed out and hung up on countless times for continuing to call these accounts.

Inbound leads are a joke and veil of secrecy covers them. It was obvious the SDR team at corporate was fed more leads than our satellite office. We had to fight for a "put back" system when we were assigned garbage leads. Once we got a system, it would take management a week to approve and there was no transparency if we actually were placed back on top of the round robin.

SDR management is the most extreme passive-aggressive micro-managers I’ve ever worked for. They made a brutal job even more unbearable. It is a glorified cold-calling call center. They're obsessed with KPIs (primarily outbound calls), constantly monitoring the dashboards and would Gchat you if you're not on pace or didn’t hit your KPIs for 1 day. Even if your production (meetings set & SQLs created) were at or above quota you would be hounded. Further, if you were in trouble or they needed to talk to you they would sneak up behind your desk and say this incredibly annoying saying “Got a sec?”.

In addition, management was the worsts leaders I’ve ever had. In my entire tenure I maybe saw them call a prospect 5 times. They had no respect from the team because of this. The Sales managers on the other hand led by example and were constantly on calls and demos with prospects. SDR management would always show these ridiculous motivational videos, give these corny speeches, and have the cheesiest sayings and emails. We also had WAAAAY too many meetings/huddles for an SDR team. 1 every morning and afternoon which we would usually play these 3rd grader games. We’d even have random end of day huddles if that wasn’t enough. We were treated like children. If you were 10 minutes late from lunch you got a scolding. If you were gone from your desk “too long” they would come find you.

There were LOTS of broken promises that included:
    *Monthly team outings. We had maybe 5 in my 14 months
    *Misquoted monthly bonus amounts - We requested they be written into our comp
     plan to prevent this, but was told they “may change monthly” and would be too difficult.
    *Constantly changing and unclear promotion requirements
    *We were encouraged to give department feedback, but it was used against you

The pay is atrocious for the job and bearing the manager. You start at $18/hr. Per Glassdoor, the average starting salary for an SDR in Dallas is $22/hr.

To sum it up, in my 14 months there 18 SDRs either quit (14) or got fired (4) and only 3 were promoted. Says it all!

If you want to work for a great company apply at AppFolio. Just not as an SDR unless you’re looking for a miserable, dead-end entry level cold-calling job!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing in regards to your growth strategy and taking care of your employees. If you want a successful Sales Development department fire the current management and bring in new competent, honest and strong leaders.

9 May 2017 – CMO

An SDR role does include working toward KPIs, lots of outbound calling and working closely with management. For most of our SDR team, this is one of their first or second jobs - we invest a ton of ... More

"Maintenance Contact Center Representative Role"

I worked at AppFolio full-time

Pros

I loved working in MCC. Everyone, from my co-workers to management, in the department is so positive, and the management really helped me grow from the start to become a strong employee. From there, at my one year, they continued to support me in my growth and in my transition to move up within the company. Management really helped to prepare me for this with mock interviews, critique, and resume / cover letter review, resulting in my successful promotion.

I've really enjoyed my time in this role and I would recommend this company to anyone, and this position to anyone who would like a great entry point to an equally great company.

Cons

I can't think of anything bad to say. My experience at Appfolio has been extremely positive.

Advice to Management

In MCC and in general: Keep doing what your doing! Your support and hard work is what makes MCC such a great department to work for.

9 May 2017 – CMO

This is such a nice review - thank you for taking the time to write it! Hearing about the support from your management team to help you grow and work toward a promotion makes me proud to be part of ... More

"Acknowledge Hard Work and Growth"

Current Employee - Value Added Services Specialist in Goleta, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Value Added Services Specialist in Goleta, CA (US)

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AppFolio has a great sense of community and overall culture! Colleagues are friendly, helpful and want to see you succeed. I've been with the company for a little less than 2 years and have had the opportunity to work on two value added teams. I think AppFolio does a great job of helping you thrive and grow in your career. I like that AppFolio acknowledges hard work verbally and in the form of promotions.

Cons

There is a kitchen full of free snacks and drinks, and although there are healthy options you may find yourself reaching for the chips and "un-healthy" snacks more often.

9 May 2017 – CMO

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on our V+ team. I'm so glad that you've experienced the strong culture and sense of community and that you feel AppFolio has supported you in ... More

5. "Best place to work. Could not have asked for more"

Former Employee - Solutions Engineer in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Solutions Engineer in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at AppFolio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Too many to count. The atmosphere, the people, the leadership team, the pay and of course the T shirts. Everything about this company is amazing. Could not have asked for a better 4 years. One of the best decisions I ever made

Cons

Opportunities for current employees in certain spaces

Advice to Management

Everything is great!! The only thing I would add is more growth opportunities for current employees. Promote more from within to leadership positions

15 May 2017 – CMO

Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review. After 4 years with AppFolio I'm sure you contributed so much to our culture and business - we wish you the very best in your next adventure!

"Wonderful way to start your career in the tech/account manager field"

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- You work with friends, not just co-workers
    - Young, energetic, interesting crowd
    - If you work hard you'll get a raise
    - Recognition for going above and beyond
    - Your managers and your coworkers are invested in your growth
    - Amazing way to start a career in the IT world. You don't have to have a massive resume to get hired. They break the cycle of "how do you get experience if you're only hired by your experience".

Cons

- Not always clear on opportunities for your career trajectory in the company. That said, they were actively working on this when I left.
    - Easy to get burnt out in the customer support side. Management showed concern about this when I left, and I expect they are making changes to better this now.
    - The job itself (customer support) can be taxing when talking to angry customers most of the day. This is where the big pros (listed above) and the great people balance it out well.

Advice to Management

- Continue developing ways to reward and rejuvenate workers. Particular around tax season when it is so busy.
    - Keep hiring more great people so the work load is more evenly distributed.
    - Keep up the great work!! I love Appfolio!
    - Give Colin McCoy a raise and a plaque. He's the backbone of CS Dallas.

8 May 2017 – CMO

Thank you for this thoughtful review - I'm glad to hear that you found that we do recognize our excellent team members. I love your advice that we continue to develop ways to rejuvenate our team ... More

"The Best Place to Work in Santa Barbara"

Current Employee - Marketing Programs Specialist in Santa Barbara, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Programs Specialist in Santa Barbara, CA (US)

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-I can't speak for our peeps in Dallas, but I have never had a better job in a more friendly and welcoming place.
    -People are openly encouraging, and if you are willing to really put yourself out there, you get a lot of support and still really valuable feedback.

Cons

-AppFolio is not for the faint of heart looking for a job that pays the bills. AppFolio asks a lot and gives a lot in return. If you enter into a role in this company with high expectations for yourself, you will succeed.
    -Insurance coverage is pretty good, but not awesome.

Advice to Management

Look for a more comprehensive insurance option, instead of the piecemeal medical/dental/vision we have now.

9 May 2017 – CMO

Thanks for taking the time to write a review - so glad to hear you feel this is a welcoming place that rewards hard work. I especially love your comment 'if you enter into a role with high ... More

8. "Slum lord supporters"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Richardson, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Richardson, TX (US)

I worked at AppFolio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good hours, free company "swag", free booze. (People drink on the job frequently) decent pay. Co workers were awesome. Free snacks.

Cons

At initial on boarding yoi6 get told that the process of getting fired is a verbal warning written warning... Then final warning.. Though with me..my final warning and written warning for some reason was lumped all into one. Then getting told that I look lazy by the way you dress. How is that when the dress attire is casual. You sit at a desk all day and take calls. Hmm
    To have to take calls every day to slium lords that leave their tenants with toilets for weeks on end. No water for days. In the winter, no heat during a blizzard. I mean it seems to me that appfolio is all aboit the money and numbers. Dont you think it gies you a bad name to have property companies that are exhibiting this type of business. Re think apply for a job here. Whether or not its a job that pays. The fact is appfolio supports properties that dont give a cheap anyone other than that money in their pocket.
    Peace & love

Advice to Management

Coachings should be recorded at all times so that nothing can be said that can't be backed up.

23 May 2017 – CMO

Sounds like it wasn't the right match - best of luck in the future.

"Great Company From Top Down!"

Current Employee - Implementation Services in Santa Barbara, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Implementation Services in Santa Barbara, CA (US)

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

We are customer centric. We build great software and genuinely care about the relationships we build with our users.

Executives hold regular company meetings to keep all of us in the know about what we are doing as a company.

Many opportunities to collaborate across departments. This is great for networking, building relationship and professional skills, and gives opportunity to make an impact on a large scale.

Once you have put in the time and effort there is a ton of opportunity. We have a ton of great people. Hard work and commitment are rewarded.

I have been at AppFolio for just over 6 years. My career has grown, my salary has grown, and I have grown (my second job out of college).

I have been treated well by everyone from our CEO, to VP's, directors, and managers. I genuinely feel like I can approach anyone in the company. My opinions and those of my colleagues are valued.

The company looks for feedback from our employees, regularly, and spends a great deal of effort building on the positive and addressing any concerns.

On a personal level, Appfolio leadership has proven to me that they want to see me succeed. The support is tremendous. It speaks volumes that I have received such a great level of support at a growing and successful company.

Cons

AppFolio pays fairly but Santa Barbara is an expensive city to live in (arguably worth it). If you work in the Dallas office the cost of living is a nonfactor.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Transparency, listening and acting on employee feedback, recruiting great talent, and fostering a fun atmosphere is something unique to AppFolio. The majority of my friends who work outside of Appfolio don't report the same experience.

9 May 2017 – CMO

Thank you for sharing your experience -- it is so great to hear from team members like you who have been here for years and experienced support from leadership, career growth and feel heard ... More

"Much love for the Implementation Team! ❤"

Former Employee - Implementation Team in Santa Barbara, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Implementation Team in Santa Barbara, CA (US)

I worked at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really loved the people I worked with everyday. Made it such a friendly work environment and you enjoy going to work each day. They promote good culture, which I really liked. Workload was not overwhelming. It is tough at first, like any new job, but once you learn the basics work life balance is great.

Implementation is such a great department to join. You learn many skills that will help you with any new career choice later in life.

Cons

Implementation leadership and on-boarding need more attention and focus. Leadership has insufficient People Management experience. They make decisions that lead to disadvantageous Manager and Specialist pairings because they don't understand diverse personalities.

Advice to Management

Please train the Implementation leadership on how to manage people. I have had many jobs and have seen what good leadership can do for a team. Talk with the current employees, encourage them to speak their mind with impunity. There were times when our whole team was shocked about leadership's handling of situations with employees, current & former. No one to talk to about these incidents, though. Implementation hires great people, however, when you hire great co-workers that become our friends, it makes it worse when they're mistreated.

Harvard Business Review article that I think would be helpful, titled, "Great Teams Are About Personalities, Not Just Skills" - Posted: 01/2017

9 May 2017 – CMO

Implementation plays such an important role in getting our customers started on the right foot and I'm so glad to hear that you learned skills that will help you in your career.

"Anonymous"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA (US)

I worked at AppFolio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company culture is amazing. Some of the best coworkers who will become life long friends. Everyone is caring, kind, fun to be around. The company does a great job at giving everyone SWAG, monthly events, lots of catered lunches, teams do their own outings, overall the benefits are top notch.

Cons

-The management was rough. They really do not listen to you when you talk to them. It's just about growing the numbers in order to make upper management look good.
    -There is not much room to grow as they pull outside people to management positions allowing you to not build your career.
    - My manager told us multiple times "I do not expect you to stay here. This is not a long term job with growth. This is a position for college graduates and we can find them all over." ... How is that supposed to help you when the Director does not even try to help you build a career.
    - Lots of micromanaging in some departments. Daily meetings as a group and weekly individually. Creates for a belittlement and distrusting environment.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, they're the ones in the forefront hearing it from clients and hearing the inside gossip. They love AppFolio and if managers actually listened to the advice they give, morale, and stocks, could go up! ;)

9 May 2017 – CMO

Glad to hear you found the company culture amazing. We have so many stories of great internal growth, but each one of them has earned it. It can be frustrating to feel that you're not experiencing ... More