Avigilon Reviews

Updated 16 Sep 2020

3.4
Avigilon Chairman and CEO Gregory Q. Brown
Gregory Q. Brown
Pros
  • "Great people to work with from the top down(in 14 reviews)

• "The industry and company culture is fast paced and challenges you every day(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  1. "Best place I have worked"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Avigilon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people to work with. Tries, and succeeds most of the time, to be transparent about its goals and objectives. A lot of talented people work here. Open and accessible management. Great products in the video security space and interesting technologies, especially in AI and video analytics. Huge range of technologies to work with.

Cons

Many teams that work in silos. Professes to be Agile but sometimes struggles to succeed. Sometimes overreaches its capacity to deliver.

2. COVID-19

"Great place to learn and grow - if you are motivated"

Current Employee - Tech Support Specialist in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Avigilon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Even after merging with MSI at the beginning of 2020, management and policies were all mostly unaffected. Still have that “local startup” feel even though we are technically a small part of MSI. We have a lot of great, talented coworker and most of our management are friendly, down-to-earth and don’t micro-manage. Beautiful office space (used to be better on the 6th floor), good amenities, and before COVID, frequent events and even sometimes free hockey tickets. Currently working from home is also pretty nice. Benefits are average for a company like this (used to be better pre-MSI) but instead have 3 weeks vacation to start instead of 2. Fitness subsidy, stock purchase plan, RRSP matching, profit sharing and yearly salary review. Starting salary was very decent given the entry-level role (just shy of $50k) and after a year it’s closer to $55k now. Which brings me to the next pro: room for growth. Required to work on most stat holidays (paid accordingly) but for me this is great. Management seem to highly value ability and motivation here. There are many younger talented agents in higher roles and few “dead weights” outside front-line agents. I think that any motivated person with good worth ethic will do well and grow quickly here.

Cons

Staff burnout and lacking better training especially with COVID. Absentee agents are not back filled by rescheduling other staff: this includes everything from vacations to stat holidays, so the workload is just shifted to the people present. Management appear unwilling to get rid of underperforming staff, which is causing a lot of morale issues. It is very frustrating having some people working hard while a few try to find every excuse to avoid doing work. Medical benefits used to be better with a $2000 spending account yearly. Furthermore costs of premiums have increased noticeably. Overall, perhaps the company doesn’t value tech support enough since they don’t directly generate revenue. It seems like a lot of these issues can be resolved with more people and resources. On the other hand, one of the most common things I hear from our customers is that Avigilon has the best tech support compared to our competitors and that’s one of the reasons for going with our products.

3. "Great Technology"

Former Employee - V P

I worked at Avigilon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great technologists developing cutting edge analytics

Cons

Be prepared for a fast-paced environment (although I do not know if this has changed post-acquisition).

"Mean spirited autocracy"

2.0
    Former Employee - Product Development in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Avigilon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Clever, hard working individual contributors, great location and office spaces, up to date tools and equipment

Cons

Autocratic management, inordinate share of mean spirited, non-collaborative, unimaginative, frightened workers

5. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager

I worked at Avigilon full-time

Pros

awesome product, aggressive sales team, good leadership

Cons

aggressive pipeline management, unrealistic quota

"good work, bad benefits/salary"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Avigilon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

type of work is good

Cons

poor benefits and salary Health insurance is bad

7. "Good place to start your career"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Avigilon full-time for more than a year

Pros

The co-workers are really good. I love the work environment a lot.

Cons

I was a bit disappointed with the compensation. Other than that it's a great place to work.

8. "A great company and an enjoyable work environment."

Former Employee - Systems Assembler in Richmond, BC

I worked at Avigilon full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working as a team doing fast paced assembly. Learning how various security cameras are constructed. Monthly birthday celebrations. Occasional company BBQ.

Cons

You have to enjoy repetitive and fast paced work. There are constant production targets that have to be made. The night shift at the Richmond location finishes after the last bus of the day so a car may be required.

Continue reading
  9. "Amazing Company to work for (Regional Sales Manager) UK"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager

I have been working at Avigilon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Innovation, Reliability, Trusted I really could not imagine working for any other company and actually feel quite privileged to hold my position. Since Motorola Solutions have started steering the Avigilon ship things have remained the same for me but I feel we have a lot more resource for getting important things completed quickly. If you are good at your good you will do very well here.

Cons

If you want an easy life and are not committed to the cause this isn’t the company for you.

Continue reading
  10. "Overall a nice company to be a part of."

Current Employee - Community Relations Specialist in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Avigilon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone is respectable, has a clean pantry large enough for all production workers, free coffee and utilities whenever you need it. Has ample parking area for a shift only.

Cons

Employees have to pay their share of the benefits when it is merged into a bigger company, employees do not have their representation to management when things get sour.

Found 188 reviews