Bloomberg Industry Group Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Bloomberg Industry Group Reviews

Updated Dec 6, 2019

3.2
Bloomberg Industry Group CEO Josh Eastright (no image)
Josh Eastright
Pros
Cons
  • "I honestly think BNA doesn't know what it wants to do because upper management says we need to beat Law360(in 8 reviews)

• "editors unable to help guide and shape a story(in 8 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Associate Legal Content Specialist in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Bloomberg Industry Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work-life balance, kind employees, amazing benefits, lots of free food.

Cons

Low salaries for employees with legal backgrounds.

Advice to Management

Offer employees with legal backgrounds higher compensation.

Bloomberg Industry Group2019-12-06
  2. "A ok place to work"

Current Employee - Legislative Data Analyst
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Bloomberg Industry Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Health Benefits are really good.

Cons

But the pay, as its a guild, is not great. No room for negotiation when hired and bonuses for this position are not great. No organization structure so advancement is difficult.

Bloomberg Industry Group2019-12-03
  3. "Great!"

Current Employee - Sales Trainee

I have been working at Bloomberg Industry Group full-time

Pros

Benefits, pay. Great place to work.

Cons

No critique on my part.

Bloomberg Industry Group2019-11-18
  4. "Not Bad, Not Great"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Bloomberg Industry Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work/life balance, decent salary

Cons

Terrible technical management, little room for growth

Bloomberg Industry Group2019-11-09
  5. "Sales Trainee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Bloomberg Industry Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent training, good pay, ability to promote fairly quickly into an outside sales position making over 100,000. Excellent benefits package with a lot of paid time off.

Cons

None so far, I am happy with my choice to work here after graduation.

Bloomberg Industry Group2019-10-25
  6. "Great benefits, unstable environment"

Current Employee - Associate Editor in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Bloomberg Industry Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, liberal leave, wonderful work culture that focuses on giving back and environmental awareness

Cons

Lots of layoffs/instability, open office plan

Bloomberg Industry Group2019-10-25

"Zero ethics after Labor Dept story"

Current Employee - Writer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Bloomberg Industry Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Generally speaking, the pay is slightly higher than industry average Expectations aren’t super high with output, so the work/life balance is solid

Cons

A lot of people here including myself are seeking other employment. First, Google the Labor Department story if you aren’t familiar. This was a story written in bad faith that wouldn’t have made it into my college paper. The story also put the subject’s career at risk for no reason. Newsrooms put out bad stories sometimes. There’s no excuse. But it happens. This story which contained blatant lies took one month to... retract and senior leadership in the newsroom never acted like it was a problem. I never call for termination, but the EIC should be ashamed and resign. This story should’ve been retracted with an apology in less than 5 minutes. The reporter and editors should’ve been terminated on the spot. They have no business being here and most writers here know that. An organization’s values reflect on the writer. Bloomberg Law’s disregard for basic journalism ethics stains my career and I’m embarrassed at events in DC when people bring it up. It also hurts me with sources.

Advice to Management

Fire all senior leadership responsible for this story not being retracted earlier. Make the reporter stand in front of the company and verbally apologize.

Bloomberg Industry Group2019-10-15
  8. "A great company"

Former Employee - Managing Director in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Bloomberg Industry Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Bloomberg is a fast moving organisation with lots of great opportunities for development.

Cons

Limited opportunities in the UK for leadership roles.

Bloomberg Industry Group2019-09-02
  9. "Review"

Current Employee - START Sales Representative

I have been working at Bloomberg Industry Group full-time

Pros

Great Company, Great benefits, Great Coworkers

Cons

Extremely difficult and rigorous training program. Lazy people will fail.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Bloomberg Industry Group2019-08-22

"Good Place to Start, Not to Build a Career"

Former Employee - Editor in Arlington, VA

I worked at Bloomberg Industry Group full-time

Pros

-A pantry with free snacks, fruit, drinks, and a fancy espresso machine -More diverse than other corporate offices (but not in management, see cons) -Name recognition if you work on the BLAW/BTAX products in the legal industry -Good place to start if you want an alt-law career--but do not plan on staying here for an extended period of time if you don't want your career to basically be over

Cons

-No one competent stays here long term. They know that the likelihood of getting promoted at a MARKET SALARY is nearly impossible and leave for better opportunities. This is basically the gateway to fed jobs for some law school grads/lawyers who are transitioning out of private practice. -Upper management has no understanding of the products its editors create and maintain. Therefore, their decisions in what... resources to provide and to what groups don't make sense. They will never compete with Westlaw and Lexis for this reason. -Some editorial groups are severely understaffed and management refuses to add positions. Not hiring for certain positions with no clear reason why, so most people are underpaid and working ten times harder while not being allowed to work OT and no support because they aren't hiring anyone. Also a reason why they will never compete with Westlaw or Lexis. -Wish washy when it comes to policies. Some employees are allowed to work remotely full time (from as close as 1-2 hours away or as far as many states away) and others must come into the office each day and aren't allowed to work remotely at all (and not for any good reason like they need to be in the office to do their job). As a legal tech company promoting AI, etc. it's really odd that they would step back from offering flexible work options for employees when the technology is there and there isn't a business reason for it. Some remote employees do a significant less amount of work and clearly are just baggage but unclear why they don't just get rid of those instead of not giving the incentive of flex work to hard working employees. -Promotions are happening more but they are for peanuts. You get "promoted" and the difference in salary bump is laughable. Not competitive. More than nonprofit sector, but not in competition with most other jobs in the area. -If you are young and work hard, you will be making less money than someone who has been there a long time and does nothing and yet, no one has ever written them up or fired them. Not sure if that has to do with managers being afraid of the union (which to be honest is not very strong/has very low membership so don't think that is it) or if maybe they just are too lazy to write up an employee and do not want to bother. -It's common to see a new manager making less money than their employees that are reporting to them which I haven't seen in any other company before. -Upper management has a good amount of women but that is it as far as diversity goes. Just take a look at the exec. page with photos. -There are a lot of very very incompetent/lazy managers. New managers are a lot more enthusiastic/competent. But there still remains managers that they just couldn't fire I guess in the last round of "reorgs" in Oct. but that really should have been. There are managers who barely show up at the office, don't know what their employees are working on, or just flat out don't understand the subject matter their own employees are covering. There are still some non-JD managers managing a legal content group....not sure how that works?

Bloomberg Industry Group2019-08-07