BLM Law Employee Reviews about "blm"

Updated 18 Dec 2018

2.4
BLM Law Senior Partner Michael Brown (no image)
Michael Brown
Pros
Cons
  • "I spent almost 3 years at the firm in a non fee earning capacity and throughout my time I saw countless people leave BLM for very similar reasons(in 7 reviews)

• "Little to no training, poor management(in 5 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "blm"

Return to all Reviews

"Poor experience"

2.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southampton, England

I worked at BLM Law full-time

Pros

It was a good place to work initially.

Cons

The managers didn’t have any business sense and there was no accountability once you became a partner as equity partners do not manage partners in the usual way and they covered up complaints about salaried partners. This resulted in salaried partners picking on employees and employees not having anywhere to turn. I have gone to work as a manager in a business and there is no way I would have that position at BLM as managerial ability is not considered when promoting. You become a partner here by billing and being a good lawyer- not the qualities for a good manager. The atmosphere was very much like a factory due to the hours and billing pressure. People didn’t take lunch and they were unhappy. The atmosphere killed my drive temporarily. Encourage ambition, let people challenge management, avoid the suppressed atmosphere as I found that when I left, most of the good staff had left and it was just the robots, the “ yes men” and some partners left.

Continue reading

"Such a Shame - Dont let the Reception or The London office view fool you !"

2.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I worked at BLM Law full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

BLM is a well respected firm ( I wonder if that would still be the case if our "customers" knew what was going on behind closed doors ) On the plus side dotted throughout the firm there are clusters of expection talent & integrity , It is a shame that these people are siloed and not supported ! The only pro I can currenlty suggest is the appointment of the new managaing partner who just might have what it takes to turn this firm around !

Cons

I spent almost 3 years at the firm in a non fee earning capacity and throughout my time I saw countless people leave BLM for very similar reasons. **Please be aware that should you decide to join BLM be prepared .... there is ZERO progression despite hitting every target in your personal development you are told there is no where for you to go ! By the time I left , the firm were loosing staff hand over fist , I regret to say that the moral between staff is at rock bottom ! if you are looking for a job where you can coast for the rest of your life , with the threat that you might not have a place to work next week then BLM might be for you. There is also no set salary bandings or any formal structure on how your salary is worked out - you can have 4 people all doing the same job and getting paid 4 different salaries ! in some cases there can be a 4/5k swing .... and your annual bonus of a couple hundred quid .... lets not forget about that ... it seems they try during the interview stage to get you as cheap as possible - and depending on how good your negotion skills are depends on what you earn !

Continue reading

"Extremely positive experience so far"

4.0
    Current Employee - Marketing Executive in Manchester, England

I have been working at BLM Law full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have recently started working at BLM, having joined in July 2017 and just passed my probationary period. My role as a Marketing Executive is varying, interesting and fulfilling. The team are very friendly and are always happy to help. I have experienced one 'team away day' since I have joined which was great fun and educational. I feel like I am on track to a fruitful career at BLM and look forward to progressing.

Cons

The only con I can think of is the inability to work from home.

February 15, 2018Resourcing Team

We are delighted that you had a a warm welcome to BLM, we are really pleased that you are enjoying your time with us. We aim to provide all employees with opportunities for career development so it is pleasing to hear that you are fulfilled in your role and we look forward to supporting you as you continue to thrive within BLM.

"Once good traditional mid level firm has sold and lost its soul"

I worked at BLM Law full-time

Pros

A lot of great people work there. Generally staff don't have to work late or do much work at home.

Cons

BLM are well known in the North west for paying less than their competitors but despite this fee earner targets have shot up over recent years. Open plan working in dingy offices (only the client facing areas have been improved). Computer systems that aren't fit for purpose. Non partner fee earners have a huge amount of non chargeable admin to complete. All staff perks have been removed ( cash for getting married; office drinks etc). The majority of Management are incredibly, eyewateringly, shortsighted and have absolutely no idea or inclination as to how to motivate, encourage or even retain staff. The new corporate ethos appears to be put up with it or leave. Used to be a great place to work, but is now a soul destroying corporate nightmare.

"Avoid working here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at BLM Law full-time

Pros

There is a good work/ life balance, which is ideal considering I could not bear to spend any more time at work than was absolutely necessary.

Cons

The work produced at the firm is of low quality to say the least. The work is monotonous and repetitive. Worked at BLM for four months and it was four months too long. Horrible office.

"MI & BI"

4.0
    BI & Projects Analyst in Manchester, England

I have been working at BLM Law

Pros

BLM is embracing MI and the need to develop what is captured, it is an exciting time at the moment and a good department to work for. There is a lot of change going on, in positive ways and it is exciting to be part of the growth and development.

Cons

The benefits package at the moment is quite basic

"Good experience with reputable firm but not a long term answer"

Current Employee - Paralegal
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at BLM Law full-time

Pros

City Centre location Respectable firm Good experience New staff will get better pay than current employees who have been doing the job for years (good if you are to join the firm)

Cons

Have stopped internal training contract candidates with years commitment to the firm from being given the opportunity undertake the first test for the position which it has done previously. Now internal and external candidates are treated the same and internal candidates applications can be dismissed without explanation so there is no benefit to working here if you want a training contract in the future as this commitment does not come into their thinking. In the 2016 intake there were no training contracts given to any internal candidates and multiple given to vacation scheme candidates who were in the office for 2 weeks. This is sad when there are over 150 candidates within BLM applying. Pretty tough to train someone on the department and how to deal with cases when they are earning £3k more than you and have never worked in defendant work when you have worked there for multiple years.

November 23, 2016Resourcing Team

BLM takes developing our colleagues very seriously and trainee solicitors are an important element of our future success. It is therefore important to us that we undertake an open and transparent process when recruiting and we ask our internal and external candidates to complete the same process. We launched a dedicated section of our internal intranet to provide internal candidates with all the information that they require and many colleagues have taken advantage of seeking feedback on unsuccessful applications from our internal graduate recruitment and team. Some of the figures quoted here are inaccurate as from our 2016 intake, over 60% were internal candidates and in our 2017 intake we have offered over half of the spaces to internal candidates. During our last recruitment cycle we received 35 internal applications not the 150 stated here. We have launched a vacation scheme programme to give the firm exposure to a wider variety of candidates. As part of our first scheme, we offered a space to an internal candidate who wanted experience in a different area of law and they have subsequently secured a training contract with the firm. Further details of our vacation schemes can be found on our website here http://www.blmlaw.com/2795/pages/vacation-scheme-.html We appreciate that securing a training contract can sometimes be a difficult process, however we do have resources to help identify the best route for people to develop their careers and we are always happy to assist where we can. Alex Holmes Head of Learning & Development

"Growth high, staff morale low"

Current Employee - Paralegal in City of London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at BLM Law full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Despite being an 'insurance law firm' the sheer range of disciplines we deal with on a daily basis is as diverse as it is impressive. BLM is a strong firm with a clear focus on acting in the best interests of all our clients and given the strong relationships we have with those clients I have no doubt we'll get there.

Cons

It seems to be the case that senior/middle management is doing a grand job of messing up progress by burying their head in the sand when it comes to staff morale. How can a firm with a revenue in excess of £100m justify not paying their very dedicated and knowledgeable staff their true worth? How can that firm justify not encouraging junior staff to grow and develop? How can that firm justify having a completely opaque bonus structure? How can we have higher annual targets than our main rivals while compromising on salary? And lastly, how can senior management completely ignore the reasons for the much publicised mass resignation? You see these and other issues are the reasons we have a revolving door of staff!

May 17, 2017Resourcing Team

As a current employee I am sorry to read that you feel staff morale is low – we would really like to discuss this with you and encourage you to reach out in confidence to a member of the HR team. Our recent all staff survey will also help to identify any concerns across the business. You will know that we have a dedicated learning and development team, ensuring the personal progression and learning opportunities of all members of staff, irrespective of their role at BLM. It is important that we issue regular updates to all colleagues, which includes business critical or team-centric news, although we will ensure that this does not happen in place of direct meetings with colleagues. Our senior partner and other members of the management team regularly attend other offices to talk to colleagues about BLM in an open and honest way and hopefully you have attended one of our recent roadshow sessions. We encourage colleagues to approach us too with anything they would like to discuss directly.

"Shambles of a company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I have been working at BLM Law full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

A handful of the people here are great. If anything, far too good for BLM.

Cons

I have worked for BLM for over 10 years and as it stands, morale is at the lowest I have ever seen it. Promised pay reviews and rises have been pushed back and this could perhaps be the final nail in the coffin for this company. Staff are treated incredibly poorly with most being severely underpaid - many work and work, stay after hours and work through lunches yet get little or no recognition, whilst the fat cats sit on top raking in £250,000+ in bonuses a year. Disgusting. Solicitors, partners and equities look down their noses at all admin staff and the way some are spoken to is appalling, whilst management sit back and do nothing about it but simply let things get worse. People have already walked out and there will be more. BLM you seriously need to take notice of your hard working staff and make some improvements or soon there will be no one decent left. You have been warned.

May 17, 2017Resourcing Team

We would strongly encourage you to speak with either your line manager or HR to discuss your feelings about morale at BLM. We can then do our utmost to address any concerns that you have. There are many options for addressing issues, such as if you feel as though your workload is too heavy which has resulted in long hours for you – it is important that you feel supported and valued and we know that our business support teams are crucial to the success of our firm.

"used to be best Solicitors in my eyes"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at BLM Law

Pros

I thought they were the best Solicitors but i was sadly mistaken. Honestly means PIG all. if you are dishonest, corrupt, evil you will WIN.

Cons

i have lost all faith in BLM and i will refuse to deal with them. if someone purposely makes you ONLY slightly hit them for cash of course. THEY win. Foreigners / Nationals anyone dishonest WILL WIN. i have lost faith in honestly and the law which means PIG ALL if you are honest. where i work i have their paperwork all the time, I REFUSE to deal with their paperwork anymore. This is because i must be professional so i have to wash my hands of them. They make me want to leave the country. i am so disappointed at the LAW or lack of it.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 English Reviews

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.