Aptify Employee Reviews about "unlimited pto"

Updated Sep 3, 2017

Found 8 of over 111 reviews

3.3
Aptify CEO JP Guilbault (no image)
JP Guilbault
Pros
  • "Easy to maintain a work-life balance(in 10 reviews)

• "Nice people, good benefits like unlimited PTO and good 401K matching(in 8 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Everything is cons, salary, work life balance , politics(in 7 reviews)

• "Can be occasional long hours as can happen with smaller company where people wear many hats (a pro for those who like to wear many hats)(in 6 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Reviews about "unlimited pto"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

A Paragon of Entrepreneurial Spirit

Sep 3, 2017 - Product & Support Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

• Depending on your department, there is an abundance of challenging work. I am frequently tasked with solving extraordinarily difficult problems which almost always have something new to teach me despite being a software developer who isn't shy about the fact I have "seen and done it all" • Depending on your location: flexible work accommodations, unlimited PTO, generous 401K contribution, competitive health benefits, free food, soda and coffee • Relatively modern computing hardware, server and network infrastructure, development and productivity tools, and three exceptional teams of support staff • Embraces individuality which is evident in the expressive and creative personalities each team member displays

Cons

• The motto "Adapt Once, Adapt Often" may be sometimes taken to an extreme which can be overwhelming to some • Global Huddles were an interesting and exciting idea that have been executed pretty flawlessly, but I think it should have been all-or-nothing in terms of the frequency.

7 people found this review helpful
    2. 2.0
      Former Employee

Poorly run company

Apr 9, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nice people, good benefits like unlimited PTO and good 401K matching.

Cons

Hypocritical management. Male-chauvinistic place. Long hours.

4 people found this review helpful

Director, Culture and People

I am glad to hear positive reviews regarding the people and benefits here at Aptify. We consistently hear that the team is the best part of working at Aptify! While there are projects that may require long hours, we hope our liberal leave and work from home policies help our team members achieve balance. I am disappointed to hear that you feel the actions of management are hypocritical and/or chauvinistic. Without more details it is difficult to address your specific concerns, but as the Director of Culture & People, it is my goal to promote a working environment that is a fair, comfortable and engaging place to be for all of our team members. I encourage you to please contact me directly at Julia.lang@aptify.com to address these concerns in more detail.

3. The latest conversations about Tech India

Join the conversation on

Tech India

6.1K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/tech-india/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.co.in&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-integrated-Reviews&utm_term=Aptify~15699
      Join the conversation on
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

#RocktheRed

Mar 19, 2016 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Aptify is an awesome place to work! Over the past few years and especially over the last year, my career has grown tremendously. Aptify offers career development and growth opportunities, unlimited PTO, a relaxed and flexible work environment, and a Culture and People team who goes out of their way to support the team. And the coolest thing we implemented this year was a #RocktheRed campaign where Aptify bought us all a pair of red shoes.

Cons

The work is hard and there is a lot of it.

CEO

Thank you for posting your feedback! I am thrilled to hear that you are having a great experience at Aptify and really embracing our #RocktheRed initiative by wearing your new red shoes! From your review and other feedback received from the team and clients, this is certainly one of our most successful initiatives. I can certainly attest to the fact that the work is often very challenging here, and there is no shortage, which is a good thing! I also hope that you are finding it rewarding, and you are taking the time to power-down as needed to recharge. Please always talk to your team leader, our Director of Culture & People (Julia.lang@aptify.com), or reach out to me directly if you need tools or other resources to manage the work load. I can be reached at 202-368-0533 or amith.nagarajan@aptify.com. Thank you again for your review!

5. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work

Jan 4, 2016 - Marketing in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people who work at Aptify are what make it so great. When you respect and get along with your coworkers, you find it much easier to get your work done and wanting to excel. For the most part, everyone is super nice and always willing to help each other out. The benefits are great, too! Aptify offers an unlimited PTO plan, ability to work remote when desired, 401K match, casual dress code, awesome maternity leave policy, and much more. Thanks to the HR team for listening to the needs of the employees!

Cons

Although Aptify does offer opportunity for advancement with a job well done, the pay is lower than many jobs in similar fields at different companies. However, they are transparent as to how pay is calculated (they use a software called Payscale which considers a number of different factors), but pay was still much less than regional averages for similar positions.

1 person found this review helpful

CEO

Thanks for taking the time to share this review, it is much appreciated. Your feedback on compensation is very important to us. We utilize a number of different 3rd party data sources to try to benchmark our compensation (including salary, benefits, and other compensation forms). We do this in an effort to ensure that our compensation ranges for each position are fair and aligned with the market where each position is based. We certainly are not aiming to always be the highest paying company, there will always be another company willing to pay more, what we want is to make sure that there is no material difference and that our team members are well taken care of so that we can focus on personal and professional growth over the long run. In your case, clearly we failed to do this, and we appreciate you sharing this feedback. We aim to get better at this every year, and I think we are making solid progress, but we can always improve further. If you think of any feedback beyond the above that you'd like to provide directly to me, please give me a call 202-368-0533 (cell) or email me at amith.nagarajan@aptify.com. Thanks again and best of luck in your new position!

6. 5.0
      Former Employee

IT Engineer

Dec 22, 2015 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work/life balance. CEO has clear vision for company and employee growth. Unlimited PTO. Matched 401k

Cons

Depts felt a little disconnected but overall great people to work with.

CEO

Thank you for the review and 5 star rating. I agree that we can continue to improve on ways to have team members collaborate more fluidly across departments and we have some great ideas in motion on this. Thanks again for taking the time to post this review, and best wishes to you in the next steps in your career wherever they may take you.

7. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work, albeit with growing pains

Jun 22, 2015 - Business Analyst in New Orleans, LA
      Business Outlook

Pros

-The people who work here are fantastic. I have not met a coworker that I didn't get along with, people are here to work hard and help each other out. -Starting compensation and benefits are very good. Unlimited PTO is nice, 401k and health care benefits are very good. -The work and clients are generally interesting people. There are times when it's a bit of a slog, but that's any major project. -Aptify is maturing rapidly, there are issues (described below) but they are getting worked on, if slowly at times. -Management is generally VERY open to ideas- this could a process improvement in how we work, new offerings/solutions to our client, feedback on products/services. Of course, not everything we say will get done, but you at least know it was considered.

Cons

-There's a lot of lack of structure and process. It's being addressed, but slowly. To me, Aptify is going from a mid-sized company to a large-sized company and a lot of the processes that worked 2 years ago do not work anymore and sometimes management is slow to realize that. The lack of structure/process causes a lot of mental strain on the consulting team, it's constantly a battle to know everything you're supposed to be doing, when it's due, what the priority is, to the point that some weekends I think about what I might've forgotten to do, or what is coming up this week. -Work/life balance can be rough. The company is getting better about this, because burnout doesn't help the employee or Aptify in the long run, but it's still there right now. -Starting compensation is good, but after words it doesn't seem to recognize the growth and contributions you've made. Compensation in DC and Chicago sometimes doesn't outpace cost of living, although recently that issue is popping up in New Orleans.

1 person found this review helpful

CEO

Thank you for the very thoughtful review. My favorite one of your Pros is the comment about the team! You've provided some excellent input for improvement. I've provided some thoughts in response to the last couple of reviews (by posting date) regarding the work hours/work-life balance topic, and agree we have work to do there. Let me provide some input on the other topics you've noted above: * Process - agreed - there is no need to have mutiple ways to do the exact same thing - that leads to inefficiency. That being said, we also want to continue to encourage everyone to "find a better way" every day and then share it. The Q3-2015 theme we are about to launch is in fact all about this - how do you make a "2 Second Lean" to improve a process and eliminate waste or create better results. The key is what you are saying, then incorporating that improvement into the STANDARD process and making sure that it will done The one area of your advice that I would say I agree with, but only in part, is that management should enforce these processes more aggresively. I do agree with the idea that the processes should be very consistent. I would prefer, however, that our culture be the enforcement vehicle, with people at all levels of the organization holding one another accountable for process execution consistency. That said, I totally agree that senior level leadership needs to push this harder and in fact the coming quarterly theme is very much focused on this topic. You can't have improvements to processes if you don't execute them consistently. * On compensation - I would encourage you to directly share your thoughts with your team lead and the Culture + People team (and with me, if you'd like, very happy to chat). Our goal is to have competitive compensation everywhere, at all levels. We use many tools to calibrate pay scales and ranges for each position, and at the same time, these attempts are imperfect. This is one of the topics that is a balance of science and art in a way, because each person is unique and their contributions therefore are deserving of individual assessment when it comes to annual compensation adjustment, participation in AIP (Aptify's global incentive plan where we distribute some of our profit to our team members), and other ways. Your point about starting comp being good but later years being harder is noted and I think is a data point we should study in more depth. I know that at times when people go through promotions, the comp structure curve is "renewed" in the sense that they are lower in the "band" for their new position than they were in their prior position. I appreciate you providing this review and the detailed feedback within it. Thanks again. -Amith

8. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Serious About Culture & People

Jun 21, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The past 4 years the company has taken a huge step forward in realizing the importance of committing significant resources and attention to assisting staff to be the best all round people they can be. There is a painted picture which creates a vision for the company over the next three years; The product is positioned to take advantage of the cloud and mobile; Reorganized leadership has autonomy to make changes; Focus on hiring people for talent and organizational fit; Task force put in place to assess how to improve employee retention and highly valued by sr mgmnt Well defined core purpose - why Aptify exists and it isn't about making money; it's about serving the community in a way to make a difference and to change the world, client by client Given staff the authority to make decisions without layers and layers of oversight and approval Great talent and staff are committed to helping one another - silo's are giving way to more collaboration Rockefeller Habits methodology to achieve organizational alignment 'Unlimited' PTO (ie within reason) Ability to work remotely

Cons

Demanding place to work - people work hard by choice, but still put in the hours Health Insurance not so great Would like to see the company more engaged in community outreach programs

CEO

Yes! I LOVE the title of your review - in any company in any location in any industry, the ONLY true competitive differentiator that is durable over time is the People + Culture. We've got a long ways to go in becoming a truly world-class global culture, but we've also made great strides, many of which you've highlighted in your review. I agree that our hard work culture is partly ingrained in our team being aligned around our purpose, but I think we can get better at planning, anticipating and executing projects. We can also think about ways to use new tools and resources to deal with a common challenge of project cycles where go-lives (and other interim milestones) are hugely draining on a large # of team members. The other key is #recovery time - making sure you use enough of that Unlimited PTO that you mention, particularly after a really hard period of time in getting a project done. We need to get better as leaders in encouraging team members to get out of the office more to recover, I know we already do this, but I think that some of the hardest working people here are the ones that are the hardest to convince they need time off (or, not that they need it, but that it's ok to take it). That is one major factor in burnout that we can and should work harder to fix. The whole senior management team discussed this at a recent planning workshop and the input from the global task force that worked on the Retention X project that is now starting to be implemented had great ideas too. On Health Insurance, if you've not already done so, I would encourage you to provide input to the Culture + People team on areas you think should be improved. This is a real challenge - balancing a reasonable cost (for the company and each team member) with the best benefits package, and an area we want to improve in each year. Thanks again for the input and please do keep it coming! -Amith

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

I have been working at Aptify full-time

Jun 15, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company has undergone a cultural change in recent years, promoting individual empowerment and work/life balance. Employees have flexible schedules and unlimited PTO, and each person is held accountable to make sure work gets done. Employees get along with one another with very little drama. There's a very strong sense of team and purpose.

Cons

Rapid growth and the urge to act fast sometimes gets in the way of timely communication.

CEO

Thanks for taking the time to write this review! It is exciting to hear that the culture is felt strongly. I agree with your comment about finding ways to continue to drive autonomy, authority and decision making to the team. I am constantly looking for ways to drive this in the culture. One suggestion - if you ever feel like there is something that you SHOULD have the ability to decide on your own, but you are not able to, raise it as an issue, and submit as anonymous (or not) feedback. The more input the leadership team can get on areas we can improve, the better we can do. I can tell you that there is a huge desire to increase autonomy further. We believe that the core values are strong and getting stronger and that with a culture rooted in values, you can do away with a huge amount of the bureaucracy that otherwise can plague even a mid-sized company like ours. Thanks again for sharing and please do keep the input flowing!

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 English Reviews