Base2 Solutions Employee Reviews about "base2"

Updated Jul 14, 2020

Found 11 of over 64 reviews

4.5
Base2 Solutions Executive Team Mike Haldeman
Mike Haldeman
0 Rating
Pros
  • "More than lip service is paid to work-life balance(in 13 reviews)

• "Challenging projects, great people to collaborate with, culture of constant learning/growing, flexible work schedules to some degree(in 6 reviews)

• Cons
  • "This is not really a negative, but be aware if considering Base2(in 11 reviews)

• "I'm usually at the client site (due to my job role)(in 6 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "base2"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Base2 Is Not What It Used To Be

Jul 14, 2020 - Senior Quality Assurance Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Profit Sharing Bonus is nice. Work-from-home flexibility is nice (now due to Covid). USED TO BE a great place to work when the company was smaller and could operate on their own. Now that they were bought by Belcan and are under their management - HUGE difference. Better read the Belcan company reviews on Glassdoor.

Cons

Company process for Job Performance/Reviews is terrible. They surprise you with criticism for small one-time incidents without any prior discussion with you. They don't train their supervisors on how to be a Leader. They have lots of "Talks" about Leadership - but they DON'T "Walk the Talk". People seem to leave for lack of opportunity for growth. Before hiring in with this company in 2015, I worked for a top corporation as a Lead Quality Assurance Engineer - leading an international group of 10 testers on large automated test projects (unfortunately the company moved). At Base2, I worked by myself on manual testing - I never had any growth opportunity (I think I moved backwards). This company also does a lot of "reorganizations" - every year I had a different supervisor.

5 people found this review helpful

EVP & GM

I am sorry about the experience you had at Base2. Although it is true that Base2 was acquired by Belcan, it doesn’t sound like your concerns are related to the acquisition. Although most acquisitions will result in some changes, for the most part there has been very little change with the Base2 acquisition. I hope this provides some perspective on the items you have highlighted. - Base2 continues to make the list of one of the best places to work, even as recently as June of this year. But we aren’t resting on those laurels and we recognize there continues to be room for improvement. Performance reviews are challenging, and we have worked hard to ensure that our review process is constructive for all involved. As part of our effort to continually improve in all aspects of our company, we have provided our leadership with training on performance management, and will continue to provide such training in the future. Our preference would be that no employee first hear about a concern in a written review. None of us would want to be treated that way and I believe we strive to ensure that doesn’t happen. - We do provide formal training to our leadership team and we work hard to continuously train and mentor all staff. We aren’t perfect, but we certainly try to be “Walking the Talk”. - We hire an experienced workforce for consulting. It is what our customers need. Most of our staff held leadership roles at previous companies and use those skills to help our customers solve their most challenging problems. We try to be very clear when we hire staff that there is a wide variety of work that we might be doing. It is also true that we are a small company. We have been continuously growing during our 8 year history and that has provided new opportunities for many of our staff. - We will never treat employees like a number. We are careful to make sure that any separation is a last resort that is only exercised when there are no other options. I am sorry that your time at Base2 didn’t work out. Ron Hopkins, EVP & GM

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great Place to Work - Hard Work

May 7, 2020 - Senior Consultant in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Constant focus on what's right for the people They mean it when they say "People are our most valued resource". Really good people - I enjoy the people, and am proud to be part of the team Freedom to take the initiative AND rewarded for taking the initiative

Cons

It's very hard work, but reasonable hours. (This is not really a negative, but be aware if considering Base2.) I'm usually at the client site (due to my job role). Some of the client's environments well, suck.

2 people found this review helpful

CEO

We try to keep the company as flat as possible. You won’t find a culture of micro-management at Base2, we couldn’t be successful if we did. We hire the best, empower them, and make sure there is a team of people to support them when/if they need it. It has worked since Base2 was formed, and we don’t envision any changes going forward. Thanks for the review and glad you are seeing those principles in practice.

3. The latest conversations about Tech India

Join the conversation on
      Join the conversation on
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Big company benefits; Small company culture

Dec 26, 2019 - Advisory Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of really interesting work, often on genuinely hard problems. More than lip service is paid to work-life balance. Low drama environment with great people who ask "How can I help?," instead of "Why do you want that?"

Cons

Not a good fit unless you're flexible on the type and location of your work. Most Base2 engineers work at customer's locations, so commutes can vary widely from year to year. Consultancy jobs require getting up to speed rapidly, often across a wide range of technologies; expect to fumble in the dark more than you're use to.

Be the first to find this review helpful

CEO

We take a lot of pride in keeping the drama low. Whether in the Base2 office or a customer site, we have found focus and calm is the quickest path to get a project back on track. Consulting isn’t for everyone, and you have accurately captured some of the Pros and Cons. We try to make sure that every recruited individual understands the dynamics before they join Base2. No one wins when an employee is surprised after they start. :-) Thank you for the review.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

One of the few places that you enjoy to work at

Dec 2, 2015 - Quality Assurance Associate in Bellevue, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very good Manager (that I reported to). Good company and very friendly staff (I am talking about week 1). One of the few companies that understand work-life balance. After 4 years at Google, Base2 is on same level for me when it comes to 'how happy every morning thinking about going to work'. Very friendly team members that are always enthu to help you out with any info you need. The industry my project is in (Aero) needs lot of time to ramp up. But, the team support made the ramp up quick and fast and easy.

Cons

Driving upto client place is the only negative thing. But again, allowing flexible timing by Base2 has made the long slow commute avoidable.

1 person found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great place to work!

Oct 15, 2015 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

I’ve worked with Base2 for several years and can unequivocally say it’s a great place to work. Employees and customers are the top priority and it shows. There are a lot of very talented folks that work hard and can be counted on to deliver. There is a sense of urgency to what we do, but an atmosphere of calm and balance, which makes for a meaningful and satisfying experience overall. People are kept informed and involved and the company puts a lot of effort into creating opportunities for people to connect and have fun.

Cons

No real cons. Every company has things to work on and Base2 has done a good job at identifying where they need to improve and investing the resources to actually do something about it.

1 person found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Base2 Rocks!

Sep 14, 2015 - Senior Consultant in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people! It's a blast to work with such smart and motivated people. Great to have people who you bounce ideas off of and get help when you need it. I love that I don't have to worry about slackers or team mates not cutting it. I feel empowered to just do the right thing for the customer and don't need to ask permission or jump through hoops.The administration is very focused on helping the consultants. They not only stay out of the way, but really helps! The total compensation is good. The benefits are now competitive. This was an historic issue, but they kept making them better every year. What company has benefits that keep getting better?

Cons

It's hard work. You customers rely on you. Your teammates rely on you. (However, the hours are reasonable and there is a good mechanism to ensure that people aren't over doing it. It's a clear that this a long game not about this week's billable hours.) I rated Base2 a five on career opportunities, because technically and as a consultant there's lot's of opportunities. Not the place for someone who wants to be Executive VP of watching others work.

2 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Intern

An Internship at Base2 Solutions

Jun 11, 2015 - Software Engineering Intern in Bellevue, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I am a current college student and just recently finished my Sophomore year. I was recommended to Base2 by a friend and was quickly in contact with a recruiter at Base2, they kept me up to date on the process and let me know if anything changed, it was a great experience working with people that really cared about you during the application and interview process. My interview process at Base2 consisted of a couple of phone interviews and one in-person interview in Bellevue. The phone interviews were very casual and comfortable, mostly asking me about my background and what I was interested in, things that I was passionate about. I was also able to ask any questions that I had about the company, and going into my in-person interview I had an idea in my head about what Base2 was going to be like. Being in the office completely met the high expectations I had set for the company, the community was just as described, it was welcoming, and very friendly. It being early-on in my career I haven't had a large amount of experience with interviews but Base2 made the process as easy and comforting as possible. I got the chance to talk to and interview with a good number of people on the team. I was introduced to a former intern to talk about what an internship looked like at Base2 from someone who experienced it first hand. I was able to meet with the people I would likely be working with if hired and heard about the things that Base2 was involved in. It was a truly enjoyable experience. I'm currently finishing off my first month working for Base2, and I can say I've thoroughly enjoyed the time here so far. I met with my lead on the first day to talk about what I was hoping to get out of the experience, and so far I've exceeded those expectations only 4 weeks in. The internship has been very hands on, and I've worked on a number of projects already. Some of which have involved a large portion of the team here at Base2. The environment is in no way pressuring, and I haven't received any harsh deadlines I'm expected to meet. Instead the team has been encouraging and constructive, helping me to reach my goals when necessary and expressing interest in the progress that I've made, they really understand that this is a learning experience just as much as it is a job. Overall I'm excited to see what I'll be working on for the rest of the summer and would recommend looking into Base2 if in any way interested.

Cons

I can't say I've had any negative experiences in my time working for Base2 as of yet. The one area of discomfort I've had is with the free roam I've had on some projects, working independently on projects where most of the specifications have been left up to me. However, as much as this is a discomfort, it has also led to the majority of my success here, so in turn I don't think it would be fair to label it a con in any sense of the word.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    9. 4.0
      Former Employee

Smart people and innovative solutions

Jan 19, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The management are all very transparent and friendly. Their consultants are smart and dedicated. Overall a good place to work.

Cons

They needed to diversify their clients. Perhaps better benefits for their developers as well. Some of the clients' work sites were less than appealing, although I realize that is beyond Base2's control.

4 people found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

An excellent company where people are its biggest and best resource, and with the culture and attitude that supports the

Sep 15, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The best part of Base2 is that everyone is your colleague and peer - the management structure is very flat and lightweight. While you of course have a lead/manager that you report to, it does not feel cumbersome and bureaucratic. You know that everyone is always on your team, and you are on a first-name, casual basis with everyone including the top leadership. The culture is quite open-minded and flexible and encourages self-development and tries to fit you into work that you are interested in. You're encouraged to develop new skills and take on new responsibilities. Great for self-directed learners. Work-life balance is excellent. Rarely do I feel pressured to put in long overtime hours or the need to prioritize work over personal life. Crunch time happens, but it is very infrequent. The pool of customers and projects has been growing and getting more and more interesting lately, which is a great trajectory to be on. Benefits have improved rather dramatically in the past 2-3 years.

Cons

The business of consulting of course comes with variability. Sometimes projects are fantastic with awesome teams and awesome customers and you wish they would never end. Other times the projects are more humdrum with difficult customers that are harder to get excited about, but they never last forever - especially if you keep regular and open communications with your lead. Internal HR and finance processes and systems are a little old school and could use more automation, but this has been improving since Base2 was recently given autonomy to manage and improve our own processes separate from their sister/parent company. That said, the HR and finance people do a great job and are always easy to work with. I've never had any issues that took more than an email or a phone call to sort out. Base2 has been trying to expand its business beyond just Aerospace/Boeing with some success, but it has been a slow process. It's a difficult task that I do not envy, but would love to see more progress in this arena. The expertise in developing and managing complex systems and software could be applied to a much wider selection of industries, but it's tough to break in. Relatedly, to move into a management position requires a certain amount of "sales" and finding new business. I use quotes because typically new business is evolved from previous projects and clients, but it still requires some hustling. The often distributed nature of the business sometimes can make connecting with coworkers difficult when some people are in the main office and some are in various client offices.

3 people found this review helpful
    11. 5.0

Operations

Apr 17, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work life balance - Base2 strongly supports their employee's needs to have a life outside of the work place. There are times when more hours are required to meet deliverables, but it doesn't happen all the time. Culture - Base2 is very committed to having a culture where people want to work. From the little perks of an office espresso machine and free snacks and sodas, to encouraging social gatherings both in or out of the office. This keeps everyone more connected and people really care about one another. Accessible management - Base2 doesn't put a big emphasis on titles and upper management is very approachable. I wouldn't hesitate to ask for help from any of the leaders. Time-off benefits - Base2 recently increased paid vacation time to three weeks per year.

Cons

Base2 is getting bigger and with that comes growing pains such as increasing the infrastructure to accommodate all the new employees, (i.e. expanding office space - which is in the works, review operational processes and adjust as necessary to adapt to the company growth.

5 people found this review helpful