Best Version Media Employee Reviews about "bvm"

Updated Nov 30, 2021

Found 122 of over 595 reviews

4.4
Best Version Media Chief Executive Officer Kevin O’ Brien
Kevin O’ Brien
Pros
  • "BVM has an excellent training program(in 122 reviews)

• "The level of widespread publisher success is great to see(in 81 reviews)

• Cons
  • "No salary until you make minimum sales to support the magazine for at least a year(in 57 reviews)

• "Too much spotlight on veteran publishers with big deals(in 42 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "bvm"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

If being successful was easy, everyone would do it and there would be no money in it.

Nov 30, 2021 - Division Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people, Culture, training and support at every level. All I have via education is a high school diploma, yet I make more money as a publisher with BVM than my doctor or attorney .... by a LOT.

Cons

If you are not willing to do the daily work and be disciplined in achieving your goal than this is NOT for you. If you want to follow the simple orthodoxy (Monday - Friday 8am to 5pm) that the teach then you can change your life, finances, family and community with positive product that people love than this IS for you.

1 person found this review helpful

Media Relations

We proudly work with people of all backgrounds who have found great success working with BVM. Thanks for the great review!

2. 5.0
      KEY NOT FOUND: jobLine.self_employ-current, more than 5 years

A solid opportunity

Nov 3, 2021 - Publisher in Philadelphia, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

My husband and I teamed up with BVM in late 2016 and now publish two community magazines. I appreciate the business model because it allows us to shine a bright light on the good in the local community, help local businesses, while having flexibility in our schedules and growing our income. I like working with local businesses, helping align their marketing and content with their goals, and seeing them succeed. I also enjoy being engaged within my community, making great connections between the people I’ve met throughout this process, and doing something that makes people genuinely happy. Over the 5 years since we began working on our first magazine, BVM developed several tools to help streamline our process, provided more we can sell, and made our marketing tools even more effective for clients. Throughout the pandemic they continuously offered ways to help us reach out to our prospects when we were unable to meet in person, and provided us resources to help close sales. They genuinely seemed interested in helping our existing clients (and us) weather the challenges. Overall, for anyone who enjoys sales, marketing, and talking with small business owners, it’s a model where you can find flexibility, fulfillment, and uncapped earnings.

Cons

This business is simple, yet not necessarily easy. It’s primarily a sales job. The most challenging aspect of the business is making sure you are always building a pipeline of local businesses that care about your community, then inspiring them to become sponsors. Generating sales is what fuels the business, and being involved in your community can help you meet great businesses and develop engaging content. This takes time and positive energy. It is not for everyone, and not everyone is for it. If you cringe at the idea of selling, this will be a very difficult business to succeed in. If you love helping small businesses get the word out, and are willing to put in the effort to meet them, it can be a financially rewarding and fulfilling career.

Media Relations

Thank you so much for the amazing review! The BVM Publisher opportunity is certainly challenging, but the many positive aspects of the role make it very rewarding. Our Publishers bring neighbors together every month with a beautiful magazine that connects businesses to local residents. Working with BVM means uncapped earning potential and the opportunity to build your own successful business in the community.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Compassionate Leaders Help You Become Your Best Version of Yourself

Sep 23, 2021 - Magazine Publisher in Phila, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

BVM has an excellent training program. If you follow it, and can self motivate and focus, you can make a very good salary and even gave free time and a flexible schedule.

Cons

No salary until you make minimum sales to support the magazine for at least a year—usually takes 2-3 months. You must be self disciplined, motivated and hungry. The better you focus, the better you’ll be.

Media Relations

Thanks for the review! BVM offers training, resources and a flexible work environment to help our people find success.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Pros

Leadership from the top down is of the highest quality. Training is swift, effective and highly beneficial (both initially and ongoing). This organization breathes success daily through accountability, high-standards and genuine good people to work with, who generously support you all along the way. I have always looked for that perfect opportunity to prove to myself and the rest of the world that I am as good as I think I am—BVM has provided me with that opportunity, essentially offering me a highly-rewarding personal franchise where I can be my own boss, where there is no ceiling on what I can earn and learn, and where the only thing I have to put down up-front is my own sweat-equity.

Cons

You are essentially starting your own franchise as a local publisher from scratch. It is essential that you have both the discipline to motivate and move yourself daily, and have the finances available to support yourself for anywhere from 3-6 months (depending on your sales experience) until you get your first publication up and running. There are some nice and generous bonus opportunities from BVM along the way to your first publication that genuinely help—but still: be prepared to work hard for very little pay for the first few months. It’s exponentially worth it in the end. Other than that—if you believe in yourself enough to make a solid commitment to your future, it can be an amazing opportunity.

Media Relations

Thank you so much for the detailed review about the Publisher opportunity! BVM offers uncapped earning potential alongside endless training and resources. It's a very rewarding role for anyone who is up to the challenge. We're committed to helping every person we work with achieve their career goals.

5. 5.0

LOVE working with the BVM team - amazing opportunity

Apr 20, 2021 - Publisher in Wilmington, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have been with BVM nearly 4 years, and have achieved financial success greater than any previous job/career! My schedule is flexible and as long as I "get up and never give up" I have continued success! Dave Durand is an amazing CEO, and our entire leadership team is top notch. We have so much support and people wanting us to succeed. Amazing culture . . . so thankful for BVM, it has changed my life!

Cons

You need to be disciplined, motivated, and willing to work hard to achieve huge success.

10 people found this review helpful

Media Relations

Thanks so much for the review! BVM offers entrepreneurs a flexible work environment and an award-winning culture unlike anywhere else. We're thrilled to hear about your continued success and we're grateful to have you on the team!

6. 5.0
      Current Contractor, less than 1 year

It's not a job it is a ownership opportunity

May 20, 2021 - Publisher in Victoria, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

I am less then a year in but I have to say I am presently surprised by the opportunity BVM presents. Although the opportunity presents as a job it is really a ownership or more so a franchise opportunity that exists. You are given a ton or freedom and flexibility in creating a publication which can actually be scary at times but overall is a major perk of the role. You have to see through the weeds but the long term earning opportunity and growth in the position and the company is really amazing. For a company that manages general contractors the support and team dynamics they are able to create are pretty impressive. In the day to day you get to experience and support the growth of small business and community building which in todays world is a pretty special and good place to reside.

Cons

The core of the role and 90% of your time is ad sales which can be a brutal space for the ego. I am new to the industry and it is not well liked which is a opportunity but also muck to slog through at the same time. There are some weird flexibility items around the cancellation of contracts, I have heard issues but to be honest have not experienced anything yet so not sure how much it is bad actors vs company stance. It can take 3 to 6 month to make any money and 6 to 12 to get to decent pay which can be a tough slog but if you see it as a investment into ownership opportunity with zero dollars up front that can be short lived pain you can prep for. You do need to prep for that though and the company does not really set people into the role with that clearly laid out.

Media Relations

Thanks for the great feedback! The BVM Publisher role offers entrepreneurs the exciting opportunity to build their own business in the local community.

7. 5.0
      KEY NOT FOUND: jobLine.self_employ-current

Outstanding experience

May 17, 2021 - Publisher in Cambridge, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Best Version Media has the best support program for Publishers that I’ve ever seen. This is a team who cheers each other across the finish line and then celebrates the wins. I look forward to starting my week and setting attainable goals that I can easily reach and tend to exceed because this program I work, works. Why? In-depth training and the fact that my District Manager maintains very open lines of communication and is really there for me. I couldn’t feel any more supported or appreciated. When you work somewhere and you are appreciated, it becomes more fun and less of a chore. I’m able to apply my passion and persistence mixed in with a little grit that I’m learning thanks to the training and continual support of my TEAM and its’ leader. This company is the true definition of there being no “I” in team. I love it here and hope to have a long and prosperous partnership with my team here at BVM.

Cons

Well, if it wasn’t COVID I would get a chance to meet members of BVM in person. Also, virtual appointments are great but I prefer sitting face to face…also a COVID restriction. I have nothing negative to say. It’s been a great experience.

Media Relations

Thank you so much for the incredible review! We're excited to hear that you've found such a great success as a BVM Publisher. We're grateful to have such amazing entrepreneurs working with us!

8. 5.0

For the Entrepreneur who Wants to Excel

May 4, 2021 - Publisher
      Business Outlook

Pros

This is an entrepreneurial person's dream job. We have flexibility to manage our daily schedules - along with our own earning potential. I love the BVM culture, the opportunity for growth, the emphasis on helping everyone succeed. We receive ongoing coaching, there's always a person or resource to help through different business situations, and each publisher looks to learn from each other. I also appreciate the emphasis on work-life balance here. The work is tough and our schedules are full, but we are able to enjoy weekends, vacations and family time.

Cons

You really have to maintain a positive attitude because this is a daily sales business. This is not a company where someone can "hide" from doing his/her job. It takes a lot of work and diligence to build and maintain a successful magazine - and publishers cannot let up.

Media Relations

We love hearing from the dedicated entrepreneurs who enjoy working with us as Publishers! The BVM opportunity offers an award-winning culture, incredible growth opportunities and a work-life balance you won't find anywhere else. Thanks for the awesome review!

9. 5.0

No Other Place Like It!

Apr 26, 2021 - Publisher in Vero Beach, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

BVM offers the best support, the most training & the highest commissions in any industry

Cons

There are no downsides to working with BVM!

1 person found this review helpful

Media Relations

Thanks for the review! We're so happy to hear you enjoy working with us and have been able to provide for your family. BVM offers uncapped earning potential for entrepreneurs who want to start their own business.

10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

BVM Helps You Grow Professionally and Personally

Apr 17, 2021 - Publisher in Ocala, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

BVM is a great opportunity for someone who wants to be an entrepreneur and build their own business. You have flexibility in your work schedule, which makes it great for moms and others who are trying to have a good work/life balance. The company provides excellent, ongoing training, and you are always working with and learning from your peers and those higher up in the company. Everyone is very encouraging and pushes you to improve and succeed. There is unlimited earning potential, and the company offers great bonuses through contests and other incentives. You are doing work that helps the community by providing fun and educational neighborhood publications while helping businesses brand and grow. You are able to network and be out in the community instead of working in an office with set hours. It is a company that helps you grow in your career, and also as a person. No matter what your background or experience, you can be successful with BVM.

Cons

The position is commission only, so for those used to a set salary position, it takes some getting used to. You rely on client sales/payment for your commission. The company does not provide medical, dental or 401k because you work as an independent contractor. To be successful, you must be very disciplined, routine and manage yourself since you are working independently. If you are not used to sales, you have to adjust to the daily ups and downs in the business and make sure you focus on the long-term results of your publishing business.

Media Relations

Thank you for the feedback and we're excited to hear that you enjoy working with BVM! We're proud of our award-winning culture and the flexibility of the BVM opportunity. While the opportunity requires commitment and hard work, we believe it can be for anyone who is up to the challenge.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 122 Reviews