CJ Affiliate by Conversant Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

2.8
CJ Affiliate by Conversant President Waleed Al-Atraqchi
Waleed Al-Atraqchi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work/life balance is like any place" (in 6 reviews)

• "Great people; interesting work; laid back environment;" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "CJ was once a company that embraced work/life balance but now it's nothing but a sweatshop" (in 4 reviews)

• "Or the tools we do have are totally outdated and upper management is clueless" (in 5 reviews)

"Amazing Career Development Opps"

Pros

This industry is demanding, competitive and always changing. If you are a hard worker who is open minded, you will begin to use the adaptability and flexibility this job teaches you as a strength, rather than seeing it as weakness. The work, is no doubt, challenging. You need to be motivated, proactive and downright assertive at times. But learning to navigate the company and difficult clients has been one of the greatest skills CJ has given me in terms of professional development.

Management has gone through a ton of changes recently - I personally don't think this is that abnormal, given past companies I've worked at. It's part of the gig working in digital. As such, most people don't like change nor do they like being pushed out of their comfort zones. Frankly, there has been a much needed change in accountability and pushing people to critically think instead of sticking to the status quo. There was a long period of complacency and nice managers who didn't push their teams. But CJ doesn't want people to work longer and harder, they want you to work smarter.

Culture is great. Employees become best friends. This isn't a startup with the proclivity to cater lunch every day but they try to make up for it. You will be hard pressed to find a company this size with the WFH policy we have, the flexible vacation package, insurance (which BTW, our parent company decides, not the CJ President) , a full 401k match, stock options and plenty of early release days. Work/life balance is like any place. We have busy seasons, we lose team members. We have light seasons and less work. Neither lasts forever.

Cons

While I agree with the messages new management is driving, often times they are delivered in a way that is not effective. Fear will never be a great motivator.

Product development has been interesting. CJ tends to do this thing where we push and sell a certain "hot topic" but literally have zero means from a product level to support it. Or the tools we do have are totally outdated and upper management is clueless. This always comes back to the account teams who are left scrambling to fill in the blanks and pushed to sell the client on why we are the best (even if you know that's not true in this particular area).

Advice to Management

Listen. Listen. Listen. Literally just stop talking so much. The best leaders listen and then take action. If you show people you are truly invested in their growth and professional development, rather than trying to stump them in a team meeting, people will respect you and the work they are doing so much more.

Face the retention issue head-on. Little perks matter and keep people around. Can we get an ice cream truck again this summer?

"10/10 Would Recommend"

Current Employee - Anonymous- Advertiser Development
    Current Employee - Anonymous- Advertiser Development

I have been working at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The career development and training you receive here is invaluable… it’s extremely motivating to work under brilliant people who are willing to teach and always encourage you to be the best and most critical thinking version of yourself. This is a place to develop your business skills from every angle... There is nothing cut and dry about this job. It is ever evolving and ever-challenging in a really exciting way.

Managers are not only brilliant but also understanding and always advocating for their employees! Not to mention flexible time-off and work from home options worked into the system make this job extremely compatible with living your best life. Fun quarterly team adventures, great parties, and a great work/life balance.

Cons

Not ideal for the tactical, check-list person-- this job requires serious self-motivation and drive to excel.

C'mon-- seriously where are the snacks?! Or a latte cart once a month?

Advice to Management

If you want to hire the best of the best-- get competitive and get your name out there. Companies are getting more aggressive and we're losing ground by not retaining our talent. We are given lofty goals from our clients and we need well-rounded teams to accomplish them-- keep it up with the training and the perks. Don't let employees get lost in the big corporate game-- making people feel seen and valued goes a long way for business and I think you're generally doing a great job.

"Best Place I've ever worked"

I have been working at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The place is supportive, creative, and employee driven.

Cons

Employee appreciation of how good it is to work here.

"Best place to work I have found so far"

I have been working at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time

Pros

Lots of smart people to learn from.
    They actually do pairing and test driven development.
    Broken up into 4-6 person engineering teams that are allowed to make their own decisions.
    Haven't seen any political infighting, which is pretty rare, but maybe I was unlucky before now.

Cons

There is a large code base over ten years old that we still maintain.

Advice to Management

Whatever you are doing to prevent office politics, keep it up, it so much nicer than what I am used to.

"Great culture, supportive leadership, fulfilling work."

Former Employee - Account Manager in Santa Barbara, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Santa Barbara, CA (US)

I worked at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing culture, especially in the main Santa Barbara office - colleagues become friends and bosses become those rare managers that are personally invested in your success and your growth.

The work itself is challenging but fulfilling - it's a fast-paced industry and to succeed and be happy within it you need to be a self-starter with the desire to learn and grow and be flexible enough to move fast and pivot often. It's a great company to build marketable skills that you'll be able to leverage in any future job across a wide range of industries.

Org/structure changes are expected when new leadership comes on board - volatility is hard, but most of that difficulty just boils down to growing pains. There were a lot of processes that were previously in place for the wrong reason - i.e. because it had always been done that way and it was too hard to change. I think that the company is on the right track - great leadership in place to make the right decisions to ensure that CJ continues to grow and innovate.

Cons

While leadership has been moving the company toward product investment over the last few years, there's still a gap that needs to be made up - the size of the company can sometimes hinder product innovation.

Pay is often not on par with industry standard - the experience that I got during my years there offset the salary gap ten times over, but just something to be aware of.

Advice to Management

The ability to build and update products without red tape is a luxury that our competitors are taking advantage of. Keep pushing for product innovation and don't just ask teams to move fast and work hard - give them tangible dollar incentives to do so. Raising the bar on comp for your people is not a short-term cost, it's a long-term investment in success.

"Not what it used to be"

I have been working at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time

Pros

There are some great people at CJ and you will make some lifetime friends. You do get great experience, just sometimes not worth the stress.

Cons

The newer upper management’s philosophy is work more and do more with less people. The workload is overwhelming and the pay is less than the industry average. It’s been a stressful environment being pushed to sell to clients. Flex time off policy makes people feel as if they can’t take time off.

Advice to Management

Don’t push people to their breaking points and reevaluate company goals as it has seemingly turned into a sales focused company that doesn’t care about their employees.

"Great place to work"

Pros

1. Tons of autonomy
    2. Extremely collaborative environment
    3. Great values

Cons

No cons as of yet!

"Only Good for Recent Grads- Not Long-term"

I have been working at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time

Pros

- Really nice people in general. Everyone is friendly and welcoming
    - Good resume builder to get your foot in the door at a professional company
    - Not a particularly high salary, but decent for entry level.

Cons

- Salary does not scale well as you move up the company
    - Opportunities for growth become scarce after one promotion
    - Upper management completely changed recently. It is now a boy's club of old friends at the top. This is openly discussed among employees. Employees are uninspired by leadership.
    -Moral is LOW, many long time employees at the company say the company has gone downhill and they feel the company no longer cares. I have seen several people leave the company and know of more who are looking for new opportunities actively, some who have been here 5-10 years.
    - More work is being thrown at employees without proper resources to support it. Instead of hiring another person or persons, they overfill everyone's plates and in addition add extra pointless tasks on top of our already full plate (they say this is meant to help us develop and shouldn't be extra work, but that's exactly what it is).

Advice to Management

- Hire more people instead of blaming employees for not being able to do the work of 2-3 people and moving work around
    - Listen to your employees and realize you may be in a bubble at the top levels of management

"Started strong but downhill from there"

Current Employee - Associate Account Manager in Westborough, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Account Manager in Westborough, MA (US)

I have been working at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People you get to work with. Everyone is willing to help, majority of the time with a positive attitude. Other departments also happy to help with any questions.

Cons

- management is all over the place. One day it’s this, the next it’s completely different
    - stacks work upon work even when they know you are already at your limit
    - turnover rate is said to be “normal” but people seem to drop left and right
    - not much room to move up. Only can if someone else above you leaves, and even then you go against every other office so someone could take over who has significantly less experience, just better at interviewing
    - recognition is essentially a joke. You can maybe earn points for perks, but the same people are the ones getting recognized
    - employees are taking a TON of advantage of the flexible vacation time and sick days. Some people will take weeks off while others take one or two to save them up, then the ones who use over two weeks get even more. Management doesn’t entirely seem to care

Advice to Management

Stick to a plan and stop shifting so quickly. It causes massive workloads for employees and leaves the good ones to pick up the pieces of the others who come in late and leave early

"If you are useless and incompetent, this is the company for you"

I have been working at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Let me start off by saying that CJ used to be an amazing company to work for. In its heyday, CJ was the best affiliate network in the industry. The President cared about its employees, you were encouraged to maintain a normal work schedule and spend time with your family, and your co-workers/bosses supported you to grow within the organization. Fast forward to today - new President who could care less about you or your well-being. Leadership that is so sales-driven, they've completely lost sight of the core values CJ was founded on. High, high, high turn over - so you are now doing the work of 3 people but still being told your work is not good enough (because heaven-forbid you use the wrong font in a power-point deck). It's a sinking ship. Trust the bad reviews - they ain't lying. The only pro to this place today is that's a great stepping stone to getting experience and building relationships. With some luck, you might find a company/client to work for that actually values you and your hard work. However, client retention hasn't been great either, so I wouldn't bank on that.

Cons

I don't even know where to begin.....

It's bad people! If you are terrible at your job and you do the bare minimum BUT you send a couple emails late at night and really suck-up to leadership, you will do fantastic here! Shoot, you will likely get promoted within months. If you have any type of work ethic or integrity and you work really hard during normal business hours, expect a ton of work and absolutely no gratitude. Also, expect terrible medical benefits. I mean terrible. That's on top of the very mediocre pay and unrealistic goals (no bonus for you). If you play your cards right, you might get a 2-3% increase annually, but no guarantee there.

Advice to Management

ADS - fire these people! How is this man still in charge of the company?? Fire everyone he's hired too. Then re-hire people who actually understand this industry and cares about PEOPLE and not NUMBERS. You can probably just source from all the amazing leaders that peaced-out or were booted out thanks to our President. Also, stop promoting people into mgmt roles without any type of mgmt training. It's just bad. Lastly, stop asking us to vote for any of the company divisions as the "Best Places to Work". Are you reading these reviews? Get serious.