CJ Affiliate by Conversant Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

2.9
CJ Affiliate by Conversant President Waleed Al-Atraqchi
Waleed Al-Atraqchi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work/life balance is like any place" (in 7 reviews)

• "People at CJ are very passionate about computer science and will happily share their knowledge" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "CJ was once a company that embraced work/life balance but now it's nothing but a sweatshop" (in 5 reviews)

• "Or the tools we do have are totally outdated and upper management is clueless" (in 6 reviews)

"A downward slope"

Former Employee - Account Representative
    Former Employee - Account Representative

I worked at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers,
    Free food,
    Fun perks,
    Decent benefits,
    Company makes an effort to keep employees happy,
    Friendly environment.

Cons

This company is quickly losing all of its experienced employees for better places and cannot replace/train fast enough.
    Very low salary for this industry and the women are getting paid less.
    Very little work/life balance, you're just asked to keep working at all times at all hours and they don't offer any overtime pay.
    Can be extremely high-stress.
    Extreme life quality differences depending on what clients you get assigned.
    If people quit you may get all of their workload.
    Worried the company will lose all experienced management and collapse.

Advice to Management

You can't simply tell people they have to keep working past 5pm when the work from clients could be endless. You also can't endlessly keep pushing work onto all your employees with no incentives. It's 2018 and people are going to talk about their salaries, don't be surprised when your employees are upset with pay discrimination.

CJ Affiliate by Conversant Response

15 Oct 2018 – Content Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your recognition that the company makes efforts to keep our employees happy! We also take your concerns very seriously and do take great care to monitor our... More

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Digital Account Coordinator in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Digital Account Coordinator in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They really want their employees to have a good work/life balance, and strive for good morale. Coworkers are friendly and collaborative. Opportunity to learn more about digital marketing, as well as develop yourself professionally. We are under a large company so there are great benefit to that, but the CJ team is smaller so you never get lost in the large corporation. Management listens to employees, you have a voice and it is heard.

Cons

Lots of calls/meetings to let clients know what we are doing & to justify our service. Many don't fully understand affiliate marketing and its breadth so you have to explain. Pay is lower than other companies for similar work, but you can learn lots of things to elevate your position in the company.

"Running out of steam"

I worked at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time

Pros

Great place to start your career and build a foundation in digital marketing.

-Overall great people to work with
    -Good benefits
    -Great training and learning opportunities

Cons

-Management. Upper management has been at the helm for a few years but still has little grasp of the dynamics of the business. Decisions are issued and retracted quickly. Aggressive personalities make it difficult to have a constructive discussion about the path forward. You essentially need to get in everyone's face to advance your ideas. This in turn leads to similar personalities getting promoted and the cycle continues. Meanwhile, talented employees leave. Cronyism is also an issue.

-Technology. Great engineers, but tech is dated with the pace of innovation slow. Likewise, much of the work is focused on catching up to the industry rather than creating modern solutions. This creates a lack of faith in the products employees are asked to sell, using some very creative descriptions of services that the company has no ability to provide.

-Turnover. High turnover among longtime employees, who were either forced out by management, or got fed up and left. Top talent does not stick around long. Turnover also high among clients, though sales has been good about filling in the hole.

-Culture. Culture has become more corporate since the acquisition. The company still tries to sell the Silicon Valley startup image but falls short. For example, you get flex time off, if you're taking the allowed amount of time off. Old traditions died with longtime employees leaving and the company culture is essentially forced from the top down via HR initiatives in line with management goals. Rank and file employees come in for a paycheck and are not particularly passionate about the work. Part of it goes back to the tech piece and knowing that no matter how inefficient something is, there is no way to change it in any meaningful way.

-Bottom of the ladder. Being part of ADS has benefits, but being at the bottom of ADS > Epsilon > Conversant > CJ, seriously hamstrings the company.

4. "Mistreating Employees & Going Downhill"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fellow co-workers are helpful and talented. I've become close friends with many of my CJ co-workers. The benefits (401k, flex time, etc.) are on-par with most other companies.

Cons

Toxic culture. Management revolves around politics and favoritism. They are losing all of the best and long-term employees due to mistreatment. Management doesn't care who is working hard, maintaining client satisfaction, or accomplishing their goals. Instead they care about their buddies and favorites, and leave the rest of the employees in the dust. The employees work hard on building a positive culture, but the management style has helped ruin that culture and pit people against each other. Pay is low compared to the rest of the industry, and they are extremely stingy with raises.

Advice to Management

You're losing all of your top talent.. start investing in your employees! Current directors and senior managers need to be replaced.

"Awesome people, but overwhelmed with underwhelming work"

Former Employee - Associate Client Integration Engineer in Westborough, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Associate Client Integration Engineer in Westborough, MA (US)

I worked at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great place to start your career.
    - Tons of training, and they ease you into actual work slowly, allowing plenty of time to familiarize yourself.
    - The people at CJ are great. My former department, Client Integrations, had some of the best people I'll probably ever meet in my career.
    - Pretty good benefits.

Cons

- Below industry average pay.
    - You will loaded up with what was in my opinion very underwhelming work. In my department, Client Integrations, I can tell you that calling it "engineering" as the title suggests is a long shot. Every single solution you look at is designed for you already, with only minor details needing to be worked out. It's technical consulting packaged into an attractive title.
    - But don't worry about actual work, because that doesn't matter. Leadership essentially only cares about your "Goals" which are side projects in addition to your actual work. If you have 1 or 2 hours a week to work on your goals you are lucky.
    - Most of the more advanced roles are filled by people who have been there for years, so moving up is an extremely slow process.
    - They will tell you there is tons of room to grow into other departments but you'll likely never see it or it'll be a long time before you do because management/leadership is utterly consumed with the work you're doing in your current role, without much concern for what you might like to do in the future.
    - The environment is corporate. You will likely follow a process Wiki page for every task you do, with the opportunity to pave a path forward or invent a new way of doing things being rare and difficult. It becomes unbearably mundane very quickly.

Advice to Management

My advice to any management reading this would be to care more about the day to day work your employees do, and care more about how they envision their future. Regardless of which department you're coming from, it's unlikely your staff see the role they're in as the last in their career. Specifically to the Client Integrations department - if you want to maintain technical talent, you need to find a way to make the day to day work more stimulating without piling on more goals.

"Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Engineers are given autonomy to choose the tools and processes that solve the business demands
    - Good work/life balance
    - Experienced and friendly colleagues
    - Cutting-edge technologies, agile development

Cons

- Nothing significant so far

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to feedback from the team members.

"Amazing Career Development Opps"

Pros

This industry is demanding, competitive and always changing. If you are a hard worker who is open minded, you will begin to use the adaptability and flexibility this job teaches you as a strength, rather than seeing it as weakness. The work, is no doubt, challenging. You need to be motivated, proactive and downright assertive at times. But learning to navigate the company and difficult clients has been one of the greatest skills CJ has given me in terms of professional development.

Management has gone through a ton of changes recently - I personally don't think this is that abnormal, given past companies I've worked at. It's part of the gig working in digital. As such, most people don't like change nor do they like being pushed out of their comfort zones. Frankly, there has been a much needed change in accountability and pushing people to critically think instead of sticking to the status quo. There was a long period of complacency and nice managers who didn't push their teams. But CJ doesn't want people to work longer and harder, they want you to work smarter.

Culture is great. Employees become best friends. This isn't a startup with the proclivity to cater lunch every day but they try to make up for it. You will be hard pressed to find a company this size with the WFH policy we have, the flexible vacation package, insurance (which BTW, our parent company decides, not the CJ President) , a full 401k match, stock options and plenty of early release days. Work/life balance is like any place. We have busy seasons, we lose team members. We have light seasons and less work. Neither lasts forever.

Cons

While I agree with the messages new management is driving, often times they are delivered in a way that is not effective. Fear will never be a great motivator.

Product development has been interesting. CJ tends to do this thing where we push and sell a certain "hot topic" but literally have zero means from a product level to support it. Or the tools we do have are totally outdated and upper management is clueless. This always comes back to the account teams who are left scrambling to fill in the blanks and pushed to sell the client on why we are the best (even if you know that's not true in this particular area).

Advice to Management

Listen. Listen. Listen. Literally just stop talking so much. The best leaders listen and then take action. If you show people you are truly invested in their growth and professional development, rather than trying to stump them in a team meeting, people will respect you and the work they are doing so much more.

Face the retention issue head-on. Little perks matter and keep people around. Can we get an ice cream truck again this summer?

"10/10 Would Recommend"

Current Employee - Anonymous- Advertiser Development
    Current Employee - Anonymous- Advertiser Development

I have been working at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The career development and training you receive here is invaluable… it’s extremely motivating to work under brilliant people who are willing to teach and always encourage you to be the best and most critical thinking version of yourself. This is a place to develop your business skills from every angle... There is nothing cut and dry about this job. It is ever evolving and ever-challenging in a really exciting way.

Managers are not only brilliant but also understanding and always advocating for their employees! Not to mention flexible time-off and work from home options worked into the system make this job extremely compatible with living your best life. Fun quarterly team adventures, great parties, and a great work/life balance.

Cons

Not ideal for the tactical, check-list person-- this job requires serious self-motivation and drive to excel.

C'mon-- seriously where are the snacks?! Or a latte cart once a month?

Advice to Management

If you want to hire the best of the best-- get competitive and get your name out there. Companies are getting more aggressive and we're losing ground by not retaining our talent. We are given lofty goals from our clients and we need well-rounded teams to accomplish them-- keep it up with the training and the perks. Don't let employees get lost in the big corporate game-- making people feel seen and valued goes a long way for business and I think you're generally doing a great job.

"Best Place I've ever worked"

I have been working at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The place is supportive, creative, and employee driven.

Cons

Employee appreciation of how good it is to work here.

"Best place to work I have found so far"

I have been working at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time

Pros

Lots of smart people to learn from.
    They actually do pairing and test driven development.
    Broken up into 4-6 person engineering teams that are allowed to make their own decisions.
    Haven't seen any political infighting, which is pretty rare, but maybe I was unlucky before now.

Cons

There is a large code base over ten years old that we still maintain.

Advice to Management

Whatever you are doing to prevent office politics, keep it up, it so much nicer than what I am used to.