Best Version Media Employee Reviews about "magazine"

Updated Nov 29, 2021

Found 106 of over 581 reviews

4.3
Best Version Media Chief Executive Officer Kevin O’ Brien
Kevin O’ Brien
Pros
  • "BVM has an excellent training program(in 122 reviews)

• "The level of widespread publisher success is great to see(in 81 reviews)

• Cons
  • "No salary until you make minimum sales to support the magazine for at least a year(in 57 reviews)

• "Too much spotlight on veteran publishers with big deals(in 42 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "magazine"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Contractor

Great Company

Nov 29, 2021 - Publisher
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Great Leadership and resources -income opportunity

Cons

-unpaid for a significant period of time until the magazine is in print

Media Relations

Thanks for the feedback! BVM Publishers have the opportunity to build their own business alongside endless resources and training.

2. 5.0
      KEY NOT FOUND: jobLine.self_employ-current, more than 5 years

A solid opportunity

Nov 3, 2021 - Publisher in Philadelphia, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

My husband and I teamed up with BVM in late 2016 and now publish two community magazines. I appreciate the business model because it allows us to shine a bright light on the good in the local community, help local businesses, while having flexibility in our schedules and growing our income. I like working with local businesses, helping align their marketing and content with their goals, and seeing them succeed. I also enjoy being engaged within my community, making great connections between the people I’ve met throughout this process, and doing something that makes people genuinely happy. Over the 5 years since we began working on our first magazine, BVM developed several tools to help streamline our process, provided more we can sell, and made our marketing tools even more effective for clients. Throughout the pandemic they continuously offered ways to help us reach out to our prospects when we were unable to meet in person, and provided us resources to help close sales. They genuinely seemed interested in helping our existing clients (and us) weather the challenges. Overall, for anyone who enjoys sales, marketing, and talking with small business owners, it’s a model where you can find flexibility, fulfillment, and uncapped earnings.

Cons

This business is simple, yet not necessarily easy. It’s primarily a sales job. The most challenging aspect of the business is making sure you are always building a pipeline of local businesses that care about your community, then inspiring them to become sponsors. Generating sales is what fuels the business, and being involved in your community can help you meet great businesses and develop engaging content. This takes time and positive energy. It is not for everyone, and not everyone is for it. If you cringe at the idea of selling, this will be a very difficult business to succeed in. If you love helping small businesses get the word out, and are willing to put in the effort to meet them, it can be a financially rewarding and fulfilling career.

Media Relations

Thank you so much for the amazing review! The BVM Publisher opportunity is certainly challenging, but the many positive aspects of the role make it very rewarding. Our Publishers bring neighbors together every month with a beautiful magazine that connects businesses to local residents. Working with BVM means uncapped earning potential and the opportunity to build your own successful business in the community.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Compassionate Leaders Help You Become Your Best Version of Yourself

Sep 23, 2021 - Magazine Publisher in Phila, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

BVM has an excellent training program. If you follow it, and can self motivate and focus, you can make a very good salary and even gave free time and a flexible schedule.

Cons

No salary until you make minimum sales to support the magazine for at least a year—usually takes 2-3 months. You must be self disciplined, motivated and hungry. The better you focus, the better you’ll be.

Media Relations

Thanks for the review! BVM offers training, resources and a flexible work environment to help our people find success.

4. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Run!! Don't Do It!

Jul 29, 2021 - Associate Publisher
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pro is working from home. You also get to know a lot of the local businesses. I was new to town so this was a slight plus.

Cons

I worked all day every day for 6 weeks and didn't sell one thing. I come from 10 years in luxury car sales and consistently led in sales. I worked really hard, attended the zoom meeting and the was on the brainwashing daily phone calls and made not one cent! They have to call you everyday to keep you hooked otherwise any sane person would leave after a couple of weeks. What did it for me (besides no paycheck) was when they sent me a publication of of this magazine I was pushing for my town and it was really lame. It could easily get thrown in the trash, it was so flimsy and lacked content. I was slowly falling into a depression and when I finally quite I was SOOOO happy!!

7 people found this review helpful

Media Relations

We’ve proudly helped hundreds of entrepreneurs build their own businesses by offering endless training and resources. We completely understand the Publisher role is not for everyone, but our dedicated sales leaders and support staff do everything they can to help our people find success. Our publications have high readership levels because we feature local families and highlight everything positive happening in the community. We will continue to improve the opportunity moving forward.

5. 5.0
      Current Contractor, more than 3 years

One of the Best Jobs I've Ever Had!

Jun 2, 2021 - Content Coordinator in Grand Rapids, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

I enjoy the flexible hours, the positive and supportive work environment, the company's emphasis on featuring the best of family, business, and neighborhood life, and the opportunity I'm given to contribute uplifting family-friendly content for my community each month. I'm really proud of the three magazines I help produce! This is the perfect position for someone who is creative, caring, and interested in sharing the happy news within a community. I'm an organized self-starter, so I have flourished in this role. I appreciate the autonomy I've been given with regard to content -- my team works together like clockwork, and we're always there to support each other. On another note, I love how working with Best Version Media on a contract basis allows me to do freelance writing and editing work for many other clients throughout the month. It's the best of all worlds for an entrepreneur!

Cons

Personally, I haven't experienced any downsides. The people I work with are fantastic (both at Best Version Media and within my community), and I have been given full support and appropriate resources to do my job well. Of course, there are challenges and struggles sometimes, as there are with any job, but I haven't experienced any that are unique to Best Version Media.

Media Relations

Thanks for the awesome review! Content Coordinators are so important to our business and we greatly appreciate the work they do for our magazines every month. We're happy to hear you're enjoying the role and we're thankful to work with you!

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

For the Entrepreneur who Wants to Excel

May 4, 2021 - Publisher
      Business Outlook

Pros

This is an entrepreneurial person's dream job. We have flexibility to manage our daily schedules - along with our own earning potential. I love the BVM culture, the opportunity for growth, the emphasis on helping everyone succeed. We receive ongoing coaching, there's always a person or resource to help through different business situations, and each publisher looks to learn from each other. I also appreciate the emphasis on work-life balance here. The work is tough and our schedules are full, but we are able to enjoy weekends, vacations and family time.

Cons

You really have to maintain a positive attitude because this is a daily sales business. This is not a company where someone can "hide" from doing his/her job. It takes a lot of work and diligence to build and maintain a successful magazine - and publishers cannot let up.

Media Relations

We love hearing from the dedicated entrepreneurs who enjoy working with us as Publishers! The BVM opportunity offers an award-winning culture, incredible growth opportunities and a work-life balance you won't find anywhere else. Thanks for the awesome review!

7. 1.0
      Former Contractor, more than 1 year

MLM with more problems than average, BUT can be successful with existing Network and if you are rich

Jun 7, 2021 - Associate Publisher
      Business Outlook

Pros

Charismatic CEO could sell you a timeshare in Hell and you would be happy with it. He's that good at sales.

Cons

It is a Multi-Level-Marketing scheme tied to sales of ad Placement. They don't do ANY scouting for you when it comes to Buisnesses for ads. This is good for first time networking, but terrible for actual success. If you start entirely from nothing, you will spend everything you have and go into debt to get started, and even then, there are no guarantees. Then, only after successfully selling ads, will you start getting paid. Some people wind up ruining their lives trying to get even one sale. The only chance you have of being successful is already having an existing network within the neighborhood you open a magazine in. Period. Then, after that, recruiting other people to help you with sales, insert the multilevel marketing scheme model here. The only reason I found out was because someone had already warned businesses in the region I moved to about them years earlier. As an autistic individual, I didn't realize that the buisness owners of the region were trying to warn me and offer me better jobs (ones with good wages and salaries similar to what BVM had falsely promised,) until I was borderline on bankrupt, homeless, and had already burned through what good will the local businesses had. They had given up on me, because I naively trusted BVM for 2 years despite their warnings. I was homeless for a year while I tried to find anywhere that didn't know about my past working for BVM that would hire me. During my entire time working for them, the most financial support I got from the company was paying for a hotel room and a meal for a conference, once, and a Duncan Donuts gift card. That's all the help they gave in that time. Furthermore, their recruitment tactic is deceptive. Social Media Marketing can be hyper targeted, and has been able to be since its inception. Their recruitment materials said that Social media marketing didn't do that. It was one of the many warning signs I ignored out of blind loyalty to the company. To add insult to injury, the only homes that receive the magazines within a target area are the homes of upper-middle class or higher. In any region/neighborhood with a majority center-middle class or lower class, (and especially majority Poverty class) the odds of successful sales plummets.

Media Relations

We completely understand the Publisher role is not for everyone, but we respectfully disagree with how this review characterizes our business. We work with hundreds of entrepreneurs from all backgrounds and locations who’ve built successful businesses in their communities. There are no upfront costs necessary to get started with us and we offer one of the most impressive commission structures in the industry. We’re committed to helping every entrepreneur we work with achieve their goals and we'll continue to improve our programs moving forward.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

I never plan to retire

Apr 14, 2021 - Publisher in Charleston, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

This company provides great training and support but also the magazines are enjoyed by the residents and appreciated by the sponsors. Connecting people and local businesses in a positive way is what our country needs, now more than ever.

Cons

If you don't have a strong work ethic and personal discipline, this job is tough. No one can do the work for you. You have to prospect, make the calls, fill the calendar with appointments and then do the presentation so that the local business owners can see the value in connecting with that particular neighborhood.

Media Relations

Thank you for the positive feedback! We strive to offer continuous support and guidance so that all of our people can find success through dedication and hard work. We truly believe anyone who is up to the challenge can build a successful business while working with BVM. We're grateful to have you on the team!

9. 5.0
      Current Contractor

Nice company

Apr 15, 2021 - Anonymous Contractor
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible schedule, management is responsive and solution-oriented, great support, creative

Cons

Not a lot of room for salary growth or taking on new responsibilities/magazines

Media Relations

Thanks for leaving us some feedback about your experience working with us! BVM aims to offer a supportive and flexible environment so that all of our people can thrive.

10. 1.0
      Former Contractor, more than 1 year

Ruuuuuunnnnnnn!

May 5, 2021 - Publisher in Milwaukee, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Potential to earn uncapped income

Cons

This is a type of MLM essentially. Publishers earn commission by selling print advertisements in small microtargeted community magazines. Customers are locked into long term advertising contracts by which it is impossible to prove value or sales generations from ads. Not long after agreeing to long term contracts many customers have buyers remorse and there is no control as publisher to modify their agreement. BVM makes their money before the publisher earns a dollar. High pressure environment, low value to customers.

Media Relations

The Publisher opportunity offers entrepreneurs one of the most impressive commission structures in the industry. Our magazines are a powerful branding tool for local businesses who want to build loyalty and recognition in the community. It's unfortunate this reviewer decided to mischaracterize our business, but we'll continue to work with the hundreds of entrepreneurs who have found tremendous success with us.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 106 Reviews