BAE Systems Applied Intelligence Employee Reviews about "senior management"

Updated Dec 8, 2020

Found 50 of over 949 reviews

3.6
BAE Systems Applied Intelligence Managing Director Julian Cracknell
Julian Cracknell
Pros
  • "Good flexible working for work/life balance(in 86 reviews)

• "Supportive, interesting work, good team(in 65 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Very 'Old Boys Network' in senior management(in 50 reviews)

• "The company can't work out if its a consultancy or box shifter(in 38 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Tech India

Join the conversation on
    Join the conversation on

Reviews about "senior management"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 4.0
      Current Employee

Ok company to work for

Dec 8, 2020 - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay and interesting work

Cons

Senior management have trouble relating to lower level employees

2. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good progression, competitive colleagues, good location

Jun 9, 2020 - Business Analyst in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great office location Good progression opportunities Good work social life

Cons

Competing against peers constantly Some senior management difficult to work with

Be the first to find this review helpful

BAE Systems Applied Intelligence Response

Thanks for sharing feedback about your time at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. It’s great to know you enjoyed the social like at AI and that you saw opportunities for progression. We will feedback your comments to the leadership team. Thanks again.

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Overall happy with my time there

Feb 3, 2020 - Test Manager in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work is recognised- promotions and reward incentives are available. Happy to pay for certified training to up skill staff. Lovely staff!

Cons

Very 'Old Boys Network' in senior management. Often guilty of putting people in roles they don't want to be in for the sake of 'bums on seats'. You can be stuck in the same role for years if they have no-one to back fill your role.

2 people found this review helpful

BAE Systems Applied Intelligence Response

Thanks for your comments, and glad to hear you had a mostly positive experience working at AI. The ongoing development of our employees is a top priority for us so thank you for sharing your thoughts with us on this and we of course agree our staff are our greatest strength! We will be taking all of your comments forward for review so thank you again for taking the time to give us your feedback.

4. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Management out of step with modern Software development practices. Old Boys

Jan 15, 2020 - Engineering Manager in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very intelligent and capable technical people. BAE enforced processes have killed the innovation culture that existed. BAE business model of fleecing government customers is the future.

Cons

Senior Management is totally outdated. No trust, increasing micro management over time. I spend 1 hour doing work and 7 hours justifying my decisions each day. Forget HIPPO (Highest Paid Person's Opinion), the poshest person rule, even though they haven't a clue on how to deliver software. Diversity and Inclusion is just lip service. Morale amongst the do'ers is very poor. Senior Management doesn't really care. Recent rounds of redundancies has seen Senior Management look after their own. Everyone else has been thrown to the winds.

6 people found this review helpful

BAE Systems Applied Intelligence Response

Thank you very much for your review. We certainly agree that our people are our greatest strength. While it's disappointing to hear some of your comments, we appreciate all of the feedback we receive, and will ensure our leadership team is made aware of it. Thanks again.

5. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Worked at Guildford for 4.5 years - constant redundancies

Jan 9, 2020 - Test Engineer in Guildford, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Surrey Research Park is a nice environment to work in with grass, trees and lakes.

Cons

Surrey Research Park is a nice environment to work in with grass, trees and lakes, but let down by having only one road entrance/exit to the park, so if arriving by car be prepared for an extra 90 mins on your travel time EVERY day, and YES, it’s that bad, and arrive early due to the lack of parking. I was involved with both Hardware and Software testing; the hardware development and testing team were a fantastic team, but everything is pretty much left to the last six weeks of the calendar year, rather than being organised and managed throughout the year. On top of that during this very busy period all staff are expected to complete yearly reviews, gathering 360 feedback and WRF’s etc from colleagues rather than leaving it to the quieter period at the start of a new year. When the company was in trouble during the ‘first restructure’ (round of redundancies), I was asked to move over to Software testing (as qualified in both areas). In this area there are some talented staff and some interesting projects but drastically let down my management not understanding the customer requirements, then trying to do things on the cheap by refactoring existing software. This ends up wasting more time/money and the talent of the staff trying to sort projects out, this in turn leaves the company losing money year after year. Even after having lessons learned retrospectives projects do not improve. After trimming down the company, the company over the next two years constantly took on new staff on monthly intakes, with quite a high proportion ending on the bench because the company did not win the expected business. Then after being reassured there would be no more restructuring there was an enouncement of a second restructure/redundancies. On that very day there were 20 + new starters sitting in the Atrium!!!!!! They have now scrapped the software test practice leaving the company directionless on ensuring the products meet the project requirements and high quality the customers expect. We were told that unless you could find a project to work on with at least 1-year funding, you were redundant, this has in effect turned all of the full time staff into contractors. My multi skilled flexibility to move between hardware and software was rewarded (Stabbed in the back) with redundancy - the company works on its own one-way flexibility policy. They’ve now just closed another building SRP3 after having to twice restructure the company, that is left being financially supported by BAE Systems Group, no one in the company can understand why Julian Cracknell has been left in charge of the business. It’s a very great shame the way its managed, so if you want to work somewhere that is contracting, losing money, with redundancies every 2 years, with a Senior Management and HR team that are not bothered about the staff (just treated as a number) this is the place for you….

5 people found this review helpful

BAE Systems Applied Intelligence Response

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Following a recent strategic review of the Applied Intelligence Technology & Commercial business unit, we are making some changes to help deliver a profitable, long-term growth plan. While it's disappointing to hear some of your comments, we appreciate all of the feedback we receive, and will ensure our leadership team is made aware of it. Thank you.

6. 2.0
      Current Employee

If you want a promotion, forget it. Look elsewhere.

Sep 13, 2019 - Data Scientist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Interesting work Good place to learn if you're a graduate (if you're on the right project)

Cons

The company do not value you at all. The promotions process is a overblown, nonsensical farce. In order to get promoted you have to provide a thesis worth of evidence that you are ready for promotion, far more than an external hire would have to do to get the same position. Even when you meet all requirements you still get the same bull from management such as "We agree you are promotion ready but we currently don't have enough promotion slots." Senior management is an absolute joke.

3 people found this review helpful

BAE Systems Applied Intelligence Response

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your time with us. It’s great to hear you find your work interesting but it’s disappointing to hear you don't feel valued. We would like to encourage you to feed this back to your manager or to HR so we can resolve the issues you are facing. Many thanks

7. 3.0

OK

Aug 14, 2019 - Business Analyst in Guildford, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Incredibly talented colleagues in engineering teams

Cons

Questionable senior management / leadership team

BAE Systems Applied Intelligence Response

Thank you for taking the time to leave a balanced review of your time with us. We value all of the reviews we receive, and will communicate back to our leadership teams. Thanks

8. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Steady decline and lacking strategy

Jul 3, 2019 - Software Engineer in Guildford, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great colleagues Interesting work Lots of variation

Cons

Constantly changing strategy Lack of investment in products Lack of transparency from senior management Ratio of engineers to managers very biased towards management Few progression paths that don't involve becoming a manager

2 people found this review helpful

BAE Systems Applied Intelligence Response

Thank you for taking the time to leave a balanced review, we value all of the reviews we receive. It’s great to hear you find your work interesting and it’s disappointing to hear your negative feedback but we do appreciate your comments and will ensure our leadership team is made aware of the issues you raised. Thanks again for your feedback.

9. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Should never have left

Jan 30, 2019 - Principal Technical Architect in Guildford, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great Intelligent people. Worked hard with a good social balance.

Cons

Senior management changed frequently and was often at odds with the culture of the company

BAE Systems Applied Intelligence Response

Our culture is very unique and special to us and so this feedback is really valuable. Thank you for taking the time to review your time at AI. Good luck in your career. Thanks again!

10. 3.0

Look for somewhere else

Sep 12, 2018 - Senior Consultant in Kuala Lumpur
      Business Outlook

Pros

The tech is good, not great, just good. Lots of big banks as clients, if you like that sort of things. If you want to start a career in Banking Compliance, Anti Fraud for Banks and Insurance, Cyber Security, etc. It is a good place to start, make friends with the senior consultants, senior individual contributors, and the middle managers, they are the ones that know their stuff and have substance. They can guide you and give you valuable advice on your career and domain knowledge that you will carry with you to your next job.

Cons

I am afraid upper management is not very good, I am not convinced that they can turn this company around. Middle management are much better, but they cannot do much despite their good intentions to turn the company around. I fear that the damage done Pre 2017 is irreversible or hard to remedy. Marketing and Sales (perhaps senior management) spent a lot on ad campaigns and expensive speakers for conferences that does not translate to good commercial returns. In the Global Delivery Center in KL, the senior management here are not interested in building up your career, but more interested in making you stay at your station and write code. If you like that sort of thing, then good for you. Otherwise, there are other sweatshop that are better. If you are a fresh grad thinking of joining this company, I suggest you to join a another software house to build a solid experience in coding. If you work in the Singapore, Sydney, or Melbourne offices, you don't get much recognition for great work, unless you are visible to the senior management. People in these offices prefer to keep to themselves and form cliques.

3 people found this review helpful