Blizzard Entertainment Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

4.4
Blizzard Entertainment President and CEO Mike Morhaime
Mike Morhaime

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance from what I understand in games is very reasonable (in 31 reviews)

• Great benefits, smart people, good work environment (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Orange County is kind of expensive, and some levels haven't caught up with cost of living (in 25 reviews)

• You have to work really hard to exceed expectations which can erode some of the exalted "work-life balance" (in 17 reviews)

1. "Lead Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Irvine, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Irvine, CA (US)

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been at Blizzard for just under 3 months. The environment is awesome. My direct manager has spent an enormous amount of time familiarizing me with culture and setting my expectations. Perks are great, especially if you are creative or like games. Overall, after 3 months, I love it. The weather in Southern California is also great.

Cons

If I had to come up with something it would be that the pay versus cost of living (especially in Irvine) could use some work. Also it would be beneficial to review the vacation policy. It's pretty much set in stone and that is a downer for an experienced candidate.

Advice to Management

Keep being visible and awesome. It was awesome that Frank was at my new hire orientation. Can't wait to meet Mike and thank him for creating such an amazing company.

2. "The best of the games industry"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Irvine, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Irvine, CA (US)

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Blizzard is an exception to the usual dysfunction in the games industry. It's a successful, stable studio that's had a record of producing top quality games for over 25 years. Employee retention is insanely good. The average total tenure in the industry as a whole is only a few years, but I routinely run into Blizzard people with 5 or 10 years or more at just this one company.

The company makes a deliberate, conscious effort to live by their corporate principles, but those principles are not the typical corpspeak. They genuinely try to live by rules like "play nice, play fair" and "every voice matters". It's a great working environment.

Cons

It's still the games industry. You will be paid less than for an equivalent job in another industry, even if Blizzard is on the high end of the games industry payscale.

The company is somewhat conservative. There's an occasional whiff of "we've always done things X way and it's worked so far", but people do come around with a good argument.

Advice to Management

Our efforts to modernize and diversify our products are great, but don't lose the core magic.

3. "Great company to work for!"

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time

Pros

Culture, benefits, people, and product.

Cons

The location - Irvine isn't a very exciting city.

5. "The best career decision any adult professional could make in a lifetime."

Current Employee - Human Resources in Irvine, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Irvine, CA (US)

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been working in the entertainment industry (think, Disney, Warner Bros., Pixar, etc) for over 5 years and Blizzard has by far been the best decision I've ever made. I know everyone likes lists so here is mine:

- No large egos. If you have one, you won't last long here
    - Personal and career growth are tantamount initiatives that the company takes seriously. So keep learning and keep growing.
    - Plenty of projects with very few barriers for you to creatively attack your project initiatives.
    - $500 Blizzard bucks per year that you can use for anything in-game.
    - Free game codes to all Blizzard and Activision games.
    - Opportunity to work with some of the best talent in the world. We have a lot of former entertainment studio and Silicon Valley engineers so talent is definitely not lacking.
    - On-site gym, crossfit arena, brazilian jiu-jitsu, aikido, basketball court, massage therapist, physical therapist and even an MD for your physical checkups!
    - On-site gourmet cafe is subsidized and they actually changes up their menus... It's not the same stuff every week.
    - Every Blizzard employee name is listed in the end-game credits for every game we release. We take "being a part of the family" very seriously and it's so awesome.

So the list can go on and on but I just wanted to point out that the biggest pro IMHO about Blizzard is how forward thinking we are on many fronts. The company does a very good job in making sure that we are at the forefront of software development when it comes to modern gaming. We are also pushing the envelope with the development of the Overwatch League and are really disrupting the current entertainment environment of pro sports broadcasts. Blizzard is genuinely an amazing place to work, we are pet friendly, and the very low turnover rates are some of the indicators that people just love working here. Of course, no one has paid me to say any of this - it's my honest opinion and although it's very hard to "break in" to get interviews (took me 10 years!) once you DO get in... wow it's totally worth it.

Cons

Of course, not every organization is perfect. Here are some of my observations as to what Blizzard could definitely improve on:

- Salaries are palatable but doesn't really fit the cost of living in Irvine, CA or Los Angeles. Company is making some interesting salary changes though, so that's exciting at least.
    - 401k matching isn't the best in the world (25% of ever dollar you put in). This could definitely be improved.
    - Somewhat chaotic workplace (natural for anything creative) - It's not sink or swim like it is in Hollywood but it is definitely "Learn fast or you might get left behind"
    - Too many new systems too often. Iteration is great but some stability with our inter-company chat systems would be awesome.. Keeps changing every 12 months.
    - Not enough space. The company is growing so fast that we just don't have enough space so teams have to keep shifting and moving around every year.

Overall, the con's don't outweigh the pros. Being a part of the team developing the next great product is more important to most of us.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, Mike Morhaime & Team. We all have your back. The next 25 years is going to be amazing!

6. "This review"

Current Employee - QA Test Lead in Irvine, CA (US)
    Current Employee - QA Test Lead in Irvine, CA (US)

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is the first job I've had where I actually look forward to showing up to work every day.

Cons

Turnover is extremely low, which sounds like a good thing, but causes problems of its own.

"Creative, diverse, and collaborative culture - at all levels"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA (US)

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Genuinely encouraged to be you, however weird and wonderful you may be (and we all are);
    Every Voice Matters isn't just a nicely worded pillar for a brand statement, it's a fact;
    You get to work with brilliantly intelligent people;
    'Diversity' is meant: we have meet-ups, support groups - all 100% supported by the company at every level.

Cons

Can be tough to get fast turnarounds and approval, as Every Voice Matters!;
    Newer employees may find the 'we have never done it this way' a little frustrating - but stick with it, Blizzard is changing all the time;
    Semi-regular re-orgs can feel unsettling.

Advice to Management

Sometimes it feels that management only see your job experience in the job you are in. Read CVs, test boundaries and skill sets, see beyond the job description they have now.

8. "I came and never left"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Irvine, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Irvine, CA (US)

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people are the best, the culture, and community. There are tons of internal opportunities and I feel supported as an employee to grow. Work life balance from what I understand in games is very reasonable. Stable future.

Cons

Growing pains in the organization are exhausting at times. Frugal and convoluted structured compensation/benefits. Irvine is pretty boring and expensive.

9. "Dream job"

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time

Pros

I've worked at a handful of design companies and have experienced working with all sorts of personalities. Regardless of how much I loved what I did for a living, having to walk on eggshells due to hierarchy, work politics, and etc became a frequent and I quickly became a little jaded with my profession. I figured any company would be like the rest but Blizzard quickly proved me wrong. The atmosphere is full of energy, everyone is kind and full of smiles, fellow co workers are equally passionate about what we do as I am and we feed off each others energy. I couldn't be happier and more excited for my future and my career path here.
    We continuously get emails from Mike Morhaime himself thanking us for our hard work every time we hit a milestone of any sort. Stating that Blizzard is epic as it is due to all the hard work we all put in. I am honored and ecstatic to be a part of the team and get a little teary eyed every time we get those emails :)

Cons

I currently have nothing that is a con.

10. "#Blizzlife! Blizzard Entertainment is everything you want in an employeer"

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Irvine, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Irvine, CA (US)

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Core values are practiced every day at all levels of the organization. Leaders lead by example.

Cons

Some times it takes a long time to get a new initiative or group formed.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and keep the culture you have created.

"Best job ever!!!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Irvine, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Irvine, CA (US)

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Blizzard is far and away the best company in the game business. They allow their game teams enough time to make theirs games great before releasing them. Every single game they release is a top-notch and they are ALL hits. Crunch/overtime is minimal to non-existent. They pay well. They treat employees well. They don't have layoffs. The Irvine main campus has every perk you can imagine. If you are want to work in the game industry, Blizzard is absolutely the gold standard. Other companies will rise and fall, but Blizzard has been at the top forever and will be there long after all the others fall to the wayside because they do things the right way.

Cons

The 401k matching is pretty underwhelming...25% match. I was disappointed with that, but I think that comes from the parent company (Activision-Blizzard) rather than Blizzard itself.

It's in Orange County? The weather is great all year round, but it is a very conservative area, so that may bother some people. Within Blizzard itself, however, it feels much more progressive. And how often do you really need to know/care what the political beliefs of your neighbors are?

Advice to Management

At least 50% 401k matching would be great...preferably 100%, which is pretty standard in tech these days.