Audi of America Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jan 12, 2020

Found 9 of over 71 reviews

3.6
Audi of America Interim President and COO  Cian OBrien (no image)
Cian OBrien
Pros
  • "Great Product, Great People (mostly) & Good Benefits(in 7 reviews)

• "Great product, good money, some great co-workers(in 5 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work life balance doesn't exist for some departments(in 6 reviews)

• "Professional Development feels more like a robotic filling out of a forms for succession planning vs genuine skill improvement(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Toxic Environment / Decline in leadership

Jan 12, 2020 - General Manager/Director in Herndon, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working on a luxury automotive brand Driving a variety of Audi and competitive vehicles (company car for level 10 and above) Office is well appointed and maintained When I started there was a feeling that we were building something Over a 10 year period, Audi has performed, but has sputtered as of late Professional environment, but this has it's negatives also (see below) 401K is good - 100% match up to 9% Healthcare wasn't as good as it used to be, but is competitive

Cons

In an attempt to be "professional" the Audi work environment has become toxic. There is pressure to look a certain way, whether that be physically fit or wearing a hip tailored suit. The VW people call the Audi floor "the fashion show". It's even known within VW HR. At first glance, this could be taken as humorous, but it's deeper than that. It has become image over substance. Gossip is pretty rampant. It can be very mean spirited and ranges from cutting down someone's appearance, making fun of their personal social media account, or criticizing work---even if that work is excellent. VPs are even ridiculed behind their backs. What's disturbing is some of this gossip finds its way to the VP level and shapes their impressions of individuals and teams. The current crop of senior management----with a few exceptions----are yes men. They are relentlessly driving the organization to hit certain numbers without any regard for the external competitive situation or the market. Work life balance doesn't exist for some departments. Professional Development feels more like a robotic filling out of a forms for succession planning vs genuine skill improvement. Morale is low. There was leadership stability for years, but since October 2018 there have been 3 Presidents of Audi of America. One lasted just 6 months. I think the road will continue to be rocky. HR department. Don't be fooled they are there to protect the company, not help you. Lots of turnover in HR as well. Maybe they saw too much? Add in that salary is just average and you really need to love cars to want to work for this organization. My advice: work somewhere else and make more money. Buy your own luxury car.

9 people found this review helpful
    2. 1.0
      Former Employee

Not worth your time there

Dec 11, 2019 - Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work life balance ok.

Cons

No diversity. They only trust Germans or who speaks German. Not friendly for American workers.

7 people found this review helpful
    3. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Okay for a first job

May 1, 2018 - Digital and Social Media Advocate
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great people to work with - I loved all my coworkers and made a lot of amazing friends. They made working there worth it and are probably the biggest reason I give more than 1 star. - Experience looks good on a resume - Nice office - Got to take an Audi home once a month - Pay was okay for a position right out of college - Work stops when you leave the office. If you get a good enough schedule the work/life balance is good

Cons

- Hours are terrible. Schedule changes every quarter and you could be stuck working late nights, weekends, and holidays frequently - I felt like I was being babysat half of the time. If you show up 3 minutes late you'll never hear the end of it - Parking is limited, you'll have to park at a different building and be shuttled in. make sure you get there at least half an hour early or the shuttle will get you there late. - High turnover rate. Many people don't make it past a year - Say they promote from within but hired externally for the positions people were excited for

1 person found this review helpful
    4. 4.0
      Former Contractor, more than 1 year

Bad Managers ruin the overall culture and growth of Audi

Oct 24, 2017 - Contractor - Training and Development (Formerly Audi Academy) in Herndon, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The culture is inspiring and innovative! You really feel like you can accomplish anything with Scott Keogh at the helm. The ability to learn about the cars and perks like Audi swag, professional development books, fresh fruit weekly, Oktoberfest, puppies, free food, and special events where staff get to drive the cars are all nice-to-haves. As a contractor you are paid weekly which is a plus. The week off between Christmas and New Years and Summer Friday Hours also help to provide much needed work-life balance. The work is fun, creatively challenging, and interesting when your given the ability to do it.

Cons

Bad managers can ruin good employees careers! There is a lot of micromanagement and “everything is a fire” mentality when in fact the situation really warrants proper project/time management. As a contractor you are only given 10 PTO days a year which can make it hard if you get sick or have a family. The cost of benefits are also a bit higher as a contractor. The 401k option of 3% match is a joke. Contractors don’t have the option to utilize company cars which is kind of unfair when mostly everyone their is FTE (full time employee) and have company cars. The lack of professional development and limitation of growth in certain roles.

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

HQ employee with ~5 years of service

Sep 20, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Colleagues are smart, passionate and driven. Access to vehicles is an incredible perk. The success of the brand in the U.S. continues despite market challenges.

Cons

Maintaining work/life balance can be difficult at times. Workplace can feel "traditional" and at odds with our entrepreneurial spirit and progressive products.

Audi of America Response

Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for your insight. Having a flexible and positive work environment is very important to us.

6. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Audi Review

Jun 25, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Focused on reaching and exceeding company goals

Cons

Work/life balance isn't that good. Its hard to move up within the organization.

2 people found this review helpful

Audi of America Response

Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback. This information is very important to us. We want to ensure that we are providing an environment where employees are able to balance their life and their work. We are continuing to explore and implement programs that support this.

7. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Audi Customer Experience

Aug 16, 2016 - Region Case Expert in Auburn Hills, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

I work with a team of wonderful people from the Advocates to the Management team. I find the work I do to be fulfilling, and challenging. While we aren't saving the world, we are helping people to find resolutions, and closure on requests. As an advocate, you have opportunity to learn about the company and find a path that suits your skill set. There are opportunities to grow, you need only be open to putting in the work to grow. In my career with Audi, I have progressed consistently by hard work, effort, and being a team player. I will continue to put in the work needed to foster growth in my own career.

Cons

In my present position, there are few opportunities for me to go further. Work experience is less important than having a degree. My work life balance has suffered while I have progressed through the ranks. While I have been give consistent raises, my scope of work has bloomed. No bonuses to mention - $60 per quarter isn't much to be excited about.

1 person found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

General Manager

Jun 26, 2016 - General Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company to work for. While the work load is demanding, the positive feedback, compensation and benefits are well above average. Outstanding leadership in both the corporate and regional levels.

Cons

Work life balance, at times, can get stressed. While people take vacation, with iPhones and such, you don't really get to unplug.

9. 3.0
      Current Employee

Not bad

Jun 22, 2016 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work is challenging and interesting, co-workers are great, excellent benefits (vehicle lease, health, bonuses, decent 401k), train employees for the long term

Cons

Very old-fashioned with work-life balance. They don't encourage work from home or alternative schedules. There are a lot of shifts, which seems odd in a corporate environment. The amount of vacation offered here is also quite low. You need to work there for 5 years before you get 15 days.

4 people found this review helpful