Austin Fraser Employee Reviews about "stay late"

Updated Apr 5, 2019

Found 3 of over 134 reviews

4.4
Austin Fraser CEO  Peter Hart
Peter Hart
Pros
  • "Austin Fraser has some of the best training in the industry(in 19 reviews)

• "work hard play(in 13 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Yup, welcome to 2019 at Austin Fraser(in 8 reviews)

• "People stay late and arrive early to avoid being called out as(in 3 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Reviews about "stay late"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Please do not work here! EVER! LIES, DECEIT, BULLYING, BOYS CLUB, STAY AWAY!

Apr 5, 2019 - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Reading, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pros? You’re joking right? These are very few and far between! I literally cannot think of any! -The coffee machine.......maybe?

Cons

Where does one start? The place needs a complete overhaul! Stop living in the 90s, recruitment, sales etc has changed! Please allow your staff an open forum to share honest feedback without the fear of being sacked! They lie about their retention rate. They have people live on a monthly if not daily basis. BEWARE! This job is nothing like you think it will be! I worked here for years and I can honestly say - I do not know how! It’s a horrible place to work! Please do not be fooled by the whole ‘hey come and work for us, we’ve got a nice office, we’ve got pool tables, table tennis, mini golf’ it looks good but it’s far from the truth! It’s all BS and you will be told of like a naughty school child should you go within 1 meter of any of it. Old school - or should I say old skool - KPIs, call times, not being allowed to go home until you’ve done a certain amount of call times! Ridiculous! Lies lies lies...... yup you’ve guessed it more lies! Come work for us they said... it’ll be great they said! Start at 9am and be told off when you arrive at 8am! Finish at 6 and be told off AGAIN! when you try to leave before 7pm. Haven’t done your job ‘properly by Tuesday... no problem! Stay late on a Wednesday (later than 7pm) to do a ‘late night call out’ - pointless task... let people see their friends and family! Bullying! Yup, welcome to 2019 at Austin Fraser! There is a serious amount of this happening... don’t worry though - I’m sure I’ll get a response from the CEO telling me that it’s just company culture! He’ll probably reply telling me I’ve got it all wrong. Why do people leave every month without fail. Consistent leavers. Don’t deny it. Remember why people leave companies? The people and their boss!! Hmmmm Promotions? They actually exist but don’t expect to be promoted unless you are in the boys club, like playing golf! The whole place has an awful culture! Terrible! Leadership is very deceitful, conniving, scheming, hypocritical and double dealing! HR - haven’t a clue! Unprofessional and conniving. HR will give preference to who they like and get a long with. If you’re female - you’re already wasting your time. You’re be heavily surrounded by males who are trying to sleep with you! Especially on lunch clubs, incentives.... included the married ones! -let’s just say you really hate someone or that you have someone who is your worst enemy! Or you just want them to experience pure hell! Please send them to work for Austin Fraser!”

13 people found this review helpful

Austin Fraser Response

I appreciate all the feedback we receive, it's the only way we can continue to learn and grow and is exactly why we have a profile page on Glassdoor. There is always room for improvement, but I feel the feedback you’ve given is not wholly justified. The reference to the 90's is a little confusing. Austin Fraser was established in 2007, and although I understand the sentiment, we have never been a purely numbers based business. Del and I started Austin Fraser to create a place where people could achieve all of their personal and professional goals. It's fair to say we have and do maintain high standards in sales but we care as much if not more about each person who works at AF. We provide a number of opportunities to gain feedback from all of our staff. For the last 8 years we have participated (and been in the Sunday Times Top 100) in the best companies list published in the Sunday Times. We have a monthly "Your Say" survey, which gives all staff the opportunity to have their say about what it's like to work at AF. We take this feedback seriously and take the time to take on board areas of improvement and actively make changes and communicate via our all hands session every quarter. Both methods of feedback are completely anonymous. We care about people having their say without the need to know who said what. We recently posted in a linkedin post about our retention rates bucking the trend across the industry. It's something we pride ourselves on. You commented that you didn't believe these to be correct. Our last 12 months retention rates were calculated by the Sunday Times and independently checked. Making sure any new employee understands what the role they are coming into to is vital to our ongoing success. We want our new hires to come in with clear expectations in their role. Our retention rate for new starters over the past 12 months is 88.5%, which suggests this is not an area for concern, but of course we will continue to strive to improve this. With reference to being treated like a child (KPI's and hours), I think it is fair to say that in the past we could have done a much better job. I do not agree that it was ever as you described but I do believe there has certainly been a lack of consistency. We have worked hard to overcome this and I think we are in a really good place. Through our engagement programme, we have rolled out flexibility across all our offices, including relaxed hours, lunch when you’re hungry, work where you are most productive etc. We’ve introduced the ability to use remote days across many departments, and agile working (laptops and mobile telephony for all staff). We will be continuing to push the boundaries not just in the way we work, but also how we empower all of our people to be as effective, trusted and productive as possible. We take promotions very seriously, and I do not agree that promotions are based on who you are, Instead they're based on achieving agreed objectives and demonstrating our values and behaviours. A suggestion that gender plays any part in the decision to promote someone at Austin Fraser is completely false. There are countless examples of men and women being promoted here and long may that continue. Across our Exec, senior leadership and leadership teams we have many female leaders in key positions, and have always recruited and promoted everyone in the same way. The comment around if you're female, men at Austin Fraser will try and sleep with you is completely untrue. There have been no instances of this behaviour raised directly or indirectly to either our HR team or our SLT. I am sorry your experience at AF was a poor one. It's never a good feeling to know someone is disappointed in working at Austin Fraser. I would say that your experience is not consistent with the reviews we've had globally from either past or current employees. All the best Pete - CEO

2. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Really not what it claims to be on the tin!

Aug 17, 2018 - Recruitment Consultant in Reading, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- On the whole, people were really easy going and good to get along with. - Clearly some passionate individuals there - L&D team really try their hardest to offer what I think is industry leading training for all levels of consultants. - CEO/director team are really approachable - Free drinks, fruit, good vending machine - Top spec office @ Thames Tower. - They are TRYING to improve..

Cons

- INSANE levels of micro-management. Expect Monday morning team meetings (usually at 8am), daily catchups that last an hour and a monthly director review. There’s never any time to actually get work done! - Bums on seats culture. People stay late and arrive early to avoid being called out as ‘non committal’. Those who actually want to leave at 6pm are shunned and questioned. - Very clique driven atmosphere at times - Overall company marketing strategy is dreadful. No one knows who they are! - They actually have a leaderboard with dials and call times around the office. Yep! In 2018! - Lack of commutation between teams, and even counterparts. - Incentive targets are highly personalised. Some people were never in with a chance of succeeding, whilst some were obviously going to find it easy to do - Fair amount of bad-eggs (as you get anywhere, though) - Fixed 1 hour lunch time of 1-2pm for everyone. Result is a chaotic lunch cover system, ever changing as people leave.

6 people found this review helpful

Austin Fraser Response

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience of working at Austin Fraser. I’d like to pick up on your feedback and share my view with you too. Firstly the pros - developing people is the most important responsibility we have at Austin Fraser. It’s why we set up shop in the first place. I am really pleased that you see the value in our talented L&D team, they work so hard to make sure when you join you get everything you need but also look after the development of our sales, central services and leadership development too. It's so important that people feel challenged and developed at all levels. Everyone has more to learn, including me. Now for the cons - We certainly aren't about creating a 'bums on seats' culture, we want people who live by our values and behaviours and we take our hiring decisions seriously, if people choose to join AF then we want them to stay and progress within our business. With any rapidly expanding business where growth in teams is essential we will make mistakes and I agree in some teams we’ve had more turnover than in previous years. Our managers don’t feel great about that, neither do I but we are in the process of upskilling all hiring managers to give them the skills to add the right people to their high performing teams. I have no doubt all our Leaders are committed to getting the best out of their teams again we have a variety of managers with different management styles but I will personally explore your observation of micro management as I agree this isn't conducive to a happy and productive sales culture. We develop our leaders to provide information and tell when someone needs help and coach and support when they know what’s what. I could suggest that your manager had a different view to you on where your skills lay or just misjudged the situation. Regarding some of the other points you have raised, we are already working on these. For example, we have recently introduced a Flexible Working Policy across all of our offices and are encouraging a cultural shift across the business. That can take time but we know happy people are successful so we’re doing all we can to make AF continue to be a great place to work. We are aware that a fixed lunch break can have its challenges but we also know being a recruiter can be full on and giving you a dedicated hour makes sure that you leave your desk catch up with friends and take a well earned break. I’m open to talking to our Reading teams about this and seeing if there is a better way to run lunch covers. Finally our incentives are designed for everyone, including our central teams. Our targets change as an individual becomes more senior. We had 47 consultants hit our Christmas incentive to Barbados and 41 hit Vegas in May so I am very comfortable that our approach to incentives is more than fair. Thank you once again for your honest feedback, I am sorry that Austin Fraser was not the right business for you and I wish you all the best for the future. Peter CEO

3. 5.0
      Current Employee

Awesome Company, Great Benefits

Aug 11, 2015 - Recruitment Consultant in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working at Austin Fraser has been an awesome experience, and I'd definitely recommend it to any of my friends that are looking for a challenging, yet rewarding, career. AF provides a great training program, so you are able to hit the ground running and do deals faster than I would have thought possible. Commission is uncapped, and you have the potential to earn some REAL money. The company is social, with in-office happy hours, incentive rewards like Lunch Club and trips, and a great, casual atmosphere (plus sweet offices downtown). As AF is based in the UK, we get a ton of paid days off (somewhere around 33 total). Unlike places I've worked in the past, you're absolutely expected to use your time off, and the management is great to pitch in and help out while you're away.

Cons

There can be some long hours. No one will force you to stay late, but if you're serious about doing deals and earning commission, it's sometimes necessary. Also, AF isn't a dog-friendly workplace like a lot of other similar-size companies in town.

2 people found this review helpful

Marketing Executive

Thanks for taking the time to give us a review! We're so happy that you're enjoying working for AF and we're extremely proud of our team in Austin! As you say, having a great work/life balance is vital if you're to succeed at Austin Fraser. After all, a happy team is a successful team — That's basic psychology. Have a great day!

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 English Reviews