Best Version Media Employee Reviews about "publishers"

Updated Oct 6, 2021

Found 42 of over 610 reviews

4.4
Best Version Media Chief Executive Officer Kevin O’ Brien
Kevin O’ Brien
Pros
  • "BVM has an excellent training program(in 122 reviews)

• "The level of widespread publisher success is great to see(in 81 reviews)

• Cons
  • "No salary until you make minimum sales to support the magazine for at least a year(in 57 reviews)

• "Too much spotlight on veteran publishers with big deals(in 42 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "publishers"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Don't do it, baby!

Oct 6, 2021 - Content Coordinator
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work from home and set own hours

Cons

Hard work, sometimes grueling, little financial rewards for the content coordinator, who is also the writer, resident interviewer, and editor, plus always the proofreader for many rounds for each publication. The idea of calling your editor, often the only person trained in the English language and in copyediting, a content coordinator, says it all. This company cares about sales by Publishers, but, imagine if they valued editorial content and paid a living wage to their talent, too?

12 people found this review helpful

Communications Specialist

Content Coordinators enjoy a flexible schedule that allows them to earn additional income for their writing. This role is very important to our business and we value the talented writers who contribute to our magazines each month. We appreciate the feedback and will use it to improve the opportunity moving forward.

2. 4.0

Truly High Income Opportunity; Few Succeed

Aug 23, 2021 - Publisher in Minneapolis, MN
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Within 1 year, tripled former salary -Made 200k+ even through Covid uncertainty, not working very much due to restrictions (so great recurring/stable income!) -Lots of free time, set your own schedule -Connect with local community and be an important part

Cons

-Many clients want to cancel contract at some point (this is more the industry than anything--people always want more from their advertising, but it can be hard when they say they "haven't got a single call") -Can be stressful dealing with sales droughts, uncertainty, etc. -Most aspiring publishers don't make it to baseline (more due to their own fault, since it is a hustle) -Had to go 6 months without income when starting out

2 people found this review helpful

Media Relations

Thank you for the review! BVM offers Publishers unlimited income potential and the exciting opportunity to build a business. While the Publisher role is challenging, we truly believe anyone can achieve their goals while working with us.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Pros

Leadership from the top down is of the highest quality. Training is swift, effective and highly beneficial (both initially and ongoing). This organization breathes success daily through accountability, high-standards and genuine good people to work with, who generously support you all along the way. I have always looked for that perfect opportunity to prove to myself and the rest of the world that I am as good as I think I am—BVM has provided me with that opportunity, essentially offering me a highly-rewarding personal franchise where I can be my own boss, where there is no ceiling on what I can earn and learn, and where the only thing I have to put down up-front is my own sweat-equity.

Cons

You are essentially starting your own franchise as a local publisher from scratch. It is essential that you have both the discipline to motivate and move yourself daily, and have the finances available to support yourself for anywhere from 3-6 months (depending on your sales experience) until you get your first publication up and running. There are some nice and generous bonus opportunities from BVM along the way to your first publication that genuinely help—but still: be prepared to work hard for very little pay for the first few months. It’s exponentially worth it in the end. Other than that—if you believe in yourself enough to make a solid commitment to your future, it can be an amazing opportunity.

Media Relations

Thank you so much for the detailed review about the Publisher opportunity! BVM offers uncapped earning potential alongside endless training and resources. It's a very rewarding role for anyone who is up to the challenge. We're committed to helping every person we work with achieve their career goals.

4. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Content Coordinator

Jun 13, 2021 - Content Coordinator
      Business Outlook

Pros

Experience; interaction with community; flexibility for work hours.

Cons

low pay; focus on business owners instead of residents; is much beyond 10-20 work hours per month, but no pay increase for Coordinator, only Publisher.

3 people found this review helpful

Media Relations

Content Coordinators enjoy a flexible schedule and the opportunity to earn additional income for their writing. This role is very important to our business and we value the talented writers who contribute to our magazines. We'll take this feedback to improve the opportunity moving forward.

5. 5.0

For the Entrepreneur who Wants to Excel

May 4, 2021 - Publisher
      Business Outlook

Pros

This is an entrepreneurial person's dream job. We have flexibility to manage our daily schedules - along with our own earning potential. I love the BVM culture, the opportunity for growth, the emphasis on helping everyone succeed. We receive ongoing coaching, there's always a person or resource to help through different business situations, and each publisher looks to learn from each other. I also appreciate the emphasis on work-life balance here. The work is tough and our schedules are full, but we are able to enjoy weekends, vacations and family time.

Cons

You really have to maintain a positive attitude because this is a daily sales business. This is not a company where someone can "hide" from doing his/her job. It takes a lot of work and diligence to build and maintain a successful magazine - and publishers cannot let up.

2 people found this review helpful

Media Relations

We love hearing from the dedicated entrepreneurs who enjoy working with us as Publishers! The BVM opportunity offers an award-winning culture, incredible growth opportunities and a work-life balance you won't find anywhere else. Thanks for the awesome review!

6. 1.0
      Former Contractor, more than 1 year

Ruuuuuunnnnnnn!

May 5, 2021 - Publisher in Milwaukee, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Potential to earn uncapped income

Cons

This is a type of MLM essentially. Publishers earn commission by selling print advertisements in small microtargeted community magazines. Customers are locked into long term advertising contracts by which it is impossible to prove value or sales generations from ads. Not long after agreeing to long term contracts many customers have buyers remorse and there is no control as publisher to modify their agreement. BVM makes their money before the publisher earns a dollar. High pressure environment, low value to customers.

1 person found this review helpful

Media Relations

The Publisher opportunity offers entrepreneurs one of the most impressive commission structures in the industry. Our magazines are a powerful branding tool for local businesses who want to build loyalty and recognition in the community. It's unfortunate this reviewer decided to mischaracterize our business, but we'll continue to work with the hundreds of entrepreneurs who have found tremendous success with us.

7. 5.0
      Current Contractor, less than 1 year

Lots of support and great earning potential

Mar 12, 2021 - Publisher in Winnipeg, MB
      Business Outlook

Pros

- uncapped earning potential - lots of support from employees in leadership roles - freedom to create your own schedule - ability to develop relationships with various businesses and business owners

Cons

Not Cons, but I’d say challenging requirements for some: - publisher must be comfortable cold calling - employees need to be self motivated

Media Relations

BVM Publishers enjoy flexibility and the opportunity to pursue unlimited income potential. We're happy to hear about your positive experience working with us. Thanks for the great review!

8. 5.0

Advice to job seekers

Mar 9, 2021 - Co-publisher in Sag Harbor, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Best Version Media has an extraordinary business and sales culture. They provide excellent support of their publishers with daily meetings, seminars, excellent systems and resources, dedicated, well trained and helpful staff, and brilliant leadership.

Cons

A new publisher must be a self starter, driven and apply themselves consistently.

Media Relations

We strive to offer support, training and resources to help our Publishers find success. Thank you so much for the review!

9. 4.0
      Current Contractor, less than 1 year

Great Company Culture

Mar 12, 2021 - Associate Publisher in Calgary, AB
      Business Outlook

Pros

Be an independent business owner with great head office support. Daily conference calls and regular one on more meetings with support staff help build the business with techniques and training.

Cons

Too much spotlight on veteran publishers with big deals. Nice to celebrate but usually means the newer publishers don't get public recognition for smaller dollar deals that dont make the top 100. This can be demotivating.

Media Relations

Thanks for the review! We support our people every step of the way by offering training and resources to help them find success. We're happy to have you on the team and we'll use this feedback to improve the role moving forward.

10. 4.0
      Current Freelancer, less than 1 year

Takes Good Care of Freelancers

Jan 13, 2021 - Content Coordinator
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible, reasonable pay, fun work, dedication to communities served

Cons

Sometimes difficult to reach people at headquarters/support, need to train publishers more clearly on working with freelancers as well as clearly articulating expectations for all parties.

Media Relations

Content Coordinators are so important to our monthly magazines! We value your feedback about the role and will use it to improve moving forward.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 42 Reviews