BounceX Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

BounceX Reviews

Updated 19 Dec 2019

4.1
BounceX Co-Founder & CEO Ryan Urban (no image)
Ryan Urban
Pros
  • "While many companies claim to operate this way, Bounce Exchange is a rare place where you actually get out of it what you put into it(in 13 reviews)

• "Some genuinely great people work here so it's easy to make friends(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Yes we work hard and sometimes that means long hours but that's simply because a high percentage of people who work here are incredibly driven(in 14 reviews)

• "Work-life balance can be a challenge but, at least for me, the work is exciting enough that I’m happy to dedicate much of my time to BounceX(in 12 reviews)

"Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

I have been working at BounceX full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great Work/Life Balance - Interesting products with amazing upside - Large investment in engineering recently - Top-level benefits (401K, WFH Policy, Top Medical/Dental/Vision, etc...) for a company of our size - Tremendous opportunities for growth if you put the work in - Amazing brand new office/location (1 World Trade Center) - Greatly emphasizes Diversity & Inclusion boasting 8 Employee Resource Groups - Tons of cross-collaboration amongst teams - Invested HR department

Cons

- Challenging environment for someone who is not a self-starter - Fast-paced...A positive for many but something to note if you are looking for something traditional

BounceX2019-12-20

"Great People, Great Company."

Former Employee - SDR in London, England

I worked at BounceX full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Amazing Culture (driven, intelligent people who are also incredibly friendly and nice to be around) -Great Perks such as team building, snacks, healthcare, flexible working, nights out , gym membership, (both sponsored and unorganised drinks with colleagues) -Fantastic place to learn and earn As someone who hadn't tended to "drink the cool aide" previously. I found it impossible to resist and genuinely saw going to work everyday as going to spend a day working towards a common goal with my friends. This isn't to say it is an unprofessional place to work. The people are truly the cream of the crop and my experience of EMEA management was one which I learned an awful lot from. Rob, Shell and Jacq (EMEA GM and EMEA Marketing Director and EMEA Customer success Director) are all amazing at what they do and also truly great people to be around.

Cons

-Not always a huge amount of visibility into the US business but the company has initiatives to try and address this (Buddy programme, frequent visits from US colleagues, Sales Kick-Off in NYC etc)

BounceX2019-11-07
  3. "Great Place for Data Science"

Former Employee - Data Scientist in New York, NY

I worked at BounceX full-time for more than a year

Pros

Large databases make it possible to do interesting data science Innovative work culture, you're free to try a lot of things on your own

Cons

Data Science team is new so if you do not have an entrepreneurial/self-starter mindset, the place will not suit you.

BounceX2019-11-09

"Learn what you can and move on"

I worked at BounceX full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Really enjoyable coworkers who are generally smart and hardworking. People are dedicated and want to get the job done. HR seems invested but can only do so much. Lots of opportunity due to turnover and lack of senior employees.

Cons

Salaries are below industry average for “tech”, way more investment in sales than product, legacy leadership issues

BounceX2019-11-02
  5. "Inclusive workplace"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at BounceX full-time for more than a year

Pros

BounceX currently has 8 employee resource groups (ERGs): 7 in the NYC office, and 1 in our London office. The ERGs represent various underrepresented communities within BounceX: disability, gender, gender identity, race, ethnicity, generations, and sexual orientation. It's super cool to witness our ERGs thriving, and partnering with our business and senior leaders to make BounceX a place where all employees belong. We also have an Allyship workshop led by our D&I Lead that provides employees with the language and resources to support colleagues inside and outside of the office.

Cons

We still have work to do fully realize our goal of being the best place to work. Once we are able to provide our leaders with the tools and resources to mitigate bias in decision making, we will be much closer to our goal.

BounceX2019-10-29

"Don't Believe the hype"

Former Employee - Sales in London, England

I worked at BounceX full-time

Pros

The CEO is good, but don't expect to see much of him.

Cons

It's like a cult. You can't say a bad word. BX does a great job of making it look like it's the place to be from the outside, but the reality is quite different. It has an unpopular, expensive and hard to integrate product in a very crowded Martech / email marketplace. There are also some big egos and arrogance containimating the atmosphere, in what is a small team (so there's no escaping it). I saw a guy in the US get fired for bad mouthing at a private party at the weekend. In london going for a drink and having a moan after a hard week is part of our culture. Its extremely restrictive in that sense you have to "drink the cool aid" at all times. Its false. The UK team is still very much a satellite of the USA and there are a few Americans that struggle with british business culture compounding the atmosphere. It hasn't emulated the success of the US as they have been inflexible (arrogant) with go to market strategies here, and the product is significantly less powerful than the US version due to EU data privacy laws.

BounceX2019-11-05
  7. "Great Company, Amazing People!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at BounceX full-time for less than a year

Pros

BounceX is one of the most amazing places I’ve ever worked. The people who work here are some of the most driven, passionate, and friendliest co-workers I’ve ever had in my life. Everyone is always ready to lend a hand if you’re in need (regardless of being on a different team). The leadership team is also truly invested in everything that goes on in the company which is extremely nice to see. The leadership team is also so welcoming and will have a conversation with you. I’ve always worked in places where you kind of don’t speak to leadership until you’re spoken to but that’s not the case here! The work at BounceX is extremely incredible. Everyone enjoys what they do and everyones ideas and thoughts are taken into consideration, always. People also push themselves to get the best results. I also really love how important employee happiness is to the company. We have wonderful Employee Resource Groups that make our workspace very inclusive. We also have events that bring everyone together.

Cons

I know I, like many others here, struggle with working a lot. I’ve never been required to stay late (my manager often tells me to leave!) I just think that some people just want to work as hard as they can regardless of time. It’s also very easy to lose track of time when you work with such amazing people.

BounceX2019-10-25
  8. "Great engineering team"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at BounceX full-time for less than a year

Pros

Smart driven people. Lots of great opportunity. Quiet work area.

Cons

Elevator ride is too long.

BounceX2019-10-22
  9. "Expect to work hard and put in long hours"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at BounceX full-time for more than a year

Pros

You will learn more skills than you thought possible - from client relationship management, to analytics, inner-workings of ESPs and working through contract retention situations. If you're able to put in long hours, work really hard, and continue to learn as you go, you'll do well. It also helps if you love marketing, branding, and the ever-growing world of ecommerce.

Cons

Not suited for all personalities. Need to want to get ahead, constantly vouch for yourself to get recognition, getting promoted / getting a raise is no easy feat and requires a lot of persistence. It's very easy to mess up, so most workers feel stressed and over-worked.

BounceX2019-10-15

""Like a family" - an extremely dysfunctional one"

Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at BounceX full-time

Pros

The people! If nothing else, I walked away from this company with some lifelong friends. BounceX is fantastic when it comes to hiring smart, down-to-earth, fun and interesting people. Also, if you work on one of the newer products the tech stack is pretty cool - Go, Docker, Kubernetes etc. BounceX is dealing with some really interesting technical challenges at scale, which is compelling from an engineering perspective - but not nearly compelling enough to mitigate the extreme dysfunction.

Cons

I'd describe BounceX's operating model as "third world tin-pot dictatorship." Senior leadership is nonexistent after a string of high profile departures this summer. The company once had a promising leadership team but after the recent turmoil many of the remaining leaders are unqualified and were promoted only because of personal relationships. This is particularly true of the product and engineering teams; I have never worked in a more dysfunctional tech org in my life. BounceX went through two CTOs in a span of six months, and when the second one (a fantastic leader for whom we all had high hopes) departed in May all hell broke loose. Actual engineering leaders were completely sidelined by a couple of people who wanted to bring the company back to the way it was run in 2013 when it was a tiny startup operating with no product team, no process, and no concern for scalability. It was truly wild, like a plot line on Silicon Valley, and it completely obliterated morale on the team. Don't just take my word for it: ~50% of the product and engineering org has quit since June.

BounceX2019-09-02

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 120 reviews