Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts Reviews

Updated 8 Aug 2020

4.1
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts President and CEO Andrew Dreyfus
Andrew Dreyfus
Pros
  • "Provide a healthy work/life balance(in 62 reviews)

• "Great company to work for with great benefits including health insurance and vacation time(in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • "I have nothing personally against or cons for BCBSMA(in 11 reviews)

• "The call center can be brutal with consistent phone calls back to back and the 18 months commitment I couldn’t take in a call center(in 7 reviews)

1. "Good place to grow"

4.0
    Current Employee - Business Intelligence Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work/life balance Good benefits including vacation and health insurance

Cons

Paid lower than industry average

2. COVID-19

"Seamless & Supported"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts full-time for less than a year

Pros

I joined BCBSMA a few months ago during the height of the pandemic and had a lot of apprehension about it because of so many unknowns (location, on-boarding, would I be able to learn and make connections) and honestly it was the best choice I could have made! Technology was easy to use and set up, a few minor hiccups but nothing that you don't have settling into any role. My manager (and whole team really) went out of their way to create additional touch points, set goals, and give me lots and lots of context so I could really be effective. I came from outside healthcare so the learning curve was steep but even so having them check in and be so readily available has made this the easiest company on-boarding I've ever had - and I've never met any of them in person! My past company was trying to rush to get us back in the office - here we have full company meetings every 2 or so weeks to keep us updated on whats happening, and what the plans are. And the thing that has really struck me is the commitment from leaders to making sure their employees feel safe and supported through childcare reimbursements, flexible scheduling, and a very clear message that in essence "we trust you to do your job - we don't have to see you in person to know that". Its a breath of fresh air and I am extremely happy my cold feet didn't get the best of me and I made the move!

Cons

I've never met my co-workers in person - I talk and joke with them every day and feel like I have a great, easy relationship (very comforting for when you've only known each other virtually!) but I would love to be able to grab lunch with them and just chat sooner than later!

July 15, 2020Talent Sourcing Lead

Thank you!! We truly appreciate your open feedback! We are happy to hear your onboarding has been going well and are so glad you are enjoying your experience here at BCBSMA. Open and collaborative communication is essential to great teams (both virtually and in office). I'm positive your coworkers want to go to lunch with you as well! We thank you sharing your experience and for Bringing your True Colors to Blue! If you have any further feedback to share please email us at talent@bcbsma.com

"Easy remote onboarding/learning for new hire"

Current Employee - Actuarial Analyst in Boston, MA

Pros

Collaborative, friendly environment. Onboarding remotely was much easier than I imagined. Support /great management. Lots of learning materials/opportunities so getting up to speed on how the business operates was also easier/quicker than expected.

Cons

None that I can see so far!

July 15, 2020Talent Sourcing Lead

We truly appreciate your time to let us know how we're doing. We are happy to hear your feedback on our collaborative environment and are so glad you are enjoying your experience here at BCBSMA. We thank you sharing your experience and for Bringing your True Colors to Blue! If you have any further feedback to share please email us at talent@bcbsma.com

4. COVID-19

"New and loving it"

Current Employee - Director of IT Audit in Boston, MA

Pros

Great pay, great benefits, full support of executive management for progression and training, collaborative tools have been provided to ensure there is not disruption during training/ops/meetings/onboarding, excellent work+life balance, and a very "people first" type of culture.

Cons

Large company, complex systems, many policies and procedures across various areas, a lot to learn in order to be self-sufficient.

July 15, 2020Talent Sourcing Lead

We truly appreciate your candor! We are happy to hear your feedback on our compensation/benefits as well as our culture and are so glad you are enjoying your experience here at BCBSMA. We thank you sharing your feedback and for Bringing your True Colors to Blue! If you have any further feedback to share please email us at talent@bcbsma.com

5. "Virtual Onboarding"

Current Employee - Provider Service Representative in Hingham Center, MA

Pros

Caring, supportive management. Incredible culture. Unlimited growth potential. Career minded - not just focused on current position.

Cons

Have yet to find any cons!

July 15, 2020Talent Sourcing Lead

We truly appreciate your candor! We are happy to hear your feedback on our culture and internal mobility focus and are so glad you are enjoying your experience here at BCBSMA. We thank you sharing your experience and for Bringing your True Colors to Blue! If you have any further feedback to share please email us at talent@bcbsma.com

6. "As Good As It Gets!"

Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA

Pros

Blue Cross is a company of really smart people that all work towards a goal and you can tell the employees have a passion for making healthcare better. The benefits, especially retirement, are amazing and there's lot of smaller benefits like paid days off for community service and fitness rewards and reimbursements that all add up. Culture is authentically friendly, respectful, and driven by collaboration.

Cons

Its a company that truly wants a lot of perspectives so you spend a lot of time soliciting input and feedback in order to drive projects forward.

July 22, 2020Talent Sourcing Lead

We are so glad to hear you are enjoying your time here at Blue Cross Blue Shield of MA! We are happy to hear your feedback on our company culture and we are happy to have you on our journey to transform healthcare. We thank you sharing your experience and for Bringing your True Colors to Blue! If you have any further feedback to share please email us at talent@bcbsma.com.

"Great work life balance"

Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Quincy, MA

Pros

Excellent ben vacation and holiday pay

Cons

Little flexibility woth time schedule

"Great Company"

4.0
    Former Employee - Dental Provider Service in Hingham, MA

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts full-time for less than a year

Pros

HR/President /BCBSMA really cares about their employees. Free parking and discounted kitchen and the food is delicious. The company is diverse , people from all walks of life.

Cons

The call center can be brutal with consistent phone calls back to back and the 18 months commitment I couldn’t take in a call center. I have nothing personally against or cons for BCBSMA.

9. "Average Place to Work"

Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Quincy, MA

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great coworkers which are great friends now

Cons

The calls at times can be emotionally draining.

10. "Great Culture"

Current Employee - Fullstack Developer in Boston, MA

Pros

Love the culture and life-work balance. Really nice benefits

Cons

Pay may not be as high as other companies

Found 257 reviews