California Casualty Reviews

Updated 22 Aug 2020

3.7
California Casualty President and CEO  Joe Volponi
Joe Volponi
Pros
  • "They are family owned business and values work-life balance(in 11 reviews)

• "The work environment feels inclusive and optimistic(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "No cons so far, apart from internal problems within departments(in 7 reviews)

• "Small company so not too many opportunity for growth(in 7 reviews)

1. "Below Average"

2.0
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Glendale, AZ

I worked at California Casualty full-time for more than a year

Pros

Compensation, Relaxed Dress code, Location

Cons

Micromanagement is a problem, nitpicking of phone calls, unrealistic sales goals. The atmosphere was good for awhile, but over the past year especially there is a strong toxic feeling throughout the company, especially since the new CEO took over. It is not uncommon to be in the breakroom and hear other employees come in and yell about how bad the changes the company is making. Small company so it will be near impossible to get time off if not planned far ahead. Not much room for advancement at this office. Recently the company has been struggling financially, and benefits are beginning to be cut as well as termination of employees.

Assistant Vice President, Service Manager

Thank you for sharing this feedback. 2020 has been an extraordinary year, with the largest software implementation in the company’s history…and then on top of that, along came an unprecedented pandemic. This year has certainly brought our fair share of change and challenges. The company remains strong and continues to move forward, confronting each challenge with the dedication and perseverance that California Casualty has been known for since our inception in 1914. As an organization, we remain financially stable. There are times we need to make business decisions to reduce expenses based on long term forecasts. As with most organizations, it is not uncommon and it is a part of doing business. With a great amount of change comes uncertainty and perhaps questions. The company welcomes questions and feedback from all employees at every level. Our open door policy means that employees are free to express their concerns through a variety of means - their manager, any other manager or to Human Resources. I do hope that during your time at California Casualty, you were able to take advantage of this important outlet. Every company has its own unique culture, mission and values. We take extra time and care in our interview process to help candidates evaluate if we are the right fit. The employee/employer relationship has to be mutually beneficial in order for it to be successful; it sounds like we may have been misaligned. I am sorry if you didn’t feel heard or appreciated. We do and will continue to embrace opportunities that place us as a top tier employer! We appreciate the contributions that you made to the company’s success and wish you the best in your next career endeavor.

2. "Really enjoy this company and the people who surround me"

Current Employee - Field Marketing Manager

I have been working at California Casualty full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible time management, understanding that life situation pop up, very supportive, great communication.

Cons

We as FMM's don't get to see each other enough, but that's the life of working in the field.

Assistant Vice President, Talent Acquisition Mgr & Sr. HR Business Partner

Thank you for taking the time to leave your thoughts about working at California Casualty. A work/life balance is very important to us at California Casualty. We can’t take care of our customers, if we don’t take care of ourselves! We appreciate all your contributions to make the company the success that it is today.

3. "Go In With Open Eyes"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at California Casualty full-time for more than a year

Pros

Affinity based property and casualty insurance company that works with law enforcement, firefighters, nurses and educators. Tries to live up to strong tradition of ethics and doing right by customers. Customer services is exceptional.

Cons

Recent changes have removed the "family" approach to employees and policy holders. Employees are judged by a spreadsheet and only for their value to the company. The management is looking at new "efficiencies" and revenue savings and that may affect salaries, bonuses, etc.

Assistant Vice President, Talent Acquisition Mgr & Sr. HR Business Partner

Thank you for your feedback. California Casualty’s ability to regularly adapt in a rapidly changing world has been instrumental to the company being in business for more than a century. We have to adjust so we can continue our mission of offering peace of mind to the individuals who are vital to the well-being of our communities. What has and what will remain constant is our commitment to providing our employees with an environment that is supportive of those who work incredibly hard to achieve our objective. We know that without our remarkable employees we cannot provide our customers with the very the best. We thank you for all your past contributions to our important mission.

4. "great company with great benefits"

Current Employee - Busineess Analyst in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at California Casualty full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great working culture with adequate benefits.

Cons

No cons so far, apart from internal problems within departments

Assistant Vice President, Talent Acquisition Mgr & Sr. HR Business Partner

Thank you for taking the time to leave your thoughts regarding California Casualty. We recognize that our success is dependent upon our talented employees, which is why our Leadership Development program includes an emphasis on coaching and developing employees. We want our employees to feel challenged, appreciated and engaged. We do have an open door policy, which means you can speak with your manager, your department manager, any other manager or Human Resources if you have any concerns. I recommend you reach out to discuss any issues you may be experiencing within departments. We want to hear from you. We appreciate the contributions that you have made to California Casualty and we wish you continued success!

5. "Great Company with good people"

Former Employee - Team Manager

I worked at California Casualty full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Solid compensation, 401k match and work hours (37.5 per week)

Cons

Some long tenured employees are low performers but are not managed out

Assistant Vice President, Talent Acquisition Mgr & Sr. HR Business Partner

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback regarding your time at California Casualty. As an organization, we recognize that our success is a result of our talented employees; therefore, we work hard to ensure that our compensation and benefits programs are competitive in the workplace. This is an area we keep a constant focus on throughout the year! We appreciate the contributions you made at California Casualty and wish you the best in your future endeavors.

6. "Awesome Company"

Former Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at California Casualty full-time for more than a year

Pros

The management is kind and considerate. They are always working to improve the communication between departments. The benefits and pay are very fair and it was nice to see that they reviewed their bonus structure while I worked there and made it more generous.

Cons

It is a call center and anyone who has ever worked in that role knows it can be taxing.

Vice President, Sales Manager

Thank you for your kind words-Culture is very important to us and we try to model the California Casualty Code in all we do. Our employees are critical and having solid working relationships within our Enterprise ensures our success, as we are all working towards the same goals! We do review compensation annually, as well as our internal bonus structures and appreciate your acknowledgement of being placed well in the marketplace. We are open to new ideas and continue to look for ways to make this one of the best places to work. Thank you for all your contributions while you were here and wish you the best in your future! Sincerely, Lisa Pearne

"So Grateful To Be A Part of This Team"

Current Employee - Outbound Sales Representative in Leawood, KS

I have been working at California Casualty full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, 37.5 hour work week, flexible schedule, the income potential is incredible, and the management team truly cares about each individual employee.

Cons

Any job you do will have its little stressors. This job is no different but the little stressors don’t even begin to outweigh all of the good here.

Vice President, Sales Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide this kind feedback! We strive to create a positive culture where hard work is rewarded. I’m glad you recognize the earning potential and appreciate the flexibility that is offered as the organization understands the importance of work/life balance. We value our employees who make a difference for our group members on a daily basis! Your success is our success! We want nothing more than to see all of our representatives succeed and experience the rewards that this position offers within California Casualty. Your opinion is valued and we have an open door policy if ever have any suggestions. We wish you the best in your continued career with us and thank you for your contributions!

8. "RESPECT - Employees with company longevity should be treated with respect."

Former Employee - Marketing in San Mateo, CA

I worked at California Casualty full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Stabile, Hardworking, Committed and Loyal Long-Term Employees

Cons

Company Lacks Diversity and Transparency No Opportunities for Advancement No Work/Life Balance

SVP Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. California Casualty takes great pride in the length of service of our employees – it is part of what makes us unique. We believe that this long tenure is a testament to how the company values and respects all of our employees. Our employee loyalty and smaller population is also one of the reasons why we have to think outside the box when it comes to all of our employee programs. For example, we have to go beyond the limited approach of traditional promotions to find other ways that our employees can grow their abilities and find satisfaction in their work. This focus on our unique employee demographic also means that we are always working to enhance our internal communications. We solicit suggestions for improvement from our employees, helping to enhance the annual all-employee events where senior executives share the successes and upcoming challenges our company faces. The employee feedback process has also driven changes to other aspects of our employee communication. We know that our employees are the key to our success and we are focused on addressing the whole employee lifecycle experience – from hiring to separation. We want our employees here for the long run and the proof that we are doing a lot of things right for them will be in continuing to maintain our outstanding employee longevity. We appreciate your contribution while with California Casualty and wish you the best in your endeavors.

9. "Good Company and Great Training"

4.0
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at California Casualty full-time for less than a year

Pros

Really good company serving first responders, educators and nurses. The training was excellent and maybe the best in my career! H,R. Dept is excellent as well.

Cons

Pay structure is weak and needs to be strengthened. It is mostly minimum wage with some salary and no residual income.

Sales Manager

Thank you for your feedback and acknowledging our valued group members, the “American Heroes” whom we serve. As an organization, we strive to provide our Sales Consultants the best start to their careers possible, and do value our training and agree our Human Resources Team is very effective and helpful. Creating an effective compensation structure in a sales department is always a challenge. We are constantly evaluating our compensation structure within Sales both internally and our competitiveness within the marketplace. Within the Inbound Sales position, we offer a higher base hourly wage with bonus potential, as compared to our Outbound position which has a lower base with a higher commission potential. Our Outbound Sales average compensation is currently well positioned in regards to income potential with the majority of our reps earning substantial success and income. We will continue to do our utmost to ensure the income potential for our Sales team members remains competitive and a positive motivator within our environment. We do appreciate the contributions you made while with our team and wish you only the best for your future endeavors.

10. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Kansas City, MO

I worked at California Casualty full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great starting pay, in-classroom training, they take care of payment to get your adjuster license, studying time available in class, standard hours

Cons

It was a lot of work in claims, however management if you stay on top of your work.

KSC Regional Claims Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We're happy to hear you enjoyed your experience at California Casualty.

Found 116 reviews