Audley Travel Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

4.1
Audley Travel Chief Executive Nick Longman
Nick Longman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "excellent fam trips - much more focused recently" (in 30 reviews)

• "Free fruit and subsidised tuck shop" (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours and a lot of pressure to perform" (in 20 reviews)

• "Like some others have mentioned, the demand of a sale jobs can sometimes bring work-life balance into question" (in 7 reviews)

1. "Standards are slipping"

Current Employee - Country Specialist in Witney, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Country Specialist in Witney, England (UK)

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great offices
    Nice atmosphere and environment
    Good INITIAL fam trip
    Supportive managers
    Like minded and friendly colleagues

Cons

Far too much inconsistency in the way that different country specialists are treated. Some get away with murder so to speak, while others are micromanaged over the tiniest things. A lot of this comes from the blatant favouritism from managers.
    The pressure on newbies nowadays is immense. No wonder we can’t retain new staff for more than a year or so.
    IT systems and infrastructure are a shambles. They’re dated and it feels as if they’re on the brink of collapse.
    “You’ll get a fam every 12-18 months” is a lie, so stop saying it.
    Base salary is too low. Commission is questionable and varies too much between departments. Again, inconsistency.

Advice to Management

Deal with the inconsistency between departments
    Sort the IT issues once and for all

"Pressure"

Former Employee - Senior Specialist in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Specialist in London, England (UK)

I worked at Audley Travel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great, like minded colleagues of a similar age and interests
    lovely, welcoming, modern offices
    excellent socials
    excellent fam trips - much more focused recently
    a genuine ambition to be the best, customer focused and really caring about customer experience
    autonomy to make your own mini business succcessful

Cons

pressure is too high, particularly for new starters who've not been in a job like this before. Similarly, there are nonsensical systems applied to those who've been there years and years - putting a person who's been at the company for more than 5 years on a performance review for missing two months (despite external factors)?
    for a company who 'want the best employees', and by their own admission, struggle to find the right people, there is no attempt to retain longer serving members of staff, despite saying they want to stay
    favouritism of certain staff members. managers have their favourites, and often lose sight of the issues around the ones they aren't as keen on.
    career progression is too complicated, and some employees feel that once they've hurdled one obstacle to promotion, another will be unexpectedly put in the way
    ironically, an inflexible approach to flexible working

Advice to Management

There is nothing wrong with wanting to achieve excellence and demanding this from your employees. In order to make this realistic though, you need to remunerate accordingly.
    continue to listen to staff and improve working practices.
    focus on retaining staff more than recruiting new ones. surely it's more cost effective to invest in retaining your staff than it is to continually have to replace the departing ones?

"Like being back at boarding school"

Current Employee - Senior Country Specialist in Witney, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Country Specialist in Witney, England (UK)

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful, well appointed offices
    One month fam trip at the start of your job
    Good parties and social engagement
    charitable causes and awareness raising
    good career opportunities for some

Cons

Cliquey, incestuous and toxic environment
    unprofessional management within teams
    clear favouritism amongst teams and individuals
    pretends to be a small company that is so target driven it fails its' newcomers
    ridiculously high staff turnover
    unrealistic expectation of new starters
    lack of support for new starters - focuses on negative rather than positively reinforcing
    unclear commission structure that does not pay well

Advice to Management

Stop allowing cliquey gossip and blatant sleeping around within teams to get in the way of work. Bullying of people in relationships, who cares? Improve your favouritism tendencies, some people get away with missing targets consistently but others get pushed out straight away when not meeting targets. We have too many new starters who are new to the industry that get pushed out after 6 months as they haven't met targets - sorry but for some it takes longer than 6 months to become consistent, and the pushy, pressurised probation period does not help them. In order to combat the stupidly high staff turnover, perhaps recognise that not every new starter will hit their targets right away and keep helping. It's not nice to be around sad, stressed new starters who don't know if they will have a job next month.

"Started great, things are now massively slipping"

Former Employee - Country Specialist in London, England (UK)

I worked at Audley Travel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The staff - they make the job, open-minded friendly people
    25 days Annual Leave
    Travelling perks with the job
    Not recently but 1-2 years ago, there were huge positive changes to maternity cover, annual leave etc. last 6-9 months not many great changes have come in - its gone a little stale

Cons

Absolute favoritism in terms of who gets the best enquiries, same people consistently recognized while others are pushed to the wayside. There is definitely not the some opportunities for all - those at the top get preferential treatment, those midway will stay stagnant, those struggling with the hard targets will be managed out.
    A company where the rules apply to some but certainly not to all
    Felt a bit like being in school - we won't pay you great but here's some free smoothies.. I think over time our generation is tired of empty perks and instead want actual career progression and salary growth.
    The terms and conditions of the contract - although it seems to only apply for some unlucky few, be sure to read every word of the contract as where they please, they will come down heavy on one or two unfortunates, in terms of repayment of work trips.

Advice to Management

Motivate the teams more, be more accountable
    A lot of behind the scenes movement - not very transparent or forthcoming when staff are struggling or considering resigning
    Differential treatment shown to employees is very noticeable to all and is only continuing to marginalize those that are not at the very top and creates for a very non-motivational atmosphere.
    Staff that feel worthy, will do much more than is expected, staff that feel under-appreciated and under-paid, will eventually vote with their feet.

5. "A very welcoming and forward thinking company"

Current Employee - Senior Travel Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Travel Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I feel like I am well looked after and feel proud to work for Audley

Cons

Can be stressful during busy periods

6. "Country specialist"

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time

Pros

Decent environment with young people

Cons

Hard work and wouldn’t reccomend if you hate micro management

"Very different depending on department"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very competitive salary in the industry
    Great fam trips
    Genuinely good people to work with, not a salesy, call centre culture
    Genuinely interesting work

Cons

Every department is different, every team has its differences and every country specialist has their different challenges. That is what it means to specialise. DESPITE ALL OF THAT all the targets across sales are the same and everyone is judged according to the same measurements. IT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE!

I take massive issue with commission structure and targets being level across the business when, depending on the combination of countries you sell, your workload could be three times that of your colleague in the seat next to you. This also applies to low season versus high season.

This also applies to exceptional circumstances like having 3 leavers in your country specialism all at once and still being expected to make the same targets whilst dealing with so much more work.

Finally, balancing sales with service was always a juggling act at best but due to the fact we are owned by private equity, the business has to grow. This means more volume of sales. This is always at the detriment to service. We are no longer an owner-run small business yet we are still being stretched incredibly thin to provide the same service to ever more numbers of clients. That makes no sense either. Also this affects product - if there is a glaring mistake or an issue that needs sorting, this is usually so far down the priority line that clients complain again and again about the same things.

Advice to Management

Please read cons. Those who specialise in large areas, or have many countries, or who have been here a long time, really worry about the service quality we are giving to our clients when the teams are growing, growing, growing and we're supposed to be making 20% increase in sales from year to year. Let's just decide to be a big company and stop pretending we're not? Or the other way round? We need to prioritize product more than we do to be specialist as well. It's not all about bookings! Most of us really care about the quality of our work, and safeguarding the profit made on each booking; not about making 20 bookings per month and drowning under the admin.

Audley Travel Response

30 Oct 2018 – Group HR Director

Thanks for your review and I’m pleased that you enjoy working for Audley, especially the people and familiarisation trips.

I understand and empathise with your comments regarding pay, commission... More

8. "Good company but not busy enough"

Former Employee - Tailor Made Specialist in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Tailor Made Specialist in London, England (UK)

I worked at Audley Travel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good company ethos, great colleagues to work with and relaxed working environment

Cons

Simply not enough work to do

9. "Rewarding place to work"

I have been working at Audley Travel full-time

Pros

Employ great people, good general atmosphere and a lovely office situated in Witney. They also have a lot of socials.

Cons

Workload is known to get too busy in peak seasons, for both managers and . employers

10. "Fun but high pressure"

Former Employee - Country Specialist in London, England (UK)

I worked at Audley Travel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Like minded colleagues
    Fun atmosphere
    Fam trips

Cons

High pressure for targets
    Stress level