Auto Trader UK Reviews

Found 349 of over 356 reviews

4.4
Auto Trader UK Chief Executive Officer Nathan Coe
Nathan Coe
Pros
  • "Flexible working environment, understanding of any personal issues(in 36 reviews)

• "Great people , supportive work environment(in 26 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Very fast-paced but I find this exciting(in 28 reviews)

• "Finding a coffee mug in the Manchester office past 11am can be difficult :)(in 13 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year
      Featured Review

A great place to work

Jan 26, 2021 - Graduate Business Analyst in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

After joining Auto Trader on the graduate schemes last year, and despite starting remotely, I am really enjoying my time so far. Some highlights below: - A large and supportive team of learning + development staff who deliver fantastic workshops and do a brilliant job - A genuine commitment to diversity and inclusion - Fantastic array of opportunities to grow outside of the day-to-day role - Everyone, irrespective of seniority, is approachable and friendly - It is an exciting and fast paced environment to work in - Great benefits and perks, such as a generous annual leave allowance and competitive salary - Leadership are transparent and have been quick to update us during the pandemic (I’ve known that shortly after a government announcement, an update will follow from the OLT within a matter of hours) - Support for working from home e.g. high spec monitor, desk chair etc. - An immensely knowledgable, industry-leading base of employees who always make time to share their support and mentor And many more pros...I look forward to building my career at Auto Trader.

Cons

- It can be hard to pin people down, especially remotely, given the amount of meetings / how busy everyone is. - Starting remotely has been difficult (no fault of Auto Trader of course). It can be slow to get started in role as a result of not being physically in the office and around the team

6 people found this review helpful

Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. You were faced with a unique challenge at the start of your graduate career, and it sounds like you've put your heart into making the very best of this situation. The resilience showed by our graduate cohort, coupled with the dedication of all the people who guide and nurture our future talent community, is a beautiful example of our culture. Dealing with the physical separation from our colleagues has been challenging, and inevitably we're all spending more time in meetings. We hope that you get to experience the buzz of the office and the joy of dropping by your colleague's desk and making things happen in the not too distant future.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Fantastic employer, forward thinking, supportive

Jul 14, 2021 - Resource Partner in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people are what make Auto Trader, I work amongst some of the nicest people I have ever met. Everyone I work with is always so supportive and want you to do well, no question is ever a bad or silly question. You can rely on your colleagues for support and lots of people have built some great friendships here. Its a place you will never stop learning and success. If you want to develop your career it is a wonderful place to be, Auto Trader provide the foundations and support for just that and I am so glad I came here.

Cons

Never enough time in the day but it means always challenged and that is not a bad thing!

3. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Just not for me, I felt like a bit of a burden on the team

Jul 21, 2021 - Engineer in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Up to date tech stack in most areas Use of macbook pros throughout the business Knowledge to improve your CV and make you stand out to other businesses

Cons

On call - this was brought up numerous times but shot down as what was suggested 'hadn't worked in the past' but note this was with different people. We were on call for 7 days once every 5 weeks, No additional pay, no time back unless one individual incident took over 2 hours to resolve, still alerted during the day and expected do deal with it if you were set as on call. It just didn't work really and no real plans to change it even when it was discussed multiple times. Old hat employees - groups are very clicky in some areas. I was told day 1 "we will have lunch together today, but from then one you have to sort yourself out" or along those lines, and wasn't invited to lunch again or made to feel welcome in general tbh. Judgemental culture, not much more to day tbh. Senior management hypocritical, managers crying in all hands about the results from employee surveys etc as they were so bad. Yet next day in the queue for lunch, totally blank you when one on one. That's the culture of this place in a nut shell. It's all 'face', behind closed doors it can be a not very pleasant place to work for some people. Covid not handled the best in my opinion - I had covid (in the very early days - march 2020) and I don't believe it was handled well personally at all. I feel i'm entitled to my opinion and I don't need a reply to this. I had some very difficult discussions with HR and senior management when I left. I do not need to insulted any more. I acknowledge I had a rough ride and departments throughout the business do differ but it shone a light on how things are actually dealt with and the outcome was not good for me.

2 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great company, culture and people!

Apr 12, 2021 - Account Manager in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

A fast-paced ever-changing environment is something you definitely expect in not only a constantly changing marketplace but a digital business. Auto Trader is adaptable to understanding, learning and changing which makes this place awesome and allowing people to have a voice, learn every day and speak to people you would never normally interact with in your day to day. Like with anything, you need to drive your own growth and development and put yourself out there. Although recognition is high, being entrepreneurial, creative and strategic helps you and the business at the same time. I don't think there are many businesses out there that you could work for and really make a difference every single day to both colleagues and customers. Managers do listen and will help you with vested interest and care and I found being very open and honest from the start has always done me well as the company knows what I need, and how to use my strengths while bringing up my weaknesses. The pandemic tested every business in the UK and Auto Trader proved to both its customers and its colleagues that it is here to support . You just cant ask for more when it comes to this.

Cons

Depending on what you class as progression, it can sometimes be difficult to move forward due to a lean environment but as I said, it depends on what you want.

Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. The satisfaction you take from your role is evident, and it's fantastic to hear about the impact you have on our customers. Keep up the good work!

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Simply the best

Jun 14, 2021 - Account Manager in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Collaboration, innovation, connected, forward thinking and inclusive. This company is not for the faint hearted, it requires you to be bold , determined and tenacious in your approach. Educating customers to change the way they work inline with the changing consumer demand. The culture is what I’m proud of, having a passion to promote from within . Giving people the autonomy to voice their opinions, allowing the business and our retailers the ability to grow quickly. AT have managed the pandemic extremely well, with a caring approach to staff and a forward thinking approach to product launches, allowing us to build amazing relationships internal and external.

Cons

Apart from the coffee choices I would struggle.

Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for your review. When we set out to improve the process of buying and selling vehicles in the UK, we knew that we had a challenging journey ahead of us. Educating retailers and consumers on the benefits of digitalisation requires resilience, initiative and determination, qualities our talented community of account managers and directors have in spades. Internal progression remains a key priority for us, and there is nothing we love more than to see our employees develop their careers. You'll be pleased to know that the new coffee shop we built in the office during lockdown serves a delightful cup, so there are no worries on that front!

6. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Good on the surface, rotten beneath

Jun 8, 2021 - Senior Software Developer in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good offices, very modern tech which is great for the CV. The fact the company has a friendly and forward thinking persona externally is great for your CV also.

Cons

Too many snakes. People talking behind your back. Massive levels of inconsistencies and contradiction in how people are treated. My manager was a bully and a egotist, but essentially was driving the tech advance of the business single handedly and thus was well protected though often complained about. If you are not in with the in crowd you are out on your own. A leadership team who cannot take criticism and take everything personally, yet don't act on anything. A small minded company who yak on about "collaboration" to avoid letting people work remotely. There is zero trust in this company and no transparency but it's a damn good place to boost your CV.

5 people found this review helpful

Employer Brand Manager

We're genuinely sorry to hear that you've left the company as we would have encouraged you to speak to us about the issues raised. Before the pandemic began, we were a business that thrived on the buzz that in-person collaboration gave us. We enjoyed welcoming customers, candidates and students to our offices and felt pride in the comments we received about our people, how we worked and our office space. Like most organisations, we've had to change how we do things. We've created a hybrid approach that gives our employees the best of both worlds—a newly renovated office space to collaborate in and the chance to work from home when needed. As we're following the government's roadmap, we haven't adapted to this new way of working yet, but we're excited about the future and watching our employees reunite.

7. 5.0

Best place to work!

Mar 28, 2021 - Test Engineer in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I was quite unconfident in my ability before I started at Auto Trader but they definitely boost your self esteem and make you believe that you can do anything you set your mind on. Everyone is super supportive and encouraging of your development, with people always willing to help and new things to learn. My team are definitely open to using new technologies so they are not afraid of doing things in a different way, which brings a lot of opportunities as if you think something can be done a better way then they are all ears and you can definitely make a difference. The work balance is great, you are never expected to work overtime and there are a occasional socials and great benefits

Cons

Sometimes there isn't that much work that comes in as a tester and you have to find work such as improving current tests or expanding test suite, some things aren't urgent and so you have to have motivation to want to build on your skills and work outside your assigned tasks if you want to keep busy

Employer Brand Manager

It sounds like you've been on quite a journey over the past few years, so thank you for sharing your experience. The amount of comments we hear about our people's supportive and caring nature always makes us smile! Your review goes to show the difference an encouraging and collaborative environment can make. It sounds like you take the ebb and flow of software testing in your stride and use the time wisely by increasing your knowledge and improving things around you. If you feel like the balance needs addressing, I encourage you to speak to your manager so they can help.

8. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good company but Account Manager role is tough

Apr 4, 2021 - Account Manager in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company has taken great care in creating a culture of caring for their staff, they are forward thinking with lots of perks and nice offices etc. I would highly recommend working for Auto Trader in any other role than Account Manager.

Cons

My experience of working as an internal account manager was not what I expected, given my previous experience in similar roles. The reality is taking a lot of inbound customer support and retention calls a call centre environment. Unfortunately a high proportion of car dealerships dislike Auto Trader, meaning that Account Managers are are on the front line of taking a lot of anger. Selling to people in that mindset makes it a very tough job and it’s overwhelming to even the strongest of people. Being the primary touch point with the companies customers there isn’t much trust in the Account Management teams. Often being the last in the business to learn about big changes, so its difficult to have any real impact aside from hitting your sales targets. It does feel like they are treated as disposable, with high staff turnover. If you’re used to call centres the role could be right for you.

Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for your feedback. It’s great to hear your positivity for our culture and that you’d recommended Auto Trader as a place to work. I’m sorry to hear that your expectations of the role haven’t been met, and I’d like to offer another viewpoint on some of your comments. We have a diverse range of customers, all of whom have different business models, goals, and pain points. This means that our Account Managers handle various enquiries, and there are times when their resilience and problem-solving skills are key to a progressive conversation. I acknowledge that not every customer is satisfied 100% of the time, but we know most of our customers feel very positive about Auto Trader. Over the past 12 months, we’ve offered an unprecedented level of support to our customers, and we’ve received extremely positive feedback as a result. We work closely with the recruitment team to paint a transparent picture of the role, from the job advert and at each stage of the assessment experience. If you have any ideas on improving, I'd encourage you to contact the team or me directly. We hold ourselves to high standards regarding internal communication to communicate via multiple channels from weekly update emails, a weekly CEO video, and manager briefings. I’m disappointed to hear that you’re not getting the information you need, given everything that is in place. I hope that you feel encouraged by our open and collaborative culture to speak to me directly, as I genuinely would love the opportunity to understand your points further. Thanks for sharing and very best regards, Rebecca Clark

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

A great place to work

Feb 1, 2021 - Software Developer in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working at Auto Trader has helped accelerate my career substantially. There are a lot of opportunities in the company to work on the things you want to work on and learn what you want to learn or need to do your role. One of the best things about working at Auto Trader is seeing how much they care, and how they allow employees to bring attention to areas they care about. There are a number of guilds and groups within the company that help educate and increase awareness of issues that are important to them such as BAME, LGBT+, Sustainability and more. The company puts a lot of focus on charity work and encourages employees to volunteer or raise money for things they care about. It's great to work somewhere where you feel like you have the potential to get involved and make a difference to the wider world. There is a great collaboration culture at Auto Trader and development is often done via pairing. On top of this, in product and tech, there are fortnightly tech talks and team-specific knowledge sharing sessions - this really ensures that knowledge and understanding of products are shared and everyone is able to contribute to projects. There is also a great mentoring program within the company.

Cons

There can be a lot of meetings, which during Covid can be particularly draining.

Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for your review. It sounds like you've dedicated time to develop your career and we're so pleased to hear that your hard work is paying off. We wish you continued success! Our diversity and charitable networks' work continues to be a massive source of pride for us, and we're excited to see what they have planned for 2021. Working from home has meant that we're spending more times in meetings, and we look forward to the day when we're able to return to the office.

10. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great Staff, Interesting Work

Jun 16, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in Manchester City Centre, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Auto Trader is one of the larger UK eCommerce sites, and as such, is a great place to hone those programming-in-the-large skills. Plenty of friendly people, highly collaborative environment. Lots of different sub-projects and departments to interact with. At my time, there was a good emphasis on quality practices and tech - XP, Lean Agile, UX, TDD, Containers, CI/CD and more. The apprenticeships are well done.

Cons

Can be limited career progression, like at most software product companies. Once you are a senior dev, there's only so much more you can do. Only so many greenfield projects. Quite few purely technical promotions.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 349 Reviews