California Casualty Employee Reviews about "work environment"

Updated 4 Dec 2020

3.3
California Casualty President and CEO  Joe Volponi
Joe Volponi
Pros
  • "They are family owned business and values work-life balance(in 11 reviews)

• "Very Nice work environment and great way to get introduced in to the Insurance industry(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Small company so not too many opportunity for growth(in 7 reviews)

• "For a relatively smaller company, this can be a huge challenge and the updates sometimes seem to come rather slowly(in 5 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work environment"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Insurance"

1.0
    Former Employee - Computer Programmer in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at California Casualty full-time

Pros

Easy work environment to be in.

Cons

Leadership lacks within the organization.

California Casualty Response

December 7, 2020Assistant Vice President, Talent Acquisition Mgr & Sr. HR Business Partner

Thank you for taking the time to leave your thoughts. We work hard to create a work environment where employees feel valued and appreciated. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the work environment. California Casualty has an open door policy at all levels of the organization, which means you can talk to your manager, your department manager, any other manager or to Human Resources. We want to provide multiple outlets for employees to voice their concerns. I do hope you took advantage of that policy and spoke to management while you were within the California Casualty family. It takes everyone working together in order to be successful. We appreciate the contributions you made while with the company. We wish you the best in your professional endeavors.

"Inbound Sales"

I worked at California Casualty

Pros

Very Nice work environment and great way to get introduced in to the Insurance industry. Drastically different product from mainstream insurance companies but they do pay for your license in each state so that is a definate bonus.

Cons

You will need to work more than the suggested hours in order to be successfull

January 17, 2018Vice President, Sales Manager

Thank you for acknowledging our positive work environment; we are pleased you had a good experience being introduced to the insurance industry at California Casualty. Insurance is complex and our product is unique as we provide exclusive benefits that are solely available to our group members, and not the general public. We strive to create a positive onboarding process and transition from our training department to Sales Representatives being a trusted advisor for our group members. We do have high expectations of our employees to be the best they can be, and we coach our advisors for success, starting with licensing, classroom and on the job training. We believe a positive work environment and a work life balance is vital to the success of an organization. We appreciate feedback so that we can offer the best service to our employees and customers.

"Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at California Casualty full-time for less than a year

Pros

This is a wonderful company that is dedicated to its customers, employees, and bottom line (in that order). The most important aspect of business at CalCas is to treat the customer (insured) with honesty and respect. Employees are treated like family at California Casualty. An employees' safety is paramount. California Casualty knows and lives the philosophy, "if you take care of others, they will in return, take care of you". It is one thing to hear a company "talk" about putting customers and employees first; it is another thing to experience the words put into action. Existing employees are excited to welcome new hires and offer help at every turn. The work environment feels inclusive and optimistic. I can't say enough great things about California Casualty!

Cons

Honestly, none that I can think of.......I've been working here about 5 months so far.

April 22, 2015CEO

Thank you for highlighting California Casualty's focus on its customers and employees. Like you, I truly feel that our employees treat customers with honesty and respect. I am pleased to hear that you feel treated well, too! Congratulations to your co-workers for creating an atmosphere that is "inclusive" and "optimistic". Those words are music to my ears! Beau Brown, CEO

"Claims Adjuster"

4.0
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Phoenix, AZ
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at California Casualty full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's a small atmosphere so not like a busy call center. You have time to work your claims. Unlike other companies, the call volumes and the workload is manageable. Even with their change to an all day queue system, I actually can't wait to be able to make my calls and do my work when I need to! There's other opportunities to grow as a claims adjuster here since you handle auto, injury and property claims. The variety makes the day go by fast. I actually have a great manager who knows her stuff. The other employees have been here a long time, so they've done their time and they have awesome experiences and knowledge. Sure, I've heard them talk about me, too, but once I've mastered their systems and handled the claims in a consistent way, I'm sure that will stop. Don't let it get to you. It's just a job and there's plenty of work to focus on. Time off is hard to get when competing with high seniority, but that comes with any company that someone is new to. Some of the employees have their kids stay with them at their desk, so this is a company that understands when parents are in a bind with daycare, etc. ~ you don't find that at other companies! The customers can be difficult, but this is an industry where people are upset and not always happy with your decision. As for the older customers, I find them a delight to talk with and they are the first ones to make me feel good about what I do for them. Also, the pay is great! Maybe not the benefits, but then, in today's work environment, what company is delivering awesome benefits anymore? This is a great change for someone who has done claims at other companies. You can bring your experience and build on it, once you get past their systems. If you're new, I would think this is a great place to learn, too. Every new adjuster struggled and felt overwhelmed their first 2 years. If you can get past that and focus on the work, you'll actually find some enjoyment in it.

Cons

Systems are outdated and hard to maneuver through. My only concern is it affects my body. Lots of repeat steps to accomplish something and it's taking its toll on the hands and arms. It's a small company so they don't have the means to improve their systems right now, but it does sound like an excuse when they say that every time. As employees, we don't like excuses any more than leaders like to hear them from their workers. At least acknowledge it and get a plan in place to work on or solve the problem in the future (even if it is a 2-5 year plan). Otherwise, you (the leaders) run the risk of being considered "part of the problem". I do miss having a company that supports getting your AIC or CPCU or SCLA. Wish there was some sort of incentive to pursue this, even if it was "performance based". Just like seniority earns you the pick of time off, I wish my performance would allow me the "pick" of classes the company would sponsor.

January 21, 2015Vice President - Employee Relations

We appreciate the contributions that you make on behalf of our Company as a Claims Adjuster. It is employees like you, that are focused on doing the right thing for our customers, that makes us successful and a great place to work. At California Casualty we pride ourselves on a work environment where everyone can do their best work, with the best tools available. We evaluate our internal technology systems throughout the organization and make updates, modifications, and changes when and where appropriate. We also believe that employee development is an important aspect to our employee and company success. Therefore, Educational Assistance is offered, however, it begins with employees reviewing and discussing their continuing education and development goals with their managers. Other educational opportunities are also available through our online award winning CalCas University. Thank you for your continued efforts and feedback.

"Great place with great people."

4.0
    Former Employee - MDA in Riverside, CA

I worked at California Casualty full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Easy work environment. I worked out of my home. Once your hired they put a lot of faith and trust in you to manage yourself. As long as the work gets done they leave you alone.

Cons

Starting salary was on the low side. The benefits were ok. They made me buy my own cell phone. But really not a lot of bad things to say.

November 5, 2014Assistant Vice President, Staffing Manager

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. California Casualty strives to place trust and confidence in all employees to work independently, whether they are located in the field or in one of our facilities. We are glad to know that you appreciated your work environment. In order to attract and retain talented employees, we regularly review our policies and practices to ensure that we are competitive in the marketplace. In order to support field employees, our policy is to provide reimbursement for any business related expense, which would include the use of a cellular telephone.

6. "Great Company to work for! Family owned feel."

Current Employee - Team Manager

I have been working at California Casualty full-time

Pros

California Casualty spends a lot of time focused on the employees. It's a fun work environment focused on the helping you meet your career goals. Customer service is very focused on the overall customer experience.

Cons

Nothing to say about this right now. Very happy here.

July 18, 2014Assistant Vice President, Staffing Manager

We are very proud of the training and development opportunities available to our employees. They are crucial to our success, and the fun, yet professional work environment is a big reason so many stick around for so long! Thank you for sharing your thoughts, and being part of our great team!

"Fabulous and rewarding place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at California Casualty full-time for less than a year

Pros

Family owned, employees are treated with respect and valued, great work environment. There is also great HR and Learning and Development support for work place issues or for those who want to advance. I am six months in and feel valued, challenged and appreciated. No place is perfect but I have talked with many people here who left other work environments to join California Casualty, and what more can you say about a company that boasts hundreds of employees with 25 years or more who still work here.

Cons

Expectations are high but attainable.

May 28, 2014Assistant Vice President, Staffing Manager

Welcome to California Casualty! We take great pride in being an employee-friendly workplace and place a high value on employee retention. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts here; it is very much appreciated.

8. "Alright company"

I worked at California Casualty full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice people, good work environment.

Cons

Things are a little slow, but it is insurance.

"Management Needs Improvement"

2.0
    Claims Adjuster

I have been working at California Casualty

Pros

Casual work environment Ethical procedures Able to work half days and be paid for full if you are sick

Cons

Poor management Favoritisim Lack of leadership Expectations are unrealistic Lack of written policy and procedure, they seem to make it up as they go at times. Very confusing. Poor benefits

Viewing 1 - 8 of 9 English Reviews