BSI Group Manager Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Found 38 reviews

2.3
BSI Group CEO Howard Kerr
Howard Kerr

"Ready, Aim... Aim... Aim....... Aim.......... Ready, Aim...."

Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England

I have been working at BSI Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Flexible Working - Lots of industry specific knowledge. - Great people to work alongside.

Cons

- No real strategy for development, even though its constantly talked about and refreshed every 6 months or so. - Never seen an organisation so disjointed - Investment into improving services is non-existent or inefficient... or both.

Advice to Management

- Show your experienced employee's that they're valued with actual career progression. - You're hemorrhaging knowledge and talent because the upper echelons of the business refuse to take note and reward accordingly.

BSI Group2019-03-15

"Bullying place to work at"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Chiswick, England

I have been working at BSI Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Canteen food is ok and staff is friendly

Cons

Place is full of bullies and lack of good managers and HR. Life gets difficult for you if you don’t do extra favours for your seniors like making them teas and coffees, paying for their lunches. You are constantly put on your toes by CTO COO and HR. If you are sick they chase you hard to come back and provide evidence for your sickness be it 2 days. On your anual leave you are chased frequently by calls and emails... from managent. Horrible company to work for, a prison sounds more attractive than to working here!

Advice to Management

CEO needs to replace key people CTO , COO , HR and other seniors are useless and it’s a big group of bullies

BSI Group2019-03-09

BSI Group Response

March 15, 2019

Thank you for posting your review. We value all feedback and that’s one of the reasons why we are such a keen supporter of Glassdoor. I’m sorry that you appear to be experiencing some really quite negative behaviours whilst working here at BSI. Please be assured that we have ...

"Client Manager"

Current Employee - Client Manager

I have been working at BSI Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Generally, Client Managers comprise a close network of colleagues who understand the challenges of the role and provide support to each other. Also, the role allows for some Client Managers to work 4 days or even 3 days per week, with the associated reduction in salary.

Cons

Despite being central to the delivery of its assurance services, BSI does not make the role of Client Manages easy. Rather, BSI places many hoops and hurdles in the way, which makes the job more difficult than it needs to be. In my experience, BSI’s strapline of “making excellence a habit” is not borne out by BSI’s own working practices. BSI expects full-time Client Managers to conduct client-visits on 5 days... one week and 4-days the next week, with an allowance of one day per fortnight for admin duties. That one day is meant to provide enough time for planning all the assessment visits for the coming fortnight, including researching clients, checking the outcomes from previous assessments, reviewing upcoming visit plans, and checking locations and travelling times. Also, that allowance of one day per fortnight is meant to be enough to cover other tasks such as completing expenses claims, answering e-mails, and dealing with any car-related matters. I have found BSI’s working practices and IT systems to be unwieldy and unnecessarily complex. In particular, Client Managers are required to use the eReport system which is time-consuming and fiddly to use, especially on the small screen of a laptop. The strain of using eReport is exacerbated by the time pressures placed on Client Managers to complete reports on the day of each visit, whether at the client’s premises or at home in the evening. Meanwhile, Client Managers’ diaries and the allocation of jobs is managed through the clumsy Point Global system. In theory, BSI has a policy that Client Managers are consulted before being assigned to jobs which exceed some pre-set travelling limit. However, I have never been consulted, despite regularly being assigned to client-visits with one-way journeys of 2 hours or more. Rather, I have often felt like a pawn who is at the disposal of the regional manager and central planning team. Client Managers are required to maintain timesheets to record time spent on client-facing work and travelling. In practice, Client Managers often do not record the full time needed to prepare for assessments and populate the eReport system, as doing so would result in clients being charged extra and Client Managers being questioned. Also, I have experienced Client Managers being challenged for recording high levels of travelling time. Based on guidance from regional managers, leaving home early to build in contingency for heavy traffic and, thereby, arriving early at clients’ premises is a personal choice. Time spent sitting in the car waiting to enter a client’s premises is treated as the Client Manager’s personal time. Alternatively, the Client Manager is expected to use this time to plan for upcoming assessments or complete admin tasks (using a laptop in a car is not easy or comfortable). BSI requires new Client Managers to complete a considerable amount of training, including a range of on-line modules and tests. However, a significant amount of the training materials is out of date and fails to cover important practical points which a Client Manager needs to know. Meanwhile, I have found locating basic information very difficult using BSI’s intranet and associated systems. Also, new Client Managers are all put through the same standard training regime, irrespective of previous experience or qualifications. Client Managers report into a regional manager. Perhaps my experience is particularly unfortunate, but I have never been able to gain appropriate guidance or support from the regional manager. Based on working at various companies, management at BSI is probably the worst that I have ever encountered, in terms of operational ability and people-management skills. As well as “making excellence a habit”, BSI claims “customer first” as an underlying tenet of the business. However, as already indicted, delivering quality services to clients is made difficult by BSI’s processes and practices. Also, I have seen clients being treated with an offhand disregard, with changes being made to assessment dates which had been agreed with clients months in advance, in order to meet the regional manager's own agenda. I have also come across some very unhelp central staff who seem to lack a basic understanding or care about the customer’s perspective. Rather than putting customers first, BSI is one of the least customer-focused companies which I have come across. Regrettably, BSI does not appear interested in receiving honest feedback about failings within BSI’s frameworks and systems. From my own and others’ experience, any attempt by Client Managers to raise issues has resulted in individuals being labelled as negative or difficult. While working as a Client Manager, obtaining another job is not easy. The practice of filling Client Managers’ diaries with assessment-visits and allowing only one day a fortnight for admin duties means that attending job interviews is virtually impossible to arrange. As a result, Client Managers can become trapped. BSI expects Client Managers to express pride in working for the company. Indeed, some Client Managers think highly of the job and the benefits delivered to clients. Personally, my feelings are more akin to embarrassment.

Advice to Management

From my experience, BSI is not a “learning organisation”, with no meaningful desire to receive or act upon critical feedback. Rather than being for the benefit of BSI’s management, my comments are offered for anyone who may be considering the role of Client Manager.

BSI Group2018-12-24

"Great team environment and place to make a difference"

Marketing Manager in Milton Keynes, England

I have been working at BSI Group for more than 3 years

Pros

The business cares about personal development, well-being, growth and innovation. There's an open and collaborative team culture with passionate people whose work feels valued.

Cons

Not all teams in the company feel as valued. On-going change in priorities creates difficult and unreasonable expectations from some of senior management.

BSI Group2018-11-07

"LOL EVERYONE IS LEAVING!!!"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Milton, East of England, England

I worked at BSI Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Have a free car park

Cons

Everything except free car park

Advice to Management

Knock the building down, get rid of all management and start again

BSI Group2018-11-20

"Slowly deteriorating and ruining careers in process"

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at BSI Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

there are absolutely no pros. Directors always cover each other’s back until someone further up decides to fire them, then the same directors blame the person that left/was let go for all the huge shortcomings.

Cons

In a nutshell: Lower pay than industry standards, higher expectations, no support or understanding of work flor from executives, high turnover rate of employees (including execs and management), non-existent HR, unrealistically low budgets. Your first impression of BSI will be full of bright smiles; that impression changes very fast once you are in your first few meetings where you find out how unrealistic the... expectations are, then comes the drive from upper management to make you do what they want you to do (beyond your pay grade). HR turns their back on verbal abuse and sexism/racism. You will be left working long hours with low pay and wondering what the benefit of working for a global company is

Advice to Management

Stop lying to employees and pretend to be a white glove approach company. Excellence is never achieved let alone it being a habit. Stop investing in things you don’t understand

BSI Group2018-09-26

"Great place to work for graduates!"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Milton Keynes, England

I have been working at BSI Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I joined BSI nearly 5 years ago as part of the first Sales Graduate Programme and have never looked back! The business doesn't hold back in rewarding and recognising good / hard work and if you put the work in, its well worth it. The training I was provided with when joining was very good and provided me with a good platform to build on, both in terms of the products / services I was selling and in terms of sales... skills training. The programme has changed and developed over the years and it now gives the graduates a greater opportunity to experience the 'One BSI' approach and understand our customers' journey in greater detail - this is something I wish was available to me when I started, but I think it speaks volumes that they have made improvements based on the feedback they received. I have made a decision to stay in sales, and there are many opportunities to develop your career in sales (more so now than when I first joined). There are also options to develop your career in other areas of the business which is great.

Cons

We should use the phone more often - it is too easy to get caught up sending emails.

BSI Group2018-05-17

"Started as a dream opportunity but then...."

Former Employee - Regional Manager in London, England

I worked at BSI Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Bsi offers excellent opportunities to achieve and to excel... if you toe the party line !!

Cons

The organisation is still too stuck in old fashioned structures, practices and principles where you are expected to "shut up, accept and proceed". I was effectively bullied out of the institute due to a poor HR/ management structure when I started to ask the question " what if ?...". This was despite being the most successful BDM / account manager within my team, over a period over of 8 years.

Advice to Management

Listen and then seriously listen again to your managers. Some of their opinions may not be pleasant but some could be current and advantageous!.

BSI Group2018-04-12

"Don’t consider if you want a career! Won’t last on reputation alone."

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Milton Keynes, England

I worked at BSI Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Canteen staff friendly. My team I was in were great, even if they were lacking focus. Clean environment. Annual customer excellence awards alright if you can get past the constant telling off at all levels for talking at your tables.

Cons

Management are too sales and not enough people focused despite what they always say. Look at all the other reviews on here. “that are not from HR”. Bad leadership from some self absorbed managers who have been promoted due to length of service rather than capability.

Advice to Management

One word.... Disappointing.

BSI Group2018-05-13

"Should loosen the leash..."

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager

I worked at BSI Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Excellent CEO - Stable company (over 100 years in business) - Pension plan - Good benefits & RSP matching - Excellent Training program/Continuous learning opportunities

Cons

- Recent change to management; now more micro/controlling - Not much guidance or direction from management - More emphasis and discussion on performance reviews is needed - Lack of creativity - Slow moving organization - Politics - Slow moving processes

Advice to Management

You have some really talented people working for you! Make sure to show trust and respect vs micromanaging these professionals.

BSI Group2017-12-28