Bremer & Whyte Llp Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Bremer & Whyte Llp Reviews

Updated 30 Jan 2020

4.0
Bremer & Whyte Llp Founding Principal Nicole Whyte (no image)
Nicole Whyte
Pros
  • "Camaraderie among co-workers, solid Team Leader, enjoyable work environment(in 7 reviews)

• "(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "No cons untill 2021 when I return to suprise the republic in Cali(in 6 reviews)

• "Hitting that target can nonetheless result in no bonus paid (see below)(in 4 reviews)

1. "Autonomy in a great atmosphere"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Bremer & Whyte Llp full-time for less than a year

Pros

Well-oiled on-boarding process Clear power structure Free parking (crucial in Downtown SD) Experienced office administrator that has been with the firm for 5+ years Access to superiors/employee resources for instruction Well regarded firm that is still growing in large carrier market share Partners are willing to write letters of recommendation/involved in employee growth outside of the firm

Cons

Some turnover Somewhat cliquey which can be intimidating for introverted/newer employees, but BWBO has planned several employee get-togethers to improve on this

Bremer & Whyte Llp2020-01-30
  2. "Opportunities for Growth and Development"

Former Employee - Senior Associate Attorney in San Diego, CA

I worked at Bremer & Whyte Llp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I worked at the San Diego office of Bremer Whyte Brown & O'Meara ("BW") as both a law clerk and senior associate. During my time as a law clerk, the partners and attorneys provided guidance and mentorship that many of my classmates were missing at their clerkships. BW provided me with opportunity to work closely with the attorneys so that I could learn the practice of law. This experience laid the foundation for me as an attorney. Following law school, BW hired me as an associate attorney. BW offered me the autonomy to develop and grow as an attorney while being closely mentored by all of the partners and attorneys. At the onset, I was taking and defending depositions, drafting motions, and attending court hearings and mediations. Throughout this time, the partners and attorneys made sure I was prepared for everything and were available 24/7 to answer any questions and to offer assistance. The partners and attorneys wanted me to feel ownership over my cases and made it clear to any counsel, mediators, clients, or judges that the cases were under my control and that despite my youth I excelled at my work. BW's focus was my development and growth as an attorney. The partners and attorneys also provided me with the opportunity to interact closely with clients and develop long lasting relationships with the clients. Based on the lessons taught by the partners and attorneys, I learned to develop friendships with the clients which resulted in clients turning to BW for any legal issues. I was also introduced to marketing potential clients to develop my own book of business. As any attorney knows, you cannot practice law if you do not have clients. I now work at a firm where BW is opposing counsel in some of my cases. I know that in every case with BW that I will be dealing with competent counsel who will advocate for his/her client. I continue to turn to the partners and attorneys at BW to discuss novel and complex legal issues. I built life long friendships at BW and would not be in the position I am now without the guidance, mentorship, and development opportunities provided by the partners and attorneys at BW.

Cons

I do not have any cons of BW.

Bremer & Whyte Llp2019-12-11
  3. "Loved working here!"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Diego, CA

I worked at Bremer & Whyte Llp part-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked there for almost two years and would still be there if I didn't move out of state. The people are very kind and I loved coming to work. I gained a lot of experience working in my position and was thankful for the opportunity to expand my skills further. They were also very accommodating to the fact that I was a student in school and my schedule would change.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Bremer & Whyte Llp2019-12-04
  4. "Great experience with Civil Litigation Defense firm."

Current Employee - Associate Attorney in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at Bremer & Whyte Llp full-time for less than a year

Pros

Camaraderie among co-workers, solid Team Leader, enjoyable work environment.

Cons

None thus far in my experience.

Bremer & Whyte Llp2019-12-03
  5. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Senior Associate Attorney in San Diego, CA

I worked at Bremer & Whyte Llp full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I worked at BWB&O in the San Diego office for 7 years. I started as a law clerk and after I passed the bar, was hired as an associate attorney. I have nothing but positive things to say about the firm and in particular the people I worked with in the San Diego office. First, as a new associate I was given the opportunity to handle my cases as I saw fit, obviously with input from the partners in the office. I was not micromanaged. Early on, I was conducting depositions, performing motion practice, and first chairing mediations. I benefited from having these opportunities as a young attorney and based on my discussions with others in the industry, that is not always the case. The firm had an open door policy and I routinely took advantage of it. Anytime I had a question the partners would take time out of their day to discuss it and come up with creative solutions. I truly felt supported in my role. I appreciate the feedback I received both positive and constructive from the management in the San Diego office. The firm and its clients have high standards and expectations, and the feedback I was provided with helped achieve better results for the firm's clients, and made me a better lawyer. The support staff I worked with during my time at the firm was also for the most part excellent. I built lasting relationships with many of the employees I worked with in the San Diego office. BWB&O was like a family for me and I still feel that way. That was probably the most valuable aspect about working there. Civil litigation is stressful enough as it is. Having the opportunity to work with good people that took a personal interest in my professional development and my personal life like they did at BWB&O made my experience that much better. BWB&O really is a great place to work.

Cons

I cannot think of any right now.

Bremer & Whyte Llp2019-11-25

"Come for the experience, but don't expect to stay very long."

Former Employee - Associate Attorney in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Bremer & Whyte Llp full-time for more than a year

Pros

They hire lots of new attorneys, so it's a good place to get started and gain some experience.

Cons

Not a lot of help from supervisors. Due to everyone being new there is not a lot of people to ask for help with novel legal issues you come across. It's not a place people stay for the long term.

Bremer & Whyte Llp2019-12-06
  7. "Great Learning Environment"

Current Employee - Law Clerk

I have been working at Bremer & Whyte Llp full-time for less than a year

Pros

The firm has a diverse group of attorneys who are willing to help and teach.

Cons

Fast paced, heavy work load.

Bremer & Whyte Llp2019-11-19

"This place is a revolving door"

Current Employee - Attorney in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Bremer & Whyte Llp full-time for less than a year

Pros

They pay for all of your health insurance. They have social events. The staff and associates are mostly great to work with.

Cons

While the staff and associates are nice to work with, the partners at this office make it a miserable place to be. People are constantly quitting and they fail to take any responsibility for their behavior. They treat the associates like they are disposable. One of the partners is constantly yelling at the associates and makes degrading comments behind their backs to other associates. He believes himself to be demanding, except he fails to see that his conduct is rude, degrading and unacceptable. He has very little respect for the attorneys. He incessantly sends long drawn out emails and expects an immediate response. You end up wasting most of your day responding to his emails instead of getting your work done. He leaves things until the last minute and then expects everyone to drop everything for him. You are expected to and often encouraged to work nights and weekends. The work load is very high and demanding. There are no paralegals and the assistance are only their for minimal tasks such as calendaring and filings. They hire new law clerks every 3-4 months, but by the time the law clerks are trained, they hire a new set. The law clerks have to bill for their work. The other partner who is rarely ever in the office is always "too busy" to provide any guidance or help on the cases. If you're a new associate you are expected to know how to handle a case, then get reprimanded for making a decision that is different than what they would do. Even if it is a simple judgement call that doesn't effect the case. You cannot make changes to your billing, so if you make a mistake you have to email accounting and the partner and have them delete or fix the mistake. Then you get reprimanded for making mistakes on your billing. You're required to have all of your billing in daily and if you don't you get a nasty email that is sent to HR about how you're violating firm policy. The attorneys are expected to save all documents that are emailed or mailed to the firm, immediately . If a partner sends out an email, you are expected to save it for him. The saving process is not quick, so you spend a lot of time saving emails everyday. You are micromanaged and must copy the partners on all emails that you send out, they claim it is so they can be updated in the event a client asks them questions. But, when a client asks them a question, they expect the handling attorney to answer it, so its really a function of micromanagement. They have calendar meetings every Friday at random times with 5-30 minutes notice and they expect you to be there or you get reprimanded. During the calendar meetings, the partner takes the opportunity to tear the associates apart for their work. By the time you receive a new file, the partner has already billed for reviewing all of the documents, drafting an answer and discovery requests. This work is done hastily and often riddled with mistakes that you later have to clean up. They are also very gossipy and try get dirt on their associates. The partners' assistant tells them everything that goes on in the office.

Bremer & Whyte Llp2019-11-22

"Stepping Stone"

Current Employee - Associate Attorney

I have been working at Bremer & Whyte Llp full-time for more than a year

Pros

Can be an opportunity for a young attorney to have a stepping stone into litigation, or a paycheck for an older attorney who never generated book. In-house IT support is helpful. The few partners who are truly involved in their matters and invested in mentorship are great. But most partners do not fall into this category. The firm attempts to branch outside of its core insurance defense practice, so there can be limited opportunities for other types of legal work. But the sophistication of that work and the subject matter expertise of the supervising attorneys (if any) can be limited.

Cons

Base compensation is generally below market. Annual reviews (and therefore pay increases) are not guaranteed and can be very challenging to receive. No transparent or defined criteria for advancement or partnership. Minimum hours requirement is well above market, equating to 2,000 hours per year. Hitting that target can nonetheless result in no bonus paid (see below). The firm will scrutinize your hours billed on a daily basis. The hours-based bonus is measured on a quarterly basis, and is an absolute joke. It is well below market for both the hours required and the pay received. There is no base incentive for originating business. Turnover for attorneys and staff alike is extremely high across the board (75%-plus). The firm cannot afford (or will not pay) for good talent, and has difficultly retaining what good talent it manages to get in the door. Quality of support staff hired is very hit or miss, and attorneys can have a lack of adequate support. Legal assistants are used to perform paralegal functions, and law clerks are used to perform associate attorney functions. Despite in-house IT, the technology available is limited. No laptops for attorneys; limited and barely workable remote access. Firm's adherence to the rules of professional conduct is inconsistent.

Bremer & Whyte Llp2019-10-05
  10. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Accounts Receivable and Payable in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Bremer & Whyte Llp full-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked in the accounting department for about 2 years, and have nothing but positive things to say. They treat all their employees with tremendous respect, and make everyone feel like they are important. Very approachable management that listens and is always willing to help. I definitely believe that this job helped me grow tremendously, and am very thankful for the opportunity that they gave me.

Cons

I can't think of any

Bremer & Whyte Llp2019-09-05