B&Q Employee Reviews about "staff discount"

Updated 12 Nov 2020

3.5
B&Q CEO Graham Bell (no image)
Graham Bell
Pros
  • "Good pay for a student during A-levels(in 98 reviews)

• "Good benefits 20% staff discount and other online companies(in 70 reviews)

Cons
  • "I worked at b&q for a number of years until I couldn’t take it anymore(in 72 reviews)

• "Long hours and sometimes physical workload - but worth it(in 33 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "staff discount"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Good company"

Current Employee - Customer Advisor

I have been working at B&Q part-time

Pros

Staff discount Lenient with college schedule

Cons

Unfair with holidays Never get pay increases

2. "Standard"

Former Employee - Customer Advisor in Beckton, England

I worked at B&Q part-time for more than a year

Pros

20% staff discount 1hour 30minute break

Cons

No career progression you could be working up until 10pm some days

3. "Worst Place I Ever Worked, Rubbish Management, Overworked like Slaves and poorly paid, Full of Scallies Chavs"

1.0
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Oldham, England

I have been working at B&Q part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

50% of your colleagues are friendly and nice and easy to work with and get along. 20% Staff discount.

Cons

The whole company is poorly managed and we are told we are hear for the greater good of the company and should worship B&Q as if it is a religion. Staff are overworked and exploited with poor pay and working conditions. The company cuts costs at every level that you are burden with so much workload. The stores are understaffed and poorly run that it has a negative consequence on the employees in terms of customers complaining and taking out their frustration and shouting at the poor service you give them. Everyone has a can't do attitude to work and the moral is really low due to the poor pay, workload, bad management, bad culture and working conditions which ruin your health. Everyone wants to leave and find a better job. But B&Q exploits the weak and vulnerable in society who can't get jobs elsewhere and are stuck and trapped there. The management and the company don't care about the workers and treat you like rubbish. I have never worked in a company like this. The management and the company don't care about the workers and treat you like rubbish. I have never worked in a company like this. 1) 50% of your colleagues are scally and chaves. 2) Poor pay 50p to £1 above the minimum wage. 3) Overworked doing 3/4 peoples jobs, as the company does not employ people. 4) No training given so you have not got a clue how do the job properly. 5) Short staff on every area of the store. 6) Management are rubbish and don’t have a clue how to manage people and get the best out of people. 7) Moral is really low 8) Poor health and safety and working conditions that you end up hurting your back, cutting your fingers, engaging with chemicals with no safety measures 9) Staff toilets are not clean that you can’t even breath when you go in there, smells of pooh. 10) Staff canteen is dirty 11) No career development, but who wants to work there anywhere. 11) Exploitation of the weak and vulnerable in society who can’t get jobs elsewhere. 12) Customers who shout and abuse customers because of the poor service they get from the company. 13) 3 people on the tills when we have 30 checkout machines. 14) Rude and racist colleagues who don’t like the BAME people. 15) Cutting corners at all level that you are impacted in a negative way e.g. trying advise customers on building material when you don’t have a clue. 16) Breaks and lunch break can’t be took on time and at times not be able to take them. 17) Getting paid overtime is a nightmare, you have to chase them all the time to get them to process it. 18) Hard to take annual leave because they have limits and if you don’t take them you lose them. 19) Rotas are poorly done and changed so you get turned away when you are schedule to work. 20) Supervisor/Team Leader don’t have clue how to manage and do their jobs properly 21) everyone hates working there and want to leave and are workshy. 22) Employees and managers are sleeping around at work with each other on nights and getting dunked and creates the work gossips (Christmas is popular time). 23) Stressed out employees because of the pressure of work and customer demands. 24) A lot of workplace politics and gossip leading to conflict and problems at work. 25) Management and supervisors don’t care about employees or making a good place to work. 26) I was working so hard and fast and running around like a dog that I lost weight and ruin my health. 27) No work life balance, slaved to the company. 28) Management and other colleges are bullies and tend to group up on you. 29) Working there is a prison sentence and the only goal you will make there is to leave as soon as possible, unless you have a screw lose and wish to remain 30) Hundreds of products without correct prices and you have to run like a dog to get the correct price and apologies to the customers while they shout and become frustrated with you because of the time it take to get the correct price.

Continue reading
  4. "It is what you make it"

Current Employee - Showrooms Advisor in Derby, England

I have been working at B&Q part-time for less than a year

Pros

Teamwork, friendly staff, pushed to excel if you have a good manager, flexible hours, full uniform provided, decent pay, 20% staff discount, sociable job, some excellent managers

Cons

Low staff moral in some departments, communication can be poor, not enough training, not enough praise at times, hire a lot of kids straight out of school, some poor management

October 1, 2020Employer Brand & Attraction Manager

Thanks for your review. You'll be pleased to know that we've just launched our new induction programme for all new starters, which should help to upskill our colleagues from day 1.

5. "It's okay for a while"

Former Employee - Customer Advisor in Erdington, England

I worked at B&Q full-time

Pros

20% Staff discount Overtime Some staff and managers are a pleasure to work with

Cons

Over worked at times Not enough staff Taken for granted Favouritism You really have to fight to get holiday when you want it The job should pay more for what you actually have to do

"Dreadful politics"

1.0
    Former Employee - Trading Manager

I worked at B&Q full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Share save, staff discount ok.

Cons

Politics within management is dreadful. It’s not about how good you are at your job, it’s about who you suck up to the most. Management tolerate bullying and victimisation of staff providing its ones that they “don’t like”. The consistency of implementing policy and procedure is dreadful. Even when they are proven to get things wrong they cover it up between themselves.

Continue reading
  7. "Good company to work for"

Current Employee - Trading Manager in Sudbury, East of England, England

I have been working at B&Q full-time

Pros

Good benefits 20% staff discount and other online companies

Cons

Late shifts, could be over an hour away from home

June 16, 2020Employer Brand & Attraction Manager

Thanks for the 4 stars, and for sharing your views.

8. "Low Pay for KBB Designer"

2.0
    Current Employee - Showroom Assistant

I have been working at B&Q full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible Hours Staff Discount Student Friendly Employer

Cons

Low pay Career progression isn’t great Long hours Now commission/bonuses

February 17, 2020Employer Brand & Attraction Manager

Thanks for sharing your feedback. Please do keep an eye out for our apprenticeships, there's several available for retail colleagues, and they do help with career progression.

9. "Highly Recommended, 💛 loved my time there"

5.0
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Advisor in Sutton in Ashfield, England

I worked at B&Q part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Management & Colleague team, friendly, good working conditions, quality uniform, free car parking, good pension scheme, great staff room facilities, personal lockers, quiet time out staff room, staff discount, over 6 weeks holiday per year.

Cons

Weekends & evenings part of the job, but that goes with retail work.

November 29, 2019Employer Brand & Attraction Manager

Thanks for your 5 star review - great to read that you loved your time with us. And there's some great suggestions for improvements there. We'll add these to the #MYB&Q Yammer page as part of our continuous improvements planner. All the best for your next job, we hope you join us again in the near future.

10. "Used to be great"

2.0
    Former Employee - Customer Advisor in Peterhead, Scotland

I worked at B&Q part-time

Pros

Staff discount after 3 months. Great friend network.

Cons

It's a one man does all type of job. Too high expectations for staff on just above minimum wage. Management are horrific. Constant threats to lose your job if petty things aren't done or missed. Was no longer a nice place to work.

October 30, 2019Employer Brand & Attraction Manager

Thanks for your comments. This isn't the way we encourage our managers to live our values, so thanks for raising these concerns. We'll be sure to share them with the regional teams so that changes can be made.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 70 English Reviews