Babylon Health Reviews

Updated 7 May 2021

3.1
Babylon Health CEO and Founder Ali Parsa
Ali Parsa
Pros
  • "I was drawn to Babylon because it is a "mission driven" company(in 56 reviews)

• "Great team and lots of smart people(in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • "I have had no issues since starting at babylon(in 59 reviews)

• "Women are largely underrepresented in my team (although it is nice to see many women in senior management positions)(in 21 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "Best company to work with :-)"

5.0
    Senior Android Developer

I worked at Babylon Health

Pros

I worked here for 2 years until now. I have seen the company growth.They give flexibility mainly for women.Its like a family.Technically everyones very strong.They share knowledge.The Team i worked with were excellent.I am proud to be part of such a company :-)

Cons

I don't see any cons.

"Abject failure"

I have been working at Babylon Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

Not much. You get to work from home. Lots of very capable colleagues have left since last year. These kind of sudden departure is very bad for product development continuity.

Cons

Office bullying is pervasive. Too much politicking going on that people who can contribute significant to product improvement are not able to concentrate on their job. Market adoption and user engagement are getting worse. The number of users unsubscribing now exceed those who subscribed. There were more than 10,000 app deletion in a single day. The stats are frightening. Clients and providers are extremely unhappy with product complaints. It's really hard to make believe that the company can survive like this. If you really want to work in a telemedicine sector, please consider other much more reputable and reliable startups.

"Stay away if you’re US-based"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Babylon Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are a couple of amazing souls that also work at Babylon. Shared suffering is often cathartic.

Cons

1. The CEO is a poor leader and fosters a toxic work culture that trickles down through each department. For a company that wants to help people this CEO expresses little care for people. Example: He disrespects his own team and cuts them off on all-hands meetings. 2. Over the last few years they have delayed and misrepresented equity compensation to incoming new hires. Many US employees got together in 2019 and 2020 to compare equity promises vs awards and found many red flags, misrepresentations and continually changing language designed primarily to favor the company. If you politely ask about it or complain they respond with fiercely defensive legal language as if you’re going into a court battle - these types of responses stopped most employees from bringing it up at all. Several good people simply left the company over it. 3. Babylon is a U.K. centric company so don’t expect much career advancement or autonomy / authority if you‘re US-based.

Continue reading

"Some smart and amazing people working hard to make a difference"

5.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England

I worked at Babylon Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

I loved the people and the mission. Every time you spoke to someone from a different team you would be really impressed by the work they're doing, particularly in Rwanda and 24h GP access in the UK - and some of the testimonials from patients and clinicians were incredibly compelling. The company was maturing and bringing in lots of specialists, rather than relying on very capable generalists, which meant that it was improving across each section of the business. Work was fast-paced and exciting, the challenges were ones you relished.

Cons

Rather than a con, it's something to bear in mind that it was hard to take a breather because there was so much going on. Our team was managed very well, but there was so much work that we were continuously growing the team.

Continue reading
  5. "Great team, autonomy, flexibility"

Current Employee - Project Lead in London, England, England

I have been working at Babylon Health full-time

Pros

I have been at Babylon over a year now and I found my team very helpful, focused and supportive. I have been given enough autonomy so that I do not feel like I am being micromanaged. Compensation is good and I feel like I am being invested in. The company is flexible in their ways of working

Cons

I would like to see the Snr Leadership team to be more aligned and to have a crystal clear vision

"Neutral, depends on a team you join"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Babylon Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

Will try to be as neutral as possbile and skip the Cons part and write everything up here. Criteria I will use: Mission, People, Culture, Management, Product, Company Outlook - Mission: without a doubt amazing - People: I'd say lower average bound. Worked with a few really smart engineers, but a lot are just bad/incopetent/slow/unmotivated/political (yes political engineers..) - Culture: relaxed, but I guess depends on the team you're in and how high up in the ranks you exist. Working hour wise, again depends on the team, but really anything goes. I've seen people doing 9-4.30pm without any complaints and those people weren't great performers either - Management: again, depends.. I've seen both, good and bad. I have seen some tech leads that should have been junior/senior engineers and of course the other way around. Same with engineering managers and engineering directors. - Product: I am a bit more opinionated on this topic. I think if all the products were spun up to separate startups only GP at hand would survive, everything else is just not working. Having said that the product suite overall has potential to be great, as it does collect data about your health journey in various stages, ie data collected when you're healthy (health check, monitor), data collected when you're sick (AI, GP at hand) , and with all this data better diagnostics and healthier lifestyle decisions can be made - Company Outlook: this is where I'm the most sceptical. I think Babylon has a valuation of a tech company (it raised 500mln recently) and is valued ~2bn. I would argue that it's not a tech company. First of all, the only product that is great (in my opinion) is GP at hand, which has a high cost base (doctors, support, engineers to support the system), AI/ML stuff just does not work, even though there are smart people working on this. Let's be honest, GP at hand is nothing new - it has been around in the US for some time, it does not change the healthcare experience much (you can get an appointment quicker, but the doctor consultation is also much more limited) thus there's nothing really exciting about the tech. So what we have is a great mission, average people, average culture, average management, weak product and hard times ahead. I cannot be anything, but sceptical about the future of the company. I hope it succeeds because the world needs a better/integrated health care system, will that be Babylon? Time will tell.

Cons

Check the Pros section as I like to create my own rules ;)

Continue reading

"Good environment, challenging work, space to shine"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Babylon Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great People: Employees are smart, helpful and caring. I've worked closely with many colleagues in different squads and tribes, and really enjoyed working with everyone. There's a strong focus on sharing knowledge and enabling people's voices to be heard. - Large impact: We're continuing to grow our user-base at a high rate, which means your work helps a large number of people. The experience of real users is generally very positive. - Career Advancement: Many of my colleagues have been promoted, with some gaining more leadership roles. There is a renewed focus on recognizing employees performance, and the on-going changes to the review process give me confidence this will continue. - Compensation: Salary for London Engineering is solid, even better when the stock scheme is included. I can't speak for other areas of the business.

Cons

- Shifting Team Structures: I have been through at least 3 major re-orgs. These are preceded by lack of clarity on objectives, and followed by lack of cohesion between the resulting teams. As a company scales this will happen, but we need to be more careful when and how this is done. - Shifting Focus: Some areas of the business have become slowly neglected over time, either through technology change (i.e. mobile) or due to leaders leaving and not being replaced. Lack of domain knowledge and lack of support will hurt us in the future.

Continue reading
  8. "Inspiring mission, hard work"

I have been working at Babylon Health full-time

Pros

Great colleagues - inspiring mission - challenged every day at work - never boring!

Cons

The company moves very quickly and you have to keep up and stay ahead. It can be tiring and stressful even if you enjoy your role for the most part.

Continue reading

"Great mission - very poor execution"

I worked at Babylon Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great mission - there is a sense of "we are changing the world" and people work very hard to make that happen Some great talent - if there is anything they do right is recruit the right people You can move around if you want - there are quite a few opportunities but be prepared to have to know people to do so The founder is great at selling the vision

Cons

- every director/executive that I know either got fired or left - there is extremely poor management - the people at the bottom are fighting their way to be able to work on something impactful but never allowed to actually finish - there is a new strategy every 3 months with big talk at company stand-ups only to be followed by an extremely poor execution where people at the top are more concerned with who leads rather than doing anything - which actually results in nothing, confusion and restarting - the sad thing is that the actual strategy and vision is often brilliant and will really change people's lives if executed accordingly - start hiring some doers - every new leader that comes in it's seen as a breathe of fresh air, only to know that 2 months in their first thing they want to do is "restructuring the teams" - take the hint, the structure of the teams IS NOT the problem - I have been there for 2 years and experiences 4-5 restructures - there is no innovation - anything that has potential gets killed because how dare an MVP not revolutionise healthcare? - products get left at early stages without the change to be proven out

"Churn and Burn"

I worked at Babylon Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Talented and hard-working colleagues across the business. -Mission sounds nice and is easy to rally around.

Cons

-Volatile org structure and lack of clear strategy/objectives combined with inconsistent accountability contributes to excessive drama and a toxic environment. -Health benefits and salary are not competitive for a company supposedly valued at 2b. -Poor work-life balance. 10+ hour days are the norm with no OT compensation leading to burnout as evidenced by high employee turn-over. Not great for your mental or physical health. -Lack of investment into employee development or education. -'Infinitely delayed' promises - e.g. structured employee reviews, referral bonuses, raises, career development opportunities - never happened. -Healthcare experience is not appreciated unless you are applying for a provider role. Lack of executive/enterprise healthcare experience at the leadership level.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 407 Reviews