California Casualty Employee Reviews about "smaller company"

Updated 30 Oct 2016

3.3
California Casualty President and CEO  Joe Volponi
Joe Volponi
Pros
  • "They are family owned business and values work-life balance(in 11 reviews)

• "Very Nice work environment and great way to get introduced in to the Insurance industry(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Small company so not too many opportunity for growth(in 7 reviews)

• "For a relatively smaller company, this can be a huge challenge and the updates sometimes seem to come rather slowly(in 5 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "smaller company"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "California Casualty (claims) is not your every day 9-5 job!"

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at California Casualty full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Working at Cal Cas offers a variety of day to day claims handling. This allows personal growth and positive challenges that a mundane 9-5 position may not offer. I enjoy that after 14+ years with Cal Cas, I am still able to come to work and learn something new each day. Cal Cas offers competitive wages, on-going education (for those interested in pursuing), and state mandated testing for claims handling.

Cons

Cal Cas is a smaller company, permanent advancement does take time however, management is aware of those that are looking to progress their careers with the company.

November 9, 2016Assistant Vice President, Staffing Manager

Thank you for sharing! We appreciate that you have taken advantage of the opportunities available to you for growth and development. Continuous learning is a core competency within the organization and one that we require of all employees. Our California Casualty code even speaks to growth and development way back in 1965. With such tenure among our employees and being a smaller organization, we realize that advancement opportunities are more limited. However, we strive to create opportunities for our employees to grow their skills in a variety of ways with new assignments, development opportunities, projects, etc. Thank you for all that you contribute to our success.

"Great Company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at California Casualty full-time

Pros

I enjoy working for a family-owned business. I can make a difference here, whereas at a large public organization, you are just a number.

Cons

There are some trade-off working for a smaller company. We may not have the biggest and best of everything, but that's OK. We have the essentials.

July 16, 2015CEO

Thank you for your advice to management about continuing to be engaged with employees. That is great advice. You have my commitment to remain engaged with our awesome employees, and I know our entire management team feels the same way! Beau

"Sales"

in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at California Casualty

Pros

I have worked for California Casualty for many years. Seen many "ups" and a few "downs" as any company experiences over the course of several decades. This Enterprise has a palpable heartbeat and a great compassion and care for the customers it serves and for the fellow employees who work here. The front line sales employees overall demonstrate a refreshing commitment to the members/customers on a daily basis. They also help each other out even though their is friendly competition amongst each other. Management does their best to support and nurture them, and abide by the Code which was established back in 1965. I feel that each member of the management team has their employees best interest in their respective hearts. There is a lot of teamwork and care between all the employees in Sales- which helps our tenure and experience level in an environment (sales in general) that normally has higher turnover. The intimate private family owned company environment is refreshing as well. You are not a number here... you truly can and do make a difference to the overall results of the Enterprise.

Cons

Our IT support is stretched and challenged by systems that are in the process of being modernized and updated. For a relatively smaller company, this can be a huge challenge and the updates sometimes seem to come rather slowly.

July 25, 2015CEO

Yes. Any company that is around long enough will have its "ups" and "downs", as you state. Your comment about California Casualty having a "palpable heartbeat" and "compassion and care" for our customers really resonated with me. The heartbeat is maintained by our dedicated and experienced supervisors and managers who, in turn, hire compassionate and caring employees who will deliver for the educators, education support professionals, law enforcement officers, firefighters and nurses who are our customers. Your comment about "teamwork" in Sales caught my attention as well. We have many Sales professionals who have been with the company 5, 10 or more years. They contribute greatly to the strong team environment in Sales. My perception is that they are so proficient at their own jobs that they are able to turn outward to help those who are newer to the company. I appreciate their leadership! Finally, I agree that it is a challenge to maintain IT systems as a small company doing business in 43 states plus the District of Columbia. I do commend our IT team for recently rolling out a brand new auto quoting system that has a modern architecture and is highly stable. As you state, it will take time to bring all of our legacy applications into the new environment.

"I have essentially grown up with CalCas, spending the majority of my career here, learning and loving what I do."

Current Employee - Team Manager in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at California Casualty full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Employees care about each other and their customers. The salary and benefits are great and there is work-life balance. Family atmosphere. Code of ethics adhered to.

Cons

Smaller company = older computer systems

June 20, 2014Executive Vice President Sales, Marketing & Service

We appreciate your feedback! California Casualty prides itself on being an open, flexible workplace. We encourage and welcome communication and interaction with individuals at all levels of the organization. We strive to provide an environment that people enjoy coming to every day; and we’re glad to hear that you are a part of that experience! Thank you for all your contributions.

5. "This is the best company I've worked for!"

4.0
    Current Employee -

I have been working at California Casualty full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The atmosphere is great! Everyone is always smiling and the positivity all around is very uplifting and motivating. The executives and upper management do a great job of interacting with everyone and being approachable. They encourage employees to make decisions and it's even OK to make a mistake every once in awhile. The tenure among the employees is also very impressive; there are people going on 20-30+ years with the company and that's not something you see very many places.

Cons

Being a smaller company, there aren't a lot of opportunities for movement up the ladder. They do try to provide opportunities to develop skills and participate in other activities outside of your regular scope of responsiblities, which is appreciated. The technology and systems are a bit behind the times, which can make doing certain things challenging and more cumbersome.

June 16, 2014Vice President - Employee Relations

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! We are glad to hear that you enjoy the environment at California Casualty. We very much encourage employees to share their thoughts on ways to make our company even more successful and we also appreciate the learning opportunities that occur as well. Our highly valued employees, both new and more tenured, are absolutely key to California Casualty being able to serve our customers in the best way possible.

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 English Reviews

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.