Auto Trader UK Reviews

4.3
Auto Trader UK Chief Executive Officer Nathan Coe
Nathan Coe
Pros
Cons
  • "Very fast-paced but I find this exciting(in 28 reviews)

• "Finding a coffee mug in the Manchester office past 11am can be difficult :)(in 13 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. Featured Review
    COVID-19

"A great place to work"

Current Employee - Graduate Business Analyst in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for less than a year

Pros

After joining Auto Trader on the graduate schemes last year, and despite starting remotely, I am really enjoying my time so far. Some highlights below: - A large and supportive team of learning + development staff who deliver fantastic workshops and do a brilliant job - A genuine commitment to diversity and inclusion - Fantastic array of opportunities to grow outside of the day-to-day role - Everyone, irrespective of seniority, is approachable and friendly - It is an exciting and fast paced environment to work in - Great benefits and perks, such as a generous annual leave allowance and competitive salary - Leadership are transparent and have been quick to update us during the pandemic (I’ve known that shortly after a government announcement, an update will follow from the OLT within a matter of hours) - Support for working from home e.g. high spec monitor, desk chair etc. - An immensely knowledgable, industry-leading base of employees who always make time to share their support and mentor And many more pros...I look forward to building my career at Auto Trader.

Cons

- It can be hard to pin people down, especially remotely, given the amount of meetings / how busy everyone is. - Starting remotely has been difficult (no fault of Auto Trader of course). It can be slow to get started in role as a result of not being physically in the office and around the team

February 3, 2021Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. You were faced with a unique challenge at the start of your graduate career, and it sounds like you've put your heart into making the very best of this situation. The resilience showed by our graduate cohort, coupled with the dedication of all the people who guide and nurture our future talent community, is a beautiful example of our culture. Dealing with the physical separation from our colleagues has been challenging, and inevitably we're all spending more time in meetings. We hope that you get to experience the buzz of the office and the joy of dropping by your colleague's desk and making things happen in the not too distant future.

2. "Software Developer - A Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Manchester City Centre, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than a year

Pros

Knowledge sharing. There is a high proportion of approachable and communicative developers which is often missing in tech. There is a widely accepted practice of pair programming which helps facilitate and encourage this kind of knowledge sharing. Great company culture: Relaxed but hard working culture. Little in the way pretentiousness, despite the size of the company and high individual skill levels. Lots of people genuinely invested in the company. A mostly shared collective sense of gratitude for an employer that has some sense of ethics, demonstrated through active groups like the women's network, the sustainability guild and mostly competent line management. Great perks: Holidays, flexibility, office environment, resources etc. Interesting and Enjoyable Work: Applications built mostly using new technologies meaning work seems relevant and varied. Good code practices are enforced through positive review processes which means less bugs and more features. Great automated test coverage and well established delivery pipelines resulting in even more coding and very little fixing builds.

Cons

- Current price freeze. Without much investigation I get the impression that the salaries are slightly lower than average.

Continue reading

3. "Best company I’ve ever worked for!"

Current Employee - Front End Developer in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Made to feel welcome from day 1, feel like I’ve worked for the company a lot longer than a month! - People always willing to help and answer questions. - Everyone is really friendly. - Always kept in the loop with company updates.

Cons

None that I can think of.

4. "Awesome company to work for"

Current Employee - Manager in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Forward thinking , first class brand , value staff , great benefits

Cons

None that I’m aware of

Continue reading
  5. "Great community atmosphere"

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time

Pros

Really collaborative teams across the business, who you can learn from. Positive place for work and social benefits and development with training and progressing

Cons

Recruitment process took around 1 month

6. COVID-19

"A great start during a turbulent time."

Current Employee - Graduate Software Developer in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Due to the pandemic my start date was pushed back however the company kept in touch and was very reassuring. - Amazing culture, the values are definitely lived here. Always someone willing to help and explain things. - As a developer you get a tech and grad buddy. Really useful to have a go to person to ask questions, and catch up with regularly. - A lot of guilds and social clubs which have been going on during the pandemic really helps in getting through the lockdown. - During academy you get the chance to meet with people from around the business, including the OLT and Nathan.

Cons

- Starting remotely has been hard but autotrader has made it as easy as possible.

February 24, 2021Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for your review. You were faced with a unique challenge at the start of your graduate career, and it sounds like you've put your heart into making the very best of this situation. The resilience showed by our graduate cohort, coupled with the dedication of all the people who guide and nurture our future talent community, is an incredible example of our culture. Seeing the employee networks flourish during lockdown has been particularly heartwarming. From books to baking, photography to parenting, our employees have remained in touch and helped each other through the past 12 months. We're excited to welcome you back to the office when the time is right.

"Great place to work and learn"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Manchester, England

I worked at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Very talented people. AT was my first development job and in my 4 years here, felt like I learnt so much. - Good code bases which are looked after. Work isn't rushed out. There is some tech debt, but on the whole, devs are able to code well instead of rushing it. - Friendly people. My team weren't just my colleagues, they were friends who I am still in touch with today. - Squad days. Once a quarter, we spend a day together, discussing things, doing team building exercises, etc. In the evening, we'll do something like bowling or crazy golf with a free bar. - Apart from salary, good benefits. Apart from the improved salary at my new employer, things were a lot worse in my new job, and it made me regret leaving AT.

Cons

- Salary. When I left, my new employer gave me a rise of £10k. At the time, I thought wow! But rather than it being the new company overpaying, I think AT were underpaying. - One manager in particular had an unapproachable and intimidating manner. I think everyone knew about this, including leadership, but nothing ever seemed to be done. I once got a telling off for a mistake I'd made (asking why I'd done something in code), in front of the team. Several people messaged me to ask if I was okay. Admittedly, he did apologise for this. - Career progression. There was one person in my team who definitely should have been a senior developer. He eventually got it, but it was about 1/2 years overdue. - There was a big re-org. All developers found themselves in a new team. I hated the fact that my team was broken up. My new team never had the same rapport and I left about a year later. Developers were moved off a product they knew well and replaced with developers who didn't know it. It felt pointless, change for changes sake. The one positive out of it for me was, I got a new line manager.

February 24, 2021Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for your review. It takes a lot of time and effort to learn the craft of software development, which is why we’ve created a supportive learning environment. Career pathways, a varied tech stack, and a range of real-life problems are vital ingredients not only at the beginning of your career but throughout. You speak highly of your Auto Trader colleagues; the enthusiasm for continuous development and progression in our tech community is evident, even at a time when we’re physically apart. We’re looking forward to returning to the office as collaboration is such an integral part of life at Auto Trader, and while we’ve all made the best of the current situation, nothing quite beats being together. Salary is not the only thing that is on offer for our colleagues. Culture, people, opportunity and growth are Auto Trader staples and all of the things you’ve rated us highly on are what makes us stand out. That doesn’t mean that we don’t understand the importance of salaries and benefits. We benchmark our salaries and make sure they are competitive and recently also increased our employer pension contribution and holiday allowances. Diverse teams of people with different levels of experience, skills and ways of thinking help us build market-leading products. We wouldn’t be able to do this if we worked with the same people year after year but appreciate it’s difficult to leave the team of colleagues that have turned into friends. As for your manager, it’s good to hear that they recognised the impact of their words and apologised.

"Has its ups and downs"

Current Employee - Customer Experience in Manchester, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good location Great brand - well recognised Has alot going for it being a tech company Good facilities and some great work perks Nice people Can get to learn new skills (if you ask)

Cons

Seems to talk about values but not live them PAY IS VERY LOW ( COMPARED TO THE MARKET) AND WAGE INCREASES NEAR IMPOSSIBLE Lack of support for absences related to work place stress They respond to things here on glass door and do nothing - seems that the external image is more important that the actual working environment Not as flexible in terms of working from home as other companies -

Continue reading
  9. "Great Company to work for"

I worked at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

People centric culture, progressive, good managers

Cons

None at all very inclusive culture

February 15, 2021Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for sharing your lasting impressions of Auto Trader with us. We wish you the best of luck in your new venture.

"Very good company to work for"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good working environment No hierarchical management structure

Cons

No cons so far only been employed for 10 months

February 15, 2021Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We're pleased to hear that you've had a positive start to your career, despite the restrictions in place. We're looking forward to welcoming you back to the office when it's safe to do so.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 331 English Reviews