BSI America Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Found 81 reviews

2.4
BSI America CEO Howard Kerr
Howard Kerr
Pros
  • "Good Benefits and nice coworkers(in 8 reviews)

• "Fantastic benefits including 20 paid-time-off per year PLUS the week between Christmas and New Year(in 6 reviews)

"Present Day REVIEW"

Current Employee - Assessor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at BSI America full-time

Pros

So far, I found the hiring and management department for the Medical Device team to be very honest. I did not feel they were just looking for a body. They were honest about the amount of travel. Acknowledged my concerns about some of the job review complaints I've researched. And they shared with me the processes that are now in place to address some of those concerns. The desire to identify, acknowledge and... improve is to me a good sign. I joined right when these changes were taking place and felt an honest present-day review was needed. Majority of the team members and fellow assessors have been great to work with. Then you also have a few outliers in the bunch. Each assessor comes with their own wealth of knowledge on whatever past industry they worked in before BSI and we all teach each other. Travel expenses are treated with a fast turn around time. Being apart of a big organization, the benefits are good and 4 weeks of PTO are a plus. Working remote, communication can be challenging, but I think all remote jobs share this. So far my manager, planners, payroll and the HR department does a good job communicating back in a reasonable time. The entire management team is new. Note: They are made up of previous assessors who have been promoted from within the organization to these postions. So far my manager has been very encouraging and showed care and concern for my wellbeing during training and during a personal hardship. Other management members have reached out to offer themselves as additional resources. Learning resources are abundant, you just have to be resourceful enough to communicate your needs. Traveling is extensive but the pro is that the organization acknowledges this and they are mass hiring to help alleviate this. Ownership of travel points collected from expense s is nice. Paid certifications and classes is a pro. And finally the most important pro, no one micromanaging your everyday work activities as long as you do what needs to get done and do it right!

Cons

Training structure - not detailed enough for the needs of new assessors. But from what I've heard and seen from individuals hired after my group, it's improving. There are too many different learning modules and sign in's to keep up with. Communication lacks some sort of control process. I have found that either I or other fellow assessors have been left out of important email communications. IT turn around... request can be a little long.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Continue to build a strong relationship with your team in order to facilitate improvements and to help identify trends. Share what to do scenarios for common issues to help standardize the team's thought process on how to handle them.

BSI America2019-09-07

September 10, 2019Internal Communications

It was good to hear that you are having a positive employee experience with BSI and we thank you for your comments. This is a truly exciting time for our Regulatory Services – Medical Devices Stream; as you have highlighted, we have been making significant changes so that our colleagues and customers have a great experience. There is always more to do as we also strive for continual improvement. Communications is one such area that we review on a regular basis to ensure effectiveness, so your feedback is appreciated. Our approach is for information/dialogue to be both ways and, importantly, we expect our management team to cascade information directly to their teams. Please also see our Medical Devices employee newsletter which has both business updates and news of what our talented colleagues are doing outside of work. For example, our latest feature includes an article on a volunteering activity. We encourage you to talk to members of your management team if you would like any additional information.

2. "Good"

Current Employee - Client Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at BSI America full-time

Pros

Good training. Good effort to improve employee welfare

Cons

Should have 27 vacation days like UK Auditors.

BSI America2019-09-03

September 12, 2019Internal Communications

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding BSI and our training and vacation days. BSI continues to provide ways for each employee to have the tools, resources, and training required to be proficient in their respective roles. For example, the Wellness campaign that began in 2018 continues to provide encouragement and support for all employees. Regarding the vacation days it is part of our well-being to encourage employees to take time away from work, to relax and revitalize. Over the past several months we have been looking at all aspects of our reward programs to ensure alignment with the regional markets. Feel free to reach out to your HR representative to talk further.

"100% Turnover of Salespeople"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Herndon, VA

I worked at BSI America full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good Benefits and nice coworkers

Cons

Salespeople do not last long. 100% attrition.

Advice to Management

Give salespeople more time to sell instead of performing administrative functions. Have more realistic sales goals.

BSI America2019-04-11

April 25, 2019Internal Communications

The turnover of our sales team is a concern and, as a cyclical trend, there has been a recent increase that is being addressed. Sales is a complicated profession and with many competing tasks that distract from revenue generating activities. It is no surprise that today’s sales person – industry agnostic - spends only 1/3 of their time selling. Time management techniques are critical for today’s sales professional to reach his/her success metrics which includes quota and more importantly customer satisfaction and relationship building. While our rate of turnover is not 100% we have seen higher than average rates over the past 18 months There are many reasons employees leave BSI including generational trends, active recruiting from our competitors, employee misalignment, job expectations, and sales culture. No matter how you spin it, the data reflects an unfortunate trend and we do not turn a blind eye to it. We are reviewing our on-boarding process and training program to make certain that team members are aligned and aware of job responsibilities, roles, territories, and expectations. We are also creating career development programs to help support a growth path for all employees, particularly salesperson development and mentoring/coaching. Continual improvement is part of who we are, which means we are often implementing changes that can seem disorganized but we always have our employees’ interests and well-being top of mind. As our transition to the next phase of development comes to pass, we anticipate less disruption in our operations. Nevertheless, thank you for your feedback and perspective. We value all input.

"US Leadership is the Issue"

Former Employee - Sales in Herndon, VA

I worked at BSI America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work life balance! As a whole the company is great to work for. Great benefits, excellent coworkers, a sound business model.

Cons

The leadership in the US seems is purposely causing issues with the sales processes and reducing productivity in sales, or at best it’s nonexistent. Needless delays in replies to requests for approvals, training, and that’s if you’re lucky enough to not get ignored, rules that’ll restrict any organization from being successful, the worst part is it’s unnecessary...it’s almost as if it’s their goal to make their own... sales team unsuccessful...it’s borderline crazy! Needless to say I am no longer there, but I find it difficult to believe the current leadership team (COO, Director) will be there much longer.

Advice to Management

If there’s a way to hit a reset button that would be best. Not much hope for who is in charge.

BSI America2019-04-13

May 6, 2019Human Resources

We appreciate your feedback. Our strategy and organization has shifted over the past couple of years with us introducing a new management structure, a new approach to market as well as adding some sectors. This brings with it many challenges but we focus more on the opportunities. These new sectors are active and our business development teams are building a strong pipeline. Yes, ineffective leaders can harm the bottom line. The good news is that our business in the US and across the Americas region continues to thrive as evidenced by our Q1 financials and business highlights. Our overall sales are up nearly 11% year over year so our team – from sales to leadership – are clearly doing something right. We are proud to employ a talented and diverse workforce at BSI that provides the expertise that brings us competitive advantage and innovate thought leadership. We look forward to driving BSI to future success.

"Poor Management"

Former Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at BSI America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great PTO benefits and the colleagues were nice/helpful

Cons

No Growth Micro Managing Poor Communication Company overloads you with work instead of hiring extra help No work/life balance

Advice to Management

There should be more flexibility, and management needs training on how to lead others to help grow each individual.

BSI America2019-02-25

March 18, 2019SVP Supply Chain

I am unhappy to hear about your feelings related to management, and I am sorry that you didn’t get the level of support you expected. Well being is a huge topic and encompasses many different aspects that influence how an individual feels while at work. We’ve taken steps to listen to our employees and understand there is room for improvement. Our ambition is to ensure that our people work in a supportive culture and an environment that will help to boost well being and it is for this reason that the organization has created global focus groups to help us improve in key areas – among them Management and Well being. In Supply Chain we have several examples in different departments that we can point to where people have grown in their roles. It is unfortunate that as an organization we didn’t sufficiently highlight these to demonstrate that there is growth opportunity within Supply Chain, but certainly also in the broader BSI framework. We encourage our employees to grow and learn and take advantage of our diverse business and footprint if they choose to seek other opportunities. The past 12-18 months have definitely seen quite a few changes across the entire organization as we transition to the next phase of development across our business. It is essential to have clear communication during periods of change, and from your comments we can do better to make certain our teams are aware of what is changing, why we are doing it, and the benefits for our clients and our employees. An important part of being a great place to work is listening to employees and use those comments to assess and make improvements. I wish you the best of luck in your new role and I hope that you find the environment you are looking for in a company.

"No Growth, Plenty of Frustration"

I worked at BSI America full-time for less than a year

Pros

Met some wonderful people and created lasting friendships. Very low stress role

Cons

Management is quick to point fingers, place blame and share their thoughts about other employees openly in a way that breeds resentment and distrust. Little to no upward growth potential. Promises for growth made but undelivered. Little to no direction from management about long term goals for the company or personally. Consistency across businesses would be nice especially in terms of flexibility. Not being... able to work from home makes little sense in 2019 with video chat capabilities phones and email. The need to be constantly watching what employees are doing breeds frustration and a lack of accountability.

Advice to Management

Develop a growth plan for employees. Foster an environment where employees can grow in their career as opposed to remaining stagnant. Keep feedback on employees between the manager and the employee in question. Don’t vent about other employees around the floor.

BSI America2019-03-12

April 1, 2019Internal Communications

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Your observations and concerns help us better understand how we can improve. Some of your assertions are quite serious and we are taking measures to address some of these matters. It is wonderful that you carry strong connections with you from your time with us. We are also grateful for the people who help make BSI a great place to work. With regard to your ‘Advice to Management’, growth potential and upward mobility is something our Leaders consider a key focus right now. Teams within HR and across Streams and Locations are creating career development programs and what it takes to grow/advance at BSI – a ‘hire to retire framework’ if you will. Also, we are proud of our new learning offering with MindTools which provides various diverse options around professional development. There are a number of our people who grow their career in BSI. BSI is proud of its efforts to create an inclusive, energetic workplace where employees are encouraged to innovate, rewarded on merit, and fostered to grow their skills and expertise. We expect our Managers to encourage employees to stretch their goals; at the same time Managers are responsible for fostering growth and guiding their employees through the journey. We are saddened to learn that you – as a former employee – do not feel we met these objectives. Finally, ‘working from home’ is a privilege that is available to employees with manager discretion/approval. Thanks again for your input and best of luck in your future endeavors.

"Learn to Conduct Exit Interviews"

I worked at BSI America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Potential for Synergies within the Organization

Cons

Upper Management Limits their Conversations to Key People

Advice to Management

Learn to talk to employees when they resign from the company. There usually is a good reason

BSI America2019-01-07

March 29, 2019Human Resources

Three words sum up BSI’s strategic focus: growth, investment and change. You are correct in that as we progress in evolving our organizational structure to share innovative ideas, best practices, and market opportunities, collaboration is at the heart of our approach. Your comments are appreciated, and I want to assure you that exit interviews are indeed one of the ways we gather feedback from former employees. Of course, these interviews are an option provided to employees who leave voluntarily. Our current practice is for Human Resources to conduct the meetings. We agree with you - nearly every exit interview can help identify opportunities for improvement within the company. Thank you for your service. Good luck in the future.

"Former Employee"

Current Employee - Sales in Herndon, VA

I have been working at BSI America full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice people, office, good culture,

Cons

Very disorganized Sales Force, no direction.

BSI America2018-12-21

April 1, 2019Human Resources

Thank you for sharing. Your input is important to us as it allows us to continue to grow as a company. We are glad you enjoy the culture and the people within BSI, especially as we continue to do what we can to improve. The past 12-18 months have definitely seen quite a few changes across the entire organization as we transition to the next phase of development across our business. Team structures have undergone considerable change to maximize business operations as well as the client experience. In our world of plan-do-check-act, we are continually assessing our efforts and implementing change which can understandably feel disorganized. I can ensure you that we do our best to think through every decision and its short and long-term effects on our employees. Thanks for the contributions you made when you were here. We appreciate your thoughts and wish you success along your journey.

"BSI has lost thier way"

I worked at BSI America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great training IF you can learn REALLY REALLY fast. They will demand almost instant results and you had better be a self-learner.

Cons

Ignore employees, poor pay & benefits compared to competitors, ignore customers, narcissistic management, not willing to supply resources to meet customer service objectives. Also unwilling to think like a customer and refuses to give pay raises to anyone other than VERY senior Managment even when there is massive profitability. Offer a profit share and years later don't follow through. VERY bad work /life... balance but they present the opposite. Unrealistic KPI's and withholding/reductions of earned commissions are symptoms of a management system, that's lost its way a long time ago and depends on its brand in the marketplace to sustain them going forward.

Advice to Management

With a 300% Sales Staff turnover in 4 years and not even hitting KPI's do a root cause analysis and turn your best ISO Auditors loose on your own organization. Also, take a long hard honest look in the mirror and ask yourselves as employees or customers if you'd want to be treated with the same level of arrogance and contempt that you dish out. Your people and Clients are far better then what you give them credit... for. Act like it!

BSI America2018-12-21

April 1, 2019Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to submit the review. We are disappointed to learn of your opinions but take your comments seriously as we continuously look for ways to enhance our culture. The past 12-18 months have definitely seen quite a few changes across the entire organization as we transition to the next phase of development across our business. It is essential to have clear communication during periods of change, and from your comments we can do better to make certain our teams are aware of what is changing, why we are doing it, and the benefits for our clients and our employees. I’m glad that you recognize the staff training and development opportunities at BSI. Embedding excellence to improve business performance is part of our mission statement at BSI. This is true for our clients and our employees. As a non-profit organization our profits are reinvested into the business; we are developing strategies to ensure that we focus our resources and efforts effectively across geographies in a competence based environment; and we continue to invest in our team members’ continuing professional development to expand their skills and ability to sell as evidenced by our new, recently launched learning offer. Our people and our clients are what we value most at BSI, and it is their voices that we consider of utmost importance. That is why we continuously survey our clients to understand their satisfaction with various elements of the customer experience. Our aggregate annual rating for 2018 is 9.03/10; and when there is a complaint we immediately apply our internal corrective action process to address the issue with full transparency to the client. We are pleased to serve all of our clients with a consistent, transparent operational delivery methodology which helps support why we have a retention rate of 92% in the US. And finally, we know that pay and benefits are important factors to our employees. That's why following our most recent employee engagement survey we have identified global focus areas to implement a market-competitive total reward package supported by a performance culture and career & development opportunities. We have committed investment this year, adding resources to analyze our position in the market and bring forth recommendation to help create and shape priorities and action both locally and globally. We appreciate your thoughts and wish you success along your journey

"Old-fashioned practices; management out of touch with employees, only chases profit and does not appreciate employees"

Training Coordinator in Herndon, VA

I have been working at BSI America for more than a year

Pros

The coworkers are good, diverse staff, benefits (not pay), company events, and bagels on Friday. Half of the office is not freezing in the summer.

Cons

There is too much manual work that could be automated if only the company had invested in the tools modern companies use. Things are done backwards and in old-fashioned ways, the processes are clunky or non-existent. Promised improvements take months or years. The management is mostly focused on the bottom line and relies on employees to improve things with the little resources, time and authority they have. This... is a "figure out how to do your job yourself" kind of environment. HR works in the interests of management. If you need health based accommodations, forget it. The open floor seating plan allows for no privacy.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees's feedback, don't just collect it. Value customer service and invest in the resources (more people, better software, streamlined processes) that enable your employee provide proper customer service. Invest in state of the art software and developers services to customize systems to your business needs. Do not cannibalize departments there are often not enough people for the amount of manual... work that needs to be done.

BSI America2018-11-28

March 29, 2019Internal Communications

Thank you for your engagement and taking the time to share your feedback. Hearing from current employees is a great way to identify areas of improvement and to make our company a good place to work. I am glad that you are enjoying the culture and the people. Yes, I think mother nature and office facility management could stand to confer every now and again. Temperatures could stand to be regulated a bit more. Definitely keep a sweater or cover-up on standby. While business growing pains are common, it doesn’t make them any less painful. And outgrowing technology can be frustrating. BSI is no different. The good news: BSI is investing in systems to deliver simplified and joined up processes, making it easier to do business. There has already been some strong demonstration of progress this year but more will be rolled out in 2019. Our CEO has defined his vision and shares the Program on the company intranet, and there are opportunities for employees to follow the progress and keep up to date. Innovation and progress isn’t just about the large projects – it often comes from the small, impactful ideas. Our “Innovate@BSI” initiative is an opportunity and forum for employees to share ideas and collaborate. But for it to be successful employees must feel compelled to speak up and drive propositions forward. But for it to be successful employees must feel compelled to speak up and drive propositions forward. I encourage you to contact our Group Innovation Director by email with your suggestions. Thank you again for your thoughts, and I appreciate your hard work. As for privacy, please feel free to use any of the conference rooms we have available to the office. And, we have also added a few small comforts to our Wellness Room.

Found 81 reviews