Blizzard Entertainment Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

4.4
Blizzard Entertainment President and CEO Mike Morhaime
Mike Morhaime

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Blizzard actually wants to give employees a Work-Life balance" (in 36 reviews)

• "If you are looking for a work environment to fully 'embrace your inner geek" you don't need to look any further" (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • "Expensive cost of living in the surrounding area; the company does subsidize healthy food options in their cafe and vending machines in each building" (in 29 reviews)

• "You have to work really hard to exceed expectations which can erode some of the exalted "work-life balance"" (in 19 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing culture and Passion for hand-crafted, high quality gaming experiences"

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Employees bleed passion. They embrace the 8 core values wholeheartedly and live and breath it.
    -Opportunities for learning and growth. The company has grown quickly over the past few years and there are opportunities beyond just game development! eSports, Consumer Products, Story and Franchise Development and more.
    -Limited hierarchy, everyone pitches in and has a voice, and focused on meritocracy
    -You can be yourself. You don't have to be a gaming geek, there are foodies, pet lovers, table top gamers, tinkerers and so many other interests that you can share with others

Cons

-Company is more of a start up-feel and there's a greater need for more process and documentation, however, not to the point where we are taking away from the creativity and to get things done
    -It takes time to learn the Blizzard way of doing things, but there's a positive in this as everyone understands this and gives new hires a chance to really absorb the culture and build relationships without being thrown into the fire

Advice to Management

-Never forget the roots of the organization, the creativity and focus on quality, but realize that we need to catch up in certain areas as well

"Gudreview"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Madurai
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Madurai

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Active participant Less work time space

Cons

Too repeated No trans no holiday

Advice to Management

More redundant

3. "Security"

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They live up to their core values.

Cons

I don’t have any cons

4. "Amazing Experience But I Had It Easy!"

Current Employee - Public Relations in Irvine, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Public Relations in Irvine, CA (US)

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing Perks (copies of every game, Blizzard Bucks, Cheap Yet Tasty Food on campus). Good Pay. Wonderful People. The Library is incredible!

Cons

Highly competitive environment. It can be overwhelming getting settled in.

Advice to Management

None at the moment but that may change with time.

"You're Not Family."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Anaheim, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Anaheim, CA (US)

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The People, the swag, Blizzcon, the company events.

Cons

The management playing favorites and making your life hell if they don't like you. Customer support being treated like crap by higher levels in the company.

Advice to Management

Don't let Office Politics dictate how you treat your employees. If an employee goes above their direct manager's head in an effort to be heard, that manager shouldn't be able to get retribution.

6. "People have passion on what they do, nice environment for growth"

Former Employee - Designer in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Designer in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Blizzard tries to keep the environment like a campus, where you can learn and grow for any dream positions you want to pursue. People care about diversity and respect different cultures.

Cons

Communication efficiency due to working remotely from the headquarter, but the leadership team did a great job to provide yearly summit for people share experience and ideas.

Advice to Management

You are the best manager, bring positive energy to the team, encourage people trying new ideas with a precise guidance to make sure things is always focused and purposeful.

"The job was amazing. The management, less so."

Former Employee - Specialist Game Master in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Specialist Game Master in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working for my favorite gaming company, good office location, got to work with many like-minded individuals, free games, and a plethora of other benefits.

Cons

The management doesn't care about the individual. I was placed on a shift that I was physically struggling to maintain and, even though I'd gone to my management about the problems I had multiple times, I was never offered any help. I was removed from special projects after being given impossible ultimatums and ultimately fired because of mistakes I was making due to a deteriorating physical and mental health.

Advice to Management

Care about your reps. Please. I wasn't the last person this happened to since I was fired, and I'm sure there are others currently suffering. Depression and anxiety are real things that should be taken seriously. Especially when a rep with good numbers starts to slip -- help lift them up instead of kicking them to the curb without so much as a Final Written Warning.

*Prior to being fired, I was not on a Final Warning. I went from a Verbal to terminated with no chance to speak up to defend myself, and though I was constantly reaching out for help with the situation I was in, no help from my leadership was given.

**A side note, it appears that my previous review had been deleted by the employer earlier this summer. Trying to sweep bad reviews under the rug is indicative of a sour leadership and HR team. I'll keep re-posting my review, as that is my right to do so.

8. "Amazing culture, incredible and talented people, comfortable and inclusive work environment"

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time

Pros

Having worked for many organizations over several decades, I have never worked for a company that even came close to Blizzard's standards...across the board. The culture is open and warm, inviting and respectful. The people are sincere, genuine, intelligent, experienced and incredibly talented. I feel like I have finally found "home." Working for the company that has given me so much joy with all of their amazing titles is like a dream come true.

Cons

Not a single con. I have been blown away since I have joined Blizzard.

Advice to Management

Stay true to our titles and our loyal core players while we discover new ways to reach out to more!

9. "Excellent place to grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA (US)

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Welcoming environment, very relaxed feeling around the offices and buildings even if its crunch time or everyone has a lot on their plates. I never felt too uncomfortable to ask a question or speak up about something. They have been super helpful, teaching me and getting me situated in my role. Couldn't really ask for a better welcome, so far everything is just as amazing as people say.

Cons

As of right now, there aren't any real cons in my opinion.

"Company in Transition"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA (US)

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Blizzard is full of amazing people who are passionate about making games and delighting players worldwide.

Cons

There are many cliques and if you do not quickly fit in one as a new employee then your life at Blizzard will be challenging.

Most people have been at Blizzard for 10+ years and there are some who are untouchables who are immune to reprimanding no matter what actions they take or how childish they act.

Blizzard is trying to transition to a modern gaming company using data in addition to intuition but there is still a long way to go. If you are not a designer, artist, or engineer then your life at Blizzard will be in service to those functions.

The pay is below market, but it is Blizzard so you have to ask yourself if its worth it to work at one of the highest quality game companies in the world.

Advice to Management

Blizzard is no longer about "Every Voice Matters" as many voices are silenced if they do not align with the senior leader over the team. Those people are branded negatively even if the concerns are brought up in an appropriate way. With the goal of returning to focusing on development, you should also ensure your senior leaders represent the values around the Orc in how they operate. Differences of opinion in civil conversation often results in even better ideas and success.