Best Version Media Employee Reviews about "publishers"

Updated Jan 13, 2021

Found 33 of over 532 reviews

4.2
Best Version Media Chief Executive Officer Kevin O’ Brien
Kevin O’ Brien
Pros
  • "BVM offers an opportunity to create a successful business without a large initial investment(in 106 reviews)

• "Be a publisher with unlimited support throughout training, all the way up to Dave Durand the CEO(in 71 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The pay is based on working 20 hours a month, but to produce a high-quality magazine, it takes much more time(in 49 reviews)

• "Same old trouble with "sales people (publishers)" who are unreasonable(in 33 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "publishers"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 4.0
      Current Freelancer, less than 1 year

Takes Good Care of Freelancers

Jan 13, 2021 - Content Coordinator
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible, reasonable pay, fun work, dedication to communities served

Cons

Sometimes difficult to reach people at headquarters/support, need to train publishers more clearly on working with freelancers as well as clearly articulating expectations for all parties.

Media Relations

Content Coordinators are so important to our monthly magazines! We value your feedback about the role and will use it to improve moving forward.

2. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good job for freelance writer

Dec 27, 2020 - Contract Article Writer in West Palm Beach, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Consistent work and pays on time

Cons

Pay could be better. If you don't have a good publisher to work with, the job is not fun.

Media Relations

Thank you for leaving us some feedback about the Content Coordinator role.

3. 5.0
      Current Contractor, less than 1 year

Good Remote work for graphic designers

Oct 19, 2020 - Graphic Designer in Brookfield, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of well thought out systems in place to keep people within their job descriptions.

Cons

Same old trouble with "sales people (publishers)" who are unreasonable.

Media Relations

Thank you for leaving us some feedback. We work with some of the most talented graphic designers in the industry!

4. 4.0
      Current Contractor, less than 1 year

Great Job for Self-starters

Dec 16, 2019 - Content Coordinator in Edmonton, AB
      Business Outlook

Pros

BVM provides as much technical support and training as they can. The job is flexible and rewarding. You get to meet people and tell their stories, which can be fun.

Cons

Since the content coordinator position is remote, there's very little on the ground support. If there is a local publisher, it helps, but even then, there are some growing pains until things get off the ground. Also, I'm running into a lot of people who don't want to be interviewed for the magazine, and since that's the main feature of each issue, it can be stressful finding features.

5. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Very smooth scam. Be very careful!

Sep 17, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

You do all the hard work for very little pay. I would guess about 2-5% of people who do this job make any real money. The rest lose a LOT of money trying to get it off the ground while working for free. No benefits ever with one of the 'fastest growing companies in America.' Terrible ethics when it comes down to it.

Cons

It is dressed up like advertisers love this product. They don't. And magazine is not sent to every household in the neighborhood. Very hard sell in real time and the company takes most of the money. 'Baseline' is not a real number. Don't take my word for it, talk to real publishers in the industry first. They'll tell you this is not a real publisher role. Sure does sound good though.

24 people found this review helpful

Media Relations

The BVM opportunity offers Publishers unlimited income potential with one of the most generous commission programs you'll find anywhere. We have hundreds of Publishers who have built incredible businesses for themselves because our magazines are among of the most powerful ways to advertise locally. While the opportunity requires commitment and hard work, we believe it can be for anyone who is up to the challenge.

6. 3.0
      Current Contractor, more than 3 years

Front end works, back end does not

Aug 14, 2019 - Publisher
      Business Outlook

Pros

It's something for those that have nothing (don't quit a job that has steady, predictable income and benefits for this, no matter how much you hate it, but if you're already out of work and can't find anything, this is a very good opportunity). Excellent sales training and leadership. Decent, and could be better than decent income potential if you work it hard, fast, furious and consistent. Flexibility and independence. Many nice people in corporate.

Cons

Income from sales is neither guaranteed nor predictable. Contracts aren't worth the paper they are written on. Small businesses, who are the primary target, do not appreciate the value of branding so it's tough sale, and even tougher to retain. You *own* nothing but your LLC, you are not building an asset. Publishers are essentially a super-cheap sales force, with no benefits. Read the publisher contract very carefully before signing. There is a 30-day "termination for convenience" clause that all should be aware of.

3 people found this review helpful

Media Relations

We appreciate your feedback. The BVM Publisher opportunity offers a generous commission structure you won’t find anywhere else. It’s an opportunity that has enormous potential for anyone who is up to the challenge. Our independently contracted Publishers create their business from the ground up with the support of our Home Office staff, world-class training and leadership team. It’s an excellent opportunity for anyone who desires to be in business for themselves, but not by themselves.

7. 1.0
      Former Contractor, more than 1 year

This Company is a SCAM

Jul 31, 2019 - Content Coordinator
      Business Outlook

Pros

I was able to write about the community and get published monthly.

Cons

1. Editorial standards are not real editorial standards, they are advertorial standards 2. All content is reviewed by Big Brother and can be deleted without reason at any time 3. Submission of editorial content is electronic, so you can be monitored 4. You are not allowed to have more than 1 copy of the print publication, so you can never give copies to potential subjects 5. Main office is unorganized, hard to deal with and egotistical 6. Had to complain about not getting paid correctly on multiple occasions 7. As a real and experienced journalist, it was hard to follow the BVM ideals of what a good story is 8. Working with inexperienced "publishers" with no real grasp of how to publish a magazine 9. Magazine flipped publishers 5 times 10. New rules added every week

2 people found this review helpful

Media Relations

Unlike what is stated in this review, BVM follows editorial standards to maintain our family-friendly model. While our content guidelines are always evolving, any changes are immediately communicated to the field. We do not change written content without first notifying the team and working with them to correct any potential issues.

8. 1.0
      Current Freelancer, less than 1 year

Here's what it really is

Nov 2, 2018 - Content Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

No pros. Don't fall for this. You're smarter than that.

Cons

I responded to a job posting for a content coordinator from a publisher. After some research and a review of the 'neighborhood magazine', I realized Best Version Media is making a buttload of money selling an ad-based publishing format to a growing network of would-be publishers. These publishers must be their own sales agent and obtain ads (and supply content) to create an outdated media outlet - a print magazine - about a neighborhood. I've been writing and editing content long enough to know that nobody wants to read 'highlight' stories about their neighbors. And I've been working long enough to understand that if you're giving a bunch of time, money and hard work to a company (NOT your own business) and receiving nothing in return, something is awry.

25 people found this review helpful
    9. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Put up with NO all day long, and have 4+ mo of $ avail to survive the startup

Jun 1, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

the leadership on the ground is MOSTLY very good people with huge sales leadership careers who know what they are talking about. They want very much for all to succeed, and are very clear in the risks and amount of work and number of NOs you'll get (all very high), that it's an attitude game, a numbers game, so" just don't give up". There is no initial investment to start other than going to a training location overnight. Some people have found success with this model, and turned their lives around.

Cons

This is a job, regardless of their statements that you're "independent". Yes, you get to open a business and have those benefits; but the magazines you build are THEIRS, not yours. Your pay comes as commission on ad sales, and you'll have to literally work your ___ off to get those. This model is not new, and, in the eyes of the business owners you'll pitch, is as suspicious as anything else touted as better than the competition. It's a classic One Call Close. Get them to signTODAY, or you lose. Your failings in getting sales will be attributed to an imperfect presentation and/or the nature of the market, so hey, 'just move on, find more leads'. Constant 'training' for the presentation, which means top publishers talking on the conf calls telling their 'secrets' for closing, and endless repetition of the Boss' video pitch. They don't tell you that closing takes very, very aggressive pricing, discounting, and even making side deals with some prospects to get them to sign. And once they buy, the customers will gripe about why the ad isn't pulling, it's so expensive, etc. Training is crammed into a day, with assurances that you'll get unlimited support at home/online/company site/videos, etc. Again, some is valuable, some is not. Getting help is repetitive info from different people, which is the best they can do. You'll get literally constant reminders of publisher XYZ that went to print in 8 days, he's a genius; "she's made $500K in sales this year so far, be like her" You'll hear many success stories of those that struggled, didn't give up and made it big, became section leaders, made a zillion$. You won't hear that MOST publishers struggle, most gripe among themselves about the systems and don't really 100% use the methods laid out in training. And that many quit because they can't take the pure, hard sales environment. They cannot play the role of relentless closer to get the deal, nor can they 'not take it personally'. Company close rate is established at 20%. I have had a 15 year sales career and mine was 2%.I was told 'you're so close, you're so close', just tweak it here, there, try this little phrase''. obviously, this isn't for me.

33 people found this review helpful

Media & Communications Manager

The BVM opportunity comes with one of the most generous commission structures that you will find anywhere. It has enormous potential for those who are up to the challenge. We want our people to succeed so we share what works! Yes, we repeat mantras of success, fundamental principals of sales excellence because repetition and frequency are the key to success. Just like any talented coach, we discuss and work on the fundamentals all the time. It is what makes MVP players the best. They aren't the best because their coach comes up with a "new" way to swing the bat or throw the ball. They get their swing down and then repeat the same fundamentally sound swing over and over again. Our sales leadership team follows this axiom of success with helping a new "player" achieve great things in BVM. People who fail to accomplish great things are always trying to look for the new fancy thing, but top performers embrace the mundane in order to achieve success.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Best decision I ever made was coming on board with Best Version Media as a publisher!

Sep 17, 2017 - Publisher in Springboro, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

Unlimited income and growth potential. World class training and support. Non-profit heart in a for-profit company Management truly cares about each and every employee and does everything in their power to help you succeed! The home office support staff is AMAZING! They always have our back and support us 24/7!

Cons

Personally, I have none. But as always, not everyone is a fit for every job, here or anywhere else. If you are going to be a Publisher, you must be a self-starter and have drive, but if you trust the program and avail yourself to the resources management provides, you will succeed! They will give you all the tools, knowledge and support to succeed but ultimately YOU have to do the work. Is that a con? I don't think so.

85 people found this review helpful