BLM Law Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 15 Oct 2020

2.4
BLM Law Senior Partner Michael Brown (no image)
Michael Brown
Pros
Cons
  • "I spent almost 3 years at the firm in a non fee earning capacity and throughout my time I saw countless people leave BLM for very similar reasons(in 7 reviews)

• "Little to no training, poor management(in 5 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"No scope for progression"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - I Prefer Not to Specify in Birmingham, England

I worked at BLM Law full-time

Pros

- very few helpful managers

Cons

- micromanagement - treated as a number - zero work/life balance - toxic work environment - no progression

"Not a great place to work"

Former Employee - Paralegal

I worked at BLM Law full-time

Pros

I don’t think there’s any

Cons

No work/life balance False Promises Toxic workplace Increased targets without any reason Zero transparency Treat employees as if they’re robots You may have an extra day off for your Birthday however, you’re expected to make up those ‘lost’ hours Managers lack basic managerial skills Micromanagement Obvious hierarchy

"Good working hours"

Current Employee - Solicitor

I have been working at BLM Law full-time

Pros

Good work life balance and leave office before 5:30 most days- technology is improving and supportive environment

Cons

Poor pay compared to competitors, pension scheme not great and becoming more corporate and pressing on hours and bills without the corresponding salary

"Trainee Solicitor"

Current Employee - Trainee Solicitor in Manchester, England

I have been working at BLM Law full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work / Life balance, that's about it

Cons

Low pay, lack of progression opportunities

March 8, 2019Resourcing Team

Thank you for your comments. Our focus is to retain the talent in our trainee community and across all practice areas and support functions. The Emerging Talent Manager or the Trainee Principle would both welcome the opportunity to discuss your concerns,especially those around progression.

"Lacks soul. Stick not carrot employer. Avoid!!!"

1.0

I have been working at BLM Law part-time for more than a year

Pros

Location and good benefits but not worth working in such a negative culture.

Cons

Awful work environment. Weak, bullying team managers. No genuine camaraderie. A lot of very unhappy staff. Lip service to inclusiveness and work / life balance. Management desperately adding more staff benefits but not delivering the basics. Staff undervalued. High stress, low job satisfaction. Terrible IT. I would strongly advise against working here. Senior management turn a blind eye to poor behavior / people management. Self service environment, don't expect any help from anyone, no one cares!

"Paralegal"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at BLM Law full-time

Pros

Good exposure for a low experience employee. Excellent diversity in employees through all levels of the company; admin to management. Good location and nice facilities. Opportunities to progress.

Cons

Little to no team ethos. As a result there was no sense of a team, as it was essentially "every man for himself" Management very poor at handling staff; which one can only assume filters down from the top. Poor work life balance, considering the elementary nature of the work being done. No mentoring.

February 15, 2018Resourcing Team

Thank you for your positive comments. We are proud that BLM continues to attract talent to the firm as a result of the quality of the work undertaken and the high calibre lawyers we have within the business. We are pleased to hear that you gained valuable experience during your time with us. BLM continues to review employees’ benefits package, which currently includes flexible working and a new staggered hours policy, so we are sorry to hear that you had a poor experience of the work/life balance during your time with us. We have taken on board your personal experience of the firm’s management and team ethos and will continue to work to improve employees’ overall experience of working at the firm. We wish you all the best in your current and future roles.

"Good work/life balance, but ultimately disappointing"

I have been working at BLM Law full-time

Pros

Work/life balance is good, you finish early. Some nice offices (others not that nice).

Cons

Very few social events, too much focus on revenue and not enough on staff development and engagements, too many partners do not care at all about the people working for and around them.

"Avoid working here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at BLM Law full-time

Pros

There is a good work/ life balance, which is ideal considering I could not bear to spend any more time at work than was absolutely necessary.

Cons

The work produced at the firm is of low quality to say the least. The work is monotonous and repetitive. Worked at BLM for four months and it was four months too long. Horrible office.

"Solicitor"

Solicitor
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at BLM Law

Pros

There is good work life balance

Cons

Poor salary and culture. Little transparency. Mean with basic perks likeep season ticket loan

May 17, 2017Resourcing Team

Thank you for your comments about BLM and for recognising that there is a good work life balance. We are proud of our approach to flexible working which we are increasingly rolling out across the firm. In terms of pay, we have now introduced a mechanism whereby colleagues receive measurable bonuses based on their achievements against targets, to be fair and consistent. We always welcome queries or suggestions, or you if would like to raise any of the issues you have posted here online, I would encourage you to speak in confidence with a member of the HR team, or your line manager.

Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 English Reviews

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.