California Casualty Employee Reviews about "small company"

Updated 22 Aug 2020

3.3
California Casualty President and CEO  Joe Volponi
Joe Volponi
Pros
  • "They are family owned business and values work-life balance(in 11 reviews)

• "Very Nice work environment and great way to get introduced in to the Insurance industry(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Small company so not too many opportunity for growth(in 7 reviews)

• "For a relatively smaller company, this can be a huge challenge and the updates sometimes seem to come rather slowly(in 5 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "small company"

Return to all Reviews

"Below Average"

2.0
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Glendale, AZ

I worked at California Casualty full-time for more than a year

Pros

Compensation, Relaxed Dress code, Location

Cons

Micromanagement is a problem, nitpicking of phone calls, unrealistic sales goals. The atmosphere was good for awhile, but over the past year especially there is a strong toxic feeling throughout the company, especially since the new CEO took over. It is not uncommon to be in the breakroom and hear other employees come in and yell about how bad the changes the company is making. Small company so it will be near impossible to get time off if not planned far ahead. Not much room for advancement at this office. Recently the company has been struggling financially, and benefits are beginning to be cut as well as termination of employees.

September 14, 2020Assistant Vice President, Service Manager

Thank you for sharing this feedback. 2020 has been an extraordinary year, with the largest software implementation in the company’s history…and then on top of that, along came an unprecedented pandemic. This year has certainly brought our fair share of change and challenges. The company remains strong and continues to move forward, confronting each challenge with the dedication and perseverance that California Casualty has been known for since our inception in 1914. As an organization, we remain financially stable. There are times we need to make business decisions to reduce expenses based on long term forecasts. As with most organizations, it is not uncommon and it is a part of doing business. With a great amount of change comes uncertainty and perhaps questions. The company welcomes questions and feedback from all employees at every level. Our open door policy means that employees are free to express their concerns through a variety of means - their manager, any other manager or to Human Resources. I do hope that during your time at California Casualty, you were able to take advantage of this important outlet. Every company has its own unique culture, mission and values. We take extra time and care in our interview process to help candidates evaluate if we are the right fit. The employee/employer relationship has to be mutually beneficial in order for it to be successful; it sounds like we may have been misaligned. I am sorry if you didn’t feel heard or appreciated. We do and will continue to embrace opportunities that place us as a top tier employer! We appreciate the contributions that you made to the company’s success and wish you the best in your next career endeavor.

2. "Actuarial Analyst"

Current Employee - Actuarial Analyst in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at California Casualty full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Employer cares about employee Recently moved to a new office

Cons

Small company so not too many opportunity for growth

California Casualty Response

June 5, 2018Assistant Vice President, Talent Acquisition Mgr & Sr. HR Business Partner

Thank you for your positive comments in regards to your time at California Casualty. It is valuable employees, such as yourself, that makes the company successful. Just last week, the San Mateo office did move the office location to a more modern facility nearby. It is our hope that this move provides our employees with additional amenities that increase their level of satisfaction in the work environment. This new facility offers up to date technology, a state of the art fitness center, health and wellness classes and an onsite café. We are excited to call this new space “home”. California Casualty is a private, family owned organization with less than 700 employees nationwide. Therefore, our promotional opportunities are limited due to the size of the organization. However, the company recognizes that the employees are our greatest asset, so we therefore, look for opportunities to increase our employee’s skillsets with projects, additional skill/knowledge development, etc. We encourage you to have an open and ongoing dialogue with your manager in regards to your development. We appreciate your contributions to the organization and look forward to your continued success.

"Steady Position/Management"

4.0

I have been working at California Casualty full-time

Pros

With a proactive attitude there is a lot of opportunity to learn from your peers and management in this position.

Cons

Small company makes advancement opportunities few and far between, but opportunities will arise in time and you will be rewarded with advancement if you come to work and perform with focus and integrity.

September 7, 2016Assistant Vice President, Staffing Manager

Thank you so much for sharing this feedback! We’re happy to hear that you enjoy working at California Casualty. With our company being a smaller, family owned organization, we do realize that opportunities for advancement are more limited; however, we strive to find other ways to expand employees’ skills and knowledge so that we are always improving. We also encourage our employees to work together and rely on one another to keep up with the fast pace of our organization and the industry. We hope that you will continue to share your ideas with us and your peers, so we can continue putting our best foot forward!

"Actuarial Analyst"

I worked at California Casualty

Pros

Friendly and supportive coworkers. Knowledgeable managers.

Cons

Small company, no room for upward mobility.

December 11, 2015Assistant Vice President, Staffing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to review California Casualty. I also believe that we have friendly and knowledgeable employees in the organization. We strive to ensure that all our employees encompass an atmosphere of teamwork and comradery. As you mentioned, we are a smaller organization, therefore, we do have less promotional opportunities available. However, we are committed to the growth and development of our employees and work hard to provide new projects, assignments, etc. to enlarge each employee’s knowledge and experience. We want our employees to feel valued! We appreciate the contributions that you made while with the organization and wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.

"Claims Adjuster"

4.0
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Phoenix, AZ
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at California Casualty full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's a small atmosphere so not like a busy call center. You have time to work your claims. Unlike other companies, the call volumes and the workload is manageable. Even with their change to an all day queue system, I actually can't wait to be able to make my calls and do my work when I need to! There's other opportunities to grow as a claims adjuster here since you handle auto, injury and property claims. The variety makes the day go by fast. I actually have a great manager who knows her stuff. The other employees have been here a long time, so they've done their time and they have awesome experiences and knowledge. Sure, I've heard them talk about me, too, but once I've mastered their systems and handled the claims in a consistent way, I'm sure that will stop. Don't let it get to you. It's just a job and there's plenty of work to focus on. Time off is hard to get when competing with high seniority, but that comes with any company that someone is new to. Some of the employees have their kids stay with them at their desk, so this is a company that understands when parents are in a bind with daycare, etc. ~ you don't find that at other companies! The customers can be difficult, but this is an industry where people are upset and not always happy with your decision. As for the older customers, I find them a delight to talk with and they are the first ones to make me feel good about what I do for them. Also, the pay is great! Maybe not the benefits, but then, in today's work environment, what company is delivering awesome benefits anymore? This is a great change for someone who has done claims at other companies. You can bring your experience and build on it, once you get past their systems. If you're new, I would think this is a great place to learn, too. Every new adjuster struggled and felt overwhelmed their first 2 years. If you can get past that and focus on the work, you'll actually find some enjoyment in it.

Cons

Systems are outdated and hard to maneuver through. My only concern is it affects my body. Lots of repeat steps to accomplish something and it's taking its toll on the hands and arms. It's a small company so they don't have the means to improve their systems right now, but it does sound like an excuse when they say that every time. As employees, we don't like excuses any more than leaders like to hear them from their workers. At least acknowledge it and get a plan in place to work on or solve the problem in the future (even if it is a 2-5 year plan). Otherwise, you (the leaders) run the risk of being considered "part of the problem". I do miss having a company that supports getting your AIC or CPCU or SCLA. Wish there was some sort of incentive to pursue this, even if it was "performance based". Just like seniority earns you the pick of time off, I wish my performance would allow me the "pick" of classes the company would sponsor.

January 21, 2015Vice President - Employee Relations

We appreciate the contributions that you make on behalf of our Company as a Claims Adjuster. It is employees like you, that are focused on doing the right thing for our customers, that makes us successful and a great place to work. At California Casualty we pride ourselves on a work environment where everyone can do their best work, with the best tools available. We evaluate our internal technology systems throughout the organization and make updates, modifications, and changes when and where appropriate. We also believe that employee development is an important aspect to our employee and company success. Therefore, Educational Assistance is offered, however, it begins with employees reviewing and discussing their continuing education and development goals with their managers. Other educational opportunities are also available through our online award winning CalCas University. Thank you for your continued efforts and feedback.

"It has been an amazing ride!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at California Casualty full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I've worked at California Casualty for 14 years and it has been a great experience. No company is perfect, but what I can say is that the company really cares about its customers AND employees. There is a lot of tenure in the organization with many employees working here 20+ years. The executives are great. Most know and interact with employees regularly. The Chairman and CEO, Beau Brown, literally knows everyone here by name. Seriously, where are you going to find that at another company? This truly is a family and I'm proud to be a part of it.

Cons

Because we are a small company, promotional opportunities are slim. However, the company does try to find ways to grow you in your position with challenging assignments, projects, etc. Also, we tend to try and fix our IT systems internally, because they were created internally. I think we could do better, by improving our technology with something we didn't create ourselves.

June 23, 2014CEO

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about California Casualty being a company that is truly a family and really cares about our employees. We are fortunate to have employees like you who have been loyal to the company and to our customers for so many years. I am also optimistic about our future!

7. "AVP Service Operations"

5.0
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President Service Operations in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at California Casualty full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits, culture and the business is family owned

Cons

Small company in a very competitive market

Viewing 1 - 7 of 7 English Reviews

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.